Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

**** I just saw the Diaz/Cerrone story...awesome, I think Cerrone (T)KOs Diaz.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 09:53 AM ----------

I suspect (and am hoping, admittedly) that Diaz has become almost as good a game-planner as GSP. Also- GSP hasn't fought very many multi-dimensional fighters like Nick. I'm sure I'm still just starry-eyed from Nick's performance the other night though, and as we get closer to the title fight I'll be reminded of why GSP is a top 2 or 3 overall mixed martial artist. ;)

It is an intriguing fight for me too, but despite GSP saying that he's going to give Diaz the worst beatdown he's ever had, I still think he really means he's going to take him down more times in a fight than he's ever been taken down :silly:

At work and my break is almost over so I will try to make this fast and maybe elaborate on this later.

Nick Diaz is not always the most well spoken of fighters in trying to get his points across, but there is a lot of truth in what he has to say about compensation to not only fighters but the trainers and training camps. If you can't financially afford to bring in top trainers from all over the country, then you won't be as well trained. Some people think these trainers are just showing up to certain camps in the name of the sport, but it isn't true, they are being compensated. So the fighters who can afford the grade A trainers, are usually best prepared and have the best game plans.

As far as GSP saying "Nick is the most disrespectful" etc etc....if I remember correctly, leading up to the initial Diaz/GSP fight, Diaz said little if anything negative towards GSP himself. It wasn't until he was thrown out of the fight and GSP was kind of laughing and yucking it up that Nick felt a little disrespected by GSP. Was Nick's reaction a little overboard? Sure.

Also, Nick called out GSP in post fight and sai d"he is scared" Wow, big deal...I mean really BIG FN Deal....is that really wet "set GSP off, he is pissed" Chael Sonnen has said more disrespectful things about GSP before including calling him "Grease SP" he forget about that?

This is all probably a good campaign job for a fight that was inevitable. Can't wait for it. I think GSP will win due to style matchup, but I am pulling hard for Diaz.

More later....

Nick got paid $200,000 for the Penn fight, that's Anderson Silva money. Plus he has his sponsors and he & BJ got FOTN too. MMA doesn't pay as much as boxing but it's also getting more profitable rapidly. I understand what he's saying but these guys aren't getting total chump change anymore.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/UFC-featherweight-champion-Jose-Aldo-to-fight-Chad-Mendes-103111?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fighting in his home country of Brazil, Jose Aldo will defend his UFC Featherweight Title Jan. 14 in UFC 142 against undefeated fighter Chad Mendes, FOXSports.com has learned.

The fight will pair Aldo’s electrifying style, one punctuated by ferocious flying knees and lighting-quick submissions, against a nuanced ground game Mendes honed as an NCAA Division I wrestler.

That’s the technical stuff. The other side of the fighters’ match, which will be at a venue UFC officials plan to announce in the next week or so, centers on each one’s mentor.

Aldo considers UFC Middleweight king Anderson Silva his "big brother." Mendes is friends with Chael Sonnen, Anderson’s hated rival. Silva and Sonnen are expected to fight in a rematch of their 2010 classic soon after Aldo v Mendes.

So consider Aldo vs. Mendes not just a title bout in its own right but a prelude to a grudge match spreading from one heated rivalry to another.

"Pound-for-pound superstar Jose Aldo will return home to fight in Brazil for the first time since 2007 when he defends his UFC featherweight title against unbeaten powerhouse Chad Mendes," UFC president Dana White told FOXSports.com. "Aldo hasn’t lost in over five years, but Mendes has yet to lose in MMA, and after clearing out all the contenders put in his way, he believes he has what it takes to beat the champion."

Aldo is 20-1 in his career. Mendes is 11-0.

Didn't take them long to go back to Brazil

Edited by StillUnknown

NIck Diaz is talking about GSP when his actions were the ones that got him pulled from fighting GSP in the first place? How about Nick Diaz stfu and remember to show up for press conferences next time. I mean for a guy that has so much to say, you'd think it wouldn't be a problem.

The only person that should be saying anything is Condit who got the ultimate screw job. Loses his fight with BJ Penn because Nick Diaz is an irresponsible prick. Misses out on a title fight due to injury (GSP isn't anywhere near the first champ to decline due to injury). Then loses his place in line for the title because the irresponsible prick loud talks his way back into it.

Edited by Destino

Odd move, Johnson just completely obliterated Charlie Brenneman. If I had to guess, Johnson is just too addicted to building muscle to stay at 170. Giving himself an extra 15 pounds of breathing room enables him to keep pumping iron and scarfing protein.

Stylistically it's an interesting fight. Two results that come to mind are Belfort punching him out or Johnson winning a decision after securing top position for the majority of the time. Johnson will enter the octagon with absolutely no experience against anyone close to Belfort when it comes to hand speed and power.

I actually like Rumble in that fight. I think he'll be a beast at 185.

Speaking of 185...

Anderson Silva Hints That Ed Soares’ Job Isn’t Safe

It seems Anderson Silva is a little more upset with Ed Soares than previously thought.

In an appearance on Brazilian TV show Tela Nitida, Silva spoke more freely about that strange picture of Ed Soares and Chael Sonnen that hit the internet last week, hinting that Soares’ long held position as his manager isn’t safe. Translated via Fighters Only.

“Unfortunately my manager is American, he speaks Portuguese but he is American. But I’m putting myself as a Brazilian… Whether you are in the UFC or not, when I’m outside my country i’m going to represent my country well and I think everyone has to position himself in the right way.”

“His position was not good, was not cool, as a manager he needed to have a more professional attitude. He was not professional and I don’t know why… I think it was not cool. But everyone knows what’s best, he is a grown man and he is going to deal with the backlash of what he did.”

“First thing is that nobody can talk for me except myself. Second is that I don’t have a contract with anybody, except with Nine9 and my sponsors, so anything can happen.”

If we’ve learned anything about Anderson Silva over the years, it’s that he’s extremely loyal to those he’s worked and trained with and expects the same in return. Just ask his former training partners Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort. Silva acted like it was a major act of betrayal when they expressed interest in fighting him. Silva barely had a reaction to any of the crazy things Chael Sonnen said in the six months prior to their first meeting, yet he stared down Belfort with a Halloween-esque serial killer mask at the weigh-ins when they eventually fought.

Point being, if Silva thinks someone close to him is working against his best interests, he takes it very personally and rarely lets it slide. Vitor’s “backlash” came in the form of a front kick to the face. Only time will tell what Soares’ will be.

Also, :ols: starting at 5:40:

Chuck Liddell and Quinton Jackson faced off for a third time last week in Las Vegas, but this time, they met in video game form. The fighters, who met at PRIDE Final Conflict 2003 and UFC 71, played 'UFC Undisputed 3'

Thought this was really funny did anyone see this? I really want to get this game if you can play pride rules and soccer kick guys on the ground.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/11/01/video-chuck-liddell-avenges-losses-to-quinton-jackson-in-pride/

Chuck Liddell and Quinton Jackson faced off for a third time last week in Las Vegas, but this time, they met in video game form. The fighters, who met at PRIDE Final Conflict 2003 and UFC 71, played 'UFC Undisputed 3'

Thought this was really funny did anyone see this? I really want to get this game if you can play pride rules and soccer kick guys on the ground.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/11/01/video-chuck-liddell-avenges-losses-to-quinton-jackson-in-pride/

See the sig

Cain/JDS will be the only fight shown on Fox, even if it ends in the first 30seconds.

All the other fights including Guida/Henderson will be on Facebook and Fox.com

UFC messed up having that fight restricted to internet streams.

Are you serious? Their epic on Fox fight night is ONE FIGHT?!

Are you serious? Their epic on Fox fight night is ONE FIGHT?!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25919/velasquez-vs-dos-santos-will-be-lone-fight-featured-on-ufc-on-fox-1-regardless-of-length.mma

If you want to see Clay Guida (29-11 MMA, 9-5 UFC) battle Ben Henderson (14-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) on Nov. 12, you better be next to a computer.

While many MMA fans have openly hoped for a quick ending in that night's Cain Velasquez (9-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) vs. Junior Dos Santos (13-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) main event in order for Guida vs. Henderson to also air on the UFC on FOX broadcast, UFC president Dana White today said that's not going to happen.

During a conference call to promote the event, which takes place in Anaheim, Calif., White said the featured bout will be the only fight on the broadcast, even if it "only goes 10 seconds."

The UFC and FOX deal doesn't technically begin until 2012, and the Nov. 12 event is simply a one-hour teaser show. The evening's 10-bout undercard streams free on Facebook and FOX.com.

White also revealed today that in addition to FOX in the U.S., the Velasquez vs. Dos Santos fight will also air live in 15 additional countries, including Canada and the U.K.

MAIN CARD (FOX)

Champ Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos (for heavyweight title)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook and FOX.com)

Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson

Pablo Garza vs. Dustin Poirier

Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Darren Uyenoyama

Ricardo Lamas vs. Cub Swanson

Clay Harvsion vs. DaMarques Johnson

Robert Peralta vs. Mackens Semerzier

Paul Bradley vs. Mike Pierce

Matt Lucas vs. Aaron Rosa

Alex Caceres vs. Cole Escovedo

The only thing I can think of is that they want to have a credible back up fight in case Cain/JDS get hurt close to fight time. Otherwise, there is no reason to have a fight as important as Guida/Henderson restricted to streams.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25919/velasquez-vs-dos-santos-will-be-lone-fight-featured-on-ufc-on-fox-1-regardless-of-length.mma

The only thing I can think of is that they want to have a credible back up fight in case Cain/JDS get hurt close to fight time. Otherwise, there is no reason to have a fight as important as Guida/Henderson restricted to streams.

that kind sucks, I was hoping for a quick KO by either Cain or JDS, and then a good scrap with Clay & Henderson. I bet they will catch some backlash for this, especially if Clay/Henderson turns out to be as good of a fight as most people are expecting.

I bet when they go full force with Fox they will promote the crap out of the next fight being a "full fight card". Sometimes 12 fights is too much, especially if you don't know some of the undercard fighters, but 1 fight is far too few, they need to show at least 4 fights on Fox if they want to be successful going forward IMO, you can't have good fights stuffed away on livestreams just as an insurance policy if one of the main event fighters gets injured or pulls out for some other reason.

All the other fights including Guida/Henderson will be on Facebook and Fox.com

Madness. Idiocy. If for no other reason than as a fan I don't want to be chained to a computer while watching the event... and I can think of other reasons anyway.

Edited by Chachie

Thiago Alves misses weight again:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/362112/UFC-138-weigh-ins-Thiago-Alves-misses-weight/

For the third time in his last seven fights, Thiago Alves has missed weight, coming at the UFC 138 weigh in at 172 pounds, one over the welterweight limit. Alves will be given one hour to lose the extra pound.

All the other fighters made weight.

Full results are below.

Main Card:

Chris Leben (186) vs. Mark Munoz (186)

Renan Barao (136) vs. Brad Pickett (134)

Thiago Alves (172) vs. Papy Abedi (170)

Terry Etim (156) vs. Edward Faaloloto (155)

Cyrille Diabate (206) vs. Anthony Perosh (205)

Prelin Card:

John Maguire (170) vs. Justin Edwards (170)

Michihiro Omigawa (145) vs. Jason Young (145)

Rob Broughton (258) vs. Philip De Fries (243)

Chris Cope (170) vs. Che Mills (169)

Chris Cariaso (135) vs. Vaughan Lee (135)