Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

So is Fedor now the #1 P4P fighter in the world?

In the last few weeks:

-GSP took Dan Hardy to a decision amid growing criticism that his style is preventing him from finishing fights

-BJ Penn loses the title to Frankie Edgar in a 5-round decision

-Anderson Silva wins a 5-round decision but spends the first two rounds goofing off and the last three fighting a lazy fight, refusing to engage with Demian Maia...something we've seen several times from him before.

Meanwhile, Fedor isn't fighting often but he hasn't let a fight go to decision since 2005, winning the last few fights in impressive fashion.

What do you guys think?

But Anderson was never in any danger. GSP wasn't either, but niether was his opponent (Hardy).

Anderson is #1

Would LOVE to see him fight Fedor.

I say give Anderson James Toney.

Agreed. If he just wants to be a spectacle of the sport, let him box with a pro. Toney will not back away to provide AS his moments of temper tantrum in the ring. That is, unitl, AS kicks his knees in half and he can't stand up. AS would probably still be standing there begging for Toney to attack him even after that, unfortunately

Honestly, 98. Isn't it really odd to you that on his way to an easy victory in 2 rounds, Silva just lost it and turned the house against himself? What was that?

I don't know what he was thinking. But I didn't watch this PPV online, I paid $50 to see it in HD and watch it live because I've been looking forward to this card for months. I've been so excited about the top three fights and I feel pretty ripped off between Anderson's garbage and Renzo asking Matt Hughes to help him up in the middle of a round.

Money isn't even the biggest factor, I buy most of the PPV's and look forward to them all. Sometimes you're going to get a great card, sometimes a card is going to bomb. The biggest factor is the hype and potential behind this PPV. This had the same potential for excitement that UFC 100 had and it's disappointing to see fighters willingly not be game to engage in action.

It would be one thing if these fights were predicated on style matchup (like say two wrestlers negating each other's abilities) but it wasn't. Maia obviously wanted to get Anderson on the ground but later in the fight he let loose and wanted to exchange and he actually got in some heated exchanges but it's annoying to see the champion "ghost" the referee and taunt his opponent for a few rounds, only to avoid competition when the challenger wants to go.

And on top of everything, this wouldn't be so bad if Silva hasn't done this several times before. No wonder the fans went from cheering for him to cheering for Maia and even for GSP who was on the sidelines watching.

And don't get me started on Renzo. I admire the fact that he stood up and wanted to bang but seriously, falling on your ass and asking your opponent to help you up mid-fight? C'mon.

Edited by #98QBKiller

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Sonnen-on-UFC-112-Says-he-s-not-surprised-by-Si?urn=mma,233393

In a fight world littered with media types and fighters who have been afraid to call out Anderson Silva after he puts on awful displays that show a lack of respect for the fans, the sports and his employer, Chael Sonnen has been a bit of a renegade. Before UFC 109, he had some choice words for the UFC middleweight champ. So it's not shocking to hear he had a strong reaction when MMAJunkie tracked him down today for reaction on Silva's ridiculous, clowning win over Demian Maia. Sonnen fired away.

"I wasn't surprised," Sonnen told MMAJunkie. "It is par for the course."

Sonnen, who last fought in February, has been mending injuries and working towards his run for public office in Oregon. He along with Vitor Belfort should be next in line for a shot at the champ.

"There's people out there that need (to be) beaten up – he's one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up."

Sonnen wouldn't go as far calling Silva unsportsmanlike but he did call him a dirtbag. His rant back in January included a diatribe about how Silva shows a lack of respect for the very people who prop him up.

"It’s quite ironic that all the media comes on and talks about how great this guy is for reasons that are completely un-understandable to me. How great Anderson Silva is, and all of us fighters are in the back going, ‘jeez, they’re out there massaging his ego, Anderson hates them so much, he pretends he can’t understand them."

"You want me to let you in on a secret, Anderson Silva speaks perfect English," Sonnen told MMAWeekly Radio. "He just has such a low amount of respect for you and all the rest of the media that he pretends he doesn’t. I’ve had conversations with Anderson Silva in perfect English."

If that's the case, it's probably not too far-fetched to say that Silva has the same lack of respect for ticket buyers and the fans watching at home.

I know he isn't too beloved here, but to me Chael Sonnen is great to listen to. Love when people read his fight picks and get totally pissed off :ols:

That last part about Silva pretending not to understand English is crazy. What a douchebag if that's the case. If he can speak English that would open up a world of promotion and even an almost-definite stint as a TUF coach.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Sonnen-on-UFC-112-Says-he-s-not-surprised-by-Si?urn=mma,233393

I know he isn't too beloved here, but to me Chael Sonnen is great to listen to. Love when people read his fight picks and get totally pissed off :ols:

That last part about Silva pretending not to understand English is crazy. What a douchebag if that's the case. If he can speak English that would open up a world of promotion and even an almost-definite stint as a TUF coach.

There's one reason not let anyone know you speak English.

Edited by Sebowski

Dang hearing you guys talk about everything makes me sad I missed out on this card! Lol! I want to see want Silva did (or didn't do) in the title fight. I'm going to have to watch this when I get back to the States.

The good news, Ricky Story won his 3rd UFC fight in a row last night! :D

Silva was speaking english to Dan Mirgliotta yesterday after the fight as the winner was being announced. Either that or Mirgliotta speaks perfect portugese because the two of them were discussing the warning Dan gave him about running away.

Sonnen's comments are not the first we've heard about Anderson being able to speak english. And yes, I'm liking Sonnen more every time I see him. I have to respect the way he wore out Nate Marquardt.

Arguably the worst fight I've ever seen in the UFC! Silva is a punk, no two ways about it.

My thing is this, if he's such a badass instead of begging Maia to hit him, why not lay down in Maia's guard? I mean, begging a guy to play into your strengths, seriously? If you're so tough AS expose yourself to your opponents strengths.

Dana should put this douchebag on the shelf for a while, make him suffer for the way he acted.

Frankie was impossible for Penn to catch up to. Frankie completely nuetralized Penn's strengths. Still can't believe one of the judges scored the fight 50/45 for Frankie.

As for P4P, how anyone can still argue against Fedor is beyone me. If running around the ring taunting makes you the best then I might as well pick another sport to start following.

As for P4P, how anyone can still argue against Fedor is beyone me. If running around the ring taunting makes you the best then I might as well pick another sport to start following.

I also think Fedor is the P4P #1.

I do still think though, that the case can be made for Silva simply because his physical dominance and ability to transcend weight classes is completely unique. The fact that he's considered a potential opponent for Fedor, Machida or GSP is insane, which means he can possibly prove flat out what P4P really is. (I can't stand him right now, but I gotta be real about it.)

CqO1CaOXup0

Mir seems to be pretty realistic and practical in this interview. he said UFC doesnt usually match fighters coming off a loss with someone coming off a win, so he expects to fight someone like Ben Rothwell or Gonzaga next Edited by StillUnknown

StillUnknown - Your Gracie gif had me laughing out loud here at the office. :ols:

"The Horror." :)

I wish they'd shown it on the broadcast.

Sounds like even though Ricky's fight went to a decision (which I know he's totally pissed about), it might have been more entertaining that the Silva fight, lol. I must watch this Silva fight, the curiosity is KILLING me.

It's sad, I used to really like Silva. However, the last fights I've seen him in and hearing about this fight really make me dislike the guy. He seriously needs his clock cleaned. And don't even ask me why I'm hating Silva now... but still love Brock, haha!

Also, Silva knows a lot more about the English language than he and his interpretter lead people to believe. :)

Such a close fight, man. I say you have to do more to take a belt away but I can't fault Edgar. He executed and the judges saw it. One of them is apparently a fan.
Looking forward to watching this fight too. I'm a big Edgar fan :D

Did BJ half-ass his training for this fight, or what was his deal?

Wait, I don't get it, why wouldn't he want to be a TUF coach? I don't understand his conflict of attention-whoreish interests. :whoknows:

Puts you on the shelf for too long; can't really train to your best when you are in Vegas training others. (semicolon for Chachie)

Did BJ half-ass his training for this fight, or what was his deal?

I think he looked uninspired, confused, and tired by the 4th round. This was simply the BJ that shows up every 3rd or 4th fight. It was ridiculously close though. I think the fact that Edgar took him down twice (only briefly both times) was the difference. Nobody at 155 has done that in years.

Edited by Chachie

he could've been suffering an injury, he usually doesnt have his knee covered like he did last night.

regardless, BJ posted a video on his website saying that he has no excuses and he congratulated Edgar on winning the title

i feel bad for Edgar, he scores one of the biggest upsets in UFC history and because of Anderson its getting very little attention.

Edited by StillUnknown

CqO1CaOXup0

Mir seems to be pretty realistic and practical in this interview. he said UFC doesnt usually match fighters coming off a loss with someone coming off a win, so he expects to fight someone like Ben Rothwell or Gonzaga next

Awesome interview. Reminds me of why I used to like him. Seems humbled. He ends up saying the exact thing Carwin said about him putting on all that muscle. He doesn't know how to use it like Brock and Shane do.

Edited by Sebowski