Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

All this because the Sandman looks a bit gaunt?

I'm not sure about all of the weigh-cutting stuff, but he does look terrible. He looks so bad that I almost want to say that it's something besides the cutting. His face looks bony, which (as far as I know) isn't a result of water deprivation.

I know that he had a serious problem with painkillers at one point. I wonder if he's been struggling with drugs again? Hard to say.

I guess I'll make judgment once I see what he looks like tonight. It's hard to say who wins his match though because he and Sakara are so hot and cold as fighters. Sakara will lose a fight to Houston Alexander only to return a few fights later and beat Thales Leites.

I will say though, that if he looks like that from cutting weight, then he needs to get back to 205 ASAP. For most people there comes a point where cutting a certain amount of weight ends up costing more than helping.

UFC on Versus: The Truth is a Lie

James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara: Sakara is a waste of a bad ass nickname. Irvin looks as though he'll have some serious conditioning problems if this fight lasts more an a minute. sakara can punch, but has a **** defense. i would be shocked if this goes the distance

Sakara by (T)KO, 2nd round

Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello: unless kongo is still shell-shocked from what Mir did to him, i cant see him losing this fight. Buentello is a striker, but not particularly good technically. Kongo will be in his element this fight and pick up the w

Kongo by (T)KO, 1st Round

Junior Dos Santos vs. ManBearPig: Gonzaga is a fighter who's dangerous until he faces any form of adversity. his gas tank only has about 3min of fight in him so whatever success he has will be early in the fight. he also suffers from Jorge Gurgel syndrome as he tends to forget he's a very high-level blackbelt in jiu-jitsu. JDS has shown great striking, but his ground game hasn't been tested in the UFC. gonzaga should do all he can to get it to the ground, but he wont and will pay the price for his strategy.

JDS by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera: Jones has looked exponentially better everytime he's fought in the cage. his striking looked alot more refined against Hammil, no doubt the result of training with mma's Yoda in Greg Jackson. this will be Jones' first fight against someone with great striking. Vera still has people wondering if he'll even come close to who he was hyped to be. vera has all the physical tools to dominate, but has never seemed capable of putting them together. at this point, he is who he is. Vera fights timidly, jones' freakish reach and speed will give Vera fits. if Vera does close the distance and initiates the clinch, he does so at his own peril as it puts him right in line to be thrown on his ass. i see Jones' reach being too much for Vera to overcome, vera will last all 3, but it will be clear Jones is the better fighter

Jones by Unanimous Decision

UFC Live on Versus: Thank God Direct TV came to their senses.

James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara: Irvin does look emaciated but I can't predict a win for the Legionaire. I just don't think much of him.

Enter Sandman, rd 1

Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello: I'm a Buentello fan, especially since he demolished "Baby Fedor in Affliction. I also think he's got a lot more grit than Kongo. If it doesn't end in one, I think Paul will eek out a decision.

Buentello by split D

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gonzaga: LOL!! ManBearPig!! Once seemingly invincible after destroying CroCop but now a HW afterthought.

Dos Santos should kill him. Probably early.

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera: A lot of MMA fans are giving Vera too much credit. His youth and striking should have been more than enough against Couture and he still couldn't get anything done. His only chance tonight is a highkick KO or something similar. I know he's got experience but he just doesn't show up like he used to.

Jones by G&P, I'll say rd 3 after wearing Vera down with pressure.

Thank you StillUnknown for the template.

Edited by Chachie

UFC on Versus 1: Irvin vs. Fat, picks:

Alessio Sakara vs. James Irvin: These guys together should make for a crazy fight. I'll say fight of the night. Sakara by terrorist beard round 3.

Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello: I hope for Kongo's sake that he comes back tonight using the Mir fight as motivation to go ape****. He should come in to this fight focused and ready to make a statement. He really, really needs to win this fight, he has no ground game and can't afford to lose another fight being outstruck. It's all he has. Kongo, KO, Round 1.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga: Standing up, this is interesting. Dos Santos has the machine gun, Gonzaga has the grenades. I expect Dos Santos to score more points on the feet but Gonzaga can always land that Gorilla punch/Kangaroo kick and it could turn the tides. I give him more than a puncher's chance, he's better than just a throw-and-pray type fighter. I think Gonzaga will change up his approach after getting dropped by Carwin. He should, you wouldn't know how accomplished the guy is by watching most of his fights. Take him down Gonzaga! Gonzaga, G&P, round 2.

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera: I would be surprised if Jones even gets hurt in this fight. Vera was an old school prospect, Jones seems like the new era of the Mixed Martial Artist. To me, this is Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu vs. a true Mixed Martial Arts expert. Jon Jones, TKO (Cut from G&P), round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think the suggestion of random weigh ins is not realistic. I don't think the commissions will consider water weight an illegal substance any time soon.

What would the punishment be for fighters getting "caught" being overweight in a random weigh test? Money? It just seems too outlandish. Fighters should only worry about weight for the week leading up to the fight. Until then, go balls-out with the protein.

I'm not sold on weighing in the same day of the fight, either. A day to rejuvenate yourself from a weight cut is enough to get all of your energy back most of the time. Say a fighter has to spend time in the sauna or on the bike with a sweat suit the same day of the fight; that could be potentially draining. Yeah, he's an idiot for needing to cut on fight day, but it sucks for us as fans too. I have no problem with the way it is.

There shouldn't be any weight cuts at all prior to a fight. The fight weight should be an average weight taken the month (yes month) prior to the fight. Cutting weight is extremely unhealthy and makes for some ridiculous looking fights when fighters are caught over doing it and can barely move around from such extreme loss.

What am I missing here? All this talk of no weight cutting seems silly to me. You can't have 2 guys fighting at drastically different weights in modern MMA. It was a gimmick in the old days.

i agree that outlawing weight cutting will never happen (mainly because its next to impossible to stop it)

the problem is now even with weight-cutting you get fights where the fighters look to be in different divisions (frankie edgar/gray maynard comes to mind). these instances are rare though, most people in mma dont cut massive amounts of weight

add to the fact that cutting weight affects fighters in different ways. conventional wisdom would think it would be taxing on your conditioning, but Forrest Griffin is probably the biggest LHW out there (he said he cuts from 230) yet his conditioning is his greatest asset. there's a science to cutting weight, when done correctly its not that dangerous

Edited by StillUnknown

What am I missing here? All this talk of no weight cutting seems silly to me. You can't have 2 guys fighting at drastically different weights in modern MMA. It was a gimmick in the old days.

What you have now is guys that are obviously different weight classes fighting (see the before mentioned Maynard fight). I'm saying they should be in the weight classes they naturally belong in. ie if you walk around and train at 180 you are 180.

What you have now is guys that are obviously different weight classes fighting (see the before mentioned Maynard fight). I'm saying they should be in the weight classes they naturally belong in. ie if you walk around and train at 180 you are 180.

Ah yes. I get you now. I also agree. Maybe Sandman got scared out of the LHW division by Silva. :)

most fighters lose alot of weight during there training camps though. Griffin said he starts around 230+ then by end of training camp he's down to 215-220, then does a hard cut the week before the fight to get to 205

i would agree with your position if the "maynard/edgar" type of fights were more common, but they're not. most fighters do a hard cut of 10+ in the week leading up to the fight.

i only get concerned when i hear fighters cutting 17-20+lbs the days before a fight (anthony johnson & thiago alves for example)

Just would suck if someone's taking a few days off, put on 4 pounds, got the random weigh-in, and failed. What then?

Then have a 5 pound allowance. Or 7. Whatever they deem is reasonable water weight. I don;t think it would be hard at all to enforce. If a fighter is too close, guess what? He should be fighting a division higher.

It is already happening. Imagine if Alves fought Marcus Davis. Look at Anthony Johnson's opponents compared to him. These guys that can cut a tremendous amount of weight are gaining an advantage I don;t feel they should have. It isn't as much a skill as it is one body being different than another. All I'm saying is it would be great if people just fought guys their own size, and I think it is easier to do than most.

I know it is a pipe dream though.

I've got all the underdogs tonight.

Irvin. I see an early KO.

Buentello. Buentello is at least as good a boxer as Mir if not better. Mir out-boxed Kongo. He gets the upset. My only fear is that Kongo was out-boxed by Mir because he was so worried about the takedown. Buentelo KOs Kongo.

Vera. I don't see Jones finishing him. He will grind out a decision.

Gonzaga. LDS has great hands, but that is it. Gonzaga will knock him down a peg by getting a sub in the 2nd.

I've got all the underdogs tonight.

Irvin. I see an early KO.

Buentello. Buentello is at least as good a boxer as Mir if not better. Mir out-boxed Kongo. He gets the upset. My only fear is that Kongo was out-boxed by Mir because he was so worried about the takedown. Buentelo KOs Kongo.

Vera. I don't see Jones finishing him. He will grind out a decision.

Gonzaga. LDS has great hands, but that is it. Gonzaga will knock him down a peg by getting a sub in the 2nd.

Irvin is an underdog to Sakara? Wow.