Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I was just watching Shogun vs Arona last night from Pride Final Conflict 05 and I swear now that he's recovered from his knee surgeries he looks just like he did back then and that's pretty scary for the rest of the division. He's going to be tough for anyone to beat if he keeps fighting like the old Shogun.

I was just watching Shogun vs Arona last night from Pride Final Conflict 05 and I swear now that he's recovered from his knee surgeries he looks just like he did back then and that's pretty scary for the rest of the division. He's going to be tough for anyone to beat if he keeps fighting like the old Shogun.

Yeah I agree, that fearless striker that angles in with beautiful winging strikes seems to be coming back. I don't know if he's totally back to that level yet, but here's to him not having anymore setbacks. How deflating would that be? Knock on wood.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Pick-Rampage-vs-Evans-24752

Pros who picked Evans: 21

Pros who picked Jackson: 17

Pros who couldn’t decide: 9

Nick Thompson: Derrick Noble says Rampage. Derrick knows his fights. But then you have to figure in that while we were at Shine, I put my pad Thai in his chair when he wasn’t looking and he sat in it. He is still mad about this and he may be telling me it’s Rampage when he really thinks Rashad. But then you have to figure in that Noble knows that I know that he is mad, so he would tell me Rampage, knowing that I will know that he is lying and will pick Rashad and it actually is Rampage who will win. Rampage via TKO.

Derrick Noble: Nick Thompson and I were having our usual Pros Pick conversation the other night over dinner when he decided to secretly set his full plate of pad Thai on my seat. He thought this would be amusing, and of course I unknowingly sat right in it. At this point I am fairly angry at him, so out of spite I purposely tell him I pick Rampage to win. With him knowing that I am upset, he probably thought I was telling him Rampage to fool him when I really am picking Rashad. Nick is fairly bright, so he is probably thinking I told him Rampage knowing that he would think it was a trick and pick Rashad, so he will still pick Rampage. Therefore I am picking Rashad by decision.

:ols:

Never get into a battle of wits with a Sicilian!

Yeah I agree, that fearless striker that angles in with beautiful winging strikes seems to be coming back. I don't know if he's totally back to that level yet, but here's to him not having anymore setbacks. How deflating would that be? Knock on wood.

Definitely. Poor Arona, between the Shogun fight and Rampage's slam in your sig, no wonder he isn't in a hurry to come back.

lots of talent in that picture :ols:

i didnt realize King Mo trained with Blackhouse from time to time. he'd be a perfect person to get Anderson ready for Sonnen

I think that is pretty new, and you are right. Hopefully Anderson is taking Sonnen seriously and uses Mo as a trainer partner throughout his camp.

Big Nog must be taking the picture. My, how the mighty have fallen....

Edited by Sebowski

Okay I'll say it...I think Nick Diaz' boxing is overrated. Yeah he puts together some great combos and can finish guys off with an array of different looking punches, but he always gets wrecked in the face. The guy has an amazing chin, not particularly great boxing.

It's fun to watch him just walk through big punches or get dropped and survive, and it's also fun to see him throw about 1,000 punches and not get tired. But I think his pure boxing skills are overrated. I know I'm in the minority.

Okay I'll say it...I think Nick Diaz' boxing is overrated. Yeah he puts together some great combos and can finish guys off with an array of different looking punches, but he always gets wrecked in the face. The guy has an amazing chin, not particularly great boxing.

It's fun to watch him just walk through big punches or get dropped and survive, and it's also fun to see him throw about 1,000 punches and not get tired. But I think his pure boxing skills are overrated. I know I'm in the minority.

i agree with you on his boxing skill. its effective, but its far from being at a high level.

UFC 114: Can't We All Just Get Along?

Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow: russow has an effective, albeit boring game if it hits the ground. Duffee should be able to prevent it from getting there. this fight stays standing, and Duffee gets to eat.

Duffee by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Lil Nog vs. Jason Brilz: poor poor Jason Brilz.

Lil Nog by Submission, Round 1

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller: Miller was outstruck by Demian Maia......allow that to sink in. can't stand bisping, but he's not losing this one

Bisping by Unanimous Decision

Rampage Jackson vs. Rashad Evans: i'm not so much concerned about Rampage's cardio, as i am his cage rust. having cage rust against someone as fast as Rashad can be a problem as it might be tough for Rampage to get his timing down. even though i think Rashad is the better technical wrestler, i think Rampage's size and strength advantage can serve as an equalizer. Rashad gasses when going when going for takedowns early. the best strategy for Rashad would be to emulate Frankie Edgars gameplan against BJ Penn. he should be moving around constantly, never giving Rampage a chance to predict his movement. jump in, flurry, and use his speed advantage to get out before Rampage can get his shots off. if he wants to work on the outside, he should use leg kicks until Rampage decides to check them.

for his part, Rampage needs to not follow Rashad around if he does use movement. Penn's fatal flaw against Edgar was not cutting off the cage. if Rampage has enough boxing savvy to know how to cut off movement, he needs to implement it. pushing Rashad against the cage and working some strikes from inside close range would be a wise strategy as it would likely tire Rashad out late.

Rashad has a tendency to not follow gameplans, if he does so tonight, he gets flat-lined again. against Thiago Silva he showed he could work a gameplan, until he tired in the 3rd.

bottom line, i think the cage rust will be the biggest factor in this fight and will lead to Rampage not being able to time Rashad for that perfect kill shot. (of course now that i've typed this longer than usual analysis, Rampage will KO Rashad in the first 20seconds of the match :mad:)

Rashad Evans by Unanimous Decision

Edited by StillUnknown

UFC 114: Jackson Submission Fighting vs. The A-Team, picks:

Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway: I'm kind of paranoid about this fight because Diego seems a little quiet since getting his long awaited title shot shin-scrapped off his forehead. This is a dude that thrived on thinking he was unstoppable. Well, he isn't. I think he lost a sense of his ridiculous confidence in that fight with BJ. Could be a trap here, but will go with the safe pick because I think he just possesses better all around MMA skills than Hathaway.

Sanchez, Unanimous Decision.

Lil Nog vs. Jason Brilz: Lil Nog.

Lil Nog, KO, round 1.

Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow: If I were to bet on these guys by just looking at them, I'd take Duffee by Donkey Kong hammerfist. But the kid doesn't really have any MMA pedigree. He's a humble young guy, but Russow's wrestling is capable of being the difference here.

Arm bar, Russow.

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller: Barring a flash-submission from Miller, I expect Bisping to control this fight on the feet. I also think Bisping's ground game is enough not to get controlled by Miller. Also, Miller's been going through some tough times in his life. Don't know how you can put 1000% in to training when stuff like that is going on. Will be rooting for him, though.

Unanimous Decision, Bisping.

Rampage Jackson vs. Rashad Evans: Fight has been discussed through and through. Evans has flash KO ability but I really don't like the way he puts together combos. Rampage has never been fine one moment and completely knocked out the next, it takes an epically brutal beat down to hurt that guy's chin. I love his boxing defense, and while he's looked slow as of late, I think Rashad will walk in to something. He's been knocked cold or wobbled in his last two fights, by fighters with less punching power than Rampage. Rashad will get silly and start jumping in and out, only to run in to a hook.

Rampage, KO, round 2.

UFC 114: We're all paying for one fight.

Rampage Jackson vs. Rashad Evans: Rashad Evans has every advantage except punching power.

1. He's got the mental edge by a mile.

2. He's got the training edge. I know Rampage trained hard for this fight but let's face it- Rashad and Greg Jackson do things right all the time. Also- from what I've been seeing in the hype shows, Quentin has been concentrating on his boxing game way more than his wrestling. Mistake.

3. He's got the bigger menu of skills.

4. He's used to grappling with BIG guys. He was rolling with Shane Freaking Carwin in camp. The ground game will make the difference tonight.

5. He's got youth and poise, which will serve him well in the 3rd..

I honestly believe that Evans will fight the smarter fight tonight. He's going to take Jackson down repeatedly and make this a semi-boring ground wrestling competition. He will have Rampage frustrated and sucking air in a round and a half. No way he bangs with Rampage.

I have no idea why I see this as an almost no-win for Quentin, but I just do. If he doesn't get a 1st round KO, this will be a long night for him. I usually root for the "good guy," which would be Evans- but I love me a good cartoon character like Quentin Rampage Jackson. I hope he flattens Rashad and howls while standing over the Zombie Rashad we all enjoyed in the Machida fight.

However...

Rashad Evans by uncontroversial unanimous Decision, maybe even a 3rd round finish.

(Thanks for the template, SU.)

Edited by Chachie

He was getting beat up by Sak and pulled out a sweet sub. Man I heart Nick Diaz.

btw- Are punches to the back of the head legal in Dream? Sakurai threw about 20 and the ref was being awfully nice about it.