Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Despite Fedor losing, at least he showed he can get his stuff together to put on an entertaining fight. Even in this loss he didn't look nearly as disappointing as he did against Bigfoot. Maybe it was just the size difference, who knows.

Not that it's really relevant at this point, but I thought Fedor looked awesome against Bigfoot in the first and part of the second round. He was clearly up against a huge opponent that was having his best night ever. Fedor ripped off some electrifying combos with malicious intent after taking big shots from Silva. It wasn't until he started getting taken down that the punishment mounted and he wore out.

We may have seen an ultra-motivated Dan Henderson vs. Fedor that we haven't seen in a while. I remember even thinking that Dan hadn't brought his full potential into the cage since before his fight vs. Rampage in the UFC. Last saturday night was clearly different. Dan was just extra fast, sharp, and aggressive from the opening bell. he was jacked for this opportunity and really made it his moment. (As had Bigfoot.)

I'm not buying the back of the head thing. Henderson was looping those punches around and almost skipping them off the ground. He got under the back of Fedor's head and was hitting around the temple and ear. The second punch looked like it may have hit a little of Fedor's face and a little of the ground. It's a tricky camera angle. When someone has their opponents back, they have to throw looping hooks to avoid a foul, and it's what Hendo did. Even though Fedor's head was turned to the left, I believe Hendo got enough of an angle to miss what is considered the "back" of Fedor's head. It just seems too inconclusive to get all up in arms about.

I completely agree. When I watched the fight live, I thought that they looked like they were (or at least one) probably to the back of the head. I did not think it mattered, but still, it's illegal. But I ltereally watched the end of the fight about 10-15 times yesterday and I have come to the same conclusion you have. When seeing is from the side, or back, it definitely looks like he could be hitting him in the back of the head. But when they show the overhead view, to me, it looks like they are to the to the temple/ear area. He threw them so fast that it really is difficult to tell in real time, but in slow motion from the overhead view, they looked fine to me.

Edited by lovetoaster

Looked like an early stoppage to me too, sure he went limp for a second, but he recovered pretty damn quick. However, when he went to stand up, his legs were jello. That being said, Herb should have let the fight go after he stopped it and warned Dan about hitting in the back of the head.

Despite Fedor losing, at least he showed he can get his stuff together to put on an entertaining fight. Even in this loss he didn't look nearly as disappointing as he did against Bigfoot. Maybe it was just the size difference, who knows.

What's next for Fedor?

Indeed, I thought Fedor looked great. He just made a mistake in letting Hendo slip out the back door (but Dan obviously deserves a lot of credit for that as well). As Chachie points out, I think he looked pretty darn good in the early going against Bigfoot as well. The only fight that really disappointed me was the Werdum one; that was just foolish and stunning.

As for where he goes next, I hate to say this, but I don't think it will be in the U.S. I think we have probably seen the last of mainstream Fedor, because he is not going to get anywhere near the money that he got in his last contract and there is no way that Zuffa is going to let M1 co-promote like they have for his past Strikeforce fights. His management team is not going to be able to play hardball this time, although I am sure they will still try to. I would put the most likely destination for him as main eventing M1 shows in Russia and crushing cans until he decides to hang them up. Which is unfortunate because I think he still has a decent amount left in him.

D

Henderson could be back in the UFC. If Tito pulls off the upset, I'd love to see Ortiz vs. Hendo.

What's next for Fedor?

Fedor is sloppy. His time has passed, and he didn't adjust (fighters like Couture and Hendo did). He had a chance to end, but turned rabid when Hendo fell. Poor training. But mark my words. Rashad will beat Tito, and it's going to be one of the worst main events ever showcased in UFC history. Tito will gas halfway through round 2, and Evans won't be able to finish him. Decision win for Evans. I've never, in my life, rooted for Tito. I might in this fight. ****, I guess that someday I may root for Nick. :(

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fedor-8217-s-brother-lashes-out-at-coaches;_ylt=Ar9IDlwFwrHVHpBI7.Kk7hg9Eo14?urn=mma-wp5268

Fedor Emelianenko's skills may be eroding, but it's not helping that he seems to enter the cage without any sort of gameplan. It's not just fans and media noticing that Fedor simply employs a "go for broke" strategy, his brother Aleks (on the right) is fed up with some of the folks around the former heavyweight king.

"They sat like two amoebas, and did not know what to say. They were asked direct questions and would say, 'It is difficult to say… we will see in the fight,' - what kind of a coach says that? Only one who doesn't understand the sport," Aleksander Emelianeko told FightersOnly Magazine. "I just call them 'Stopwatch' and 'Towel'. That's as much use as they are, that's it."

Aleks thinks that Fedor has been in a stale training camp for years.

"[MMA] is constantly improving, but 'Stopwatch' and 'Towel' have not changed anything in the program - just frozen in time and not been able to develop the base that Fedor already has," Aleks said. " Fedor could train himself, he must take on it personally, to rethink many of the training points to learn and develop. Suffer and work! We'll talk with Fedor - whether he wants to change something in his preparation. If he wants to, I will make the effort."

Fedor lost his third straight fight on Saturday night against Dan Henderson. He lost to Fabricio Werdum by making an amateurish mistake and getting caught in a triangle choke. Against 6-foot-4, 285 pound Antonio Silva, Fedor failed stay at a distance and use his athletic advantage. He was taken down and couldn't get back to his feet. Henderson has freakish punching power and Fedor decided to stand and trade with him.

If Fedor is to return to the cage, his support staff has to get two things done. First, he needs to get down to the light heavyweight division and secondly, it's time to employ a game plan against all future opponents.

Good article and Fedor really does look like he's trying to Mike Tyson his opponents these days. He's done this in the past and it's worked (Zulu, Timmay, etc.) But at one time he seemed to have a gameplan for his opponents. When he fought Nog and Cro Cop in Pride he actually looked like a mixed martial artist with a Judo and Sambo background, these days he looks like some drunk at a bar throwing haymakers.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/3/2341532/ufc-strikeforce-mma-news-marloes-coenen-valentijn-overeem-jon-olav-einemo#comments

Strikeforce has released Valentijn Overeem and Marloes Coenen, while the UFC has released Jon Olav Einemo. The common ground between these three fighters? All are members of Golden Glory gym, and are training partners to former Strikeforce Heavywight champion Alistair Overeem. News of their releases was confirmed by Golden Glory head coach Martijn de Jong over Twitter.

This news comes just one week after Alistair Overeem was released by Zuffa. Overeem dropped out of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix, citing injury and an inability to fight at 100% by the September 10 date. He then was announced for a show organized by United Glory (essentially the same company as Golden Glory) in October, and was promptly cut from Strikeforce.

While we don't know the exact details yet, it's hard to see these releases as anything other than Zuffa going after other Golden Glory fighters. While a justification could be made for cutting both Valentijn and Einemo, as both are late in their careers and coming off of losses, cutting Coenen is a big surprise. The former Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight champion just lost her title to Miesha Tate at last weekend's Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson show, and is considered one of the top women in MMA. Dana White has long been critical of women's MMA, and we are likely to see those divisions eliminated if Strikeforce is absorbed by the UFC, but the timing of her cut here, combined with those of Valntijn and Einemo, sends a clear message.

For those concerned about a Zuffa monopoly, this is exactly the reason for such concerns. This move reeks of Vince McMahon pro wrestling style vindictiveness, where employing the best fighters is secondary to settling personal grudges. It's an unfortunate move that does no service in the attempts to make the sport more mainstream.

Business as usual.....

I'm not sure I can disagree with Zuffa here. The Golden Glory gym is organizing it's own MMA organization under the name United Glory. Their biggest name fighter dropped out of a Strikeforce major fight only to announce for a United Glory fight that would have taken place a month later. Why on earth would zuffa allow a competing organization to operate within their own, especially when zuffa suspects they are favoring their own events at the expense of damaging strikeforce's? I wouldn't have minced words like they have and just announced that Golden Glory fighters need not apply.

I sense Overeem vs. Fedor may come to fruition soon. Man, how much has that fight lost its luster? It's still an exciting matchup, but what's on the line? The DREAM belt? Wow. I mean, alright...sooo...when ya gonna fight a Mir or Carwin, Alistair? Serious question.

It's starting to look like Reem is just allergic to Zuffa, much like Fedor is. Damnit man, I hope to God he signs with the UFC.

Like most fans, I'd rather him just move to kickboxing exclusively if he doesn't sign with the UFC. And another thing, I want him to fight Bigfoot, I was really excited for that one. *Throws keyboard*

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

White says Emelianenko cut from Strikeforce; rep says contract still intact with Showtime

Fedor Emelianenko is no longer a Strikeforce fighter.

But he is definitely still a Showtime fighter, according to his representatives.

UFC president Dana White said today that the former PRIDE champion's days in the hexagon have come to an end following a third consecutive loss this past Saturday in suburban Chicago.

Reached for comment on the release, M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan said to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "Really? Given that [White] doesn't have a contract with Fedor, interesting."

Kogan stated that Emelianenko's contract lies not with the recently acquired Strikeforce but instead with Showtime Networks, Inc., who played a major role in bringing the Russian back to the negotiating table after talks with Strikeforce broke down in the latter half of 2010.

As part of a deal to bring Emelianenko back to the Strikeforce cage, Showtime negotiated a deal to broadcast four M-1 Global events in 2011. The first of those events took place this past March in Norfolk, Va.

Kogan indicated that Emelianenko may soon find a home with the promotion in which he also holds a minority ownership stake.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24686/white-says-emelianenko-cut-from-strikeforce-rep-says-contract-still-intact-with-showtime.mma

Interesting. So Fedor's contract was with Showtime, not necessarily with Strikeforce? Either way, this is going to go down about how I figured, with Fedor crushing a few cans in M-1. Only it will be on Showtime.

There have been some quotes added to the story. More typical Fedor-Dana stuff, but interesting that Dana said he did not have anything to do with it. But from a Zuffa standpoint, you can't fault their decision; you can't continue to pay a guy like that on a three fight losing streak. The mystique is all but gone, and the mystique never really translated to as many viewers as I thought it would.

"You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world," White said at a media scrum following the pre-event press conference for UFC 133. "I said he was overrated for years."

White said "he thought so" when asked whether Emelianenko's contract was up and that Zuffa simply wasn't re-signing him.

The decision to cut Emelianenko, though, wasn't one in which he was involved.

"I'm so far removed from any of that [expletive]," he said.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24686/white-says-emelianenko-cut-from-strikeforce-rep-says-contract-still-intact-with-showtime.mma

But, hey, then there's this:

Dana White hints Strikeforce champ Dan Henderson could soon return to UFC's ranks

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (28-8 MMA, 3-1 SF) may soon return to the UFC's roster, according to UFC president Dana White.

The 40-year-old Henderson recently ended a four-fight Strikeforce deal with an emphatic TKO win over former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and is free to test the open waters of free agency.

Now White says he'll at least entertain the idea of the seven-time UFC vet making his way back into the octagon.

"We'll see what happens," White said following Thursday's pre-UFC 133 press conference. "'Hendo' and I have had some history in dealings. We'll see if we can figure something out and get him back in the UFC."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24687/dana-white-hints-strikeforce-champ-dan-henderson-could-soon-return-to-ufcs-ranks.mma

I really really hope Henderson signs with UFC again, he could really put a dent in the current LHW standings. I think he really deserves a title shot after his last couple of fights (and after one or two matches with the UFC top LHW's). I love seeing him fight, the guy is a tank and he's seen just about everything and everyone on the mat.

Actually, right now the way he's fighting, I think he can beat Rampage and Machida, and maybe Shogun and Rashad as well. There is no one outside of JJ who has a good chance of beating Hendo. And even Bones, since we haven't seen him defend his title yet, if he regresses and goes into title defense mode instead of "***** this is MY title and I'm going to beat you before you beat me" mode, then Hendo has a good chance against him as well.

Edited by styx491

I really really hope Henderson signs with UFC again, he could really put a dent in the current LHW standings. I think he really deserves a title shot after his last couple of fights (and after one or two matches with the UFC top LHW's). I love seeing him fight, the guy is a tank and he's seen just about everything and everyone on the mat.

Actually, right now the way he's fighting, I think he can beat Rampage and Machida, and maybe Shogun and Rashad as well. There is no one outside of JJ who has a good chance of beating Hendo. And even Bones, since we haven't seen him defend his title yet, if he regresses and goes into title defense mode instead of "***** this is MY title and I'm going to beat you before you beat me" mode, then Hendo has a good chance against him as well.

I say give Hendo an immediate title shot in the UFC a la' Nick Diaz...especially before he gets any older.

Helwani with Dana White, 13 minute interview.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/04/dana-white-talks-ufc-133-golden-glory-and-fedor-emelianenkos-f/

Golden Glory management receives their fighters' purse money, and the UFC pays fighters directly, no if ands or buts. Golden Glory needs to make that adjustment in order for The Reem to enter the UFC, or he just needs to leave them (which I don't think he'll do).

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/UFC-begins-process-of-cutting-Fedor-from-Strikef;_ylt=Aj0Abvz3GdgDLSNYLf70tpmtEo14?urn=mma-wp5357

The inevitable is about to happen to Fedor Emelianenko. The former king of the PRIDE heavyweights has lost three straight and makes big money, he's now on the chopping blocking according to Dana White.

"Yeah, he's being cut," White confirmed. "You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years."

Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole reports that Zuffa is combing through a very complicated contract that Fedor signed. Fedor's camp responded by suggesting the fighter can't be cut by Zuffa because his contract is with Showtime.

From 2000-2006, Fedor was considered one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world. He rolled to a 31-1 record through 2009 before he dropped a fight to Fabricio Werdum in June of 2010. Since that submission loss, he's lost fights against Antonio Silva, and last weekend against Dan Henderson.

Edited by Chachie