Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Despite that Matrix punch, which was awesome, I think Aldo lost the 5th round. I got it 48-47 Aldo. Good fight that showed a great contrast in styles. A better athlete with a ton of striking skill against a giant heart with some of the best movement in MMA.

What now for Frankie?

I'm glad he lost, I was hoping Aldo would finish him because I don't think any of those sycophants in Edgar's camp has ever told Frankie they thought he lost a round. The general opinion in that camp is if Frankie is standing at the end of a fight, he either won or got robbed.

I like Dana proclaiming Wiedman as the man most likely to face Anderson for the MW belt at the post fight press conference. I want to see Anderson destroy him after all the crazy junk he has been talking. Weidman is a decent fighter, probably could win & defend the belt a few times if Silva wasn't around, but he is not seasoned enough to deserve a title shot. He turns down fights then criticizes Anderson for "turning down" a fight with himself to fight Bonnar. I would like to see Weidman face Lombard or Vitor before getting a title fight. Heck, if I was him, I'd ask for a title eliminator fight vs Bisping, pretty much as close to a guarantee as you can get to landing a title fight, and it ups his exposure, like a win-win-win situation for Weidman, lol.

Pettis sent Dana a text saying he would drop to 145 to fight Aldo

Make the fight Dana.

Gotta wait until August, but It's on:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/anthony-pettis-drops-to-145-meets-ufc-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo-on-aug-3

USA TODAY: ANTHONY PETTIS DROPS TO 145, MEETS UFC CHAMP JOSE ALDO ON AUG. 3

This story appeared in today's edition of USA TODAY.)

Two of the most dynamic strikers in all of mixed martial arts will meet Aug. 3 as Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is dropping from lightweight to 145 pounds to challenge current champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for the UFC featherweight title.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Monday learned of the booking from UFC President Dana White.

"Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds," White said. "These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight."

White said the company currently is seeking a venue for the as-yet-unannounced event and that sites in Texas, Chicago, Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are all under consideration. Aldo vs. Pettis is expected to headline the card.

Aldo on Saturday defended his title with a unanimous decision win over former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. Afterward, Pettis texted White and requested the matchup.

"Aldo is a tremendous fighter," Pettis said. "I have all the respect in the world for his skills. I just want to be one of the best in the world, and the only way to do that is to beat the best."

The 26-year-old Pettis is best known for this December 2010 win over current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the final event for the now-shuttered World Extreme Cagefighting promotion. In that bout, "Showtime" clinched a decision win by leaping off the cage wall and knocking down his opponent with a flying kick to the face. After dropping a decision to Clay Guida in his UFC debut, Pettis has since put together a three-fight win streak that includes back-to-back "Knockout of the Night" wins over top contenders Joe Lauzon and, just 10 days ago, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.

Meanwhile, Brazilian striker Aldo boasts a 15-fight win streak and has not tasted defeat since 2005. He's earned 11 career first-round stoppages and possesses some of the sharpest and most devastating muay Thai skills in the sport. Still, tae kwon do black belt Pettis believes he's capable of upsetting the 26-year-old champ.

"I wouldn't call him out if I didn't really feel confident I could beat him," Pettis said.

Pettis was expected to challenge for the UFC lightweight title later this year against the winner of an April championship bout between current champ Henderson and Strikeforce import Gilbert Melendez. However, the Milwaukee native said he wasn't comfortable waiting around and instead will now face one of the sport's top pound-for-pound fighters.

"It's a superfight, and I want to be a part of these fights," Pettis said.

For more on the Aldo-Pettis superfight at the UFC's August event, as well as the rest of the UFC's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

I love that matchup, but I'm not sure I like this trend of people getting immediate title shots in weight classes they've never competed.

There are guys at 145 who have more than earned a shot, and they're getting passed over.

I wonder if Pettis loses, does he lose his shot at the Benson/Melendez winner.

Edited by StillUnknown

How can Frankie Edgar be ranked # 9 at P4P, especially when that's ranked ahead of 3 guys he's ranked behind in his own division ? (Chad Mendes, Ricardo Lamas, Chan Sung Jung)

Not sure. Those rankings were out before the Aldo loss, but they were probably assuming that him being a recent 155 champ and dropping down to 145, that he was probably going to be better than those three guys at 145 (which I would say he is), but maybe they were being cautious about his 145 ranking as he hadn't fought there yet?

Anyway, did anyone see the nasty spinning head-kick KO that Uriah Hall threw on TUF?

Found these on Youtube:

Seeing a kick like that makes me want to rush out and sign up at a Karate/TKD gym. Although, I'm not even sure if he has a background in those. I think he's mainly a MT guy.

Not sure. Those rankings were out before the Aldo loss, but they were probably assuming that him being a recent 155 champ and dropping down to 145, that he was probably going to be better than those three guys at 145 (which I would say he is), but maybe they were being cautious about his 145 ranking as he hadn't fought there yet?

Anyway, did anyone see the nasty spinning head-kick KO that Uriah Hall threw on TUF?

Found these on Youtube:

Seeing a kick like that makes me want to rush out and sign up at a Karate/TKD gym. Although, I'm not even sure if he has a background in those. I think he's mainly a MT guy.

I saw it last night, but for some dumb reason, the show airs the earliest at 11pm in Canada on Sportsnet. I think becasue FX does have a channel in Canada, although I can't get it from my provider.

Nasty kick, and with no crowd noise or commentators talking, that KO seemed nastier than one you would see at an event becasue you could hear the guy gasping for air.

During last week's preview, they showed a clip of Chael & his coaches running into the ring, they edited it to make it look as if they took off right after a KO shot. Myabe I missed it, but I don't remeber seeing Chael run to the cage in the episode. Myabe I am reading too much into it, or maybe there is another crazy KO coming to one of Chael's guys and they just edited that clip into the preview to keep the suspense of who gets knocked out.

Dana was promoting the show and said that one guy has the entire house afraid to fight him, every fight he's in someone goes to the hospital. Early speculation was that it was the Swedish guy Tor Torberg, but now I wonder if Hall is the one who has people afraid. Eitehr way, I hope Hall makes it to the UFC and gets revenge on Wiedman & Phillipou, his only pro loses.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-reveals-vitor-belfort-used-testosterone-replacement-therapy-for-ufc-on-fx-7

UFC officials today answered the question Vitor Belfort refused to address: Yes, "The Phenom" did use testosterone replacement therapy in advance of his UFC on FX 7 win over Michael Bisping.

UFC officials today revealed Belfort was granted a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy prior to the bout and that his post-fight drug screen "did not indicate the presence of any prohibited substance for increasing performance improvement."

Another name to add to the list.

So the UFC granted a fighter permission to use testosterone? WOW. If boxing or the UFC don't change their drug testing procedures, it's just a matter of time before someone gets killed.

There are others have been granted exemptions. It is not a matter of beating a test per se, they still have to come in at normal levels. It is for guys that have low testosterone levels for whatever reason. Some people have a naturally occurring condition, some have a condition after past PED use. Some believe that years of overtraining and weight cutting results in low testosterone as someone ages, I don't know. And it is older guys like Belfort, Sonnen and Dan Henderson that have TRT exemptions. Sonnen and Nate Marquardt both got suspended after their testosterone levels were too high, and they had exemptions. So it is not like they have a license to fill up with as much synthetic testosterone as they want; they still have to maintain a reasonable level.

It is definitely a grey area though. I don't know how I feel about it. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't know if it gives fighters as much of an advantage as some automatically assume. I am OK with it as long as it is for a legitimate medical contition, I suppose. But allowing it does open the door for abuse.

But I think boxing has a much bigger problem with PEDs than MMA does, at least at the top level. I think MMA does a very good job at testing guys for the most part, and has shown that they are not afraid to bust big names. Although, unfortunately there usually are ways to beat the system.