Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Good point about Kimbo tapping out Ray Mercer. Do you think Dana would give Toney a good ground guy to prove a point though? I know Dana is all about the money, but what would be sweeter than having a boxer come in, running his mouth about the sport and get his arm broken in his first fight by a grappler?

It would give Dana something to run his mouth about in the ever-going MMA/Boxing debate.

I believe they'll give him the easiest guy they possibly can. Kimbo is almost too obvious; it doesn't matter if he wins or loses to Mitrione. Honestly, Kimbo might be too well-rounded for Toney :ols:. Hell, they might even give him Mitrione or bring back Houston Alexander.

I don't think the way to go about nabbing boxing fans is to have their stars receiving beatdowns. That sort of alienates an already bitter branch of the MMA tree. If you show that boxers can compete in this sport, some of those boxing fans that don't want to budge might start to accept it a little more.

Of course they'll run their mouths about Toney if he wins a fight, but that's the key. Getting them excited about an MMA fight.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Honestly, Kimbo might be too well-rounded for Toney :ols:.

:ols:

I guess you're right though. Maybe Dana is looking at this at more of a long-term goal, like getting boxing fans to tune in, and not just getting Toney beat to say "I told you so." Although that would be pretty funny too.

i think i would rather see Toney thrown in with someone who would actually be a threat immediately.

i'm still having to listen friends of mine, who only watch boxing, continuously **** on MMA because of Mercer/Sylvia fight (hard to defend that one :ols: )

Timmay fell like a tree in the woods. I wouldn't mind seeing Toney go up against an immediate threat either. I'm sure they could find a grappler/wrestler that could finish him fairly easily, or they could throw Anderson Silva in there and have him knee Toney back to the senior's buffet.

i think i would rather see Toney thrown in with someone who would actually be a threat immediately.

i'm still having to listen friends of mine, who only watch boxing, continuously **** on MMA because of Mercer/Sylvia fight (hard to defend that one :ols: )

All you have to do is bring up the Mercer/Kimbo fight.

:stick:

:) I was raised on boxing by my dad and consider myself a pretty good historian from the Louis era to the Lewis era and not just on HWs. I know and love the sport but these days it takes a huuuge matchup for me to pay for boxing and I honestly don't even do the ESPN or HBO/SHO fights that much any more. MMA has eclipsed boxing for me.

:) I was raised on boxing by my dad and consider myself a pretty good historian from the Louis era to the Lewis era and not just on HWs. I know and love the sport but these days it takes a huuuge matchup for me to pay for boxing and I honestly don't even do the ESPN or HBO/SHO fights that much any more. MMA has eclipsed boxing for me.

boxing's still my first love, which is why its present state kills me :(

i still watch damn near any boxing match thats televised, but thats more with me being a combat sport junkie

MMA is definitely more consistent in terms of entertainment, that much cannot be debated

Edited by StillUnknown

i still watch damn near any boxing match thats televised, but thats more with me being a combat sport junkie

MMA is definitely more consistent in terms of entertainment, that much cannot be debated

Not even debating. Your MMA knowledge dwarfs mine and I think I know a good bit. I'm not a practitioner of MMA like some of you guys in this thread, just a fan. Too old and small.

I am surprised though, that you enjoy boxing as much as you do because of your age, SU. You haven't exactly had the best eras to watch as you grew up so you must really love the sweet science. I know there are still great fights and great fighters but I just lost my taste for the modern scene.

Not even debating. Your MMA knowledge dwarfs mine and I think I know a good bit. I'm not a practitioner of MMA like some of you guys in this thread, just a fan. Too old and small.

I am surprised though, that you enjoy boxing as much as you do because of your age, SU. You haven't exactly had the best eras to watch as you grew up so you must really love the sweet science. I know there are still great fights and great fighters but I just lost my taste for the modern scene.

yeah the science of boxing draws me in the most. i missed out on alot of the classic fights because of my age, but my grandfather had a huge collection of boxing film so i've been watching the old-time classics since i was about 9 or so

Yeah, I have loved boxing all of my life. MMA has eclipsed boxing for me, but I still watch a lot of boxing. Not everything that is on, but a lot of fights on HBO and SHO as well as the occasional PPV. It seems like I used to get almost every boxing PPV, now I actually can not remember the last one I bought. I absolutely will be getting Mosley-Mayweather though.

I could discuss what has happened to boxing all day, but what it boils down to is greed. It is a rut that it is going to be difficult to get out of anytime soon. It is something that I hope never happens to MMA, but with Dana being a boxing guy himself, I think he has seen the mistakes that have been made and hopefully will not repeat them with the UFC.

I think the biggest mistake boxing made was getting away from relatively important fights and true rising stars being on free tv. They expect people to pay PPV prices to see guys fight that the general public does not know about. I am not talking about the Mosleys, Pacquiaos, and Mayweathers of the world, I am talking about Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. and John Duddy, on ppv in June. I remember watching Tyson on ESPN and Razor Rudduck on USA...those fights would not be free now.

The UFC and MMA in general does a good job having free fights that people care about and showcasing rising fighters for free. Then we get to know them and their stories and will be willing to pay to see them fight in the future.

/rant

Boxing is a past time to America and certain other countries. We hold it dear in our hearts, but the reality is that it's a severely limited form of fighting.

People talk about how it's a science, and yeah, that's a valid term of endearment towards all the variables involved. But if throwing two fists is going to be compared to chemistry or biology, what is MMA to be compared to when fighters are as good as Muhammad Ali was to boxing? Quantum Physics?

I love how boxing fans bitter towards MMA always run to, "it's a science, it's a science!" Yeah, I get it. But boxing is a part of MMA, and it's getting better in MMA, and it will get better in MMA. Don't believe me? Well, if the trends pan out the way they've been doing with every other martial art, don't be at all surprised to see world champs doing the good 'ole crossover in to MMA within a decade.

This sounds horribly cliche, should I even say it? This sports tests who is the ultimate fighter (I hear the TUF song in my head). Yeah, it's not actually a no-holds-barred FIGHT, but it's the closest you can get to one while still having it legal. I'm sure with the decline of boxing and the emergence of MMA, boxing will become a farm system, however glorified it might be.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

When people say "Did you see the fight?" They aren't talking about boxing anymore. I think MMA has taken that role. I enjoy watching old Tyson highlights and Ali fights but with the evolution of MMA from simple "cagefighting" with barely any rules, to a real sport sanctioned by athletic commissions and divided into weight classes, it's being taken seriously as the true test of two humans taking each other on in a prizefight.

Factor in all of the monetary issues that boxing has and it's not surprising that MMA is catching on so quickly.

Boxing is a part of MMA and I think it will always have a place as its own sport but I don't think it's ever going to see the same success it's had in past decades.

I used to watch all things boxing as well. Also all things pro wrestling (if anyone wants 2 giant boxes of wrestling tapes including tons of japanese, ecw, ovw with Brock Lesnar, and every Raw and Smackdown for 5 years let me know). MMA takes up all my time now. I can't even watch much K-1 anymore. MMA just satisfies all of it. It is the present and the future.

I would still watch Sumo if it was on though. I miss those 2am ESPN2 tournaments.

Anyone else going to Montreal for UFC 113? I can't wait for it, Shogun vs Machida II!! Hopefully it doesn't have to go to a close decision again.

There used to be someone here who lived in Montreal and met some of their fighters. "Dance04" I think. Haven't seen him around in a long time.

I've got Machida finishing the fight. Can't wait for that one.

There used to be someone here who lived in Montreal and met some of their fighters. "Dance04" I think. Haven't seen him around in a long time.

I've got Machida finishing the fight. Can't wait for that one.

Yeah, it should be awesome. I'm excited to see Koscheck fight too, I know most people dislike him, but the man can fight!!

Good interview from Renzo about his upcoming fight with Matt Hughes:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Gracie-Guard-is-the-Key-Against-Hughes-23659

I like how he says that he punches like a girl. He said that god game him hands to be a piano player not a fighter :ols:

I'm completely pumped for this event. I think this might be one of the better cards since 110.

Video interview on mmamania with Couture:

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/6/1407458/randy-couture-stirring-the-pot-to

Says he hasn't signed to fight Franklin yet. He is pushing to get first crack at Toney. I hope he gets it. Both guys are over 40. Both former champions. This would sell a million ppvs.

No need to get into here, but I am curious how my fellow MMA fans feel about the McNabb deal. How about we all just sign off our next posts with whether we are for or against the deal.

-Against McNabb deal