Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Bellator Fighting Championships had one of the worst stoppages i've ever seen a ref make

ben askren had his opponent in a modified neck crank, the guy didnt come close to tapping, yet the ref stopped it

Finally got to watch Bellator from Thursday. That stoppage was horrible. The rest of the fights were good though. I really like the announce team. That is half the battle with these shows. The color guy is Jimmy Smith from that show a couple years ago where him and another guy would go to a country for a week and learn their fighting styles. He does a great job. I also really like the format. Only problem is that you have to really extend your dvr to make sure you get the fights since they start late if the local games before them go late.

Strikeforce: LET'S GO CAPS, picks:

Will be hot on the "return to channel" button tonight.

Shinya Aoki vs. Gilbert Melendez: I've never been sold on Aoki, and I'm feeling an upset tonight. Even though to me, if Gilbert wins, it's not much of an upset at all. Aoki is one of the most unique fighters ever, but I don't think that crazy Japanese style will work too much over here. Melendez, KO, round 2.

Gegard Mousasi vs. King Mo: The one pick I've regretted changing the most was changing my pick to win the DREAM GP a couple years ago. I totally finished writing out my picks and had Mousasi winning it all. But the Manhoef hype got to me, and I changed my pick at the last second. Like I said before, I think King Mo is just too ripe at this sport to hang with Mousasi, and I'll be hard-pressed to ever pick against Gegard again. Mousasi, triangle, round 2.

Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson: To me, this is a trap fight for Henderson. He has a hell of a lot of advantages here, but he has one major disadvantage. It's clear Hendo just wants a belt around his waist, and I have a weird feeling he already thinks it's in the bag. I think Shields comes out tonight with a purpose we've never seen him have before. I think he considers this his career-defining fight. That said, no amount of purpose can keep you awake after a Dan Henderson hook. Hendo, TKO, round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Shinya Aoki vs. Gilbert Melendez: I've never been sold on Aoki, and I'm feeling an upset tonight. Even though to me, if Gilbert wins, it's not much of an upset at all. Aoki is one of the most unique fighters ever, but I don't think that crazy Japanese style will work too much over here. Melendez, KO, round 2.

Melendez is the betting favorite in this fight actually

i am amazed king mo kept up that pace

He impressed me big time last night. I thought he was gassed at the end of the 2nd. He dictated pace, and simply roughed up a very dangerous man. What a display of sucking it up and pushing forward. Huge heart on King Mo.

Shields is an iron man and last night he beat a legendary iron man. He's for real too. Subbing Lawler and wearing Hendo out are not small tasks.

I don't think the Melendez fight was any surprise at all. Aoki needs more facets in his game if he's going to compete over here.

I remember thinking last night that Strikeforce had just killed it's rep. Maybe not though. I don't think Miller was trying to have a physical confrontation with anyone, despite being rude enough to crash the cage and Shields post fight interview. I love the Diaz Bros but they have got to tone it down a notch. That was insane. I think Shields and Mayhem were about to start jawing in a competitive but jovial manner when Gang Diaz went all "Stockton." :rolleyes:

Nick forgets he's crashed the cage party before too.

I'm never second guessing myself again. How is it being homeless, Sebowski? :mad:

It's cool. King Mo is letting me crash at his place.

I worked a 14hr day then tried to watch the fights around 11pm. I struggled through the Melendez-Aoki fight. Finally dozed off in the 3rd of the Hendo-Shields fight. Woke up and my DVR had started replaying the card. I queued it back up and saw the 4th round before my DVR cut out despite me adding an extra 30 minutes to the recording. They just had to squeeze in the Mayhem "highlights" against a can didn't they? What was he even doing in the ring to begin with? He is not a top contender. Strikeforce is just trying to sell him as a character and they are trying way too hard.

I digress. Hendo looked terrible. Dana is feeling pretty good right now. I can't believe Dan couldn;t get more control on the undersized middleweight champ.

Now let me get this straight. Mousasi's plan was to take Mo into the later rounds and gas him out because Mo had never been in the later rounds before. Meanwhile Mousasi himself had never been past round 2 before in his 10yrs of fighting, and Mo is used to wrestling tournaments. Ok. Good luck with that.

They are saying Mo might enter the DREAM tournament. Great way to beef up a resume in a short period of time. I hope he does it. It would be interesting to see a rematch in the ring with Japanese rules.

I'd also be interested in seeing Aoki get to fight Melendez in a ring with his pants on and no cage to be pushed against. I'd probably still take Melendez, but it would be interesting. He'd be wise to leave the butt scoot at home for a rematch. A compatent ref would let him get punched in the face like Melendez was doing all day. He was timeing that scoot prefectly. Too bad Mazagatti got in the way of that one. We could have had our ponly finish of the night (besides the Diaz Bros stomping out Mayhem. 209, ****es!!!!!).

Love this shot

diaz-punch.jpg

How many times do the Diaz Bros have to tell people not to **** with the 209 before people start to listen?

I'd love to see Nick take Mayhem out, but Mayhem doesn't deserve to be in the ring with Nick.

LOL, that picture is so funny. You can tell Shields' punch wouldn't even phase Keith Jardine.

And I've been in disagreement that Shields is an undersized middleweight. He WAS undersized, but the dude bulked up for this fight. He looked bigger and stronger than Dan, and by quite a bit I might add. Hard weight cut or not, Dan is never trucked out with muscle. Shields is a bigger dude than Dan Henderson now, and he's now a good sized middleweight.

The problem is he has to be able finish off some of the elite guys in the UFC. I just don't see that happening with his lack of striking power.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll