Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18133/champ-alistair-overeem-confirms-may-15-strikeforce-fight-with-brett-rogers.mma

Alistair Overeem (32-11 MMA, 2-0 SF) wants American fans to get ready. There are no more obstacles in the way of his American MMA career; Strikeforce is the priority for 2010.

In an exclusive interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today, the Strikeforce heavyweight champion said he is likely to meet Brett Rogers (10-1 MMA, 2-1 SF) in a non-title fight on an as-yet-unannounced card set for May 15 in St. Louis, Mo.

Although Strikeforce has not placed an event permit request to the Missouri State Athletic Commission, all signs point to a second trip to the 22,000-seat Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

The promotion made its first visit there this past June for "Strikeforce: Shields vs. Lawler."

i hate non-title fights when a champion is involved

&

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10867&zoneid=13

Gilbert Melendez will get his wish and face Shinya Aoki on CBS.

The Strikeforce lightweight champion will return to action in April to face the Dream lightweight champion in a marquee fight on the promotion’s return to network TV.

The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Monday by sources close to the fight. Finalization of the fight was first reported by Josh Gross of SI.com.

After winning back the Strikeforce lightweight title in December, Melendez spoke with MMAWeekly Radio about his desire to face Aoki in the near future, so much so that he began dreaming about it.

"All of a sudden this year, I avenged both my losses. I cleaned my slate. I beat Rodrigo Damm, a tough guy, I'm the champ again, and now they're talking about me fighting the No. 2 guy in the world," Melendez stated. "One win away from being top five in the world again.

"The night I got home after fighting Josh, I promise, I had a dream of Aoki that same night."

Since losing to Thomson in 2008, Melendez has been on a tear, defeating Rodrigo Damm, Mitsuhiro Ishida, and then a rematch with Thomson to regain the 155-pound title. Now ready to solidify his place among the best lightweights in the world, he faces the fighter currently seated at No. 2, according to the MMAWeekly.com World MMA Rankings.

Shinya Aoki has proven to be one of the most dangerous ground fighters to ever step foot in an MMA fight. The Japanese fighter has defeated some of the best lightweights in the world including Eddie Alvarez, Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro, and Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante.

The submission machine is just coming off of a win over Mizuto Hirota in Japan, in which Aoki finished the fight with an armbar that looked to almost twist his opponent's limb off his body, causing a grotesque break, before flashing an obscene gesture in celebration.

The bout between Melendez and Aoki is the third major fight Strikeforce has signed recently. Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson was confirmed last week, and just today Gegard Mousasi was slotted to face Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal as well.

Aoki/Melendez makes 3 title fights on CBS's april card. Melendez matches up well with Aoki, he should have the wrestling ability to keep this fight standing. Aoki without the magical rainbow tights might not be the same fighter :silly:

Edited by StillUnknown

who's chin is more fragile, Arlovski or Jardine?

Throw em in there together and we'll see. :pfft:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18133/champ-alistair-overeem-confirms-may-15-strikeforce-fight-with-brett-rogers.mma

i hate non-title fights when a champion is involved

&

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10867&zoneid=13

Aoki/Melendez makes 3 title fights on CBS's april card. Melendez matches up well with Aoki, he should have the wrestling ability to keep this fight standing. Aoki without the magical rainbow tights might not be the same fighter :silly:

I'll believe Overeem when he gets over here and passes an American drug test. Also, what's going to happen if Rogers beats Overeem and Fedor beats Werdum? Are they going to do Fedor vs. Rogers II?

Aoki vs. Melendez will be an awesome fight. I wish both of them were in the UFC to mix up that 155 division a little bit.

What a dumbass.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18136/ufc-vet-marcus-davis-and-manager-address-inflammatory-aids-comments.mma

UFC vet Marcus Davis and manager address inflammatory AIDS comments

by Steven Marrocco on Mar 02, 2010 at 9:15 am ET

The words didn't exactly come out of nowhere, but UFC welterweight Marcus Davis' recent statement about Dan Hardy did little to snuff the flames of a recent controversy over trash talk.

In a Monday post on his official Twitter account, Davis responded to a message mentioning his previous opponent Dan Hardy by writing, "I hope Dan Hardy dies of AIDS."

The comment comes mere days after Frank Mir made a public apology for comments he made two weeks earlier during a radio interview in which he said he wanted to kill rival Brock Lesnar in competition and have the heavyweight champion "be the first death due to octagon-related injuries."

The Hardy comment was deleted several hours later.

Davis' manager Joe Cavallaro was at a loss when MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) informed him of the comment, and he initially doubted its validity. If true, he said, it was likely a joke taken over the line.

"I've known Marcus a long time, and I've never heard him say anything like that," Cavallaro said. "Marcus has four kids. That's not something he would go around saying. I know he wants to fight Dan, but I don't think he'd say anything like that."

Hardy defeated Davis, a fan favorite with a big international following, in a hotly contested split decision this past June at UFC 99. From the fight's inception, the two waged a long war of words in the press and online. Davis freely expressed his hate for Hardy – while Hardy jabbed at Davis' reputation as a hometown hero in overseas UFC events. Several Photoshop-inspired pictures that painted Davis in an unflattering light, many of which had homosexual overtones, surfaced during the pre-fight build-up.

Hardy later said his trash talk is a part of his pre-fight strategy and said he bores no ill will for Davis.

Davis waged a short campaign for an immediate rematch following the loss but eventually moved on. He suffered the first knockout loss of his professional career at the hands of Ben Saunders this past November at UFC 106.

Davis is currently in Waterford, Ireland, where several of his relatives live. In a subsequent Twitter post, he explained to his 10,000-plus followers his reason behind the remark.

"Dark [and] bad taste," Davis wrote. "Thought it was fitting [after] he did the gay photos towards me which is worse [in my opinion]. This was words; those [pictures] are up for life."

Mir, meanwhile, has put a halt to all interviews as he prepares for an upcoming meeting with Shane Carwin for the interim UFC heavyweight title at UFC 111.He issued an apology through UFC.com but received no punishment from company officials.

Hardy is slated to face welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre on the March 27 event in Newark, N.J.

Davis, meanwhile, meets Jonathan Goulet at UFC 113 on May 8 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content7064.html

"I felt like I ran into a long lost brother man (laughing). I haven’t seen him in so long, we just picked up right where we left off. We got some unresolved issues and it was very evident when I seen him in Australia. He wasn’t at a loss for words and I definitely wasn’t either. He had a lot to get off of his chest and I did as well, so we just let each other know about it for a minute."

"He’s doing a Forrest camp, so that’s how fat he is. Rampage gotta get in shape just to get in shape. He’s in rough shape right now. He’s been sitting on the set for a while, in the trailer, waiting to do scenes and getting served food and everything else."

"I think Rampage is ready to throw a curveball. I think it's time for him to implement something else into his gameplan. He's had some time off, so I know he's going to want to come out and be impressive. I think he's going to do something differently and try to throw me off. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a little bit of the Rampage of old and he tries to go for one of his big slams."

I think Rashad has Rampage's number. The mental battle was already won and I truly question Jackson's desire at this point.

dude looked rather rotund in Bisping's corner against Wandy. last time i saw him that big was when he was coaching against Forrest TUF, and we all know how that fight turned out

i think if Rampage is focused, he beats rashad relatively easy, but i think Rampage has one foot out the door already

Edited by StillUnknown

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18156/41-year-old-boxing-champ-james-toney-signs-multi-fight-agreement-with-ufc.mma

Sometimes trash talkers get what they want.

After berating UFC president Dana White on several media outlets in recent months, 41-year-old boxing champion James Toney (72-6 Boxing, 0-0 MMA) has reportedly signed a multi-fight agreement with the Las Vegas-based promotion.

The report was issued Tuesday by FiveOuncesOfPain.com citing sources close to negotiations, and MMAFighting.com's Mike Chiappetta has since confirmed the deal after speaking to White.

Toney, the current NABO and IBA heavyweight champion, pitched himself to White before cameras following UFC 108 in January and afterward blasted the UFC president for what he considered a "laughable" offer to fight in the octagon.

Ever since, Toney has taken every opportunity to challenge White for a contract.

"Dana White is a straight up ho!" Toney told Fighthype.com this past week. "He makes me a five-fight offer for chump change and said I can't box anymore if I accept it. He must have lost his damn mind."

It appears talks have brightened considerably since then.

At least one UFC fighter will welcome Toney into the cage.

"I think a lot of people would pay to see that," UFC heavyweight contender and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner Roy Nelson recently told Steve Cofield of Yahoo! Sports.

A timetable for Toney's debut is unknown at the time of this writing. Requests to the UFC for comment by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) were not immediately answered.

The 41-year-old Toney's most recent fight was this past September when he defeated Matthew Greer by TKO in a boxing match. Prior to that, he defeated Fres Oquendo for the vacant NABO and IBA heavyweight belts.

not really sure how i feel about this one

You mean Cro Cop? :D

I think that would be the perfect first fight. After that give him a wrestler.

I heard he is under 220. Will he cut to 205? He can stand to eat a salad as it is. Either way Crop Cop is a small heavyweight, so I think that would be great. At 205 give him Chuck, then Randy. Either of those guys could catchweight him as well.

I think that would be the perfect first fight. After that give him a wrestler.

I heard he is under 220. Will he cut to 205? He can stand to eat a salad as it is. Either way Crop Cop is a small heavyweight, so I think that would be great. At 205 give him Chuck, then Randy. Either of those guys could catchweight him as well.

he hasn't been close to 205 for the last 4 years or so

somehow i doubt him taking this seriously enough to actually drop to 205

edit: after reading some more on it, apparently he will be fighting at LHW

still not a fan of the move, if he loses, the fighter who beats him wont get much credit, and if he wins it looks bad for the quality of fighters in the sport

Edited by StillUnknown

he hasn't been close to 205 for the last 4 years or so

somehow i doubt him taking this seriously enough to actually drop to 205

edit: after reading some more on it, apparently he will be fighting at LHW

still not a fan of the move, if he loses, the fighter who beats him wont get much credit, and if he wins it looks bad for the quality of fighters in the sport

I understand the sentiment, but at the same time, it is what it is and it's time we figured out what it is. Know what I mean?:silly:

If Toney runs through some people boxing will look great. If he gets his ass kicked it looks good for MMA. I'm sure there will be excuses on both sides, and I'm sure there will be more cross overs in the future. I think Din Thomas vs. Mayorga is very interesting and can't wait to see that one.

I'm a little biased though. Toney was always one of my favorite fighters. He's like the black overweight Nick Diaz.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/3/1335163/shinya-aoki-says

I would like to stab him (Melendez) . For US, maybe I as ex-police officer should say I shoot him. This is not half-hearted determination.

I am fully aware the difference in rules. Hey I am monster MMA geek. I watch every fights. Cage/Ring does not matter to system of my skills

I would take off my long spats. Come to America and enjoy my naked legs.

CBS broadcast does not matter to me. Actually I do not want to become famous, because people somehow bash me for whatever I do.

Don't know what he really trying to say by "stab", but this is exact the same phrase he used before the Hirota bout at Dynamite!. If you recall what happened to Hirota, it is pretty scary statement, particulary in this inter-promotion setting.

Just in case you haven't heard about this, Sasahara announced in this conference that Nick Diaz will be fighting for DREAM in May.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18179/strikeforce-april-17-date-has-some-fluidity-though-future-date-conflicts-with-ufc-unavoidable.mma

New fans of MMA are tasked with learning a daunting list of jargon when first approaching the sport, but in recent years, a new term has made its way to the fighting lexicon: counter-programming.

With the UFC now reportedly set to go head-to-head with "Strikeforce: Nashville" on April 17 according to report from The Wrestling Observer, Strikeforce executives may be looking at a little retaliation of their own.

The recently announced "Strikeforce: Nashville" show may end up going head-to-head with the UFC's sister promotion, the WEC, on that company's first-ever pay-per-view event, "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber," on April 24.

SI.com's Josh Gross recently posted a report on his Twitter account that Strikeforce "had the option" of changing dates, and Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed an adjustment is a possibility

"CBS had an opportunity to do the fight on [April 24] and go after the WEC pay-per-view date, and they said, 'No, let's just do it on the [April 17] and be nice guys,'" Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Now that the counter-programming is coming their way, I think there is some fluidity in what could happen."

The UFC hasn't officially announced that it is adding an April 17 card to its already loaded Spring schedule, but Coker said Strikeforce and its broadcast partner, CBS, are currently considering a date change.

"It hasn't been decided yet," Coler said. "I think we're meeting probably Monday, but for now, everything is going to be locked and loaded for the 17th."

With Strikeforce's card – which features a trio of championship bouts in Jake Shields vs. Dan Henderson, Gegard Mousasi vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and Gilbert Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki – airing on CBS, the "free TV" aspect of the show will undoubtedly draw solid ratings figures. But a rival UFC show on basic cable channel Spike TV would just as certainly affect Strikeforce's numbers.

Of course, with even some hardcore fans protesting the $44.99 price tag of WEC 48, perhaps a switch to April 24 would allow Strikeforce to claim victory in a one-night viewership battle.

Coker refused to discuss the minutia of the situation and instead said he believes the quality of his next show means it will be successful whenever it ultimately airs.

"I think it is what it is," Coker said. "And I can tell you this: Dan Henderson fighting Jake, Gilbert fighting Aoki, and 'King Mo' fighting Gegard, I think it's a strong enough card to sell on its own.

"The San Francisco 49ers can play on a Sunday, and the Oakland Raiders can play on the same Sunday, and they both sell out, right? To me, we have a strong card, and I feel very good about it."

And besides, Coker believes these types of counter-programming and ratings-war concerns are inevitable as the number of Strikeforce, UFC and WEC events continue to proliferate.

"There are so many fights out there," Coker said. "We're going to do 20 fights this year, and they're going to do a bunch of fights. It's inevitable that there will be a conflict at some point."

UFC might want to back down in this instance. that WEC card is going to have hard enough time getting buys without the competition of a nationally televised free card on CBS

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18179/strikeforce-april-17-date-has-some-fluidity-though-future-date-conflicts-with-ufc-unavoidable.mma

UFC might want to back down in this instance. that WEC card is going to have hard enough time getting buys without the competition of a nationally televised free card on CBS

I was just about to post this. Yep, the UFC probably doesn't want to mess with jeopardizing even more people not ordering the WEC card. I almost want to see Strikeforce stick it to them.

Date: Mar 06, 2010

Venue: Nationwide Arena

Broadcast: Versus

MAIN CARD

• Champ Brian Bowles vs. Dominick Cruz (for bantamweight title)
  • Joseph Benavidez vs. Miguel Torres
  • Jens Pulver vs. Javier Vazquez
  • L.C. Davis vs. Deividas Taurosevicius
  • Karen Darabedyan vs. Bart Palaszewski

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Chad George vs. Scott Jorgensen
  • Erik Koch vs. Chad Mendes
  • Danny Castillo vs. Anthony Pettis
  • Leonard Garcia vs. George Roop
  • Bendy Casimir vs. Ricardo Lamas
  • Courtney Buck vs. Fredson Paixao

all fighters made weight for this card. i completely forgot this card was tonight at 10pm(est)

WEC 47 picks:

I'm gonna take Miguel and Bowles tonight. Jens will probably lose and get really upset again, poor dude, you can tell he loves the sport so friggen much. Love his commentating.

Benavidez is a funny guy to watch fight. His posture and style is like a little boy that had 7 Hi-C's for lunch go ape**** on a poor kid at recess. When he jumps in to someone's guard it looks like he's doing a belly flop off the little dive.

Weird, entertaining style for sure. I always thought Miguel was a little overrated. I think his record is partly gorgeous due to him being one of the first ridiculously serious MMA fighters in his weight class. Once that division starts to get more well-rounded badasses I think Torres will start to see more losses. In the mean time, I think Benavidez is out matched standing up and on the ground here. Reach will be key. Miguel will beat him up and finish with a RNC round 3.

I agree with Franklin McNeil here as far as Bowles/Cruz. It comes down to the fact that Bowles tries to smash your face in, Cruz, well...cruises. Bowles via TKO round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll