Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Dana said in the post fight press conference Diaz gets GSP Superbowl weekend.

Said Condit agreed to step aside (i wonder how many zeros the accompanying check included?)

Wow, that is quite surprising. I'm thinking this means that Dana didn't want keep Nick waiting and lose the fight again.

Edited by Slacky McSlackAss

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: Mayweather's making $25 million. He's not stopping the double leg. I had to go to school to learn that.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: If I could make a tiny piece of what Mayweather makes, I could take care of all these compensation problems.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Cesar: Gracie Pro boxers in Andre Ward's camp won't box with us, we couldn't get them without compensation.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Cesar Gracie: Nick's frustration is not w/our tight circles, it's with training partners coming over from boxing.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: if I could have gotten any of the sparring I had in the past, I would have been more confident.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Dana interprets kevin Iole's question into Diazese so he understands.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: I've been injured in all my past fights, inclding this one. I've never pulled out.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: I go running around my neighborhood, out of bad neighborhood into good neighborhood. Big yards,fountains. WHERE is this tangent going?

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Dana: Bro, you have enough money to move out off bad Stockton neighborhood if you wanted.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: I never went to school for how to buy a house.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: MY SITUATION IS NOT FUNNY.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: I have more fights than everyone. Harder fights. WITH NOT HALF AS MUCH HELP

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: No joy in this for me. I had to fight someone who I might have been friends with. Might have trained with him.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: What is this hugging during a fight? NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THAT. At least not where I'm from.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Diaz: No one wants to see a wrestling match. No offense to wrestlers.

@usatmma

USA TODAY MMA

Dana just cuts off Nick finally and ends presser.

http://mmaweekly.com/carlos-condit-didnt-step-aside-gsp-chose-to-fight-nick-diaz-instead

It’s not everyday that a fighter earns a title shot and it’s even less often that a fighter agrees to step aside to let someone else take their place in a championship bout.

Well, don’t put Carlos Condit in that category just yet.

On Saturday night following Nick Diaz’s win over B.J. Penn, the UFC decided to give Diaz the next crack at champion Georges St-Pierre, most likely during the Super Bowl weekend show in 2012.

UFC officials stated that Carlos Condit agreed to step aside to allow Diaz and St-Pierre to square off after Diaz blasted GSP in the cage following his win.

Following the fight, MMAWeekly.com spoke to Condit’s manager Malki Kawa, who simply stated that ‘stepping aside’ isn’t what happened.

“We didn’t step aside. That’s not what we do,” Kawa wrote in a text message to MMAWeekly.com. “GSP doesn’t want to fight Carlos.”

According to UFC President Dana White, Condit will fight on the same Super Bowl weekend card as the title fight between GSP and Diaz, but against a different opponent.

If Condit is successful, he will still get the next crack at the UFC welterweight title.

Now both Nick and Carlos' management are implying that GSP is scared, homies. GSP has some challengers lined up for him again at welterweight, which should give time for other fighters to line up as title contenders as well. Guess this means goodbye to the fight with Anderson.

Somehow, to me at least, the card last night was pretty entertaining. So many decisions, but nicely contested for the most part.

First thing is first - Nick Diaz' boxing ran circles around BJ Penn's. The second round was one of the most amazing things I've seen in the UFC. It was like BJ didn't expect 80% of the punches Diaz threw. Bang, bing, pow, pop, whoops another punch, oops another one, oh there's another. Ding, dang, pop, boop, ting. Wow, just amazing, that's a round for the ages. BJ didn't get dropped and it was arguably a 10-8 round for Diaz.

On the other side of the ball, it was tough to see BJ get beat so badly in the realm of the game that a couple years back Freddie Roach said he had (the best of). Hate to see Mr. Penn go, he was ahead of his time and had to be the easiest student to ever teach in the history of schooling. His lack of cardio will forever be noted, but I respect the living hell out of how he didn't think twice about fighting guys bigger than him. He threw caution to the wind, something Anderson isn't completely interested in, and something GSP will not do.

It's always going to be difficult to ignore how pretty a fighter's record is, but the context lost in those numbers is a shame sometimes. BJ Penn would have fought anybody.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Now both Nick and Carlos' management are implying that GSP is scared, homies. GSP has some challengers lined up for him again at welterweight, which should give time for other fighters to line up as title contenders as well. Guess this means goodbye to the fight with Anderson.

Somehow, to me at least, the card last night was pretty entertaining. So many decisions, but nicely contested for the most part.

First thing is first - Nick Diaz' boxing ran circles around BJ Penn's. The second round was one of the most amazing things I've seen in the UFC. It was like BJ didn't expect 80% of the punches Diaz threw. Bang, bing, pow, pop, whoops another punch, oops another one, oh there's another. Ding, dang, pop, boop, ting. Wow, just amazing, that's a round for the ages. BJ didn't get dropped and it was arguably a 10-8 round for Diaz.

On the other side of the ball, it was tough to see BJ get beat so badly in the realm of the game that a couple years back Freddie Roach said he had (the best of). Hate to see Mr. Penn go, he was ahead of his time and had to be the easiest student to ever teach in the history of schooling. His lack of cardio will forever be noted, but I respect the living hell out of how he didn't think twice about fighting guys bigger than him. He threw caution to the wind, something Anderson isn't completely interested in, and something GSP will not do.

It's always going to be difficult to ignore how pretty a fighter's record is, but the context lost in those numbers is a shame sometimes. BJ Penn would have fought anybody.

I dunno BJ's boxing was fine until he started gasping for air he was very slow and plodding after that. Nick just forces a fast pace on you and for BJ that was a nightmare. Nick throws punches at a ridiculus rate but his boxing is'nt technical at all.

Edited by Samuels

Glad to see Diaz get the big win. Nick Diaz is sort of like a new version of BJ, but with cardio and better boxing, although maybe missing the one punch KO power. Regardless they are very similar fighters.

I hope Diaz is able to bring in good wrestlers to train with.

I would hate to see his "fight" with GSP turn into a 50-45 lay and pray fest won by GSP because of takedowns and "dominant positions"

I dunno BJ's boxing was fine until he started gasping for air he was very slow and plodding after that. Nick just forces a fast pace on you and for BJ that was a nightmare. Nick throws punches at a ridiculus rate but his boxing is'nt technical at all.

I think you're completely downplaying Diaz' boxing ability. He's not going in to boxing and rolling over big competition, but there are several moments of his that show savvy boxing ability. In fact, I'd argue that half the reason people slow down against Nick is because he lands GREAT body shots. Also has a great double/triple body shot - hook to the head combo that he lands every damn fight he's in.

You can throw punches all day, if they don't land effectively, you aren't tiring anyone out.

7.gif

I actually think half of Nick's success is thanks to technique, because his punches are slow and lack serious wallop. He's great at hitting people without them seeing it coming, and gets fighters off balance and completely covered up so much. I know it's easy to crap on his boxing because he doesn't have the greatest defense in the world, but let's be honest, for MMA the dude is pretty damn sly with his hands.

His cardio is phenomenal, that goes without saying, but I think his boxing is a little underrated. Dude wows with his knack for landing all sorts of punches from any distance. BJ Penn didn't gas simply because of the pace, in fact he took a few body shots and noticeably changed.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I was watching last night's main event from a very neutral POV. I also didn't think BJ stood much of a chance or winning from the time I saw them weigh-in together. Diaz's size, reach, and cardio were the easy blueprint. So having said all that I was so proud of BJ when he got up and put in a competitive 3rd round. He could have quit and let's face it- we've seen him do that before. He showed some real grit in the face of the man who will replace him as the "prodigy."

Nick looked supreme. We'll see how that all translates to a master game-planner like GSP but right now I feel like Diaz can TKO St. Pierre if he can stay off his back. Big "if" but I favor Nick over Georges as of this moment.

Assuming Dana is telling the truth in the post-fight, I have a new found respect for GSP. According to Dana (for those that didn't see it), GSP was PISSED after the fight, and insisted that Dana give him Nick in his next fight. I'm not a big GSP fan, though I'll be pulling for him. I still can't fathom how people can root for Nick, as he's a total "the world isn't fair, I get screwed, life treats me so badly" type. Can't stand those types, either in person or in sports. So, for the first time in recent memory, I'm pulling for GSP. Thanks for yet another annoying chapter to my life due to you Nick! :ols:

GSP is fighting Diaz because PPV's have not been selling well this year and they need the biggest fights they can get to get as many buys as they can get.

Dana just needs to stop promising **** to fighters then going back on his word.

I think there's some truth in both stories.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25880/donald-cerrone-vs-nate-diaz-targeted-for-ufc-141-in-las-vegas.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

A clash of hard-swinging lightweights is likely headed to the UFC's year-end show.

Multiple sources close to the event today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Donald Cerrone (17-3 MMA 4-0 UFC) and Nate Diaz (14-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 141.

UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Cerrone vs. Diaz is expected to be part of the event's main card, which airs live on pay-per-view. As MMAjunkie.com first reported, the event also gets a two-fight "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.

Cerrone is fresh off a sweeping victory over top prospect Dennis Siver at this past weekend's UFC 137 event. After rocking the German on two occasions with head kicks, "Cowboy" cinched a rear-naked choke that brought the tapout at the midway point of round one. The victory, which earned him a $75,000 "Submission of the Night" bonus, was his sixth straight, all of which have come in the past 13 months.

Diaz, meanwhile, emerged from a two-fight skid in his most recent performance and picked up significant momentum with a first-round submission victory over Takanori Gomi at UFC 135. It was his first fight as a lightweight since he squared off with Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 23, after which he served a 2-2 stint as a welterweight.

The latest UFC 141 card now includes:

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem

Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz

Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Sean Pierson

T.J. Grant vs. Jacob Volkmann

fallout_thumbs_up_ALL_teh_Pics-s379x395-222893.jpg

I was watching last night's main event from a very neutral POV. I also didn't think BJ stood much of a chance or winning from the time I saw them weigh-in together. Diaz's size, reach, and cardio were the easy blueprint. So having said all that I was so proud of BJ when he got up and put in a competitive 3rd round. He could have quit and let's face it- we've seen him do that before. He showed some real grit in the face of the man who will replace him as the "prodigy."

Nick looked supreme. We'll see how that all translates to a master game-planner like GSP but right now I feel like Diaz can TKO St. Pierre if he can stay off his back. Big "if" but I favor Nick over Georges as of this moment.

I honestly think GSP is going to take him down at will as long as he's 100 percent healthy. I'm not sure who I want to win though.

Assuming Dana is telling the truth in the post-fight, I have a new found respect for GSP. According to Dana (for those that didn't see it), GSP was PISSED after the fight, and insisted that Dana give him Nick in his next fight. I'm not a big GSP fan, though I'll be pulling for him. I still can't fathom how people can root for Nick, as he's a total "the world isn't fair, I get screwed, life treats me so badly" type. Can't stand those types, either in person or in sports. So, for the first time in recent memory, I'm pulling for GSP. Thanks for yet another annoying chapter to my life due to you Nick! :ols:

Although I never had a reason to lose respect for St. Pierre, I absolutely see what you mean. He definitely did the right thing by answering that outburst right away and with authority. Nick just found out that GSP isn't the type of guy you give motivation to. Oops. :)

I honestly think GSP is going to take him down at will as long as he's 100 percent healthy. I'm not sure who I want to win though.

I suspect (and am hoping, admittedly) that Diaz has become almost as good a game-planner as GSP. Also- GSP hasn't fought very many multi-dimensional fighters like Nick. I'm sure I'm still just starry-eyed from Nick's performance the other night though, and as we get closer to the title fight I'll be reminded of why GSP is a top 2 or 3 overall mixed martial artist. ;)