Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Henderson strategy was pretty fantastic. He went in knowing that Nate's boxing is about punches in bunches, and doesn't have any power in single shots, so he was willing to risk eating jab in exchange for loading up on leg kicks.

The Diaz bro's are so lanky & lean that it seems like no matter who they are in the octagon/ring with they are at a severe strength disadvantage. Nate was getting manhandled in the clinch. His BJJ was legit though, it was still nice to see someone who can get taken down and actually work off his back and go for submissions, rather then stall, hold and try to get the fight stood back up.

We are talking about the same fight right? Highlight was a nasty Henderson up kick from his back?

I guess you must have missed the whole punch to the face deal that nearly knocked Henderson out? Considering the judge who had it in favor of Edgar was 49-46 and many agreed with him, I clearly think you missed something...

I'm so disappointed. Nate didn't look good. Ben just completwly neutralized him. I hope a GSP vs Nick doesn't end up the same way. Good stuff to Ben.

Well now GSP has 2 blueprints to follow for beating a Diaz brother, Condit's stick & move ( or move, move & stick) vs Nick or Benson's lead leg kick vs Nate. Given that GSP is just as smart of a fighter as Henderson - if not smarter- I think GSP has an easy win over Nick, if that fight ever happens. I like Diaz more than GSP, but I just don't see the Cesar camp being smart enough to figure out an effective gameplan vs GSP, or any other well trained fighter. If a Diaz brother can stand and box, Diaz will win, but they both really don't have any effective offense other than their boxing and if someone neutralizes that, either Diaz has not shown they can adapt their strategy to pull out a win. Tough guys to fight, but a pretty simple gameplan to follow, don't let them throw combos.

Diaz brothers are entirely overrated. They have no chance against top talent. GSP would demolish Nick the same way.

I wouldn't say they are overrated, they are rated just about where they belong, as a couple of entertaining fighters that have great BJJ, great boxing, but are susceptible to wrestlers.

It just sucks for them that wrestling is what they are susceptible to, because wrestling is now the base where most up and coming talent are coming from.

It's not like they aren't earning their title shots. Well Nick, maybe not...but GSP is the one calling him out now, however Nate definitely deserved his title shot.

I wouldn't say they are overrated, they are rated just about where they belong, as a couple of entertaining fighters that have great BJJ, great boxing, but are susceptible to wrestlers.

It just sucks for them that wrestling is what they are susceptible to, because wrestling is now the base where most up and coming talent are coming from.

It's not like they aren't earning their title shots. Well Nick, maybe not...but GSP is the one calling him out now, however Nate definitely deserved his title shot.

It takes good wrestling and strong BJJ to beat them. Nate probably would've have subbed a few wrestlers if they got him into similar positions as Bendo. Bendo has a pretty good knowledge of bjj though, he still competes in tourney's out in arizona.

This fight could end being a blueprint for GSP when he fights Nick.

Edited by StillUnknown

I guess you must have missed the whole punch to the face deal that nearly knocked Henderson out? Considering the judge who had it in favor of Edgar was 49-46 and many agreed with him, I clearly think you missed something...

Nope, we're talking about different fights. I thought the one I watched the other day was the second of the two but I was mistaken. Haven't seen their second fight, so I will withhold commentary.

Well now GSP has 2 blueprints to follow for beating a Diaz brother, Condit's stick & move ( or move, move & stick) vs Nick or Benson's lead leg kick vs Nate. Given that GSP is just as smart of a fighter as Henderson - if not smarter- I think GSP has an easy win over Nick, if that fight ever happens. I like Diaz more than GSP, but I just don't see the Cesar camp being smart enough to figure out an effective gameplan vs GSP, or any other well trained fighter. If a Diaz brother can stand and box, Diaz will win, but they both really don't have any effective offense other than their boxing and if someone neutralizes that, either Diaz has not shown they can adapt their strategy to pull out a win. Tough guys to fight, but a pretty simple gameplan to follow, don't let them throw combos.

Another problem is the Diaz bro's have the BJ Penn "we just train with our own people" syndrome. So basically they keep getting better at what they were good at in the first place, but fail to get better or train for what they are weak at. You saw tonight, Nate really didn't try to stop takedowns, he just figured "fine, take me down and lets see what happens on the ground"

Nick has eluded in the past that bringing in top talent to train with is beyond their means. He says it isn't as simple as "I got title fight, so now everyone wants to come help" He was actually making kind of a valid point, but in one of the most incoherent ways, per usual for a Diaz. Haha

I'm looking forward to Melendez finally hitting the UFC at 155. He might be the best all-around fighter in the Caesar Gracie camp. It might not seem like it on first look because he isn't as flashy or outspoken or confrontational as either Diaz brother, but he can actually grapple and handle himself against wrestlers, and his striking is underrated because it doesn't look technical when comparing to the Diaz bros, however, overall I think Melendez might be their best product currently.

Apparently he trains that way.

Personally, I think he made a bet with someone.

I remember Florian mentioning that he rolled with Benson and he kept the toothpick in his mouth then as well. I always thought he was joking.

Surprisingly, the WA state commission has no rule stating that you cannot fight with a toothpick in your mouth.

Another problem is the Diaz bro's have the BJ Penn "we just train with our own people" syndrome. So basically they keep getting better at what they were good at in the first place, but fail to get better or train for what they are weak at. You saw tonight, Nate really didn't try to stop takedowns, he just figured "fine, take me down and lets see what happens on the ground"

I really don't have much to add here, but this is a really good point Mike.

Colton Smith might have won the ultimate fighter but he didnt make any friends entirely ignoring the Harley Davidson rep (maybe CEO, I don't know) that was presenting him with his keys. He turned his back on the dude and started talking to other people. :ols:

Edited by Destino

Colton Smith might have won the ultimate fighter but he didnt make any friends entirely ignoring the Harley Davidson rep (maybe CEO, I don't know) that was presenting him with his keys. He turned his back on the dude and started talking to other people. :ols:

Kinda ironic the UFC gives motorcycles as a prize when their fighters are contractually forbidden to ride them.

Kinda ironic the UFC gives motorcycles as a prize when their fighters are contractually forbidden to ride them.

That is pretty odd. Even so, you don't ignore someone giving you valuable prizes, especially when their logo is on the floor of the octagon. That was funny.