Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18719/anderson-silva-vs-chael-sonnen-targeted-for-august-in-utah-potentially-ufc-117.mma

While UFC president Dana White made it very clear he was unhappy with his middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, following a lackluster appearance at this past weekend's UFC 112 event in Abu Dhabi, the exec isn't hesitating to put "The Spider" back in action.

White announced today during an appearance on ESPN's "Jim Rome is Burning" that the organization was targeting a fight between Silva and top contender Chael Sonnen.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the UFC is targeting Aug. 7 in Salt Lake City, marking the UFC's first-ever trip to Utah.

Additional sources close to the promotion informed MMAjunkie.com that the UFC is eyeing EnergySolutions Arena, home of the NBA's Utah Jazz, as a potential host venue for the event.

Bill Colbert, Director of the Pete Suazo Utah Athletic Commission, told MMAjunkie.com that nothing is yet set in stone, but he acknowledged that he has been in discussion with the UFC.

"We've heard the date," Colbert said. "We've been speaking to the UFC for some time and encouraging them to come to our state. We're eagerly awaiting them to make a formal announcement. But I do understand that they're having discussions with that date in mind."

While the fight would likely serve as a headliner for a pay-per-view card, making the newly announced event UFC 117, White's words in Abu Dhabi leave some doubt as to whether Silva will be slotted into a main event role or if fans will be asked to pay for the card.

"Anderson Silva might be the first champion in history fighting on a prelim," White said following UFC 112. "How do you sell Anderson Silva after tonight? How do you do it? People don't want to see that [expletive]. I don't want to see it."

White didn't offer additional details regarding the event, though he did suggest a repeat performance by the fighter he has frequently touted as the world's greatest could lead to Silva's dismissal from the organization.

Silva has been expected to face slugger Vitor Belfort at UFC 112 until a shoulder injury forced "The Phenom" out of the event. MMAjunkie.com has learned that Belfort's injury will likely keep him shelved until approximately October, this ruling out his involvement in the new card.

Meanwhile, Sonnen earned his way into the title match by virtue of a current three-fight win streak – a run capped off by a unanimous decision win over Nate Marquardt.

Sonnen has openly expressed his distaste for Silva and has promised to make good on his words.

"[silva] is getting beaten up in 2010 by Chael Sonnen," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com this past weekend. "That's been the story from the jump.

"There's people out there that need (to be) beaten up – he's one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up."

i give Sonnen about a 10% chance of winning. the prefight talk will exceed the actual fight by miles

Edited by StillUnknown

Anybody else sensing an upset this weekend? I think Mousasi will just overwhelm King Mo, and while I'm taking Aoki, he might have trouble if he wants to crawl around on his ass in the States. But the Henderson/Shields fight is where I'm sensing the unexpected may happen. Hendo has huge power, Sheilds has sketchy standup, blah blah blah. What worries me is that Hendo is one of those wrestlers who hasn't been totally impervious to being taken down in the past. He's been susceptible to trips and over-pursuing fighters who are off balance or stunned. I'll never forget when Paul Harris double legged him like he was unloading a wheelbarrow. Totally stunned. Unfortunately I forget how Hendo didn't get his spine snapped in half by Paul, gotta watch that fight again. Don't remember him defending any submissions, think he got up from the takedown right away.

Hendo's submission defense has always been his major weakness, we know that, but I think people overstate his striking as well. It's devastatingly powerful but wild and risky. Shields could duck under one and nail a trip ala Big Nog. I think he has a better chance than people are giving him.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

But the Henderson/Shields fight is where I'm sensing the unexpected may happen. Hendo has huge power, Sheilds has sketchy standup, blah blah blah. What worries me is that Hendo is one of those wrestlers who hasn't been totally impervious to being taken down in the past. He's been susceptible to trips and over-pursuing fighters who are off balance or stunned. I'll never forget when Paul Harris double legged him like he was unloading a wheelbarrow. Totally stunned. Unfortunately I forget how Hendo didn't get his spine snapped in half by Paul, gotta watch that fight again. Don't remember him defending any submissions, think he got up from the takedown right away.

Hendo's submission defense has always been his major weakness, we know that, but I think people overstate his striking as well. It's devastatingly powerful but wild and risky. Shields could duck under one and nail a trip ala Big Nog. I think he has a better chance than people are giving him.

I could have not said it better myself. The more time I have to think about this fight, the more I am thinking that there could be an upset. I love Hendo, but the last time he faced a great ground guy was Paul Harris, and there were a lot of times that Hendo got lucky in that fight IMO. If that fight happened now, it might not have the same result. On paper, Hendo should win, he is going to be the much bigger fighter when they step into the cage and he does have a big advantage in the stand up game. But he does swing wild with his punches and has a have a pretty big hole in takedown defense.

This is a very dangerous fight for Strikeforce. They have signed Dan to be the U.S. face of the organization and this is Shields' last fight under contract, with no stipulations holding him in Strikeforce if he is still the champion. Shields has made no secret of the fact that his goal is to end up in the UFC. I think that would be a huge blow if the new face of Strikeforce loses in his first fight and the champ bolts to go to the UFC. People criticize Dana for having the champion clause in contracts, but I think it makes good sense. It has not been an issue for the UFC in a while, since Randy challenged the clause and failed, but it could end up being a huge issue for Strikeforce if Shields pulls the mild upset on Saturday.

This is a very dangerous fight for Strikeforce. They have signed Dan to be the U.S. face of the organization and this is Shields' last fight under contract, with no stipulations holding him in Strikeforce if he is still the champion. Shields has made no secret of the fact that his goal is to end up in the UFC. I think that would be a huge blow if the new face of Strikeforce loses in his first fight and the champ bolts to go to the UFC. People criticize Dana for having the champion clause in contracts, but I think it makes good sense. It has not been an issue for the UFC in a while, since Randy challenged the clause and failed, but it could end up being a huge issue for Strikeforce if Shields pulls the mild upset on Saturday.

Strikeforce's CEO said they have a 1-fight option left on Shields' contract after saturday

Anybody else sensing an upset this weekend? I think Mousasi will just overwhelm King Mo, and while I'm taking Aoki, he might have trouble if he wants to crawl around on his ass in the States. But the Henderson/Shields fight is where I'm sensing the unexpected may happen. Hendo has huge power, Sheilds has sketchy standup, blah blah blah. What worries me is that Hendo is one of those wrestlers who hasn't been totally impervious to being taken down in the past. He's been susceptible to trips and over-pursuing fighters who are off balance or stunned. I'll never forget when Paul Harris double legged him like he was unloading a wheelbarrow. Totally stunned. Unfortunately I forget how Hendo didn't get his spine snapped in half by Paul, gotta watch that fight again. Don't remember him defending any submissions, think he got up from the takedown right away.

Nope. Don't see an upset. Bet the house on Hendo.

24ot5i1.gif

I didn't know Mayorga was planning on doing MMA.

Din Thomas vs El Matador Mayorga

May 15

Not too familiar with SHINE fight promotions but heres the fight card

Din Thomas vs. Ricardo Mayorga

Murilo “Ninja” Rua vs. Falaniko Vitale

Nick Thompson vs. Eduardo Pamplona

Braulio Estima vs. Rick Hawn

Alexandre Ferreira vs. Jamal Patterson

Luiz Azeredo vs. Luiz Firmino

Looks pretty good.

Edited by tone_dubbz

Bellator Fighting Championships had one of the worst stoppages i've ever seen a ref make

ben askren had his opponent in a modified neck crank, the guy didnt come close to tapping, yet the ref stopped it

o0p3xc.jpg

I agree one of the worst stoppages I have seen. The opponent's reaction tells the story.

Edited by Patrick86L

Strikeforce: please ignore other playoff sports and watch us

Gilbert Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki: champion vs. champion, hasn't really received the hype it deserves. Melendez has the clear striking advantage, but then again, who doesnt against Aoki? Melendez also has the wrestling advantage so he should be able to keep it standing. For his part, Aoki has a knack for getting fights to the ground one way or the other:

jj9p1k.gif

Aoki is very good at catching kicks and attaching himself to his opponent and dragging them to the ground. Melendez trains with some great bjj guys, but i'm not sure any amount of preparation will prepare him for what Aoki can do on the ground, especially in regards to foot/leg/kneelocks. Melendez would be wise to keep distance and work his boxing from the outside. I want to see Aoki win, but i think Melendez is on a roll right now. he takes Aoki out late, after surviving a couple of submission scares.

Melendez by (T)KO, round 4

Gegard Mousasi vs. King Mo: Mo truly has world class wrestling and 1 shot kill power, but i think this is too much too soon for Mo. Mousasi has too many ways to win the fight. simply taking him down doesnt remove the danger level for Mo as Mousasi is pretty good off his back. Mousasi will be put in bad positions during this fight, but he never seems to get rattled much in fights. i see Mo leaving a limb exposed after getting a takedown and mousasi capitalizing for the submission.

Mousasi by Submission, 3rd Round

Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson: Shields can do nothing to Hendo standing. shields has good wrestling and hendo has shown lapses in takedown defense before, but i cant see an undersized MW putting him on his back. should be a routine win for Henderson sometime in the 2nd.

Henderson by (T)KO, Round 2

Edited by StillUnknown

Gilbert Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki: Melendez rolls with the Diaz Bros, Jake Shield, and Cesar Gracie. He will not be afraid of Aoki's ground game. This may come back to haunt him. I think he'll sneak in the power shot on the ground and get the TKO at some point.

Melendez by TKO

Gegard Mousasi vs. King Mo: I haven't seen (or maybe it's remember seeing) too much tape on either of these guys. I'm feeling the upset.

Mo by KO, 2nd Round

Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson: Hendo is too much for Shields

Henderson by (T)KO, Round 2

Edited by Sebowski

I like how Sebowski is making it incredibly hard for me to go for an upset pick with Shields. Meh, there's no way I can pick against Hendo here anyway, it's just a hunch. I also agree that Lawal is flying under the radar, he just looks very green at the sport still. Hellofa wrestler though. When he all of a sudden hits his stride, watch the **** out.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll