Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2011-10-26/viacom-buys-bellator-plans-2013-start-on-spike/558003/1

MTV Networks' Spike TV channel is getting out of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's business, but the broadcaster has increased its ties to mixed martial arts.

Viacom, parent of MTV Networks, bought a majority stake in Bellator Fighting Championships and will start airing the promotion's bouts on Spike in 2013, the companies told USA TODAY this week. They've had ongoing talks for about a year as they finished up various deals, and over the past month finally reached the point where they could announce the news, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said.

Selling to Viacom's entertainment conglomerate guarantees a stable future for Bellator, said Rebney, who will remain in charge of the MMA organization.

"It puts all of those cornerstones of ownership in place for us," he said. "Which is something that's been so seriously lacking in the MMA space with so many different companies, including Strikeforce and the IFL and Affliction and all the different failures that have occurred. … It alleviates those issues."

Another good one...Marcus Davis doing his best ET impression:

:rotflmao: ....he said ET......

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 01:21 PM ----------

backstage vlog

After watching that video, the thing that stands out the most to me is how self reflective these guys are even after losing a fight it's like they're talking about a bad day at the office.

UFC 137 Pros Pick: Penn vs. Diaz

Pros Picking Diaz: 13

Pros Picking Penn: 13

No Pick: 4

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/UFC-137-Pros-Pick-Penn-vs-Diaz-36674

Nam Phan: These two fighters are both so closely skilled. I don’t know who to pick.
Vitor Ribeiro: I think B.J. wins. Nick’s hands are good but not as fast as B.J.’s, and I think that B.J.’s punches have more power.
Gabe Ruediger: Diaz wins. This should be a really good and interesting fight. I think Diaz’s nonstop attack will make it too difficult for B.J. to get off.
Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1897575&forum=1&page=1&pc=1

So I'm listening to the Chad Dukes and Lavar Arrington radio show today, and GSP is supposed to call in.

GSP is late calling, and Dukes goes on this rant about how UFC fighters always do this, and he's done promoting the sport, and if you go into a bar, nobody knows who Jon Jones is, but they sure as hell know who the NY Giants are.

Anyway, the producer tells Dukes that GSP is calling in, and Dukes says "I'll answer it".

He picks up the phone and goes Georges? And GSP says "Hello", and Dukes says "you're ten minutes late, your services are no longer needed, goodbye" and hangs up on him.

Chad Dukes... got to love an entirely replaceable radio nobody hanging up on a UFC champ for being 10 minutes late. Why the hell he agreed to call into that radio show is a mystery. Lavar knows enough about MMA to think he can take Brock Lesnar. Chad knows enough about MMA to know it isn't a doughnut.

Edited by Destino

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1897575&forum=1&page=1&pc=1

Chad Dukes... got to love an entirely replaceable radio nobody hanging up on a UFC champ for being 10 minutes late. Why the hell he agreed to call into that radio show is a mystery. Lavar knows enough about MMA to think he can take Brock Lesnar. Chad knows enough about MMA to know it isn't a doughnut.

:gus:

What an asshat.

Seriously, you have to love Chad Dukes' undeserved sense of entitlement. How did he ever get from playing WoW in his mom's basement to hosting a sports talk show with an NFL never-was anyway? His propensity to be a pretentious **** is only going to separate UFC stars from local sports medias and fans even further. The MMA culture kind of prides itself on being accessible to the fans and you'd think that sports "journalists" would want to keep MMA as close to the fans as possible as the sport grows bigger.

Chad Dukes is a dick, and doing it to GSP of all people... if a host of a show has to interview someone, it's reasonable to assume that some research should be done on the person you are interviewing. Obviously, Dukes didn't really give a poop in the first place.

Also, this is interesting. Props to Dana.

Dana White: If there was a gay fighter in UFC, I wish he would come out

If you're gay and you fight in the UFC, Dana White doesn't care.

In fact, the promotion president was kind of hoping you would come out of the closet. Just don't expect to be Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's grappling partner if you do.

That's because "Minotauro" told UOL Esporte he won't train with gay fighters, because he doesn't want to get felt up by another man if they decide to take advantage of the situation.

Big Nog's sentiment came under fire from the Las Vegas chapter of the Culinary Union, who accused Zuffa of being an anti-gay organization.

White told reporters during yesterday's UFC 137 press conference (via USA Today) that not only is his fight promoton not anti-gay, but that he wants any gay fighters under his employ to make their presence known.

"The thing that Nogueira said down in Brazil, you know? And I'll tell you right now, if there was a gay fighter in UFC, I wish he would come out. I could care less if there's a gay fighter in the UFC. There probably is and there's probably more than one. I mean, it's 2012. Give me a break. But you're going to have guys like Nogueira who come from Brazil, who's got that macho, Latino -- doesn't want to roll with a gay guy. People are going to say stuff like this. But that's the best answer I can give you is, give me a (freaking) break and be honest. Come on. We're all human beings. We all make mistakes sometimes. It doesn't mean that the UFC is bad and we're unfit for children and all this other stuff. Tell you what: Out of the 375 guys, we've got a few lunatics; some guys that are nutty; and then we've got 300 and something that are incredible, awesome human beings who are inspirational to kids and adults and whoever else is a human being."

This is the UFC in 2012. And like White said, they have guys that are lunatics, nutty and awesome. And he's probably got some that are gay, too.

But is coming out of the closet really the best idea, considering the demographic mixed martial arts appeals to? And peer acceptance could be difficult, Nogueira's comments aside, because of the cliques that exist in training camps, the front office and beyond.

Anyone favor a don't ask, don't tell policy? Or is this one stone better left unturned?

Can of worms, you are officially opened.

I hope Dukes runs into this guy at an MMA fight....:ols:....Duke's would so pull a Bisping v Henderson....

Chad Dukes is a dick, and doing it to GSP of all people... if a host of a show has to interview someone, it's reasonable to assume that some research should be done on the person you are interviewing. Obviously, Dukes didn't really give a poop in the first place.

Also, this is interesting. Props to Dana.

Dana White: If there was a gay fighter in UFC, I wish he would come out

Definite props to Dana for that.

Diaz looks like a giant next to Penn. Man I can't tell if I want to see this fight or not. Generally these two guys have been my faves for a loooong time.

That's how I felt with Fedor vs. Hendo. I've been leaning towards picking Penn since the fight was announced. Nick's game is to walk in to the pocket while trading a lot of punches. I don't think that's a good thing against Penn, who has some very strong and technical striking. Penn's speed should also be a gigantic advantage against Diaz, who has a much slower, plodding style. I just don't see Diaz being able to absorb the punishment Penn will deliver if he plans on trying to land hundreds of strikes on him. I think Nick gets bloodied up and dropped in this fight, maybe even finished.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

That's how I felt with Fedor vs. Hendo. I've been leaning towards picking Penn since the fight was announced. Nick's game is to walk in to the pocket while trading a lot of punches. I don't think that's a good thing against Penn, who has some very strong and technical striking. Penn's speed should also be a gigantic advantage against Diaz, who has a much slower, plodding style. I just don't see Diaz being able to absorb the punishment Penn will deliver if he plans on trying to land hundreds of strikes on him. I think Nick gets bloodied up and dropped in this fight, maybe even finished.

x2 I think BJ finishes him. BJ is a great counter striker if your gonna try to walk him down and force the action while talking junk. I think that makes BJ even more dangerous and will bring out that killer instinct. It might be a glove getting licked tonight but i've been wrong before.

UFC 137: Are You Scared Yet Homie?

Scott Jorgensen vs. Jeff Curran: Curran is well rounded and been around forever. Jorgensen is the better fighter at this point and has looked good against everyone not named Dominick Cruz. His power and takedown ability should be enough to win this one.

Jorgensen by Unanimous Decision

Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson: I have no faith left in Cro Cop. Prove me wrong Mirko, please.

Nelson by (T)KO, Round 2

Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop: Japanese fighters haven't done all that well in the UFC, but Hioki should change things a bit. He's a wizard on the ground with more than credible striking skills. Roop's not that great a fighter, but has some decent power to end a fight if Hioki is nervous or doesn't adjust well to the cage. I see this fight hitting the ground and Hioki showing why he has one of the best ground games in mma.

Hioki by Submission, Round 2

Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione: I've switched my pick for this fight a couple of times already. Mitrione has improved his striking by leaps under Duke Roufus but he still has some sizeable holes in his game. Kongo is perfectly suited to exploit those holes. I think both fighters get hurt in this fight at some point, but I see Mitrione landing something that puts Kongo down for the night.

Mitrione by (T)KO, Round 2

BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz: Penn has trouble with fighters who are appreciably faster than him or who can out-muscle him close. I don't see Nick Diaz being able to do either. Penn could make this fight alot easier on himself if he comes out and takes Diaz down. He surprised everybody by taking down Fitch early, and it might be the smarter play for him in this bout as well. If it stays standing Diaz would be wise to attack Penn's body and eat away at his endurance early since its only a 3 round fight. Diaz has been dropped in his last couple of fights but has shown great recovery, if Penn drops him, I don't think he'll get the chance to recover. I think Penn wins this fight, but everytime I pick against Diaz, he wins.

Diaz by Unanimous Decision

Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson: I have no faith left in Cro Cop. Prove me wrong Mirko, please.

Nelson by (T)KO, Round 2

- I could not have said this better, SU.

Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione: I think Matt's athleticism will be too much for Kongo, who won't be able to set his feet and bang.

Mitrione by (T)KO, Round 1

BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz: This will be a hard fight for me to watch. I honestly hope it goes the distance but no matter what I cannot ignore the size, conditioning, and youth of Nick Diaz. BJ's on the back side of his career and I just don't know if he can win a decision. He's got to finish and with Nick's reckless style that can happen. It won't though. Good thing this fight is only a 3 rounder or I'd pick Diaz to submit Penn.

Diaz by Unanimous Decision

Wish I could watch this one. Sadly the wife informed me I am to be dressed up as a sheriff tonight... and we aren't staying in. :evilg:

...on the bright side I'll be on a party bus going from bar to bar so maybe one of them will have it on. :cool: