Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://sherdog.com/news/news/confirmed-barnett-out-of-fedor-fight-18667

Confirmed: Barnett Out of Fedor Fight

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Loretta Hunt

Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed Wednesday to Sherdog.com that Josh Barnett has been pulled from an Aug. 1 matchup against Fedor Emelianenko.

The fight was scheduled to headline Affliction and M-1 Global’s “Trilogy” event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but Atencio said that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Barnett because he has tested positive for a banned substance. The CSAC will release a statement Wednesday.

Atencio also said he hopes to secure a replacement Wednesday but would not comment on the new matchup until a deal is signed.

Sherdog.com reported Tuesday that Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face Fedor, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. Bobby Lashley is also being considered, among others, but Tuesday night he denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett.

Joe Hall contributed to this report.

Well that sucks. If the challenger is Belfort, Fedor just has to be careful on the feet. If it's Lashley, we could get kind of a sneak peek at Fedor vs. Brock.

Man, I hope Fedor doesn't get Kimbo'd by taking someone at the last minute.....

:jk:

Edited by #98QBKiller

Antone call Seth Petrezelli yet?

Latest is that the t-shirt guy is negotiating with three fighters to replace Barnett, and that Barnett may still be cleared. He pissed in two cups that day. Now that one came back positive, they are going to test the second one. Remember Sherk's defense was that the machine tainted his test. Having a second sample should firm things up.

I believe Werdum and Rogers are the other two fighters looking for this fight (Vitor). I hope it's Rogers.

Antone call Seth Petrezelli yet?

Latest is that the t-shirt guy is negotiating with three fighters to replace Barnett, and that Barnett may still be cleared. He pissed in two cups that day. Now that one came back positive, they are going to test the second one. Remember Sherk's defense was that the machine tainted his test. Having a second sample should firm things up.

I believe Werdum and Rogers are the other two fighters looking for this fight (Vitor). I hope it's Rogers.

mmajunkie has an article up saying that Werdum/Rogers will not be fighting Fedor

CSAC is now saying that it was in fact an anabolic steroid that caused the positive test.

me thinks Dana White is secretly behind this :evilg::

danabribebp.gif

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15605/michael-bisping-vs-wanderlei-silva-in-the-works-for-main-event-of-ufc-105-in-november.mma

Wanderlei Silva's (32-10-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) first contest in the middleweight division will likely take place at UFC 105 in November.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that Silva is currently in negotiations to face Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) in the main event of the Spike TV-broadcast event. While bout agreements have not yet been distributed, company officials are hoping to officially announce the contest as soon as next week.

UFC 105 takes place at Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. The card airs in the U.S. on same-day tape delay.

The bout will be Silva's first in the middleweight division after spending the majority of his legendary career competing at over 200 pounds. "The Axe Murderer" made the first step toward the 185-pond limit in June, dropping a unanimous decision to Rich Franklin in a catchweight bout at 195 pounds.

While Silva remains a worldwide fan-favorite, the 33-year-old has earned just one victory in his past six contests.

Bisping will be looking to rebound from a devastating knockout loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100 earlier this month. The defeat, was just the second in Bisping's MMA, career, and it ended a three-fight win streak for "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner.

As first reported by MMAjunkie.com, Dan Hardy, James Wilks and Ross Pearson are also expected to compete on the UFC 105 card.

i know its Wand, but i have an issue with a fighter who is 1-5 in his last 6 fights headlining a PPV

i know its Wand, but i have an issue with a fighter who is 1-5 in his last 6 fights headlining a PPV

Well, it's not technically a PPV since it is on Spike, but I see your point. I am just hoping that I get to see possibly my two favorite fighters KO possibly my least favorite fighter within six months. :D

Oh yeah, and the wheels keep on turning for the Fedor vs. ????? fight.

Belfort verbally agreed to it...Fedor's camp want's Rogers...now apparently The Snowman is in the mix.

I don't know what to think. I am actually intrigued by Belfort fighting Fedor and being a fan of Monson, I would not mind seeing that either. Although I do not think Monson would stand much of a chance. Rogers has a hell of a lot of potential and is not scared of anybody, but I think this is a little too soon to put him up against the best fighter in the world.

Jeff Monson: "My name's in the mix" for Affliction fight with Fedor Emelianenko

Add another name to the list of potential "Affliction: Trilogy" opponents for Fedor Emelianenko (30-1), who lost original opponent Josh Barnett (24-5) on Wednesday because of a failed drug test.

Former top UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Monson (31-8) today joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) and said he's under consideration for the open slot on the Aug. 1 card.

"My name's in the mix to fight Fedor," Monson said.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15607/jeff-monson-my-names-in-the-mix-for-affliction-fight-with-emelianenko.mma

Edited by lovetoaster

Well, it's not technically a PPV since it is on Spike, but I see your point. I am just hoping that I get to see possibly my two favorite fighters KO possibly my least favorite fighter within six months. :D

mmaweekly has an article saying that its not going to happen. wand and his trainer dont want to fight until February

King Mo also said he wants to fight Fedor

its basically a win-win for whoever steps up at this point. you're not expected to win, and you get a monster payday. provided you live to fight another day, its a win-win

mmaweekly has an article saying that its not going to happen. wand and his trainer dont want to fight until February

Well fudge. If it is not Wand, I wonder who it could be? Akiyama? Seems like almost everyone else is committed to another fight.

But that would be a hard sell as a main event for a lot of people.

Is Patrick Cote healthy?

Edited by lovetoaster

Miguel Torres threw out the first pitch for the White Sox-Rays game today. And Buehrle tosses a perfect game. Coincidence? I think not. :D

Seriously, that had to be pretty damn cool. Buehrle is going to want Torres to throw out the first pitch for all of his starts from now on.

Oh yeah, and the wheels keep on turning for the Fedor vs. ????? fight.

Belfort verbally agreed to it...Fedor's camp want's Rogers...now apparently The Snowman is in the mix.

I don't know what to think. I am actually intrigued by Belfort fighting Fedor and being a fan of Monson, I would not mind seeing that either. Although I do not think Monson would stand much of a chance. Rogers has a hell of a lot of potential and is not scared of anybody, but I think this is a little too soon to put him up against the best fighter in the world.

I don't like the "too soon" argument here. If anything Rogers could learn a lot from a loss to Fedor. And if he wins....$$$$$$

I don't like the "too soon" argument here. If anything Rogers could learn a lot from a loss to Fedor. And if he wins....$$$$$$

I suppose. I guess I would rather have a veteran fighting on such short notice though as I think they would be better prepared. I can see Rogers' confidence growing with each fight, and I would hate to have that crushed by getting steamrolled by Fedor.

- BREAKING NEWS: AFFLICTION "TRILOGY" CANCELLED

Friday, July 24, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

headline.jpg

Multiple sources have informed MMAWeekly.com that Affliction’s third show, “Triology,” has been cancelled. Fighters and managers were being notified of the situation early Friday morning.

The event was scheduled for Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Details on the cancellation are few, but the loss of Josh Barnett, one half of the evening’s main event, undoubtedly contributed to the decision.

A source close to the situation also informed MMAWeekly.com that Affliction’s pay-per-view provider, Showtime, played a major factor in the cancellation.

Check back with MMAWeekly.com for more details as they arise.

Wow.

Josh Barnett killed Affliction.

Fedor's options just got a lot smaller.

Fight cans in DREAM or a couple decent guys in Strikeforce.

A lot of fighters just lost a lot of money. Really sucks for them to be training as long as they have and then get no purse.

Hopefully a couple of them can get on the Strikeforce card since there has been some shake ups there (Riggs is out for the welterweight title Diaz fight. Overeem out for the heavyweight title fight).

Edited by Sebowski

Wow.

A lot of fighters just lost a lot of money. Really sucks for them to be training as long as they have and then get no purse.

Hopefully a couple of them can get on the Strikeforce card since there has been some shake ups there (Riggs is out for the welterweight title Diaz fight. Overeem out for the heavyweight title fight).

What a mess of a day in MMA. I was going to get the Affliction card even without Barnett. I guess I have that night open now. And I was annoyed that I was not going to be able to see the Strikeforce card because I was going to be out of town. Not so much anymore, since the Diaz-Riggs fight was the one I really wanted to see.

What a mess of a day in MMA. I was going to get the Affliction card even without Barnett. I guess I have that night open now. And I was annoyed that I was not going to be able to see the Strikeforce card because I was going to be out of town. Not so much anymore, since the Diaz-Riggs fight was the one I really wanted to see.

Imagine the people who were flying in to Anahiem for the fight. The people who bought tickets from third parties for hundreds (thousands?) of dollars.

I am hoping Fedor steps in to the Strikeforce card and takes Overeem spot. He is already en route to the country (if he isn't already here). He is ready to fight. We just need Strikeforce to pony up Fedor cash. And if they don't now, would they ever? UFC wins big time here.

Wow.

**** YOU JOSH BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

how many fighters did he manage to screw over by taking steroids?

on a sidenote this increases the chances of Fedor coming to the UFC, so its not a total loss

Edited by StillUnknown

**** YOU JOSH BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

how many fighters did he manage to screw over by taking steroids?

I know it easy to blame Josh for this, but that would be like blaming Kimbo or Petruzelli for Elite XC's demise. The blame here is on the t-shirt guy.

Josh didn't cancel the show. It should still go on for the live crowd and the fighters. Management dropped the ball.

Edited by Sebowski

I know it easy to blame Josh for this, but that would be like blaming Kimbo or Petruzelli for Elite XC's demise. The blame here is on the t-shirt guy.

Josh didn't cancel the show. It should still go on for the live crowd and the fighters. Management dropped the ball.

management dropped the ball definitely, but they had everything to put on the show as planned

barnett presented them with an unforeseen variable, him failing his drug test. Barnett takes the blame for this one event

management is to blame for the success of their organization solely dependent on one event

management dropped the ball definitely, but they had everything to put on the show as planned

barnett presented them with an unforeseen variable, him failing his drug test. Barnett takes the blame for this one event

management is to blame for the success of their organization solely dependent on one event

They still shouldn't have canceled the show. Dana has said over, and over, you better be prepared to lose millions to get in the business. T-shirt should have bit the bullet. Show must go on.