Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Alright fellas (and Keastman),

Let's get a pool going.

Which UFC Champ will defend his title the least before losing it? What about the most? Starting..... right now.

So we have:

Lightweight Champ BJ Penn. Facing The Flo next. Probably followed by Diego Sanchez. After that, maybe the winner of Huerta-Maynard or Frankie Edgar if he puts a couple more quality wins together (I think he needs to avenge his beatdown by Maynard before he gets a shot). Biggest outsider possibilty: Gomi. He has always wanted to fight for the UFC.

Welterweight Champ GSP. He is getting the winner of Swick-Kampmann. After that, who knows. Fitch again? Do we really want to see that? Koschek? Condit, Trigg, and Anthony Johnson can all put winning streak together. I wouldn't mind seeing Lytle in there too. Biggest outsider threat: Jake Shields. I can see this happening within the year. This would be a stiff BJJ challenge for GSP. One of the few fights I could see GSP actually implementing a standing only gameplan.

Middleweight we have Anderson Silva. His next title defense is up in the air. Some feel Henderson has earned a rematch. Others say the winner of Marquardt-Maia should get a title shot. Dana said a while ago that Okami was worthy. Dana has also mentioned brining in Vitor Belfort. Silva only has 3-4 fights left on his contract so he can't fight them all. My guess is Henderson, Marquardt (will beat Okami while waiting for the Henderson fight), and then Belfort (will be groomed in the meantime for the fight). Biggest threat outside the UFC: Belfort as mentioned, Robbbie Lawler, and Jorge Santiago. Anderson would not have a problem with any of these guys.

Light Heavyweight Champ is the Ninja Lyoto Machida. Fighting Shogun next. After that he'll get Rampage if Rampage beats Rashad. If Rampage losses it is anybody's guess. Forrest might be able to cash in a favor for taking the Anderson fight. If Rich Franklin can beat a top guy he can have a shot at the Ninja. No real challengers outside the UFC.

Heavyweight Brock "love to hate" Lesnar. The next big thing's next big fights will most likely be Shane Carwin and Big Nog if they both win their next fights. If Nog gets back in form I think he will be Brock's toughest fight in the UFC. Gonzaga can get back in contention and has the size and skills to test Brock. Biggest outside threat: Fedor. We all know this. I'm more pessimestic than most that it will happen and happen soon. I say it as a year and a half away. Sooner outsider threat: Bret Rogers. The reaper will be coming to the UFC and has the hands and size to KO anyone. If he spends most his time on takedown defense he could be dangerous.

All these champs seem to be on another level than their challengers right now. It is very hard to see any of them losing. I'm going to have to keep thinking about it and post my picks later.

Anderson Silvia will lose to Dan Henderson is my prediction. Hendo will fight the whole fight like rd 1 of the first fight..

I would love Hendo to beat Silva, but I don't know...

I would love B.J. to lose to Florian, but I don't know...

Right now as a snap decision, I think B.J will have the shortest reign though, losing to Diego.

I think GSP will have the longest reign...

Edited by lovetoaster

I going with Brock defending the least. This is tough. Like I said, I think they are all on another level. Brock loses out due to experience. He'll make a mistake the soonest. Nog by submission.

I'll go with Machida defending his belt the most. The guy has still yet to lose a round.

Soonest-dethroned: Brock.

Most defenses from here on: Machida

About Nog: He looked like he hit the wall against Mir. He was stymied. That's not about a staph infection. That's about the noggin. I'd love to see him choke out Lesnar but I don't know if Nog's style of taking punishment and surviving onslaughts is working for him anymore and it's definitely not the way you want to approach Brock. I heart Minotauro and I hope he hasn't crossed over to legend land just yet, but.... :(

Soonest-dethroned: Brock.

Most defenses from here on: Machida

About Nog: He looked like he hit the wall against Mir. He was stymied. That's not about a staph infection. That's about the noggin. I'd love to see him choke out Lesnar but I don't know if Nog's style of taking punishment and surviving onslaughts is working for him anymore and it's definitely not the way you want to approach Brock. I heart Minotauro and I hope he hasn't crossed over to legend land just yet, but.... :(

Agree to disagree. I am maintaining it is about the staph until I see otherwise. We don't have long to wait, so why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

I think Fedor's next fight after Barnett will be coming in an octagon.

I think that's the direction they are going to try really hard for. I would love to see that!

ArmageDan

Dude, my fiance sent me that last night and I was laughing my butt off! That's one of my favorite gifs to come from that fight yet. When they show the meteor then a pic of Dan's cheesy smiling face I was dying :hysterical:

My other favorite gif is the one where they plant Henderson's face on Hasselhoff in a clip of Night Rider...so freakin hilarious.

Alright fellas (and Keastman),

Let's get a pool going.

That's a good question. The top guys in each class seem to be on such a different level than everyone else at their weight.

Shortests: I'm thinking it might be Silva if he fights Henderson again in the near future. Henderson is probably the only one coming up who I see having a decent chance against Silva.

If the UFC somehow snags Fedor, I would take him over Lesnar.

I would love to see Penn go down too...

Longest - I'm thinking GSP and Machida

So sorry, I can't really pick!! I'm so indecisive. Like you, I'll have to think about it a little bit more, but those are the thoughts that first come to my mind...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9194&zoneid=13

HENDO VS. FRANKLIN 2 HEADS UFC 103 IN DALLAS

Monday, July 20, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

UFC93_HendoFranklin_009.jpg

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Monday named the headline bout for the promotion's Sept. 19 date at the American Airlines Center. A rematch between former Pride champion Dan Henderson and former UFC champion Rich Franklin will take top honors at UFC 103 in Dallas.

The two first met at UFC 93 in a light heavyweight headline bout in Dublin, Ireland. They fought bell-to-bell with Henderson earning the nod via split decision.

Though it wasn't in the promotion's announcement, sources close to the bout confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that the rematch will also be contested in the light heavyweight (205-pound limit) division.

Each has fought just once since. Henderson is riding high after a second round knockout of fellow Ultimate Fighter season 9 coach Michael Bisping at UFC 100, while Franklin took a unanimous decision victory over Wanderlei Silva in a 195-pound catchweight bout at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany.

This is a rather interesting match-up. Henderson has been trying to position himself for a rematch against current UFC middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva. Meanwhile, Franklin has been gearing up for a run up the light heavyweight ladder which Silva's teammate, Lyoto Machida, currently stands atop of.

Also confirmed for UFC 103 is a heavyweight bout between Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic – who is now a signed, sealed, and delivered UFC fighter – and rising Brazilian star Junior Dos Santos.

--------------

How to say I am somewhat surprised by this. I'm betting if Henderson wins he get a shot at Anderson even though this fight is at 205. Hendo, Franklin, and Anderson all fight at both classes, so Hendo can seemingly earn a shot with this fight.

How to say I am somewhat surprised by this. I'm betting if Henderson wins he get a shot at Anderson even though this fight is at 205. Hendo, Franklin, and Anderson all fight at both classes, so Hendo can seemingly earn a shot with this fight.

I don't really like this match-up. I think Hendo's earned another shot at Anderson and I still think that Wanderlei won that fight against Franklin, (although I can see an argument for Franklin winning too). Either way I'd rather see Hendo stay at 185 and Franklin at 205.

Also, if Forrest Griffin pulls an upset against Anderson it will make all of this weight-class jumping look stupid on the UFC's part.

I'd almost rather see Hendo vs. Marquardt for the title shot. Let Franklin go to 205 against 205ers (not Hendo, he's a 185er now)

I don't really like this match-up. I think Hendo's earned another shot at Anderson and I still think that Wanderlei won that fight against Franklin, (although I can see an argument for Franklin winning too). Either way I'd rather see Hendo stay at 185 and Franklin at 205.

Also, if Forrest Griffin pulls an upset against Anderson it will make all of this weight-class jumping look stupid on the UFC's part.

I'd almost rather see Hendo vs. Marquardt for the title shot. Let Franklin go to 205 against 205ers (not Hendo, he's a 185er now)

Agreed.

Here's 55 bucks to watch THAT ****, Mr. White.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I don't think Frankiln or Henderson are very excited about it either, but it may be the best matchup for a card still looking for a main event.

It will be the same fight. I don't see either guy fighting it any differently than the first, which means it will be a sweet display of two vets at their best, but will go the distance. I bet Rich gets the split nod this time and Dana sets 'em up again. :silly:

Dream 10 was awesome, Zaromskis is one of the best strikers I've seen in a long time. His head kicks are nasty. I can't believe he plowed through Sakurai and then destroyed Jason High like that.

Melvin Manhoef showed that he needs to take a year off of K1 and MMA and train jiu jitsu for a year while maintaining his striking training a few times a week.

Aoki surprisingly stood up all fight with another grappler but he did outpoint him.

Not sure what the hell happened in that Jesse Taylor fight. That was a weird injury.

Dream 11 should be even better, if the rumors are true it will shape up like this:

Aoki/Hansen

Mousasi/Sokoudjou

Jacare/Mayhem

Minow/Hong Man Choi

Plus the Featherweight Grand Prix bouts. Pretty sweet card.

Also check out this link:

http://blog.ingamenow.com/2009/07/16/girls-of-the-2009-espys/

Scroll down and look at "Gina Carano and Bodyguard"

:rotflmao:

Maybe Dana is right about Barnett. I guess we should wait for the final verdict, but that wouldn't be any fun. :)

http://sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-barnett-bout-in-jeopardy-18663

If true, Barnett will never be allowed to fight in the states again (my opinion), and will have zippy chance to fight in the UFC (may already be true). Answering with “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.” doesn't exactly ring of confidence that he's innocent and/or that he'll be fighting in 11 days. How long has he been wanting this fight? Way to go buddy!

Edited by herrmag

Maybe Dana is right about Barnett. I guess we should wait for the final verdict, but that wouldn't be any fun. :)

http://sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-barnett-bout-in-jeopardy-18663

If true, Barnett will never be allowed to fight in the states again (my opinion), and will have zippy chance to fight in the UFC (may already be true). Answering with “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.” doesn't exactly ring of confidence that he's innocent and/or that he'll be fighting in 11 days. How long has he been wanting this fight? Way to go buddy!

Well, that's a kick in the junk. I, along with many others, had been waiting for this fight for a long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-kimo072109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Leopoldo not dead, contrary to reports

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship contender Kimo Leopoldo is still alive. Just ask him.

“I knew I wasn’t dead,” Leopoldo told Yahoo! Sports in a phone interview on Tuesday evening, hours after he was falsely reported deceased by numerous media outlets. “So when I was reading this I wondered if I was jinxed or something was going to happen.”

Leopoldo, 41, even appeared at the Orange County Sheriff’s office in Santa Ana, Calif., late Tuesday afternoon to put an end to rumors of his death that spread rapidly across the Internet.

“It was really strange,” Leopoldo said. “I was surprised at how nasty it was. I guess it wasn’t a good thing. … I’ve always had strange things written about me but nothing this bizarre. I couldn’t believe it when I searched for my name and I wrote in ‘Kimo Leopoldo’ and it added the word ‘death.’ ”

Rumors of Leopoldo’s demise first appeared on MMA.tv’s popular forum, “The Underground.” The post reported that Leopoldo died in Costa Rica “of complications from a heart attack.”

The report quickly was picked up by celebrity website TMZ.com, which “confirmed” the death. It later pulled the story without comment. The New York Daily News, Orange County Register, Las Vegas Sun and numerous MMA-specific websites also reported the story.

But an attorney who has represented Leopoldo told Yahoo! Sports the fighter “surfaced” early Tuesday afternoon, hours after reports of his death spread like a wildfire across the Internet. Attorney Victor E. Hobbs of El Toro, Calif., said in a brief telephone interview, “Kimo has surfaced and that’s all I know right now.” He referred all questions to Ron Kort of New Era Fighting, who is either Leopoldo’s manager or his promoter.

Leopoldo, of Irvine, Calif., was sentenced by a California judge on Monday to 10 days of community service and required to participate in a drug diversion program. He was arrested in February in Tustin, Calif., on suspicion of possession of methamphetamine.

Leopoldo’s most famous match was his MMA debut, when he met Royce Gracie at UFC 3 in Charlotte, N.C., on Sept. 9, 1994. Leopoldo was the first fighter to give Gracie, the winner of the first two UFC tournaments, a real run for his money, before he lost via armbar submission.

He largely made his name off the notoriety from the Gracie fight. Leopoldo last fought in 2006 and has a record of 10-7-1.

He said he hopes his new notoriety gets people to visit his website – fightengine.com – and lands him a shot at another fight.

Even after Hobbs and publicist Bob Trieger confirmed that Leopoldo was alive, Kort would not definitively say so. He referred questions to Jim Amormino, the spokesman for the Orange County sheriff’s coroner’s office.

Amormino was suspicious after numerous checks failed to turn anything up. He said at 3 p.m. PT that he had about 150 calls on the matter but that as far as he knew, Leopoldo was alive.

“If he was dead in Orange County, I would know by now,” Amormino said. “All deaths have to come to the corner’s office. I’ve checked hospitals and numerous law enforcement agencies and no one has responded.”

Trieger, who works for New Era Fighting, said Kort told him that Leopoldo is alive. Trieger said “apparently, Kimo woke up to reports of his death.”

Vitor has agreed to take the fight.

I'd rather see a heavyweight like Rogers get it. Tito's name was brought up. That would suck. I can already hear Tito's list of excuses.

I'm waiting to comment on Barnett. I am not a fan of the CA athletic commission.

Vitor has agreed to take the fight.

I'd rather see a heavyweight like Rogers get it. Tito's name was brought up. That would suck. I can already hear Tito's list of excuses.

I'm waiting to comment on Barnett. I am not a fan of the CA athletic commission.

I am awaiting comment too, but he had no issues when he faced Yvel and Rizzo in California. We are probably not going to see Josh fight in the U.S. again.

Edited by lovetoaster