Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Says he hasn't signed to fight Franklin yet. He is pushing to get first crack at Toney. I hope he gets it. Both guys are over 40. Both former champions. This would sell a million ppvs.

-Against McNabb deal

I just can't seem to get that excited for a Toney-Couture fight. But I can't really put my finger on why. I think Couture takes him down almost at will and grounds and pounds him into oblivion. But who knows, maybe I am wrong. I would rather see Couture-Franklin and have Toney fight someone else.

I assume Toney is fighting at heavyweight? Maybe a fight with someone like Pat Barry or Antoni Hardonk (although I know Barry is unlikely since he is facing Cro Cop soon). It depends on what you think Dana wants to do with Toney, whether he is going to throw him to the wolves in a fight he has the proverbial puncher's chance to win, or one that may be a little more competitive. We'll see I guess, because I have no idea.

- for the McNabb trade (not all in, but optimistic)

Penn video

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/6/1407870/bj-penn-video-on-ufc-112-fight

Shows Penns corner in between the 4th and 5th rounds of the Sanchez fight. His corner tells him: You can win this any way you want. On the cards, or take him out. Cut to Penn "A good fighter would win by decidion. A great fighter would take him out, so I took him out".

Clearly a shot at GSP, and I love it. I hated hearing Greg Jackson in GSP's corner saying "don't try to pass. Just stay in the guard and work." What a joke.

You can't argue Penn's point though.

GSP is just too big for Penn. p4p I'll take Penn.

They have the same number of decisions on their records, GSP has just won all of his. I think the real irony of that quote is that GSP's last stoppage was his TKO over Penn.

So where the hell has Gina Carano been lately?

http://www.mmamania.com/2009/09/07/gina-carano-a-knockout-for-steven-soderbergh-movie/

... annnnnnd ACTION!

Strikeforce female fighting sensation Gina Carano hasn't let a TKO drubbing at the hands of "Cyborg" Santos get in the way of her ever-increasing mainstream appeal.

According to Variety.com, the former face of women's MMA will chop-socky her way onto the big screen courtesy of director Steven Soderbergh, who cast the bodacious beauty as a not-so-nice girl who uses her feminine ferocity to assault any neer-do-wells who happen to require a little Carano-style justice.

Think Sonya Blade with a bottle of Old English.

While "Conviction" is no stranger to fight fans, she also dazzled television audiences with her ability to clown hapless armchair athletes in the modernized version of "American Gladiators" on NBC.

In addition, the Muay Thai Mami has a small role in the upcoming Michael Jai White action film "Blood and Bone."

Soderbergh is perhaps best known for his directorial efforts on "Ocean's 11," "Traffic" and "The Limey."

Shooting is expected to begin in January 2010.

Cyborg beat her back to Hollywood

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Davis-Debuts-Dave-Alter-Ego-at-UFC-112-Saturday-23705

“You've got to switch up your game when you're fighting different people,” said Davis of his game plan. “I don't know what this joker is going to throw at me. I saw a training video of him throwing seven different kinds of smoke and that was in practice. In practice. Not the game. We’re talking about practice. The way I see, I'm not even going to play games with him. I'm going to go in there, get smooth on him, take him down nice and smooth lock up an arm triangle, maybe transition to armbar, bring him back up, knees, knees, knees, elbows, takedown, high kick, low kick, bada bing. Real solid technique stuff. That's all you're going to see out of me.”

i hope they get a chance to show this fight on saturday, but with 2 title fights, its unlikely. its rare the UFC throws 2 young undefeated prospects in against each other

Lots of good info on Anderson in this piece. I didn't even know he had signed a new UFC contract. I think he's getting bored w/ beating up people at 185 and we may see some multi-weight division action out of him during this new 8-fight span.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-silva040710

Silva sets sights from welterweight to heavy

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates – Anderson Silva is so good, and has been so dominant as the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s middleweight title-holder, that it’s big news when he doesn’t obliterate an opponent.

Silva already holds the UFC record for consecutive wins (10) and, on Saturday, will break a tie with Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz if he defeats Demian Maia in the main event of UFC 112 at Ferrari World and reels off the sixth consecutive successful defense of his middleweight belt.

But how does UFC welterweight champion Anderson Silva grab you? Or UFC light heavyweight champion Anderson Silva? Or, better yet, UFC heavyweight champion Anderson Silva?

Well, it’s far from a guarantee that he’ll ever fight for even one of those other belts, but it’s not because the thought hasn’t crossed the soon-to-be 35-year-old’s mind. He’s not the type to call out an opponent and challenge a champion in another division, but he said after a news conference Wednesday that he is seriously considering a drop to 170 pounds for two fights.

One he’d take to see if he could successfully make the welterweight limit, and a second would potentially be for a Superfight with champion Georges St. Pierre.

St. Pierre has put a stranglehold on the welterweight division similar to the one that Silva has on the middleweights. So, naturally, talk of a St. Pierre-Silva fight has arisen. UFC president Dana White has put a damper on the talk recently, however, because he’s begun to believe that Silva is too big for St. Pierre.

If Silva were to drop to 170 to meet St. Pierre, it would create perhaps the biggest fight in UFC history, matching the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Silva said it’s possible, though he was careful not to demand a title bout or call out St. Pierre.

“I’d like to test myself and I always love to take on new challenges,” Silva said of his thoughts about a drop to 170 pounds from the middleweight limit of 185. “It’s not that I want to go fight Georges St. Pierre for his title. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the reigning champion, the absolute champion, in that weight category. But I just want to test myself and see how I’d do at that weight.”

Silva, who recently signed a new eight-fight contract with the UFC, said he hasn’t made 170 pounds in about five years. He’s not looking to campaign in the division, however, and two fights at the weight wouldn’t change that, even if he were successful.

Silva has the otherworldly kind of talent, though, to make an even bigger splash. He’s already knocked out Forrest Griffin, a former light heavyweight champion and if close friend and training partner Lyoto Machida weren’t holding the UFC’s 205-pound belt, he might be eyeing a run at it too.

He also acknowledged an interest in fighting at heavyweight. He’s got the kind of frame to add on the weight and could compete around 225 pounds.

Whether that would be enough to allow him to deal with the behemoths at the top of the division – such as champion Brock Lesnar and No. 1 contender Shane Carwin – is another matter entirely. But one of the things that makes Silva so great is that he thinks big.

“It would be disrespectful for me to say I want to fight Brock Lesnar, who is the heavyweight champion right now,” Silva said. “I need to test myself at heavyweight first before I talk about who I want to fight. But I definitely have interest in testing myself as a heavyweight.”

It would be an enormous boost for the sport if he could make a run at four UFC belts, much like golf benefited in 2000 from Tiger Woods’ run at the grand slam.

There are only two men in UFC history who have held championships in multiple divisions. B.J. Penn has been champion at welterweight and currently holds the lightweight belt. Randy Couture has had multiple stints as both the heavyweight and light heavyweight champion.

Four is unheard of, though, and the race to accomplish it would be an enormous story.

“I understand how big that would be,” Silva said of a run at all four belts. “I already have [three] titles [in the UFC, Shooto and Cage Rage] and it would be a great thing to try to accomplish. Only time will tell what will happen. I would like to try to go to do that, but I’ve had success by focusing on what I have to do and nothing else. I just take one step at a time.”

Hughes praised Silva’s mental toughness and said it’s been a key reason why he’s been able to hang on to the belt so long. Penn shook his head at Silva’s longevity at the top. Silva has held the belt since Oct. 14, 2006, and recently broke Ortiz’s record for most days as the champion. Ortiz held the UFC’s light heavyweight belt from April 14, 2000, until Sept. 24, 2003, when he lost it to Couture.

“It’s amazing,” Penn said of Silva’s lengthy run at the top of the middleweight heap. “To do that for that long and to be at the top for that period of time, it’s amazing.”

It’s nothing, however, compared to what may come. If Silva keeps the belt by getting past Maia on Saturday, he could be in store for some magnificent adventures.

If he ever gets in position for a heavyweight title fight with Lesnar, the UFC might need to bring in a couple of armored trucks to haul in the money he’d make.

Silva, though, isn’t motivated by money as much as he is by pushing himself and testing the limits of his skills. It’s why he’d think about shedding the pounds to fight St. Pierre or to even consider taking on the gargantuan Lesnar.

Silva is already a larger-than-life character, but the best may be yet to come. His idol is the comic-book character Spider-Man, he said, noting: “Ever since I’ve been a kid, I’ve wanted to be a superhero. That would be kind of cool.”

If he beats St. Pierre and he beats Lesnar, it’s pretty much guaranteed he’ll never have to dream of becoming a superhero again. Do that and he’ll be one in real life.

UFC 112 Countdown tonight at midnight

just a reminder, the live PPV starts at 1pm(est) saturday

Damn, I forgot that the live feed starts so early. I've got to watch it live, otherwise I'll end up hearing a spoiler from someone.

So according to Wiki this is going to be in an open-air arena:

UFC 112 will be the first UFC event to be held in an outdoor arena.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_112

I don't see anything about it on the UFC's web site, does that mean that they'll be fighting out in the heat?

Damn, I forgot that the live feed starts so early. I've got to watch it live, otherwise I'll end up hearing a spoiler from someone.

So according to Wiki this is going to be in an open-air arena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_112

I don't see anything about it on the UFC's web site, does that mean that they'll be fighting out in the heat?

yep, i hope the fighters have trained to deal with the heat. going 20-25 minutes in 90degrees would take some special preparation i would assume

dana said he was worried about it being maybe a little sandy or dusty if the wind kicks up

UFC 112 Countdown tonight at midnight

just a reminder, the live PPV starts at 1pm(est) saturday

So wait, will they broadcast it at night or at 1pm? Or both? My friend and I usually go to our Buffalo Wild Wings for the fight because they are one of two bars in Blacksburg that show UFC, so if it's at 1pm, that changes some plans :ols:

Edit: Nevermind, found it, there will be a replay at 10. I hope none of the fights get ruined before that...

Edited by styx491