Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

yeah he posted this today

bj is in shape for this fight he's at 163lbs now

He does look in shape. Anderson sounded like English was his native language in that video lol.

Did anyone watch the E60 with Brock? Covered a little of his wrestling/football days and his WWE days. At one point the reporter started to ask Brock about steroids and Brock got up and walked out of the interview.

He does look in shape. Anderson sounded like English was his native language in that video lol.

Did anyone watch the E60 with Brock? Covered a little of his wrestling/football days and his WWE days. At one point the reporter started to ask Brock about steroids and Brock got up and walked out of the interview.

i think Anderson speaks more english than he lets on, he just might not be fully comfortable doing so in front of thousands of people

i think Anderson speaks more english than he lets on, he just might not be fully comfortable doing so in front of thousands of people

I agree, after fighting for however many rounds, it can't be easy to get on the microphone and speak a second language. Even guys that are pretty good at English like Wanderlei, sound different after a fight.

1. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9288&zoneid=2

Halfway around the globe, Dream is expected to announce an “alliance” with Strikeforce, the result of a longstanding relationship between Scott Coker and the Japanese promotion.

The Strikeforce CEO has maintained a good relationship with promoter Kazuyoshi Ishii from Dream parent company Fight Entertainment Group, whom he worked with for eight years as the U.S. promoter of K-1 kickboxing. The alliance formalizes that relationship.

In a Tuesday interview with MMAWeekly.com, Coker likened the deal to post-season baseball where teams of different leagues face off, pairing better players against one another.

“At the beginning of this MMA relationship, we had talked about having Dream fighters come over, and our fighters go over there, and having this relationship,” Coker told MMAWeekly.com. “Well, we all got busy and we never really had the opportunity when they wanted Jake (Shields) to fight over there and when we wanted (Shinya) Aoki, he was scheduled to fight. Now we’re going to be able to put those dream fights together."

The talent exchange between the promotions will be exclusive.

“If we want to get Japanese fighters, we would work exclusively with Dream, and Dream would work exclusively with us, and M-1 as well," said Coker. "M-1 will be part of this too.”

He said Mitsuhiro Ishida, who first fought for Strikeforce last September and will rematch Gilbert Melendez after lightweight champion Josh Thomson withdrew due to injury, was the first commitment to the new deal.

Future fights he looked forward to seeing included Fedor Emelianenko vs. Sergei Kharitonov, Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef, and the American debut of Shinya Aoki (asked how Aoki would do without his trademark pants, Coker said, “that’s a good question. People are going to have to tune in to Showtime to find out”).

The new alliance does not, however, entail any fiscal commitment from either side, nor is it related to the closing on Sunday of a deal between Emelianenko, M-1 Global, and Strikeforce, Coker said. Despite a well-placed source outside Strikeforce who on Monday said the Japanese promotion had helped bridge the financial gap between Emelianenko’s asking price and Strikeforce’s offer, Coker said the two are unrelated.

“This is a deal that I’ve wanted to make happen where we could start utilizing the fighters and having a good relationship with Dream,” he said. “So I’ve been working on this for a while, and it just happened to come down at the same time as the announcement.

“Now that the Fedor announcement is out there, we said, ‘let’s go make this Dream thing happen.'”

Prized acquisition Emelianenko has stated his desire to fight on New Year’s Eve in Japan once again, and while Coker said, “the door is open,” he hadn’t discussed the possibility with Dream reps. For now, the top-ranked heavyweight’s Strikeforce debut is confirmed for a Showtime broadcast in the fall, presumably in October, where Coker said his opponent remains TBA.

As for the multitude of other fights possible with the alliance, Coker said it was a good time to be an MMA fan.

“I think it’s important, because as a fan, I think they’re going to get some amazing fights that would not happen if the alliance wasn’t created,” he said.

this partnership will be good for both organizations.

2. http://mmajunkie.com/news/15731/ronaldo-jacare-souza-signs-multi-fight-deal-with-strikeforce-debut-expected-in-fall.mma

Brazilian submission ace Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (10-2) is the latest acquisition to the rapidly expanding Strikeforce roster.

GracieMag.com was the first to report the signing, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed the new deal with organization officials.

Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz told MMAjunkie.com that while he could not divulge the full details of Souza's deal, the contract was of the multi-fight variety, and he did expect a fall debut from the 29-year-old.

Souza's past five appearances have been for the Japanese-based DREAM organization, a group with which Strikeforce is reportedly working on finalizing an "alliance," according to recent comments by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker on "The Carmichael Dave Show."

Souza is currently expected to face Jason "Mayhem" Miller at October's DREAM.11 for the organization's vacant middleweight title. Afromowitz was unable to confirm whether or not that bout was in jeopardy.

GracieMag.com's report cites a potential Oct. 25 Strikeforce debut for Souza, a date the outlet states will also feature the organizational debut of recent signing Fedor Emelianenko. The report also states Fresno, Calif., is a likely location for the as-yet-unannounced event.

Afromowitz was unable to offer any information on the likelihood of the potential event.

Souza, who fought four times for DREAM in 2008, made his lone U.S. appearance in May of 2007. "Jacare" submitted Bill Vucick at the Gracie Fighting Championships in Ohio, a card that also featured Fredson Paixao, Demian Maia, Matt Brown, Vinny Magalhaes, Nissen Osterneck, Phil Cardella, Rafael Dias, Thomas Denny and Chris Brennan, among others.

A multiple-time world Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion, Souza has earned nine of his 10 career MMA wins by submission.

strikeforce is not just resting after signing Fedor, they're looking to keep expanding their talent and Jacare is a great step.

Edited by StillUnknown

Jon ''Bones" Jones is now training with GSP's people

PC: Firas, it has been a pleasure man. I hope to speak to you on a regular basis. Is there anything you want to say in closing?

We have Jon “Bones” Jones training here at Zahabi MMA and Tri Star Gym, which is my MMA club. So now we have Georges, if he has to get ready for Anderson Silva, he’s got a great partner in Jon Bones. He’s got the tall, lanky body type, he has incredible Muay Thai; a tricky style of Muay Thai as well and he has the reach like Anderson Silva. I think he would be a very good training partner for Georges if that fight ever happens.

PC: You having a 21-year-old Jon Jones in your camp is going to be insane. I can only imagine how good this kid is going to get out there.

FZ: (Laughing) I'm going to do my best to mold him. We're going to be working with Greg Jackson of course and the entire team that works with Georges St. Pierre will be working with Jon Jones. I expect alot from this kid man. This kid is the real thing. I trained with him this morning and I've trained with a lot of other fighters; this kid is the real thing. I see alot of St. Pierre in him!

Jon Jones is going to be a scary individual in a couple of years. he already has great natural ability for the sport, now he's training with some of the best in the world. we could be watching the makings of a future great

Very nice signing of Jacare.

But a card on Oct. 25? Isn't that a Sunday? I guess it is entirely possible, since WEC does it all the time, but it just seems odd for Strikeforce to be doing it. Especially since it is the night after UFC 104, and they would be going against the NFL.

Jon Jones is going to be a scary individual in a couple of years. he already has great natural ability for the sport, now he's training with some of the best in the world. we could be watching the makings of a future great

I agree. I know I am not saying anything that a lot of people have not said recently, but I really like watching him fight. If he stays on his current path, he is going to be a star very soon.

Edited by lovetoaster

1. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9288&zoneid=2

this partnership will be good for both organizations.

2. http://mmajunkie.com/news/15731/ronaldo-jacare-souza-signs-multi-fight-deal-with-strikeforce-debut-expected-in-fall.mma

strikeforce is not just resting after signing Fedor, they're looking to keep expanding their talent and Jacare is a great step.

Damn! Both of these posts are great news for us as fans. The more great fighters that can work together, whether it be by co-promotion or by having one company stockpile great fighters, is going to mean more great fights and fight cards for us. I love it.

yeah he posted this today

bj is in shape for this fight he's at 163lbs now

I watched the countdown show last night on Spike. BJ basically said he has come to terms with the fact that he got manhandled by GSP and he readily admits now that it was once again his conditioning that killed him. He said he didn't even rememebr the 3rd and 4th rounds, which is simply amazing that he was even able to keep from getting KOed or subbed while virtually unconscious. It's so disappointing for me as a big BJ fan to hear this though, because he's been saying since his loss to Matt Hughes that he's a changed man when it comes to conditioning. They showed him training his butt off with Todd Marinovich's dad in an effort to prove he's really working hard this time but I don't know if I should even believe him at this point. I'm rooting for him (again, sigh) versus KenFlo but I don't feel the same about BJ Penn anymore. The bloodlicking, the bad conditioning, the poor sportsmanship, etc. How could a man so gifted keep on assuming he's in shape when he's been taught the lesson so many times? Ugh. :doh:

P.S.- His own brother even said that BJ is the best 1st round fighter on Earth but after that, it's a crap shoot.

Edited by Chachie

Strikeforce is making a move to position themselves a true player in the MMA world. Thank god it is run by a promoter who has been in the promoting game since 1987.

Unlike Elite XC which was run by Gary Shaw who was obviously in it to make a quick buck.

Edited by NoCalMike

I watched the countdown show last night on Spike. BJ basically said he has come to terms with the fact that he got manhandled by GSP and he readily admits now that it was once again his conditioning that killed him. He said he didn't even rememebr the 3rd and 4th rounds, which is simply amazing that he was even able to keep from getting KOed or subbed while virtually unconscious. It's so disappointing for me as a big BJ fan to hear this though, because he's been saying since his loss to Matt Hughes that he's a changed man when it comes to conditioning. They showed him training his butt off with Todd Marinovich's dad in an effort to prove he's really working hard this time but I don't know if I should even believe him at this point. I'm rooting for him (again, sigh) versus KenFlo but I don't feel the same about BJ Penn anymore. The bloodlicking, the bad conditioning, the poor sportsmanship, etc. How could a man so gifted keep on assuming he's in shape when he's been taught the lesson so many times? Ugh. :doh:

P.S.- His own brother even said that BJ is the best 1st round fighter on Earth but after that, it's a crap shoot.

You don't have to believe it. BJ would beat Florian drunk.

To me it sounded like BJ was saying he didn't remember the last rounds because he "checked out", not because he was semi-unconscious.

RE: PS - I think JD was saying that tongue in cheek.

BJ by RNC

You don't have to believe it. BJ would beat Florian drunk.

To me it sounded like BJ was saying he didn't remember the last rounds because he "checked out", not because he was semi-unconscious.

RE: PS - I think JD was saying that tongue in cheek.

BJ by RNC

Yeah I like Florian, I think he's a cool dude and all, I attended his Q&A after the WEC weigh-ins at Faber/Brown II.....

With that said, something tells me that too many people are having too short a memory when it comes to Penn. Getting manhandled at 170, by a Top 3 pfp fighter, doesn't mean that Penn still isn't the best fighter at his true fighting weight which is 155.

It seems with all the growing fanbase that people get this attitude that the minute a fighter loses one fight, they will never win again.

BJ is a beast at 155.

BJ by RNC Rnd 3.

Yeah I like Florian, I think he's a cool dude and all, I attended his Q&A after the WEC weigh-ins at Faber/Brown II.....

With that said, something tells me that too many people are having too short a memory when it comes to Penn. Getting manhandled at 170, by a Top 3 pfp fighter, doesn't mean that Penn still isn't the best fighter at his true fighting weight which is 155.

It seems with all the growing fanbase that people get this attitude that the minute a fighter loses one fight, they will never win again.

BJ is a beast at 155.

BJ by RNC Rnd 3.

Well said Mike. I am probably as big of a Florian fan as there is, and I don't think he stands much of a chance here. I do not like Penn at all, but the bottom line is that B.J. is the best in the world at 155. He has not lost at 155 in seven and a half years, and that was to Jens Pulver, who was pretty damn good at the time. His only losses since 2001 are to GSP twice, Machida and Matt Hughes. All at 170 and above and all to premier fighters.

Long story short, I would be ecstatic if Florian won, but I don't see it happening. I don't totally discount Kenny because he has gotten progressively better with each fight, but I do not think the time is now for him to get the belt.

Oh I definitely am picking BJ to beat Florian. I wasn't saying I thought he was going to lose. I was only expressing my disappointment that he was full of baloney with all the conditioning talk before the St. Pierre debacle.

And with that, I may as well give my picks for...

UFC 101: Declaration

Josh Neer v. Kurt Pellegrino: I gotta go with Neer because he's been on a run of good performances lately. Kurt has fallen off my radar a bit.

Neer by UD.

Kendall Grove v. Ricardo Almeida: I'm not a Grove fan. I don't know why but I just like seeing him lose. (Hater? I guess.) Anyway, I can see him landing some good strikes before he gets choked out on saturday night.

Almeida by RNC, round 2.

Anderson "The Spider" Silva v. Forrest "The Fly" Griffin: Oh how I'm hoping Forrest shocks the world. I just love the guy.

Silva by TKO, rd 2.

BJ "The Prodigy" Penn v. Ken "Flo" Florian: Nobody deserves a title more than KenFlo and he's beaten me in two sig bets, but I just can't see his success continuing thru saturday night.

My man Beej will K Flo TFO.

I really didn't go out on any limbs this time. No upset picks. I just think the matchups speak for themselves. The only underdog I'm rooting for is Forrest. :)

101 presser here:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15743/mmajunkie-com-live-video-ufc-101-press-conference-at-1-p-m-et.mma

suppose to start any second

I don't thin Chachie will be happy about this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AndARR9dZ3ucby_BBUZk3vA9Eo14?slug=ki-penn080509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"Penn said he believes St. Pierre uses steroids, though he concedes he has no proof. St. Pierre is arguably the sport’s most popular fighter and Penn knows that making such allegations isn’t going to win him any friends.

Penn, though, isn’t the type to be shy about offering his opinion though it may be unpopular.

“It’s just my opinion that he uses steroids,” Penn said. “That’s it. My opinion. I do believe it. I can’t hand you any proof, but that’s my opinion.”

In an earlier conversation on the topic, Penn said, “In my opinion, he doesn’t play by the rules when it comes to steroids and growth hormones and that stuff. Look at him. He’s the worst. He looks like that every day. That’s cheating. There is a reason why there are rules against using steroids. The rest of us, we get fat, then we train and get skinny and the cycle goes over and over again. He looks the same way all the time. Come on.”

-----

:doh:

"Penn said he believes St. Pierre uses steroids, though he concedes he has no proof. St. Pierre is arguably the sport’s most popular fighter and Penn knows that making such allegations isn’t going to win him any friends.

Penn, though, isn’t the type to be shy about offering his opinion though it may be unpopular.

“It’s just my opinion that he uses steroids,” Penn said. “That’s it. My opinion. I do believe it. I can’t hand you any proof, but that’s my opinion.”

In an earlier conversation on the topic, Penn said, “In my opinion, he doesn’t play by the rules when it comes to steroids and growth hormones and that stuff. Look at him. He’s the worst. He looks like that every day. That’s cheating. There is a reason why there are rules against using steroids. The rest of us, we get fat, then we train and get skinny and the cycle goes over and over again. He looks the same way all the time. Come on.”

Well, this is certainly disappointing. Let it go B.J.

Nothing of much interest in the presser except Dana saying that Anderson said if he wins he would like to keep fighting the best 205'ers.

Not much with BJ on Rome either. BJ sounds pretty confident and focused. I will be extremely shocked if he loses.

Nothing of much interest in the presser except Dana saying that Anderson said if he wins he would like to keep fighting the best 205'ers.

i wonder how that will work if he does beat Forrest. i would imagine Dana wouldn't want him knocking off title contenders when he wont fight Machida himself

BJ has to be the biggest sore loser in the sport. Luckily for him Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez are in other organizations because then he'd have a real threat at losing the 155 crown in the UFC. I just don't see Florian or anyone else really threatening to take it these days.