Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

But I think boxing has a much bigger problem with PEDs than MMA does, at least at the top level. I think MMA does a very good job at testing guys for the most part, and has shown that they are not afraid to bust big names. Although, unfortunately there usually are ways to beat the system.

They have the exact same testing procedures, testing is handled by the Commission that has jurisdiction over the fight in boxing and MMA.

Its funny to me that so many guys in MMA seem to suffer from low testosterone, yet in other physical sports, the relative percentages of those granted TUE's are much lower.

In Vitor's case, he's been popped for steroids in the past so I'm not sure why he would be granted an exemption to begin with.

They have the exact same testing procedures, testing is handled by the Commission that has jurisdiction over the fight in boxing and MMA.

Its funny to me that so many guys in MMA seem to suffer from low testosterone, yet in other physical sports, the relative percentages of those granted TUE's are much lower.

In Vitor's case, he's been popped for steroids in the past so I'm not sure why he would be granted an exemption to begin with.

Oh I agree about Vitor. He screwed up in the past, so he should not be given a pass here. If your low T is from past steroid use, tough.

Is the ratio that much different? I don't know of that many guys that have exemptions, maybe a handful (Vitor, Chael, Marquardt, Hendo). I guess I did not realize that other physical sports granted exemptions. Also, does the type of training for MMA lend itself to more potential cases of low T later down the road? Such as intense weight training and weight cutting? I honestly don't know, but I have heard that idea floated by people that supposedly know more than I do. I have heard plenty Average Joes on the couch says that "I am 40, and I don't need TRT." But they also have not been doing the same thing to their bodies that some of these guys have for the last 25 years or so. And it is also not the same kind of training that people in other sports are doing. Then there is the argument that these guys should not be cutting weight and doing what they do to their bodies in the first place, but that is another argument for another time. :)

As for the same testing procedures, I know. But it just seems like there are more people caught in boxing. But I guess there are also a higher volume of boxing cards. Maybe I am wrong; it has happened before. :)

Edited by lovetoaster

Looks like Thiago Tavares was actually the guy who pissed hot after UFC on FX. Pretty funny considering he was beat down so badly by Khabib Nurmagomedov anyway.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/435757/Thiago-Tavares-not-Belfort-tests-positive-for-PEDs-at-UFC-on-FX-7/

Thiago Tavares, not Belfort, tests positive for PEDs at UFC on FX 7

Last week rumors circulated that someone had failed a PED test UFC on FX 7. Talk erroneously turned to Vitor Belfort as the fighter caught, but UFC president Dana White shot down the rumor, although he added that a fighter had failed, and that requisite further testing was underway.

Now Brazil's TATAME is reporting that the fighter is Thiago Tavares, who lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov. Suspension will be for nine months. As Tavares lost, the bout will not be changed to a No Contest.

TATAME exclusively found that the name of the athlete caught is Thiago Tavares. His suspension will be nine months.

Over a 10 year career, this is the first time that Tavares has been caught in a doping test. After earning two consecutive wins, both in Rio de Janeiro, the athlete from Santa Catarina was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov event in Sao Paulo. Besides Tavares, seven other athletes were tested by the newly created Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission.

Tavares is the sixth Brazilian to be caught for doping in the UFC. Before him, the athletes Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva (twice), Rousimar Palhareas, Vinicius Queiroz, and Hermes Franca tested positive for illegal substances. Among all of these only Thiago Alves and Thiago Silva won their respective fights.

Royce Gracie did a seminar at my BJJ school tonight.

That's awesome.

We tried to get him to do a seminar this year at the academy, but he already set his tour schedule for '13. The closet he'll be will be in Alexandria and Dulles area.

I can imagine meeting him would be a humbling experience.

Royce Gracie did a seminar at my BJJ school tonight:

Fun night! First time I've met an MMA legend in person, it was very cool.

Shoulder to shoulder with BJJ royalty, 98 getting too big for us mere peasants. :ols:

On a sidenote, the IOC dropped wrestling from the 2020 games. I wonder if that steers more high level wrestlers to MMA.

That's awesome. How many times did you get him to tap? ;)

I got him to tap on my shoulder a few times to tell me what I was doing wrong. :pfft:

That's awesome.

We tried to get him to do a seminar this year at the academy, but he already set his tour schedule for '13. The closet he'll be will be in Alexandria and Dulles area.

I can imagine meeting him would be a humbling experience.

Shoulder to shoulder with BJJ royalty, 98 getting too big for us mere peasants. :ols:

:ols: It was pretty awesome. I was nervous just driving to the gym knowing that he was going to be there.

On a sidenote, the IOC dropped wrestling from the 2020 games. I wonder if that steers more high level wrestlers to MMA.

Saw this earlier, they're dropping wrestling and adding golf. So ridiculous. I imagine that there's going to be an uproar over this, especially from wrestling-heavy countries like the US and Russia.

VELASQUEZ-SILVA 2, DOS SANTOS-OVEREEM BOOKED FOR UFC 160 IN MAY

For the second straight Memorial Day weekend, the UFC is going to get heavy with its pay-per-view.

The UFC 160 main event will be a heavyweight title fight between champion Cain Velasquez (11-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (18-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC), a rematch from this past Memorial Day weekend. The co-main event features former champ Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) against Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/velasquez-silva-2-dos-santos-overeem-booked-for-ufc-160-in-may

1779840_o.gif

I always loved the way Royce punched his way in to position. He'd batter peoples' ribs until they gave him an easy pass or transition. His fights in the gym are awesome to watch. Dropping 12 to 6 elbows on to the small of the back, gaining high mount and making people surrender, he was a frightening mother****er. His demeanor and physique are still difficult to take seriously, but the guy was a mean mother****er. Congrats on meeting one bad mofo, QBK. And on the blue belt...how long you had that? I really need to get my head out of my ass and learn some jiu jitsu.

I always loved the way Royce punched his way in to position. He'd batter peoples' ribs until they gave him an easy pass or transition. His fights in the gym are awesome to watch. Dropping 12 to 6 elbows on to the small of the back, gaining high mount and making people surrender, he was a frightening mother****er. His demeanor and physique are still difficult to take seriously, but the guy was a mean mother****er. Congrats on meeting one bad mofo, QBK. And on the blue belt...how long you had that? I really need to get my head out of my ass and learn some jiu jitsu.

Thanks man, yeah Royce was a really cool dude too. He would give us a technique then walk around and help each of us personally if he saw us miss a detail here or there and he stuck around and did pics/autographs and just talked to people for a while.

I've had my blue for a year now. Royce actually gave me my first stripe on it the other night. I moved from DC to NC & switched schools in October. My old school in DC didn't do stripes but this one does, so it was pretty cool to have my first stripe come from him.

Good looking out bro. Actually, the matchups are pretty interesting across the board.

Indeed, solid card. Nedkov/Tom Watson had a fight of the year scrap on the facebook prelims.

Looking forward to seeing Gunnar Nelson/Jorge Santiago on the main card. Nelson is my favorite prospect at 170

Cub Swanson/Dustin Poirier should be a lot of fun.

This Jimmo/Te Huna fight is kinda crazy. Te Huna just barely survived a lethal head kick in round 1, and is beating the hell out of Jimmo in the 2nd with ground n pound.

Wouldn't be surprised if this fight ended in a draw. 10-8 first round for Jimmo & Te Huna clearly won the last 2 rounds though.

Edited by StillUnknown

If Dan Henderson beats Machida next Saturday, does he get Anderson Silva next ?

He gets Jonny Boy in the weight class above Anderson (205).

Hendo is my favorite fighter, I'm picking him by KO in the 1st. Every fight I'm worried that Hendo will finally get TKOd, but lately he's just been walloping everyone. He gets cracked so much, but still stays in the game. This isn't Bader or Cotoure's chin, I think Machida's going to have to hit Hendo a few dozen times to get rid of him. Knock on wood!

He gets Jonny Boy in the weight class above Anderson (205).

Hendo is my favorite fighter, I'm picking him by KO in the 1st. Every fight I'm worried that Hendo will finally get TKOd, but lately he's just been walloping everyone. He gets cracked so much, but still stays in the game. This isn't Bader or Cotoure's chin, I think Machida's going to have to hit Hendo a few dozen times to get rid of him. Knock on wood!

Dan probably needs to win in impressive fashion to guarantee the title shot. He has the unfortunate luck of fighting before the Gustafsson/Mousasi match. If Hendo wins ugly and the winner of Goose/Moose wins impressively, Dana has been known to change his mine once or a dozen times.

Dan probably needs to win in impressive fashion to guarantee the title shot.

How so, since he was scheduled to fight Jones only a few months ago, and only a last minute injury kept him from that title shot ? and of course, hasn't lost any fights since that last scheduled title fight ?

Does the recent injury itself lower him as a contender ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository