Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

But I'd much rather have a potential Fedor vs. Overeem than Fedor vs. Rogers II.

Going by how Fedor's team make matches he is probably more likely to fight Overeem if he loses.

How big of a joke is Fedor-Werdum anyway? I'd say much bigger than Hardy-GSP.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Judge-Grants-King-Injunction-Mayorga-Off-Shine-Fights-Card-24510

Don King Productions was granted its motion for injunctive relief against Shine Fight Promotions and boxer Ricardo Mayorga on Saturday, preventing the boxer from making his MMA debut against former UFC lightweight contender Din Thomas at Shine Fights 3 “World Collide” at the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, N.C.

Broward County, Fla., Judge Marc Gold ruled Shine Fights could not promote the 36-year-old boxer, per his agreement with the boxing promotion. DKP has an exclusive three-year contract with Mayorga, which was signed on October 1, 2009.

“The court found that Mayorga is not a legitimate mixed martial artist and that Shine was not legitimately promoting him as one for this event,” said Brito, “and that the only reason anyone was attending this ‘Worlds Collide’ event was to see how Mayorga faired as a boxer against an MMA fighter.”

According to Brito, Judge Gold suggested that DKP would be successful in proving that Mayorga is in breach of his contract with the boxing promotion. He believed that whether Mayorga won, lost or was injured in his proposed bout with Thomas, DKP would suffer “irreparable damage” in trying to promote Mayorga again as a boxer.

DKP said it has already secured Mayorga’s next boxing assignment against current WBA world middleweight champion Felix Sturm in August or September 2010.

A Shine Fights spokesman told Sherdog.com that the MMA promotion had not yet received the court's decision but would comment when it did. The spokesman said he was unaware of any plans to replace Mayorga on just a few hours notice.

reason #25739 i hate Don King. they've been promoting this fight for months, yet he waited until now to do all this

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Judge-Grants-King-Injunction-Mayorga-Off-Shine-Fights-Card-24510

reason #25739 i hate Don King. they've been promoting this fight for months, yet he waited until now to do all this

mmaweekly:

Don King's best efforts to spoil Ricardo Mayorga's professional MMA debut took a big step forward Saturday. A judge in Broward County, Fla., granted King an injunction to stop the former boxing champion from competing on Shine Fight's Worlds Collide pay-per-view card in Fayetteville, N.C., tonight.

It's only a big step forward because according to Shine Fights they still plan on moving forward with the bout, regardless of the judge's decision.

Shine Fights' PR representative Phil Lanides on Saturday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that they still plan on moving forward with Mayorga's involvement in the fight stating, "Official position at this point is that we're still going forward."

Shine Fights did confirm that they would also alert fans and the media if anything changes in the situation, or if Mayorga will indeed be pulled from the bout tonight against Din Thomas.

The battle between Don King and Shine Fights has been ongoing for the past few weeks regarding the promotional contract Mayorga has with King.

King had sent two separate "cease and desist" orders to Shine Fights to stop Mayorga from fighting for the promotion, and last week filed an injunction to stop the bout from happening. The judge in Broward County Saturday enforced that injunction, but at this time Shine has decided to ignore that order and move forward with the fight.

There was no official word at the time of publication if Shine Fights plans additional legal action to press forward against the judge's order, but stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com as more information will surely be available over the next few hours.

-------

Kind of weird for a judge to make a ruling on a Saturday isn't it? Shouldn't the judge have taken into account that it is the actual day of the fight and maybe too late for such a decision?

i cant imagine Shine Fights will actually go through with it.

i'm sure they will say they will to preserve as many PPV buys as they can, but actually allowing Mayorga to fight after that ruling would be pretty risky.

Can't they start an appeal process? Maybe after the fight the higher court can look at it and rule that it was too late to file an injunction so close to the event. Without the fight everyone will want their money back and there might be a riot in the crowd.

found this on Sherdog :ols:

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/13/1049763/hot-quip-comes-with-presidents.html

A.J. Verel and his friend Jessica Walters were the last people to place a lunch order at the bar before the president walked in. Verel, a champion kick-boxer, said he talked at length with the president about martial arts, kick-boxing and the sport of ultimate fighting, which is illegal in New York State.

Obama impressed Verel by chatting with him about a couple of ultimate fighters who had competed last weekend.

"It's shock and awe," said Verel, 40, of Buffalo, who asked to be considered for the president's fitness advisory council. "My phone was in the car — that's how unprepared I was."

Josh Gross Twitter:

Ricardo Mayorga is out per @KarynBryant. Unfortunate for Din Thomas, who had good sponsorship money lined up for the fight.

---

Where is Seth Petruzelli when you need him?

Edited by Sebowski

Alright I'll lock my picks in.

Rogers by KO. Yes, Overeem has looked good recently, but he hasn't beaten a credible fighter since 2006 (Belfort). I see this pretty close to a pick 'em fight. Rogers won't slip like he did when he fought Fedor. He will fight smart and eventually get the KO.

AA by decision. AA stays outside and boxes Silva for 3 rounds to an uneventful decision

Gracie by sub. Really tempted to bet on Gracie, but I have never laid 5-1 odds before. Tough to justify betting $50 just to win $10.

Jacare by decision. I'll be hoping Villasenoir can land a decent punch at the start of the rounds before he gets taken down for the rest of the round. If he doesn't Jacare cruises to a unanimous decision.

Cavalcante by sub.

...must...resist.....

Should be much better at home in HD on the big screen with beers and friends instead of on my slow office computer. I still can;t believe Showtime delays these live fights for the West Coast. Bad business, imo.

the HD is looking quite beautiful right now

i forgot Feijao was Anderson's boy

Sidenote-

Big Mike made a couple cameos a while back but I haven't seen him here since. Did he get the hammer again?

Yes.

It was less an again, and more a "still" the way I understand it. Apparently there was some disagreement as to whether he should've been reinstated or not.

I can tell you that he is doing well, and is just as big a smartass as ever. And if you know Mikey, you know that's a good sign. :)