Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

As much as I want to say Mirgliotta, I suspect it's from being fresh off of his horrible reffing job last night, so stepping away from that temporary bias, I'm going to say Mazzagatti.

The UFC would be smart to work things back out with John McCarthy.

I am going to go with Mirgliotta, last night was pretty bad, but he has had a lot of bad fights previously as well. I think Mirgliotta's amount of mistakes is higher while Mazzagatti's have been of a higher magnitude.

I do not know if we will see Big John back in the UFC for a while. Regardless of things he said about the UFC in the past, he also had more than a few choice words about the Nevada State Athetic Commission. With the frequency of UFC fights in Vegas and the fact that the commission picks the refs, I do not think they are terribly motivated to put him in there. His license has not yet been reinstated after he "retired" and as of the last news I saw, he in only licensed in California, Utah and Ohio, as well as some places in Canada.

The other thing is that he has a fight school that is increasing in popularity. I know the immediate answer is to not have him ref fighters that he is affiliated with, but any possible red flag could be a reason to think twice about using a certain ref.

I think we will probably see him back in the UFC at some point, but I think in hindsight Big John might regret some of his past comments.

Really good card last night.

Mir, wow. I honestly gave him a decent chance against Carwin. thought his experience would give him a slight edge. Not to mention the size he put on should have prevented him from getting pushed around. Man was I wrong. The way Carwin exploded out of the clinch with that left with little to no separation was just freaking phenomenal. Add in this monsters speed on top of his power, he can easily take it to Brock. Randy stunned Brock for a second and his power isn't even in the same league as Carwins. Should be one hell of a fight.

GSP, what can you say about this guy. Has anyone even come close on the ground since he got rocked by Serra? I don't expect to see GSP change his strategy anytime soon, and why should he? I mean, if you can dominate your opponent on the ground and you've been dropped by a midget with one punch, why standup with anyone? I think he's still a little gun shy because of the knockout and that's scary. If he ever gets over that he'll be able to take his game to an even higher level than what it already is. Bottom line, he put on a freaking clinic last night.

Dan Mirli-outta quit reffing. Standing fighters up because the crowd is booing, letting guys take shots when they're already done. Seriously, this guy needs to get fired.

I am going to go with Mirgliotta, last night was pretty bad, but he has had a lot of bad fights previously as well. I think Mirgliotta's amount of mistakes is higher while Mazzagatti's have been of a higher magnitude.

I do not know if we will see Big John back in the UFC for a while. Regardless of things he said about the UFC in the past, he also had more than a few choice words about the Nevada State Athetic Commission. With the frequency of UFC fights in Vegas and the fact that the commission picks the refs, I do not think they are terribly motivated to put him in there. His license has not yet been reinstated after he "retired" and as of the last news I saw, he in only licensed in California, Utah and Ohio, as well as some places in Canada.

The other thing is that he has a fight school that is increasing in popularity. I know the immediate answer is to not have him ref fighters that he is affiliated with, but any possible red flag could be a reason to think twice about using a certain ref.

I think we will probably see him back in the UFC at some point, but I think in hindsight Big John might regret some of his past comments.

I think the safe thing to do is ban any ref with a 10-letter, Italian-sounding last name that begins with 'M.'

I didn't know that McCarthy's Nevada license wasn't reinstated yet. I do remember reading an article a month or two back where McCarthy was saying something like he had no more hard feelings with the UFC, and I think Dana was quoted as generally accepting that as an apology. But who knows what will happen.

I didn't know he had a school either, I could see how that could potentially be a conflict of interest. I'm a student at the Yamasaki academy here. There are a few locations in the DC area but Mario Yamasaki's father is technically the Master, I've wondered before how that would fare if one of the students ever made it to the UFC's level.

I think the safe thing to do is ban any ref with a 10-letter, Italian-sounding last name that begins with 'M.'

:ols:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18492/alistair-overeems-strikeforce-title-on-the-line-may-15-against-brett-rogers.mma

Alistair Overeem's title will on the line, after all.

Strikeforce officials on Sunday night confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Overeem's heavyweight belt will be up for grabs when he faces Brett Rogers at the April 17 "Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery" event at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

Officials initially declined to confirm the championship status of the bout.

MMAjunkie.com first reported the Overeem vs. Rogers title fight earlier this month. But even then, Overeem wasn't sure if his belt would be up for grabs when he meets Rogers in the Showtime-televised event's headliner, and Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said a "surprise announcement" might even be made about the status of the fight.

Now assured of a scheduled five-rounder, Overeem (32-11 MMA, 2-0 SF) makes his first title defense since winning the vacant belt with a win over Paul Buentello in November 2007.

Since that title victory, Overeem has competed overseas, primarily with Japan's DREAM promotion, while extending his current undefeated streak to eight (which includes seven stoppage wins and a no-contest with Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic).

Rogers (10-1 MMA, 2-1 SF), meanwhile, looks to rebound from the first loss of his career, which also came in the highest-profile bout of his career. In November, Rogers met famed heavyweight and former PRIDE champ Fedor Emelianenko in the main event of Strikeforce's first-ever CBS-televised event. Rogers proved a game opponent but suffered an eventual second-round TKO loss. Prior to the defeat, he had 10 straight wins via strikes, and eight had come in the first round.

glad to see the title is on the line, but it doesn't make sense that a fighter coming off a loss gets that shot

With Strikeforce still finding it's roster, I can live with it.

Yeah, I am fine with it. I am just happy that he is finally defending the title against someone. It could be against Butterbean and I would be happy, just because he is finally defending the belt. Although, as I said before, I will always be skeptical about the fight happening until he gets into the cage with that ridiculous gold hammer.

I wish this was against Fedor, and I am sure most others do as well. But they had already announced the fight against Werdum, and the subsequent contract dispute have gotten in the way. So Werdum is on standby, and I am not sure anybody else really deserves a shot more than Rogers.

The question I have is, assume the fight goes down and Overeem wins. How long is Coker going to let Overeem wait before defending the belt again? It will have been what, over two and a half years since he won it? I was looking forward to Overeem and Fedor for the belt, and I do not know if it is ever going to happen.

The question I have is, assume the fight goes down and Overeem wins. How long is Coker going to let Overeem wait before defending the belt again? It will have been what, over two and a half years since he won it? I was looking forward to Overeem and Fedor for the belt, and I do not know if it is ever going to happen.

Good point. Nothing seems real with either Fedor or Overeem until they walk into the cage. It's annoying.

That is one thing that the UFC gives MMA fans is continuity and assurance. The only problem for them is injuries because UFC fighters actually fight a lot more compared to fighters from other promotions.

So I started training. Two BJJ classes in a week so far and a boxing class. In the free roll at the end I got another newbie in an armbar (remembered a little from taking a handful of classes 5 years ago before getting hurt and quitting) and a head and arm triangle. I had never done that before. I just saw it and thought of Big Nog. It was awesome. Other than that just got beat to hell for an hr and half before the free roll. The main thing I have learned so far is that I am tremendously out of shape. After a 5 minute drill I feel like I am going to pass out and my head starts hurting. The next day aches and bruises make it all worth it though. :ols:

In other random thoughts...

The new Undisputed game sounds light years better than last years. The demo is suppose to have 16 fighters. Can't wait for it.

Anyone think Gomi has a chance Wednesday?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18492/alistair-overeems-strikeforce-title-on-the-line-may-15-against-brett-rogers.mma

glad to see the title is on the line, but it doesn't make sense that a fighter coming off a loss gets that shot

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. What happens if Rogers knocks him out and Fedor beats Werdum? Then we get to see Fedor/Rogers II? I'd definitely rather see Overeem/Fedor.

Holy sweet jesus that is funny! :ols::ols:

:ols::ols::ols:

+1

The next day aches and bruises make it all worth it though. :ols:

Try CellMass from GNC. I started taking it once on off days and twice on training days and it helps your body recover like crazy. It won't help bruises and mat burns though lol.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. What happens if Rogers knocks him out and Fedor beats Werdum? Then we get to see Fedor/Rogers II? I'd definitely rather see Overeem/Fedor.

That may actually be the only way we'll see Overeem-Fedor. They will not let Fedor win the title on his last fight under contract.

Try CellMass from GNC. I started taking it once on off days and twice on training days and it helps your body recover like crazy. It won't help bruises and mat burns though lol.

Thanks for the tip. Is that considered a performance enhancer? :silly:

How long have you been training, and at what specifically?

Did anyone else see this title in the tailgate:

"Yahoo - Report: RNC spent $2,000 at sexually themed nightclub with topless dancers "

And read it "Yahoo - Report: Rear Naked Choke spent....."

That may actually be the only way we'll see Overeem-Fedor. They will not let Fedor win the title on his last fight under contract.

Good point. Unless he guarantees them that he's not going elsewhere (aka to the UFC) after his last contract fight, which would be ridiculous but you never know.

Thanks for the tip. Is that considered a performance enhancer? :silly:

How long have you been training, and at what specifically?

I've trained boxing in the past, but right now I'm going on my third month of Jiu Jitsu.

Our class is an hour and a half with a third of it going to warm-ups/conditioning, a third going to technique and drilling and another third going to free sparring.

My first few weeks I was completely exhausted, sore and generally beat up after each class. I got tired of going to class sore so I tried out the Cellmass and it's helped my recovery exponentially. I've used another product of BSN's called NoXplode in the past, just for weight lifting and it was very effective so I figured I'd try the Cellmass and it definitely helped me out. It's a creatine-based supplement, which is what a lot of weight-lifters use to offset soreness/promote recovery.

Did anyone else see this title in the tailgate:

"Yahoo - Report: RNC spent $2,000 at sexually themed nightclub with topless dancers "

UFC Fight Night: Where's Nate Diaz?

Nate Quarry vs. Jorge Rivera: Nate usually has the disadvantage on the ground, but more often than not, has the advantage with striking. I'll take him by being a more disciplined striker. Quarry, UD.

Roy Nelson vs. Stefan Struve: Struve has the reach advantage but Nelson is very good at jelly rolling with punches. Nelson will get inside, drop Struve and finish with a...wait for it...EPIC CRUCIFIX BEATDOWN in the 2nd. Nelson, G&P round 2.

Kenny Florian vs. Takanori Gomi: Thing about Gomi is that he used to fight with a confident rage. After getting owned a few times, that seemed to go away. Some of his fights he even looks disinterested. Florian is as professional as they come and I think he's going to beat the crap out of Gomi for three rounds, to be perfectly honest. Yes Gomi could have a new-found motivation coming to the UFC for the first time, but that won't be enough against the always-sharp Ken Flo. TKO (cut) round 3.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I am a huge KenFlo fan, and for some reason, I would not be very upset if Gomi won. It would spice thing up a little in the LW division.

Yeah I think if Gomi somehow came out and dropped KFlo quickly in the first, that the UFC could start hyping a re-match with BJ, then we'd have the pleasure of seeing BJ choke him out. :D

Unlikely, but I'm all about the story lines in the LW division at this point.