Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It won't be in the UFC. He signed a deal with EA for that video game.

I've got Kongo by KO. Mir will try and stand for a second too long.

Good point. I had forgotten about that game.

I think Mir subs Kongo, but I can definitely see your scenario as well.

I am just happy that it looks like a good fight on paper at an event I am going to try and go to. :D

One fight saved from the Affliction card...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15648/renato-babalu-sobral-to-defend-strikeforce-title-against-gegard-mousasi-on-aug-15.mma

Renato "Babalu" Sobral to defend Strikeforce title against Gegard Mousasi on Aug. 15

by John Morgan on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:35 pm ET

The first two pieces of the scrambled puzzle left by Affliction's recent demise have fallen into place as Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Renato "Babalu" Sobral (35-8) will defend his title against Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1) on Aug. 15.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the rescheduled bout with Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz.

EDIT: And as one championship fight is added, another may be getting postponed.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15649/josh-thomsons-injury-not-fully-healed-bout-with-gilbert-melendez-may-be-in-jeopardy.mma

Josh Thomson's injury not fully healed, bout with Gilbert Melendez may be in jeopardy

by John Morgan on Jul 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm ET

Strikeforce lightweight Josh Thomson's (16-2) broken leg has not completely healed, and his Aug. 15 bout in San Jose, Calif., with interim title holder Gilbert Melendez (15-2) may now be in jeopardy.

Thomson today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he wasn't able to fully train for the unification bout, and additional sources close to the contest have indicated the organization is actively seeking a replacement for "The Punk."

Should Thomson be forced from the card, it would be the latest hit to "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg," which has already seen the loss of Joe Riggs and Alistair Overeem due to various ailments (but did receive a nice injection of talent with the addition of "Babalu" Sobral vs. Gegard Mousasi).

Thomson broke his leg during a training session in April, delaying his rematch with Melendez until August.

Edited by lovetoaster

Good news about the Babalu/Mousasi fight, should be a good match, I think Mousasi will win the title.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9239&zoneid=13

Affliction refugee Jay Hieron has found a new home.

Three days after the clothing company ceased its prizefighting operations, the former International Fight League welterweight champion has signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce.

In his first fight, Hieron is expected to step in for Joe Riggs to face Nick Diaz at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” in San Jose, Calif., on Aug. 15. The fight will likely be for the first ever Strikeforce welterweight title.

Carano vs. Cyborg, which boasted no less than four title fights, recently saw its championship schedule halved by injuries and withdrawals. Heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, who was scheduled to defend his title in June, was forced to withdraw from a return against Fabricio Werdum due to a re-aggravated hand injury. Riggs withdrew last week after reportedly suffering an adverse reaction to prescription medication.

Hieron (17-4) was on the front lines for the collapse of the IFL in summer 2008 and fielded offers from the UFC and Strikeforce before accepting an offer with Affliction. In January, he fought Jason High in the swing bout for Affliction’s second event, “Day of Reckoning,” earning a brutal knockout in 64 seconds. A native of Long Island, New York, he is a mainstay of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas.

The main event between Gina Carano and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos for the women’s 145-pound divisional championship, and a lightweight title rematch between reigning champ Josh Thomson and former champ Gilbert Melendez remain the only five-round fights untouched, though rumors have circulated about a possible injury to Thomson.

good to see Diaz will still be on the card, against an opponent as credible as Riggs. although this new matchup lacks the drama of the backstory that Diaz/Riggs would bring

I can't believe I am about to source sherdog message board :doh:

From sherdog thread:

In regards to strict terms of UFC contract, we asked Aleksander Emelianenko to comment:

"You can deal with UFC, I know that they have flexible contract system. All these talks about "strict" contract terms with signing with UFC, come ONLY from Vadim Finkelstein, who wants to push his owns business projects through Fedor's fights"

Aleksander Emelianenko in his interview for Sports.ru

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9239&zoneid=13

good to see Diaz will still be on the card, against an opponent as credible as Riggs. although this new matchup lacks the drama of the backstory that Diaz/Riggs would bring

I was really looking forward to the third fight in this trilogy. Riggs took the second by controversial decision, Diaz won the second by KO via bedpan to the head. This was shaping up to be a great fight. Hope they still fight soon.

Found this on mania:

From the LA Times website:

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world’s best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today. The source, who asked not to be identified because he’s not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor “very civil” just days after Fedor’s scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

----

having "very civil" negotiations and finalizing a deal are two very different things in my book.

Think he would get Brock right away? Dana has said he would fight for the belt right away. If I were Brock I would want a rematch clause that he could invoke after he gets some more fights.

Don't underestimate that cage, Fedor.

Found this on mania:

From the LA Times website:

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world’s best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today. The source, who asked not to be identified because he’s not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor “very civil” just days after Fedor’s scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

----

having "very civil" negotiations and finalizing a deal are two very different things in my book.

Think he would get Brock right away? Dana has said he would fight for the belt right away. If I were Brock I would want a rematch clause that he could invoke after he gets some more fights.

Don't underestimate that cage, Fedor.

he's definitely getting first crack at Brock

Fedor might even be more deadly in the cage, he'll be able to add elbows to his already devastating ground n pound

i hope that rumor is true

if so, Barnett taking roids is completely worth it. lol

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/111937-white-fedor-will-fight-for-title-first?eref=fromSI

Dana's latest comments on the Fedor saga:

UFC Prez Dana White talks Fedor: "My job is to put on the best fighters and to give you, the fans, the fights you want to see. I've been trying to get Fedor in the UFC. I want it because you want it. Believe me, I'm trying to make it happen. He'll fight for the title first. What does he need, a tune-up fight or something? -- To argue where this guy sits in the heavyweight division, we can argue that all day. Fedor has a ton of experience. The guy's been around forever. But you can't take anything away from Brock Lesnar -- It's an interesting fight. It's a very good fight. Fedor's got to come to a deal first. If Randy can go out there and cut that deal with Fedor, then Randy, get to work, buddy."

And the wheels keep on turning....

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15663/report-of-fedor-emelianenko-finalizing-a-deal-with-the-ufc-not-true-says-source.mma

Report of Fedor Emelianenko finalizing a deal with the UFC "not true," says source

by Dann Stupp on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:20 am ET

A recent report that top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianeko and the Ultimate Championship are "finalizing a deal" and that the fighter will be introduced on Friday as the organization's newest signee is "untrue," a source close to M-1 today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Emelianenko had been slated to fight on Aug. 1 against Josh Barnett, whose failed drug test (due to alleged anabolic-steroid use) triggered a series of events leading to the cancellation of "Affliction: Trilogy" and eventually the demise of Affliction's entire promotional arm.

The cancellation was followed by a report from the L.A. Times stating that Emelianenko will sign with the UFC, but a source speaking on the condition of anonymity said no such deal is likely.

(Additionally, SI.com's Josh Gross spoke to M-1 Global executive Apy Echteld, who also said the report is "not accurate.")

Emelianenko and M-1 officials have a media call and press conference in Los Angeles planned for today. The Russian fighter and former PRIDE champion is expected to update the press on what the future may hold for him. (MMAjunkie.com will have a full recap from the meeting posted at approximately 4:30 p.m. ET today.)

The UFC may be an option, though multiple sources have told MMAjunkie.com that Emelianenko is unlikely to have his next fight under the UFC umbrella.

Fedor's big press conference today was all about the EA game. I looked everywhere for coverage of it and I'll I found was a twitter page a reporter is updating. ETA: here is the whole writeup.

http://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith

First time I have ever been on twitter. Looks like he is updat8ing all questions/answeres. Doesn't sound great for Fedor in the

# M-1 promises "Fedor will be fighting very soon." I wasn't optimistic about seeing him in the UFC an hour ago. I'm even less optimistic now.22 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor Emelianenko: I have complete trust in Vadim Finkelchtein and in our team at M-1 Global. #MMA #UFC24 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor Emelianenko concludes by saying MMA is growing everywhere, not just in the US, and he's proud to be part of that.25 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor asked about brother Aleksander criticizing manager Vadim. Answer hard to understand but sounds like says he sees things Aleks doesn't.28 minutes ago from web

#

The real news from this call: Fedor is far from being close to finalizing a deal with UFC. M-1 and UFC are far apart. http://bit.ly/sffSQ32 minutes ago from web

UFC:

# M-1 Global says it plans to increase the number of MMA shows it promotes. Do they think they can compete with the UFC?3 minutes ago from web

#

Asked about Affliction, M-1 officials say "That's a great question for the right time. This isn't the right time to talk about Affliction."5 minutes ago from web

#

Jerry Millen: Fedor is the best fighter in MMA, deserves to be treated as such. Suggests UFC wouldn't treat him as such. http://bit.ly/sffSQ6 minutes ago from web

#

M-1 stresses it has promoted MMA all over the world. Fedor, as the face of M-1, should fight in UFC under the M-1 banner http://bit.ly/sffSQ8 minutes ago from web

#

M-1 stresses that to do a deal with UFC, they want co-promotion. They think it's important for MMA to have competition, not UFC dominance.9 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor Emelianenko is asked if he has talked to Strikeforce. M-1 says they've had negotiations with lots of companies and Strikeforce is one.12 minutes ago from web

#

M-1 says they offered to have a co-promotion for Fedor to fight in the UFC. We already knew that.15 minutes ago from web

#

I just asked Fedor Emelianenko if he will meet Dana White while he's in the U.S. He was noncommittal in his answer.18 minutes ago from web

#

M-1 says re Affliction: "we will do everything to protect our rights in the courts of the United States."20 minutes ago from web

#

They have confirmed Fedor is negotiating with the UFC, but they clearly want to make this call about the EA MMA game, not the UFC22 minutes ago from web

#

M-1 says "we're weighing all our options" in how to deal with Affliction canceling Fedor's MMA fight.23 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor says it's an honor to be part of a video game. No mention of the fact that the UFC has a competing game and a bad relationship with EA24 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor Emelianenko will headline the EA Sports MMA game. Gegard Mousasi and Babalu Sobral will also be part of the game.26 minutes ago from web

#

Millen: Fedor Emelianenko was ready to fight this weekend, but unfortunately we're here addressing questions and rumors. http://bit.ly/sffSQ28 minutes ago from web

#

Fedor call has begun, with Jerry Millen speaking first http://bit.ly/sffSQ32 minutes ago from web

Edited by Sebowski

mmajunkie.com:

Report: Paul Daley signs mutli-fight UFC deal

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm ET

British fighter Paul Daley (21-8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has reportedly signed a four-fight deal with the UFC and will join the organization's roster of welterweight fighters.

Daley had been slated to fight Jay Hieron at the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event before the event's cancellation last week.

Following the subsequent demise of Affliction's MMA-promotional arm altogether, he inked a deal with the UFC, according to Fighters Only online.

Daley, a six-year veteran who's fought for organizations ranging from Cage Rage to EliteXC to Strikeforce, has won three of his past four fights and nine of his past 11. Of his 21 professional victories, 16 have come via knockout.

Daley most recently competed at an April World Free Fight Challenge event in Slovenia, where he defeated Junior Barata via TKO.

No octagon debut date has been set for the fighter.

-------------

This guy is a great striker. I hope they put him in with the other strikers in the division for his first couple fights. Hardy, Davis, Lytle... Could one day be a great fight with Alves if Daley strings some wins together.

Daley has been training to fight next week so hopefully they get him in quick.

Speaking of Lytle, I can;t wait for his fight night fight with Condit. That one will be a fight of the year candidate.

Agreed, SU.

From Barnett's camp:

On behalf of Josh Barnett and in conjunction with all of his representatives, the following is an official statement regarding the allegations made by the CSAC:

July 29, 2009

JOSH BARNETT STATEMENT REGARDING ALLEGED POSITIVE DRUG TEST

The media has reported that Mixed Martial Arts Heavyweight fighter Josh Barnett would not be eligible to fight Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction Trilogy as he was denied his California license due to an alleged positive test for 2α-methyl-5α-androstan-3α-ol-17-one, which is purportedly a metabolite of a banned substance. Mr. Barnett was shocked at these allegations and was extremely disappointed to learn that Affliction had made the hasty decision to cancel the August 1st event in its entirety. Mr. Barnett vehemently denies intentionally ingesting any banned substances in preparation for the August 1st fight and he is looking forward to presenting his case to the California State Athletic Commission.

In the meantime, Mr. Barnett has yet to learn of the results of the B sample testing and he has not received any of the documentation that provides further details of the alleged positive sample despite numerous requests. In fact, the documentation that Mr. Barnett has received raises serious questions about the integrity of the sample and the validity of the results themselves.

At this time Mr. Barnett would like to thank his fans and colleagues for their ongoing support and faith in him. He intends to vigorously defend himself against these allegations and hopes for a swift resolution to this matter so he can get back to what he does best -- fighting!

I would like to further add that Josh is as disappointed as all of his fans and supporters that he will not be fighting on August 1st. He also empathizes with all of the other fighters that were scheduled to appear on the card and shares their frustration and shock at the cancellation of the entire event.

Best regards,

Shannon Hooper

President

Excel Sports Management, LLC