Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Edit: Nevermind, found it, there will be a replay at 10. I hope none of the fights get ruined before that...

I am going to have to order it at 1. Inevitably I see something something on the bottom of the screen on ESPN, or on the web or get a text message from one of my friends. Looks like I will be cracking a beer a little earlier than I normally do on Saturday this week. Oh well, I had been planning for it. It just means I will be a little busier on Friday night and Sunday.

The UFC had seven of the top 10 PPV events of 2008, boxing had two. That's all I am saying.

Boxing has plenty of grappling too. They are just standing when they are doing it and it is not supposed to be a part of the sport.

I love MMA, I love boxing. They are different sports. I will say that boxing has a lot of work to do to excite what is a dwindling fan base. I still get fired up for a big boxing match, for me, there is nothing like it. But there are fewer and fewer of those fights and I find myself watching fewer bouts because there are very few I am interested in watching anymore.

Anyways, this is not the Boxing/MMA pissing match thread.

Boxing, to me, just seems like four fist and two skulls. And, I personally do not find it exciting to watch.

Boxing needs to do a lot to catch up to MMA and UFC in particular.

It is a shame that Floyd Mayweather was to much of a wimp to Pac-Man. That event could have helped put boxing back on the map, for at least a little while. I do not even like boxing but I would have loved to have seen that fight. Hopefully, it can still happen.

So wait, will they broadcast it at night or at 1pm? Or both? My friend and I usually go to our Buffalo Wild Wings for the fight because they are one of two bars in Blacksburg that show UFC, so if it's at 1pm, that changes some plans :ols:

Edit: Nevermind, found it, there will be a replay at 10. I hope none of the fights get ruined before that...

Same game plan here. My cable box showed a bunch of play times starting around one o'clock pm. It didn't hit me they are playing it at that time because it is Abu Dhabi, in the bloody middle east.

I ordered the ten o'clock showing because I get of from work by then and will have plenty of time to watch it before I get home.

This is a must watch for me due to my two favorite fighters being the main event. Even though Anderson Silva is my favorite figther I am going to root for Demian Maia. As Jiu-Jitsu student I feel obligated to root for a fellow jiu-jitsuest.

I am going to have to order it at 1. Inevitably I see something something on the bottom of the screen on ESPN, or on the web or get a text message from one of my friends. Looks like I will be cracking a beer a little earlier than I normally do on Saturday this week. Oh well, I had been planning for it. It just means I will be a little busier on Friday night and Sunday.

That's my luck too, I'm sure that if I order the night showing I'll end up hearing something about it before I get to see it. Plus I just don't have the patience to wait until a later showing when I know it's going to be on a delay.

I remember when UFC 75 was taking place I forgot it was on a delay and I was looking at Rampage's wiki page and saw that it had him beating Hendo, so I figured it was a joke and changed it to show that the fight hadn't happened. Five minutes later it was changed back and that's when I realized that I had just ruined the main even for myself. :doh:

Same game plan here. My cable box showed a bunch of play times starting around one o'clock pm. It didn't hit me they are playing it at that time because it is Abu Dhabi, in the bloody middle east.

I ordered the ten o'clock showing because I get of from work by then and will have plenty of time to watch it before I get home.

This is a must watch for me due to my two favorite fighters being the main event. Even though Anderson Silva is my favorite figther I am going to root for Demian Maia. As Jiu-Jitsu student I feel obligated to root for a fellow jiu-jitsuest.

I think Maia will probably get destroyed. If he can survive getting KO'd and somehow take Anderson down, I think he can pass his guard pretty easily and probably get a submission though. Maia's MMA Jiu Jitsu is some of the best in the game and he's got good takedowns but the problem is getting past Anderson's strikes, which I don't see happening.

if either Edgar or Maia had any power, i'd be tempted to wager a small amount just because the potential return is so great

I'm real high on Frankie Edgar. If he wasn't fighting my fave fighter, I'd be so tempted to pick him this weekend. His cardio has gotten silly. The man wore out Tyson Griffin and Sean Sherk. He out-toughed Spencer Fisher. The loss to Maynard stumps me. I'm not saying by any stretch that Edgar's "better" than BJ Penn but I am wondering if Penn is looking past him. Somehow I can't imaging BJ is working that hard in preparation for him.

However, like you say- the lack of power makes him almost an afterthought.

Thing about a guy like Frankie Edgar is that he has hardly failed to impress time in and time out. He has clean boxing, cardio for days, good wrestling, and his eyes are very close together. Yeah, that's about all. But all those attributes get better and closer together every time we see him.

The dude will have to have his wrestling sharpened beyond recognition, as well as his boxing being even better than it was against Sherk. This fight is 100% BJ Penn's to lose. Edgar can surprise us by landing some shots on BJ while standing, however unlikely you may consider that to be, but to be anywhere around 160-170 pounds and drop BJ Penn is unfathomable. The only person I could see doing it is Melvin Guillard, but it'd be like Mark McGwire taking a close-eyed hack at Tim Lincecum two-seamer. Forget swing and a miss; it would be swing and a loss.

I digress, Edgar is a tough dude but like most of the people in lightweight, he leans on being a little ball of energy that outworks and wears you down. BJ is one of the only fighters in that division that has a methodically diverse skillset. And along with his stopping power, I just don't see anybody in the UFC beating him at 155 until he's either lost a step, unmotivated (that's happened before!) or some new phenom enters the picture.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think Maia has a better chance at an upset than Edgar. Maia also has a better chance at getting finished quicker though. I think Edgar can push this fight for 5 rounds if he's really on top of his game but I don't see him stopping BJ short of an injury or miracle. If Maia gets a takedown and gets in a dominant position with some time in a round he can submit Anderson. Edgar doesn't have the KO power and he doesn't have the submission skills to finish this fight IMO.

If BJ wins tomorrow whats left for him in LW. Aoki is the only LW that presents a challenge to BJ. Does he move to WW and have a few fights to get comfortable at that weight before fighting GSP for the third time?

Unless the UFC signs Aoki or Alvarez, I think he'll prob do a fight or two at 170 and see how LW pans out.

UFC 112: Bodies may be left in the Sand

Mark Munoz vs. Kendall Grove: Grove cant stop Munoz from taking him down, Munoz just has to be wary of Grove's submission game. Munoz has looked alot better since joining Blackhouse, i think he pounds Grove into defeat

Munoz by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Terry Etim: Etim has looked great against not so good opposition, showcasing some good standup and good ground game. his downfall are wrestlers with submission knowledge. Dos Anjos should be able to ground Etim when he wants and has the better ground game. i see Etim winning the exchanges on the feet and scrambling up if he gets taken down, he should be able to do enough to get the decision

Etim by Unanimous Decision

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie: i will never root against Renzo Gracie. i was always a fan, but after watching his documentary, Legacy, he became one of my favorites of all time. he's the only gracie who ever tried to add more elements to their game, but he still sucks at striking. fortunately for him, so does Hughes. in fact, god help us if this fight doesnt go to the ground. a standup battle between these two will be ugly. Hughes knows enough about submissions and will use his strength to beat Renzo.

Hughes by Unanimous Decision

BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar: Edgar is simply outclassed everywhere this fight goes. his best option would be to stick the outside and focus on leg kicks as BJ doesnt really bother to check them. edgar does possess some fast hands so maybe he can work some combinations and get out before BJ can retaliate. still lasting 25 minutes w/o tasting BJ's power seems to be too much to expect from Edgar. BJ clips him standing in the 3rd and finishes him with the rear naked choke

Penn by Submission, 3rd Round

Anderson Silva vs. Demian Maia: how does Maia get this to the ground? he's not a good enough wrestler to simply shoot in on Anderson. trying to get the clinch for trip takedown is virtual suicide with Anderson. flopping to his back a la Leites probably wont work either. maybe he channels his inner Ryo Chonan and attempts the flying heel hook? otherwise i think Anderson takes his time and picks him apart on the feet. i dont think Anderson will do anything to crazy standing simply to protect from being grounded. Anderson will use his boxing mostly and destroy Maia standing, finishing him with some ground n pound.

Silva by (T)KO, 3rd Round

UFC 112: Giant Sand Spider Silva

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie: I like Renzo too, SU. Seems like a very congenial guy. However- a good point was made by Matt Hughes in the countdown show. Renzo is 43 years old and has had approximately 15 fights, not one in a cage. Even an old fogey like Matt Hughes has too much cage experience for Renzo Gracie. Here's what I'm hoping for.. Did any of you see the IFL coaches fight between Pat Militech and Renzo gracie? The whole world thought Pat would kill him but Renzo locked in a guillotine and held it for like 45 seconds until Pat finally tapped. Find that choke tomorrow, Renzo.

Hughes by G&P, rd 2

BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar: I have become a Frankie fan over the last year but I agree with SU, the only thing he's got on BJ is cardio so he's got to extend this thing to a decision while taking punishment from Penn. If Diego Sanchez couldn't overcome that, neither will Edgar. (I should note though that I do have trouble believeing BJ trained hard for this fight.)

Penn by KTFO, 4th Round

Anderson Silva vs. Demian Maia: This fight is already over.

Silva by (T)KO, 1st Round

Thank you StillUnknown for the template.

Edited by Chachie

Same here. At the weighins he looked a little less shredded than he has for his past couple fights.

If he didn't, Frankie will shock him. Edgar is a different fighter right now. Dude has made huge strides with cardio and striking in the last 18 months.

Any word on James Toney?

I only vaugely follow the sport' date=' but would like to see the transition for Toney.[/quote']

There have been hunches thrown out there that seem viable. The one that would surprise everyone is if he's put against Randy Couture, who is one of the most celebrated fighters in the sport's history. He's something like 44 years old, but is still a ridiculously good greco roman wrestler.

Kimbo Slice is another guy that Toney might see. Kimbo is fighting soon, but whether or not he wins or loses, I have a feeling this is the matchup we'll get. If not sooner, probably later.

In my opinion, they will try to give him a guy without much wrestling or ground fighting skills so he can possibly get a win under his belt. Kimbo doesn't have much of either by UFC standards, but he did choke out Ray Mercer and showed flashes of wrestling in his last fight. Kimbo might actually win that fight on the ground, but it'd be a huge attraction.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Any word on James Toney?

I only vaugely follow the sport' date=' but would like to see the transition for Toney.[/quote']

they're still trying to figure out who to match him against. so far it looks like it will be either Randy Couture or Roy Nelson, although thats pure speculation

on a sidenote, i think BJ is taking Frankie seriously, he looked about the same as he has for his last 3 fights to me :whoknows:

BJ Penn Refuses to look past Frankie Edgar

"I’ve always been impressed with him from the beginning," Penn said recently. "The first time I heard of Frankie Edgar it was a night of really bad fights. And I remember somebody saying that Frankie Edgar and Tyson Griffin got the Fight of the Night. And I actually haven’t gotten to see that fight until recently – until I started studying some of Frankie’s tapes.

"And then I know Mark Bocek really well and Bocek ended up fighting Frankie. So I saw Frankie again, there. And then I remember Frankie fighting Spencer Fisher and fighting Sean Sherk. But throughout all... throughout those times I never knew if there was going to be a show down between me and Frankie, so I didn’t really pay any attention. I just thought well there’s another good guy in the division. And now since this fight got put together I’ve been really trying to study Frankie."

Looking to the future has cost many fighters the victory that was sitting right in front of them, and Penn understands that even glancing past Edgar could not only derail his plans for the future, but also take away the lightweight title he wears so proudly.

"I’ve said many times Frankie Edgar is not the guy to look past," said Penn. "Anybody who looks past Frankie Edgar is going to end up with another loss on their record and this isn’t the guy you play around with. So I’m not thinking about anything past April 10."

Edited by StillUnknown