Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Here's what I was talking about

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11040&zoneid=13

This and the contract dispute they just went through makes me think the third fight will be outside of Strikeforce with a Strikeforce banner on the ring and on the poster.

Even if it is in Japan, he can fight Overeem or any other Dream/Strikeforce guy since they're co-promoting. They could do the fight under the Dream banner, I don't think Fedor has anything against fighting Overeem in Japan.

IMO, the most telling time for the last half of Fedor's career will be after the third fight. If he beats Werdum and whomever he has in the third Strikforce/Dream/M-1 fight, we'll know his intentions. He'll either sign with the UFC or re-sign with M-1.

If he re-signs with M-1 he'd be making a big mistake because there will be no one left to challenge him outside of the UFC.

Even if it is in Japan, he can fight Overeem or any other Dream/Strikeforce guy since they're co-promoting. They could do the fight under the Dream banner, I don't think Fedor has anything against fighting Overeem in Japan.

IMO, the most telling time for the last half of Fedor's career will be after the third fight. If he beats Werdum and whomever he has in the third Strikforce/Dream/M-1 fight, we'll know his intentions. He'll either sign with the UFC or re-sign with M-1.

If he re-signs with M-1 he'd be making a big mistake because there will be no one left to challenge him outside of the UFC.

I thought I read Fedor was concerned about Overeem avoiding testing. Can't remember where though.

I'm much more interested in the Mir/Carwin fight than I am the GSP/Hardy fight (no doubt I'm not alone). In order for Mir to sub Carwin, he'll either have to rock him or tire him out. Not sure if he's capable of doing either. Carwin should be able to stuff his take down attempts early. I think Mir will try to chop away at Carwin's legs and take the occasional shot to keep him honest. I expect Mir to win by sub just like everyone else, but wouldn't be shocked if Carwin was able to catch Mir with a solid shot and finish with brutal GnP.

Sorry, I just don't see much in Hardy. He's got that damn puncher's chance, but I don't care who he brought in to train on the mat with; If it wasn't GSP, he doesn't know what he's in for. I see this one ending in the 4th by a mixture of exhaustion on Hardy's part and pounding by GSP.

I'm much more interested in the Mir/Carwin fight than I am the GSP/Hardy fight (no doubt I'm not alone). In order for Mir to sub Carwin, he'll either have to rock him or tire him out. Not sure if he's capable of doing either. Carwin should be able to stuff his take down attempts early. I think Mir will try to chop away at Carwin's legs and take the occasional shot to keep him honest. I expect Mir to win by sub just like everyone else, but wouldn't be shocked if Carwin was able to catch Mir with a solid shot and finish with brutal GnP.

Sorry, I just don't see much in Hardy. He's got that damn puncher's chance, but I don't care who he brought in to train on the mat with; If it wasn't GSP, he doesn't know what he's in for. I see this one ending in the 4th by a mixture of exhaustion on Hardy's part and pounding by GSP.

i think the bigger question is whether or not GSP will finish Hardy. i'd be shocked if the fight sees the 4th round

Edited by StillUnknown

The weigh-ins are done.Anyone happen to catch them? I'm gonna go pick up some dinner and think about my picks for tomorrow night.

i saw them, everybody made weight except Rory Markham (177, must be on that Anthony Johnson diet)

one thing i noticed is, Carwin is nowhere near the 6'5 the UFC likes to refer him as. he was about 2 inches shorter than Mir in the faceoff despite the fact that he had shoes on and Mir didnt. they both weighed in at 265, Mir looked to be in great shape actually (maybe taking advice from Overeem :whoknows: )

i saw them, everybody made weight except Rory Markham (177, must be on that Anthony Johnson diet)

Nate better watch his Ps and Qs in there with Markham. Dude doesn't always win but he can throw cannonballs. The styles in this fight sort of mirror the Mir-Carwin fight. (Sort of.)

one thing i noticed is, Carwin is nowhere near the 6'5 the UFC likes to refer him as. he was about 2 inches shorter than Mir in the faceoff despite the fact that he had shoes on and Mir didnt. they both weighed in at 265, Mir looked to be in great shape actually (maybe taking advice from Overeem :whoknows: )

Now you can't prove that, SU!! :mad: :pfft:

I know there's the punch factor with Carwin, but I have to believe Frank's ego took such a dent vs. Lesnar that he's gone "next level" in training and is bringing a ton to the table tomorrow night. This is by far the biggest fight and best opponent of Shane's young career.

UFC 111: We Give A Great Par-form-aaance!!

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown: Brown is tough but he's gonna have to have the night of his life against Almeida's ground game.

Almeida by submission, rd 2

Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham: Wow. This could be a big mistake for Nate the Semi-Great. Rory is a dangerous striker. Diaz is a defensive fighter so that can get him some time to find a groove but he better get a takedown fast. Markham's power make this fight a much tougher pick than most would give it credit for. I don't pick against the Diaz Bros, but I'm nervous for Nathan.

Diaz? by triangle choke? I guess?

Jon Fitch vs. Ben Saunders: Watch the clinch, Fitch. And until I see you finish a fight, I'm not picking you to finish a fight.

Jon Fitch by UD

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir: As we get closer to this fight, I start thinking of ways Carwin could win but I can't forget the reasons Mir will win. He's on fire right now and he's not going to do anything stupid against this puncher. I say he extends the fight to the 2nd rd and wears Carwin down from there.

Frank the Wank by TKO, maybe 3rd rd

Dan "the Outlaw" Hardy challenges George "Rush" St. Pierre: I have no idea why I want the Brit to land a lucky punch and put GSP on Neptune. I just do.

GSP by RNC, rd 3

Date: Mar 26, 2010

Venue: Fresno, Calif.

Broadcast: Showtime

MAIN CARD

• Lavar Johnson vs. Lolohea Mahe
  • George Bush III vs. Ron "Abongo" Humphrey
  • Andre Galvao vs. Luke Stewart
  • Zoila Frausto vs. Miesha Tate
  • Justin Wilcox vs. Shamar Bailey

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Ben Holscher vs. Alex Trevino
  • Daniel Cormier vs. John Devine
  • Luis Jaguarie (a) vs. Paul Ruiz (a)
  • Ricky Jackson (a) vs. Trinidad Valdez (a)
  • John Paul (a) vs. Robert Pinon (a)
  • Chris Buron (a) vs. Avery Kaleo (a)

(a) - Amateur

card starts tonight at 11:45pm(est) on Showtime

I read a Q&A with Carwin where someone asked him when the UFC was going to fix his profile. He said he is almost 6-1.

I read a Q&A with Carwin where someone asked him when the UFC was going to fix his profile. He said he is almost 6-1.

funny because during the interview during the Versus event, rogan said he was 11-0 with 11 knockouts, but he has 5 submission victories

the ufc doesnt let facts get in the way of promoting a fight :ols:

funny because during the interview during the Versus event, rogan said he was 11-0 with 11 knockouts, but he has 5 submission victories

the ufc doesnt let facts get in the way of promoting a fight :ols:

Very interesting. I have been operating on UFC's bad info on both the height and the sub victories. This is quite a different matchup than I have calculated but I'm not changing my pick. Mir should win.

Yeah Wikipedia has always had him listed as 6-2 and his official web site does as well.

UFC.com has him at 6-5 though...you know they'd never exaggerate.

UFC 111: Does this mean I don't have to hear "OI OI!!!!" anymore?, picks:

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown: Matt Brown gets better every time he goes out there. Definitely think he can pull this out. But I gotta lean towards Almeida. He will have the advantage on the ground and he should be able to handle Brown's standup if he stays patient. Almeida, Guillotine RD 2.

Jim Miller vs. Mark Bocek: Would really like to go against the grain here. Virtually everyone besides a couple of Bocek's family members are picking Miller. I am picking Miller too. He's such a solid fighter and seems to be so comfortable attacking in there. Miller UD

Jon Fitch vs. Ben Saunders: Saunders was smiling like a Jamaican that just scored a stash at the weigh ins. If I had to guess, he's trying hard to make Fitch think he has a few tricks up his sleeve. If I had to guess again, I don't think he has those tricks. Fitch is so solid that I give Saunders a knee'ers chance. Fitch, UD.

Frank Mir vs. Shane Carwin: Carwin is a 6 foot 8, 360 pound man with an 11-0 record and all 11 were from gogoplatas. This guy needs no introfriggenduction! Brock Who? Oh yeah, and I got Frank to win this. He wouldn't have to say a word (which is like asking Satan to **** icicles) and you could tell this guy is on a mission. Gonzaga had Carwin. Then he had him again. I think he might have even had him again. But Gonzaga is a gatekeeper, and he got countered like a gatekeeper. Mir isn't, and he'll finish Carwin the way Gonzaga should have. Mir, TKO G&P, round 1.

George St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy: Oi Oi!!!! Jesus cheeseball christ, the UFC commercials are getting incredibly tough to watch 35 times a day. "In this business, there's always somebody better." NO THERE ISN'T. Not right now at least. Yeah, Hardy could close his eyes and hit a homerun, but a minor league baseball player could eventually do that to a prime Cy Young if he kept swinging. Doesn't mean he's a better baseball player. I digress, GSP, barring a Serra-swing, should totally rearrange Dan Hardy's face here. GSP by TKO (cut) Round 3. And the call for a for a move to middleweight escalates.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Just watched the weigh-ins. Nate really doesn't take a day off from being a douchebag, does he?

Mir looks like he fits right in at 265lbs. For some reason I thought Carwin was going to be the bigger fighter, but he looked slightly smaller and quite a bit flabbier than Mir. I know physiques mean **** in fighting, but Mir must have had one hell of a training camp. Carwin may be in for a rough night.

Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham: Markham needs to win if he would like to remain employed. diaz still looks to have the same physique despite going up to WW. Diaz could make this easy by going to the ground, but he's never been confused with being smart.

Diaz by Unanimous Decision

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown: Almeida is as about as one-dimensional as they come. if he cant get it to the ground, Brown will pick him apart on the feet. somehow this hits the ground though

Almeida by Submission, 2nd Round

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Fabricio Camoes: Camoes can match Pellegrino on the ground, so kurt should look to keep it standing where he should hold some advantage. close fight, i'm picking the underdog in Camoes for no reason at all

Camoes by Submission, 3rd Round

Jim Miller vs. Mark Bocek: Miller is a terrible matchup for Bocek, dont really see how he wins outside of catching Miller in a slick submission

Miller by Unanimous Decision

Jon Fitch vs. Ben Saunders: Saunders was taken down by Swick, i really dont see how he stops fitch from repeatedly taking him down

Fitch by Unanimous Decision

Frank Mir vs. Shane Carwin: Carwin has kill power, Mir doesnt like punishment, so carwin can win, but his options are limited to the kill shot. on the feet, he's slow & not that technical. i cant see Mir letting carwin stop his obsession with Brock

Mir by (T)KO, 2nd Round

GSP vs. Dan Hardy: this song sums up Dan Hardy's chances tonight the only question is whether GSP will finish this fight, it says alot if he doesnt finish him.

GSP by Submission, 2nd Round

Edited by StillUnknown

UFC 111: Main Event: Jersey Bore!

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown: What's next to like about Matt Brown? Guy has no quit in him and keeps getting better and better. I don't think he is ready for someone like Almeida though. I'm psyched to see Almeida at 170. It would be great to have a new contender emerge at welterweight. He'll get his hooks in to Brown early.

Almeida by submission, rd 1

Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham: I was set to pick Markham here, but he missed weight by 7lbs. That tells me he has some sort of injury that kept him from making the cut. However, it may be something minor and the weight difference can be an advantage. This is a tough one for me. I'll just go with a classic Diaz bros finish

Markham by split decision

Jon Fitch vs. Ben Saunders: Saunders looked great his last time out. Marcus Davis let him showcase his standup skills. Fitch won't. Swick held Saunders down. Fitch will do the same.

Jon Fitch by UD

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir: :ols:at "Frank the Wank". My new favorite nickname. Wanky has been getting a lot of love lately which leads to backlashes by contrarians like me. Carwin was preparing for Lesnar before this fight had to be made. He is coming off two camps. He knows how Lesnar has beaten Wank.He will do the same.

Carwin by TKO 1st rd

Dan "Hardly a Chance in Hell" Hardy challenges George "Rush" St. Pierre:

GSP by submission rnd 2

I'll also take Miller over Bocek in The Fight of the Night

GSP for Submission of the Night

Carwin for KO of the Night

Edited by Sebowski

Sebowski I like your Markham pick. I always root for the Diaz Bros so I can't pick against Nate but I think he will see some serious power tonight in a higher weight class and in a guy who hits hard for that weight class. If Diaz wins this, he will impress the heck out of me.

I also agree that Carwin's best plan is a carbon copy of Mir-Lesnar II. I just don't know if Wankalot is going to let Shane get near him in the 1st rd. After that, Carwin is a mystery.