Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I had forgotten that he's had almost a full year but I still think it will take at least 2 fights to truly change his mental make-up (and conditioning) as a fighter. The fear I'm talking about is the fear that any fighter has when the opening bell (or horn) sounds. I'm not saying he's "scared" of his opponents. I'm saying fear is definitely a factor for anyone.

Like I said before though... I'm not calling him a perpetual gasser but I do need to see him do anything positive whatsoever with a 2nd round before I buy into his "changed fighter" hype. He told the world he was training for multiple rounds in his camp for the Lesnar fight. We saw what happened there. I believe he trained for it but that was practice. Let's see him finish a 2nd round in a real fight scenario.

(He could deck JDS with a solid shot in the first round and prove nothing at all. Or, he could hurt JDS and show us that he's changed his mental make-up by not wasting so much energy trying to finish like he did with Brock.)

that's a completely fair request. he hasn't proved that anything has changed yet, i just figure that he doesn't have much longer to get the belt. if he's smart, not saying he is, he knows this and will make that change ASAP.

also, i dunno if i would call it fear when the bell sounds, probably more anxious or adrenaline. and you are right, he did say that he was training for multiple rounds for the lesnar fight...i think that was lip service then because he thought he would tko him in the 1st round. he knows now that even if he gets the ol' boy down, he can't just go all out and poop the bed.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/9/2216148/dana-white-announces-all-ufc-main-events-will-be-five-rounds

There's a celebration going on in the Land of Fagan today. Both Kevin Iole and Brett Okamoto report via Twitter that UFC President Dana White announced that, going forward, all UFC main events will be scheduled for five rounds, regardless of whether a title is at stake. The policy will start following the Rashad Evans/Phil Davis main event at UFC 133, as bout agreements for that fight have already been signed.

click for the rest of the article

This is fantastic news. A lot of fights would be different had they been 5 rounds instead of 3.

More news tonight, UFC will introduce a 125 lb Flyweight division and Nick Diaz has vacated the Strikeforce WW title.

Flyweight: http://mmajunkie.com/news/23944/dana-white-ufc-adding-125-pound-featherweight-division-like-really-soon.mma

Diaz: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/9/2216240/nick-diaz-vacates-strikeforce-welterweight-title

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

The SF WW championship belt being vacated is interesting. So this isn't a title unification fight, just a fight for the UFC title. Would Nick have to fight for the Strikeforce WW title again if he loses? That's fairer for the roster of fighters, better than GSP controlling both belts. In this case, the SF WW title is almost being used as a #1 contender title for the UFC WW title that GSP is definitely not going to give up anytime soon.

I'm excited for the Flyweight division. We will see some ridiculous small guys fighting their hearts out.

PB just stream it like us poor people. :)

also:

Spike TV confirms 32-man "TUF 14" cast; elimination round back, wild-card picks gone

As expected "The Ultimate Fighter 14" will feature featherweight and bantamweight fighters for the first time in the six-year history of the realuty series.

Spike TV officials today announced the show officially is in production and revealed some of the show specifics.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) subsequently confirmed some additional details for this season, which kicks off Sept. 21 on Spike TV.

Today's announcement stated the cast will feature 32 fighters who immediately competed in an elimination round of fights. The winners got a spot in the "TUF" house, and the losers weren't sent home. UFC officials nixed the elimination round with "TUF 13," which was met largely with disappointment.

MMAjunkie.com has confirmed that with 32 fighters, the recently adopted wild-card picks and wild-card fight have been eliminated from the tournament. Eight fighters will compete in the featherweight division, and eight fighters will compete in the bantamweight division.

The seventh, eighth, ninth seasons, 11th and 12th seasons of the show saw the use of the elimination round, and "TUF 11" then saw the implementation of second-chance wild-card entries into the quarterfinals. For "TUF 14," the elimination round remains, but the wild-card picks are gone.

"TUF 14" features UFC middleweight contender Michael Bisping and Strikeforce transplant Jason "Mayhem" Miller as coaches. Following the UFC-WEC merger earlier this year and the implementation of new weight classes, 135-pounders and 145-pounders are featured on "TUF" for the first time ever.

"TUF," which debuted in 2005 and quickly became a driving force for the UFC's move into the mainstream, had launched the careers of more than 100 UFC fighters and has produced past champions such as Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin and Matt Serra.

For more on "The Ultimate Fighter 14" season debut, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC 131: Carwin vs. Oxygen, picks:

Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha: Cerrone wants it on the feet, Rocha wants to get it to the ground. Subber's chance.

Cerrone, Decision

Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz: Demian Maia is one of the more overlooked fighters in the world. He's absolutely tenacious with his grappling, it's awesome to watch. Just seeing him latch on to people and stay two steps ahead of them will show you the absolute beauty of jiu jitsu. Here's this slightly built guy that has his way with bigger fighters because he stays two steps ahead of them with things they've never even thought about. I also think his boxing is underrated for MMA, he's shown us signs of improvement each time out. He'll hang in there with Munoz without taking much damage, if Maia is taken down I think he'll find a way to get Munoz in trouble.

Maia, RNC, round 2.

Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes: Kenny was a thin lightweight, the only way I see him losing is by gassing and getting outpaced. Anything else would be shocking.

Florian, RNC, round 2

Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin: While we know Carwin has focused heavily on his cardiovascular health, I still believe he will try to land a few haymakers early. I do not expect someone to be awake after that. If an early KO doesn't occur, we may find out the answer to some questions. Shane's background is in wrestling, and Dos Santos' takedown defense hasn't really been tested. If it goes to the ground, will Carwin pick his shots, steady his pace, and avoid submissions/sweeps? Will Dos Santos' BJJ come to light? This fight is very interesting any way you cut it, but today, I'm just feeling like it'll be quick. Carwin will actually shoot for a takedown, but Dos Santos will defend it and lay a couple hands on him. Enough to get Carwin backpedaling and unable to avoid the onslaught.

Dos Santos, KO, round 1

(My Carwin by UD is still active as well, and Chachie shall hear it forever if it happens)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 131: Carwin vs. JDS, picks:

Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha: Cerrone is one of my favorite fighters, wins it on the ground with those long ass limbs. I hope he wears his hat during the fight.

Cerrone, RNC, Round 2.

Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman: Herman looks a lot smaller than Jon, but dude is cut. Jon has a small chance of subbing Herman, but I don't think it'll come to that. Herman welcomes Einemo to the UFC with a good old fashioned ground and pound onslaught in a fight that takes place on the floor for the majority of the time.

Herman, TKO (GnP), Round 1.

Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz: Another fight decided on the ground. If Munoz can hang with Maia's sub attempts, this will go to decision, otherwise Maia will catch Munoz. Maia is way too adept with his BJJ.

Maia, Triangle choke, round 3.

Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes: I'm on the Nunes bandwagon, even though Kenny is a great and classy MMA fighter and I respect his skills a lot and love watching his fights. His weight class transformation over the years is really impressive. I don't think he will be able to keep up with Nunes' pace and will hit a cardio wall after the 2nd round. Nunes takes a close decision.

Nunes, Split Decision.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin: This is an awesome fight, the more I think about the more excited I get for the possibilities. Both guys want to engage, both guys have very compatible style yet different ways of fighting. Both guys have power, and the Big Country fight seriously undervalued JDS' striking power since Big Country can take probably the most punishment I've seen in the UFC. Carwin is established and JDS will be wary of his knockout punches for sure. This fight is tough to call, my heart wants JDS to win but my gut says Carwin shows he's definitely a changed and much more complete fighter. This fight goes 3 rounds, both guys bleeding, both guys establishing their ground game with Carwin staying the aggressor, and Carwin wins with a hard right to the Junior's chin, dropping him, and then hammerfists galore. I'm excited to see who's kicks are more effective though. IMO that may change the whole fight.

Carwin, TKO (GnP), Round 3.

Sub of the Night: Donald Cerrone

Knockout of the Night: Shane Carwin

Fight of the Night: Florian/Nunes or JDS/Carwin

Edited by styx491