Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Not a huge surprise but at least it's confirmed now:

http://www.5thround.com/95637/dana-white-anderson-silva-will-fight-chael-sonnen/

Dana White: Anderson Silva Will Fight Chael Sonnen

Although Mark Munoz submitted his resume for a shot at Anderson Silva’s (Pictured) middleweight title, UFC president Dana White has decided to give fans the brawl they have been clamoring for. When Silva’s injured shoulder allows him to continue training, his next opponent will be bitter rival Chael Sonnen.

“Yeah, it’s the fight that everybody wants to see,” White said on The Jim Rome Show. “People want to see Chael versus Anderson. Anderson is in this position where he feels like this guy’s so disrespectful he doesn’t want to give him a shot and everything else, but Anderson will end up fighting Chael Sonnen.

“The answer is ‘Yes.’”

Two great LW bouts being put together:

http://mmaweekly.com/joe-lauzon-vs-anthony-pettis-verbally-agreed-for-ufc-super-bowl-card

Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis Verbally Agreed for UFC Super Bowl Card

It looks like Joe Lauzon is getting his wish.

All signs are pointing towards a Super Bowl weekend fight at UFC 143 between Lauzon and former WEC champion Anthony Pettis

And

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25994/edson-barboza-vs-terry-etim-added-to-ufc-142-in-brazil.mma

Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim added to UFC 142 in Brazil

UFC president Dana White revealed this past weekend that Terry Etim (15-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) would make a quick return to the octagon.

Today, UFC executives announced it will be against Edson Barboza (9-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC).

The two lightweight scrappers meet in Brazil at UFC 142, which takes place Jan. 14 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena.

Etim fought at this past weekend's UFC 138 event in Birmingham, England, where the Liverpool native downed Edward Faaloloto in just 17 seconds. After rocking Faaloloto on the feet, Etim latched on to a guillotine choke and earned the evening's "Submission of the Night" award.

The $70,000 bonus was likely much appreciated by Etim, who was fighting for the first time in nearly 19 months.

Meanwhile, Barboza fights for the first time since a win over Ross Pearson at UFC 134, which also took place in Rio de Janeiro. A two-time "Fight of the Night" winner, Barboza is undefeated since turning pro in April 2009.

The positioning of the Barboza vs. Etim matchup on the UFC 142 card was not revealed.

Also:

@danawhite:

Should we bring back @BrittneyPalmer ? Vote now and let me know!!!!

@danawhite:

Done!!!! The votes have been counted and @BrittneyPalmer is back!

50737910-a7874b5d91f2ebb3ebb004adc7255fbd.4b303e2e-scaled.jpg

brittney-2.jpg

brittney_palmer-7.jpg

5353.awww+yeah.jpg

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26042/ufc-on-foxs-guida-vs-henderson-winner-expected-to-face-champ-edgar-in-japan.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Maybe fighting on Facebook isn't the worst thing in the world.

While many MMA fans and pundits have expressed their frustration that a key UFC on FOX lightweight matchup between Clay Guida (29-11 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Ben Henderson (14-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has been relegated to the evening's Facebook-streamed undercard, it appears UFC brass is still dangling a rather large carrot in front of the winner.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from multiple sources close to the promotion that the winner of the Guida vs. Henderson matchup is expected to receive an immediate title shot against current lightweight champ Frankie Edgar (14-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC).

Guida and Henderson meet in the co-feature of Saturday night's UFC on FOX 1 event, which sees heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez defend his belt against Junior Dos Santos in Anaheim, Calif. The main event airs on FOX.

While an exact date for the fight with Edgar would certainly depend on the condition of the Guida vs. Henderson winner, multiple sources suggested the UFC's planned February event in Japan is the preferred destination. The organization, which hasn't promoted a show in the country since UFC 29 in late 2000, heads to Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Feb. 26, 2012.

It would be great to get guys like Hendo, Wandy, Shogun, Rampage and Gomi on that Japan card. I am sure we will see a few of those guys, but Wandy has to win next week first. Maybe sign Bob Sapp for a one-fight deal...

ceCRgf5tf0g

Then again maybe not Sapp.

I'm almost certain Rampage will be on the Japan card. In one of the video blogs after his fight with Bones, he said he wanted to fight Shogun in Japan. Dana said that probably won't happen, but they'll find him someone else to fight in Japan. You have to imagine the only reason Gomi hasn't been cut yet is so they can use him for the card.

Well on paper we have an underwhelming undercard tonight. Here are my two picks for...

UFC on FOX: We sure hope this one covers the time slot.

Anthony Pettis vs. Clay "The Carpenter" Guida: I think Pettis will look good early because Clay will come out moving forward, making himself a target for strikes and kicks. At some point Guida will decide he's getting outclassed on his feet and if he's still fresh, he'll get the takedowns and make this fight less exciting. Both guys have pretty good chins so I don't see a (T)KO happening. Maybe a choke but someone will have to gas for that and I bet that won't be Clay.

The Carpenter by split decision.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez for the UFC Heavyweight Championship: Wow. I have no idea whatsoever who will win this fight tonight. I'll pick a guy at the end of this analysis but I'm certainly not confident about my choice. My knee-jerk reaction is to hedge. Junior early or Cain late. That's the obvious call. In the end I just feel like Velasquez has more to offer throughout a fight and I feel like I've seen him weather some storms before (Lesnar in the opening moments of their fight and Kongo throughout their battle before that) whereas I can't remember seeing Junior in any real trouble. Therefore I just feel like Cain has shown me more in the face of adversity than Junior. This of course means nothing If Dos Santos makes the most of his speed (and Cain's cage rust) in the first 2 rounds in a stand-up war. Like I said before... who the "F" knows, right? :)

Cain Velasquez retains his title by surviving early and choking out a tired JDS in 4 rounds.

Edited by Chachie

Clay Guida vs. Benson Henderson: I think Ben is better in all areas maybe with the exception of cardio, which won't be a factor in a 3 round fight. Guida might be a tad faster in movement, but Ben should be the stronger of the two which should allow him to neutralize Guida's wrestling. If it stays standing, neither are exceptional, but I think Ben has more power in his strikes and has a more varied game. Not really a fan of Guida, so i'm hoping Henderson wins.

Henderson by Unanimous Decision

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos: When fights are relatively too close to call, I usually go with the fighter who can dictate where the fight takes place. Cain's wrestling should allow him to take JDS down if he's not finding the success he wants standing. JDS has shown a decent takedown defense, but has never faced a wrestler as credentialed or relentless as Cain. Even if it stays standing, I'm not sure if JDS has the advantage. JDS might have the best hands in the HW division, but thats basically all he uses. Cain has a more varied game and I could see his kicks doing some damage to JDS. I think the biggest factor in this fight will be Cain's recovery from shoulder surgery. He had a major operation on that shoulder so its hard to tell if he'll be the same monster he was beforehand. Bottom line, I think JDS has his moments in this fights, even stunning Cain once or twice, but Cain will use his wrestling to tire JDS out and will finish him somewhere in the 3rd round.

Velasquez by (T)KO, round 3

guida henderson- henderson by gogoplata late 2nd round.

cain jds- jds by gogoplata early 4th round.

I can't pick fights to save my life, so I'm having some fun. I'll pick who I think will win, and always it will be by gogoplata, even in a decision, or TKO, I'm still going to call for it via a gogoplata. Not that I think my pick will be able to pull it off, I just want to see one in the UFC.