Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

he could've been suffering an injury, he usually doesnt have his knee covered like he did last night.

regardless, BJ posted a video on his website saying that he has no excuses and he congratulated Edgar on winning the title

i feel bad for Edgar, he scores one of the biggest upsets in UFC history and because of Anderson its getting very little attention.

That's what I was thinking. BJ didn't look right that entire fight. Even in the first round he had kind of a blank look on his face the whole time. I'm wondering if he had an injury or was sick or something.

:ols:

at the Gracie montage

Edited by #98QBKiller

I talked to a guy today that trains with Alan Belcher, he's also a "pro" fighter on one of the small circuits down here in Biloxi. Anyway, I asked him what he thought of AS and his antics and was extremely suprised what he had to say. I asked the question thinking he would state what all of us casual fans have been say but instead he said "what do you expect, they keep putting him in the octagon with guys that don't deserve to be there". I told him if that was the case then why not just take the guy out. He replied that it's hard to get up for a fight knowing the guy doesn't even belong in the same ring as you.

Can't say that I agree with this at all but I guess if you look at it the last couple guys except for Cote were all but fill ins. My thing is this though, if AS is as badass as he thinks he is then why not take the fight to the guy? I know his strength is counterstriking but damn, if the guy isn't going to come to you and you're the champ and the "most feared striker in the game" then by God you should be able to knock someone the **** out at will.

Personally, I'd love to see him step up to someone like Cain V so I can see him get the **** knocked out of him. IMHO there is no way you can rank him anywhere close to Fedor, especially the way he disrespected the fans and the sport.

I talked to a guy today that trains with Alan Belcher, he's also a "pro" fighter on one of the small circuits down here in Biloxi. Anyway, I asked him what he thought of AS and his antics and was extremely suprised what he had to say. I asked the question thinking he would state what all of us casual fans have been say but instead he said "what do you expect, they keep putting him in the octagon with guys that don't deserve to be there". I told him if that was the case then why not just take the guy out. He replied that it's hard to get up for a fight knowing the guy doesn't even belong in the same ring as you.

Can't say that I agree with this at all but I guess if you look at it the last couple guys except for Cote were all but fill ins. My thing is this though, if AS is as badass as he thinks he is then why not take the fight to the guy? I know his strength is counterstriking but damn, if the guy isn't going to come to you and you're the champ and the "most feared striker in the game" then by God you should be able to knock someone the **** out at will.

I saw a guy throw a tantrum and wear himself out. I swear he would have KOed Maia in 3 if he hadn't gone into that flailing fit.

I saw a guy throw a tantrum and wear himself out. I swear he would have KOed Maia in 3 if he hadn't gone into that flailing fit.

Agreed.

I actually love this matchup.

And agreed. I'm really not sure who to pick here. Both can knock each other out and neither will want to take the fight to the ground.

I honestly have to take Franklin. Liddell just has incredibly horrible striking defense. That used to be okay, but people get very clean shots on him these days. Probably take Rich by UD.

Yeah I'm leaning toward Rich but as much as I hate to say it, I think he KO's Chuck. And if that happens, I don't think we'll see Chuck in the ring again.

Miragliotta

:ols:

That's what I was thinking. BJ didn't look right that entire fight. Even in the first round he had kind of a blank look on his face the whole time. I'm wondering if he had an injury or was sick or something.

Cage Potato.com

Quoteworthy:

"I feel BJ won the fight. He was also battling a sinus infection and was on antibiotics, so he was not one hundred percent. I’m not making any excuses, that is just what happened. I didn’t see him lose that fight but I did see him lose the last round. As for effectiveness of punches, I thought BJ had it. Frankie got two takedowns but BJ got up real fast and nothing happened on the ground there, so I don’t know if they could score the fight based on those two takedowns. I’m not taking anything from Frankie Edgar. He fought a real good fight and had a good strategy. His stand-up was good, he was moving a lot in and out real fast. Frankie fought a very good and strategic fight. I don’t want this to be about criticizing Frankie because I like him and he fought well. Going into the fifth round I told BJ that he had to win this round to win the fight. But sometimes things don’t go the right way. Being on antibiotics and struggling to get better from being sick and having a fever over the course of two weeks, these were some of the factors that slowed him down. That wasn’t the BJ Penn that we had in camp for three months going through sparring partners the way he did. We never took Frankie Edgar like he wasn’t a world contender. We took him very serious. We knew he could do damage to BJ in stand up and with takedowns. We were working BJ Penn wasn’t 100 percent, what you saw in the fight was him battling being sick. He didn’t want to call Dana three weeks before the fight and cancel because he was sick. BJ being the champion that he is just went in there and fought."

BJ also put up a video saying the UFC called him and they are working on a rematch.

Cage Potato.com

BJ also put up a video saying the UFC called him and they are working on a rematch.

The fightmetrics for the bout showed that BJ landed more total strikes too. I'm surprised we didn't hear this from BJ earlier though, he's as bad as Tito when it comes to blaming loses on anything but himself.

The fightmetrics for the bout showed that BJ landed more total strikes too. I'm surprised we didn't hear this from BJ earlier though, he's as bad as Tito when it comes to blaming loses on anything but himself.

I disagree. I think BJ almost went out of his way in not telling people. That quote is from his trainer. BJ has done nothing but praise Frankie.

BJ tried to congratulate Frankie in the octagon but Edgar was celebrating with his corner team. He also put out a statement the next day congratulating Edgar on the win. There's no "greasegate" here. If he had a sinus infection he didn't try to throw it up as his scapegoat immediately after the fight like Tito does in the post fight interview of every loss.

I blame the loss on 2 things:

1. BJ didn't show up in top shape.

2. Edgar simply out-hustled him, out boxed him, and took him down twice.

Either way, Baby Jay knows he was beaten.

btw- I watched this fight again on DVR and I still scored it 3 rounds to 2 for BJ Penn. :whoknows:

Just a few quick questions to you all, when it comes to "Octagon Control", who do you think had more of it...Edgar or Penn? Penn had consistent control of the center, while Edgar was dancing circles around him, even though he was along the perimeter the majority of the fight.

Also, how much stock do you put in octagon control? To me, it should really play a big role in close decisions. The person who didn't Anderson Starnes his way through a fight should be given a little more credit when the bout is very closely contested.

Just a few quick questions to you all, when it comes to "Octagon Control", who do you think had more of it...Edgar or Penn? Penn had consistent control of the center, while Edgar was dancing circles around him, even though he was along the perimeter the majority of the fight.

Also, how much stock do you put in octagon control? To me, it should really play a big role in close decisions. The person who didn't Anderson Starnes his way through a fight should be given a little more credit when the bout is very closely contested.

i would give the octagon control edge clearly to Edgar because it was his movement that dictated where the fight took place. BJ never really tried to use angles to stop edgar's movement, he more or less just followed him around the cage. Edgar by no means was running, he just used great in and out movement to really confuse BJ and work his own gameplan

as far as how "octagon control", i agree that it should only play a role in close decisions, but it depends on how its used. Edgar used it perfectly in conjunction with his offense. on the other hand, Couture didnt really do any damage to Vera, even though he controlled him. Octagon control by itself is meaningless to me, but when combined with offense it takes on a different meaning

i too scored it 3-2 for BJ after a rewatch. the last 3 rounds were very close though, i have no problems with Edgar getting the decision. i wouldn't mind if BJ got an immediate rematch. the only other legit contenders are Maynard or Florian (who's 0 for 2 on title shots, with neither fight being remotely close. how many does he get?). i would definitely give the shot to Penn or Maynard before Florian

Edited by StillUnknown

I disagree. I think BJ almost went out of his way in not telling people. That quote is from his trainer. BJ has done nothing but praise Frankie.

That's why I said I was surprised.

i would give the octagon control edge clearly to Edgar because it was his movement that dictated where the fight took place. BJ never really tried to use angles to stop edgar's movement, he more or less just followed him around the cage. Edgar by no means was running, he just used great in and out movement to really confuse BJ and work his own gameplan

as far as how "octagon control", i agree that it should only play a role in close decisions, but it depends on how its used. Edgar used it perfectly in conjunction with his offense. on the other hand, Couture didnt really do any damage to Vera, even though he controlled him. Octagon control by itself is meaningless to me, but when combined with offense it takes on a different meaning

i too scored it 3-2 for BJ after a rewatch. the last 3 rounds were very close though, i have no problems with Edgar getting the decision. i wouldn't mind if BJ got an immediate rematch. the only other legit contenders are Maynard or Florian (who's 0 for 2 on title shots, with neither fight being remotely close. how many does he get?). i would definitely give the shot to Penn or Maynard before Florian

I also agree on 3-2 for BJ. I definitely think that Edgar gets the nod for octagon control, which I agree, by itself shouldn't decide the fight even in a close bout. It also seems like a lot of judges (maybe subconsciously) factor in physical damage even though it's not technically in the rules and I think that was the difference in this fight.