Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

i'd go Fedor for best ground n pound, shogun's in the conversation though

I agree, I think Fedor has the most brutal ground n pound in MMA but I definitely agree that Shogun is up there too. I hate it when you hear Mike Goldberg talk about how great Tito Ortiz's ground n pound is. Tito sissy taps compared to Fedor and Shogun.

D0ubles, I found out that the Florian seminars are $70 a piece. :yikes: But he is a pretty top tier UFC fighter, so I'd expect that from a high level guy.

I think I'm just going to go to my regular class on Saturday and save some dough. As much as I'd like to go, I don't know how much time we'd get one-on-one with Florian on the mat. If a ton of people show up it won't be too much.

I agree, I think Fedor has the most brutal ground n pound in MMA but I definitely agree that Shogun is up there too. I hate it when you hear Mike Goldberg talk about how great Tito Ortiz's ground n pound is. Tito sissy taps compared to Fedor and Shogun.

D0ubles, I found out that the Florian seminars are $70 a piece. :yikes: But he is a pretty top tier UFC fighter, so I'd expect that from a high level guy.

I think I'm just going to go to my regular class on Saturday and save some dough. As much as I'd like to go, I don't know how much time we'd get one-on-one with Florian on the mat. If a ton of people show up it won't be too much.

Yeah screw that, I can't be spending that much dough to get subbed by a guy 50 pounds lighter than me. Yeah mom, he put me in a gogoplata it was awesome, by the way can I borrow 20 bucks?

And it's obvious Fedor is the first guy you have to think of when you think ground and pound, but I actually think Shogun is more versatile and deadly with it. Fedor is so good on top but he sometimes takes more of a methodical approach, while Shogun ****ing tries to kill people right away any time they hit their backs.

The sheer slickness that he employs with his ground and pound is insane. It's like he wants to end your life with each strike.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Is anyone going to the Battle of Legends event at the DC Armory this sat? I just heard from a friend of mine who's doing camerawork at a local college about an MMA event. Didn't know it was this one. I was slightly surprised that they managed to get Pedro Rizzo, someone who was once notable. I was expecting a bunch of no names. Goodrich is really nothing and Rizzo is past his prime, the rest up and comers and long shots, still pretty cool that guys like Babalu will be there and Mario Yamasaki will ref. I also didn't know that his brother Fernando Yamasaki has an MMA/BJJ gym in Twinbrook. I'd go if I didn't have work on Sat but I'm trying to go to the weigh ins tomorrow.

And I just looked at the Yamasaki Academy's website and found that Mario Yamasaki is also an instructor there and Kenny Florian will be doing seminars in the Rockville and Fairfax locations for BJJ this sat May 15. That's legit right there.

Edited by expensivegift

I also didn't know that his brother Fernando Yamasaki has an MMA/BJJ gym in Twinbrook. I'd go if I didn't have work on Sat but I'm trying to go to the weigh ins tomorrow.

And I just looked at the Yamasaki Academy's website and found that Mario Yamasaki is also an instructor there and Kenny Florian will be doing seminars in the Rockville and Fairfax locations for BJJ this sat May 15. That's legit right there.

We've been talking about this in the past 2 pages of the thread. :)

That soccer gif is hilarious. Among all the fuss over Daley, let's not forget how weird that fake knee incident was. Koscheck almost stood all the way up, took a peak at the ref and then threw himself to the side while grabbing his eye. It was like he was trying to be a horrible actor.

Rogan said it best, "Josh might want to take a look at the big screen."

Strikeforce: Heavy Dosage, picks:

Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman: Gracie by flying omabarchoke. Hope he takes a few acid showers afterwards to avoid a frisbee sized hole in his body.

Gracie, sub, round 1.

Jacare Souza vs. Joey Villasenor: This looks like a tune-up fight for Jacare, would be stunned if he loses.

Jacare, armbar, round 1.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Bigfoot Silva: This might not be as huge an upset to the hardcore fan base, but I'm taking Silva. Arlovski's chin isn't as weak as it is a fist magnet. When he goes down it's usually from brutally clean shots. Silva is no joke standing, I think he will eventually land a bomb.

Silva, TKO, round 3.

Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers: I am an Overeem fan, but I still can't trust his knack for getting walloped. While Rogers has that aura of a working class guy that fights like a bull and isn't really technically brilliant, I still think he can take some of Overeem's shots and find a home for his hands. Overeem is so much more dynamic and dangerous offensively, but his defense and chin lets him down again.

Rogers, TKO, round 1.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=18&filename=y33u.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Overeem weighed in at 253. Rogers weighed in at 264.

I read that the fans were chanting "horse meat diet" when Alistair took the stage. I can't wait for this fight so Overeem can silence the haters but I have a feeling most Sherdoggers will start calling Rogers a can afterward.

edit: Found a video...

Do1trrzn9ig

Edited by Patrick86L

So you think not a single one of those four fights go to the judges, and three of them end in round 1?

I mean from a fan's perspective it would make for an exciting card, but it seems rather unrealistic. It's possible but very unlikely though two of those fights are horrible mismatches based on Vegas odds.

Overeem weighed in at 253. Rogers weighed in at 264.

I read that the fans were chanting "horse meat diet" when Alistair took the stage. I can't wait for this fight so Overeem can silence the haters but I have a feeling most Sherdoggers will start calling Rogers a can afterward.

edit: Found a video...

I almost didn't recognize Rogers without the hawk. I'm still torn on who to pick for that fight. I want to go with Overeem because his technique is definitely superior but honestly, he hasn't beaten anyone relevant in a long time and he has a tendency to fold like a lawnchair when he gets tagged by someone with power. And Rogers definitely has that power.

Not to mention, Rogers didn't look bad against Fedor.

So you think not a single one of those four fights go to the judges, and three of them end in round 1?

I mean from a fan's perspective it would make for an exciting card, but it seems rather unrealistic. It's possible but very unlikely though two of those fights are horrible mismatches based on Vegas odds.

I think this card is set up intentionally to be entertaining in a way in which four finishes isn't unrealistic. I think Randleman getting submitted is almost automatic, Joey Villasenor hasn't been subbed in a while but if anyone is going to do it, it's Jacare. Arlovski can box but his chin is made of tissue and I'm pretty certain that Rogers/Overeem is going to end in a knock out.

Edited by #98QBKiller

If you leave out Kevin Randleman, there have been 141 fights combined among the fighters that are a part of my picks. Only 14 of them are decisions. That's less than 10%.

And yes, Randleman has been a decision machine lately, but he's also gassed harder than Lutter did against Franklin. He's been subbed by the likes of Cro Cop and Ron Waterman. Roger Gracie is arguably the best jiu jitsu practitioner on the planet. Even with two fights I'd be surprised if Roger doesn't sub him the moment they hit the mat.

dont forget tomorrow is also when Din Thomas fights Ricardo Mayorga. Thomas is talking about standing with Mayorga, something tells me he is actually going to do it and be flatlined for his efforts :mad:

Strikeforce Heavy Artillery: Sponsored by BALCO

Roger Gracie vs. Kevin Randleman: Roger Gracie is arguably the best modern bjj guy there is. if there is a bjj tourney out there, he hass won it. i remember reading him saying he hasnt been submitted in competition since he was a blue belt. hopefully he'll work on some other aspects of his game to compliment his jiu-jitsu, but his last name is Gracie so he probably wont. Randleman almost pulled out of this fight due to sickness, i cant see him winning outside the lucky punch

Gracie by Submission, 2nd Round

Jacare vs. Joey Villasenor: Jacare is another jiu-jitsu superfreak. unlike the gracies & demian Maia, his standup has shown consistent improvement. unlike other great bjj players, Jacare has the athleticism & judo background to actually get the fight to the ground. Villasenor is a decent fighter, but this should be a showcase fight for Jacare

Jacare by Submission, 2nd Round

Andrei Arlovski vs. Antonio Silva: Silva has the power to hurt Arlovski (but then again, so does the 3yr old in that youtube video), but his strikes are slow enough to the point Arlovski should be able to see them coming. Arlovski is the much better striker, if he stays on the outside, he should be able to jump in and out before Bigfoot can retaliate. i'm going out on a limb trusting arlovski's chin to hold up for 15 minutes, but i think he will last.

Arlovski by Unanimous Decision

Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers: Overeem has been in with the best K-1 had to offer, so i cant see him being surprised by anything Rogers will offer standing. Rogers could conceivably take him down, but that means taking the chance of being in the clinch against Overeem, not a place Rogers wants to find himself. Overeem isn't one dimensional either, he has a damn tight guillotine Rogers will have to be concerned with as well. Rogers has the power to end anyone's night, but i think Overeem is motivated to get to Fedor. he's going to make an example out of Rogers.

Overeem by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Edited by StillUnknown

That soccer gif is hilarious. Among all the fuss over Daley, let's not forget how weird that fake knee incident was. Koscheck almost stood all the way up, took a peak at the ref and then threw himself to the side while grabbing his eye. It was like he was trying to be a horrible actor.

Rogan said it best, "Josh might want to take a look at the big screen."

Look at this angle. Watch the right knee right when Dan moves his big ass arm out of the way. Looks like it hits him pretty good and shows that Daley had no other intent but to throw an illegal knee. We shouldn't forget that.

10o38jt.jpg

I think Jacare-Villasenor goes to a decision. The rest have finishes. I have no idea who though.

Gracie by Sub

Jacare by decision

No idea on the main two. I can really see both going either way and am very excited to watch them. I've gone back and forth. I'll try to pick tomorrow.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I agree with your logic that it's designed to be more early finishes and more entertaining fights. Strikeforce needs something badly, their last card was one of the most boring series of fights I've seen in MMA in a while. The main card was nothing but full length one sided decisions. I guess the first 2 minutes of the Hendo fight was entertaining but he really looked his age after that.

Look at this angle. Watch the right knee right when Dan moves his big ass arm out of the way. Looks like it hits him pretty good and shows that Daley had no other intent but to throw an illegal knee. We shouldn't forget that.

You sure that wasn't Mirg's tricep nailing Koscheck? :ols: You make a great point, Daley knew what he was doing. I think the frustration set in after the first couple takedowns and Daley didn't mind getting DQ'd at that point. He's the kind of guy that would say the loss was BS if he landed that thing. I don't know about that right knee, it was a love tap. Maybe if it hit him directly in the eyeball, but I'm starting to think Koscheck dove out of the way because he wanted a point taken away from Daley for even throwing the whistler.

Almost like a "what the **** was that?!?!" kind of thing.

If he would have ignored the blatant attempt at the cheap shot, Daley would have only gotten a warning. Talk about one of the most bazaar fights in UFC history.

The knee clipped him for sure. I didn't think it did until later in the round when I noticed that Kos was cut by that knee. It was right in the middle on the hairline.

I'm not a Josh Koscheck "fan" at all. I do respect his skills though. I do believe he hammed it up and I do believe he does it whenever he gets the chance and I don't like it.

Here's the thing though, guys- Shouldn't a fighter be penalized for throwing the illegal knee instead of just for connecting with it? It's the intent that makes the foul IMO.

BTW- Watching the Rampage vs. Evans countdown show right now. It's just confirming for me that Rashad has Quentin's number mentally and at this point in his career is a more well-rounded fighter. If he can avoid getting clipped in the first round (I know- big "if"), he will wear 'Page down and win it by a mile.

Edited by Chachie

I'm really starting to second guess my Rogers pick. I like making a case for the upsets but right now I'm thinking Overeem busts him up. I see him landing leg kicks, knees, basically cutting him up and leaving him confused. I'll stick with my original pick but I have a gut feeling that my gut feeling is merely a gastrointestinal complex. I still think all Rogers has to do is introduce fist to face one good time and he's got this bagged up. The Reem don't like getting hit.

The knee clipped him for sure. I didn't think it did until later in the round when I noticed that Kos was cut by that knee. It was right in the middle on the hairline.

I'm not a Josh Koscheck "fan" at all. I do respect his skills though. I do believe he hammed it up and I do believe he does it whenever he gets the chance and I don't like it.

Here's the thing though, guys- Shouldn't a fighter be penalized for throwing the illegal knee instead of just for connecting with it? It's the intent that makes the foul IMO.

I'll probably get crucified for saying this but I do consider myself a Kos fan. :paranoid:

He was already a great wrestler but he's much improved his standup and is a better all-around fighter and he plays up the heel role perfectly to make things entertaining. I don't really think that he's as much of a dick as he puts off in the cage, I think he enjoys the entertainment side of things, kind of like a Roy Nelson or a Rampage. That being said, he's a great actor inside the cage (eye poke, knee, etc.) and would make an excellent professional wrestler if he were a bigger guy.

Anyway, as far as the question of whether a fighter should be penalized for throwing the illegal blow (even if it doesn't connect), I think that's a gray area in the rules of the sport.

It's hard to say. I tend to lean toward yes, they should be penalized for throwing the illegal blow, I mean say for instance a fighter snuck a foreign object into the ring and tried to use it, failed ,but got caught with it. They would be immediately DQ'd (and maybe even banned from the sport) even though they didn't successfully use the object. I kind of feel that throwing an illegal blow should be the same way. You throw it, you get a point taken off whether it lands or not.

On the other hand, illegal blows sometimes incidentally happen and sometimes they only "kind of" happen. For instance, I've seen both Wandy and Jose Aldo, 'almost' go for soccer kicks in the states although they aren't allowed. I've seen Wandy 'kind of' go for a headbutt in Pride, even though it wasn't allowed. I'm just wondering at what point a referee decides that the blow deserves a point-deduction? Should it be only if the fighter fully executes the move, whether it lands or not? I actually think I could live with something like that. Except for the potential gray area of "did the fighter actually throw it all the way?"

The other thing I mentioned were incidental illegal blows. We see guys unintentionally get popped between the legs all the time with errant leg kicks. I've seen unintentional headbutts happen before, when guys are clinched up and wrestling for position. It happened in Couture/Gonzaga and in Fedor/Nog II, and I'm sure it's happened in other fights. I'm just wondering if they start penalizing for throwing the illegal blow, would it be up to the ref to decipher whether the blow was intentional or not? And if so, would that open up more room for potential bad reffing?

I don't have an answer. Like I said, I tend to lean toward penalizing an illegal blow that is fully executed whether it lands or not, giving the ref power to decide whether it was fully executed. But then there's the question of intention and the potential for error.

One thing that could fix a lot of this would be instant replay. Although that's just another reason to slow the action in a fight in which the fighters may have good rhythm going on.

Definitely a tough subject.

dont forget tomorrow is also when Din Thomas fights Ricardo Mayorga. Thomas is talking about standing with Mayorga, something tells me he is actually going to do it and be flatlined for his efforts :mad:

Thomas has to be saying that to throw Mayorga off. This bout is his if he wants it. I think he gets this to the ground and takes one of Mayorga's arms home with him.

Strikeforce Heavy Artillery: Sponsored by BALCO

:ols:

I'm really starting to second guess my Rogers pick. I like making a case for the upsets but right now I'm thinking Overeem busts him up. I see him landing leg kicks, knees, basically cutting him up and leaving him confused. I'll stick with my original pick but I have a gut feeling that my gut feeling is merely a gastrointestinal complex. I still think all Rogers has to do is introduce fist to face one good time and he's got this bagged up. The Reem don't like getting hit.

I'm having a hard time with this fight too. I just haven't seen enough of Overeem lately to make an accurate decision. And just by looking at his record, I'm not super impressed with who he's beaten lately. If there were no implications, I'd actually want Rogers to win. But I'd much rather have a potential Fedor vs. Overeem than Fedor vs. Rogers II.

I have never really been a Koscheck fan, but I certainly respect his ability. I was actually coming around before the Johnson fight and the eyepoke incident. Between the way he acted after that and his acting after the knee that at best grazed, I have lost most of the respect I had for him the person. Before that fight he seemed to have matured a little and was humbled a little, but that has changed recently. He is a great fighter, but he has very little integrity. He enjoys being the bad guy, and there is money to be made being the bad guy, but you don't need to fake injuries or oversell them. It just makes him look foolish. This is not pro wrestling and it is not soccer.

And, for the record, I am for penalizing a fighter even if a illegal blow even if it does not land clean. Because honestly, the intent is still there.