Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Wish-Granted-Hybrid-Faces-Nogueira-at-UFC-134-32384

Since March, UFC up-and-comer Brendan Schaub has campaigned for a fight with heavyweight legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Today, he got it.

The UFC confirmed Monday that Schaub and Nogueira will square off at UFC 134 “Rio” on Aug. 27. Set to take place at HSBC Arena in Nogueira’s home base of Rio de Janeiro, the pay-per-view event will be headlined by a middleweight title bout between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Yushin Okami.

Lex McMahon, Schaub’s manager, told ESPN.com on Sunday that the Coloradan’s side had been “lobbying daily for the fight” against Nogueira.

Schaub, 28, holds a record of 8-1 is viewed as one of the UFC’s top heavyweight prospects. The Grudge Training Center representative entered the Octagon by way of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show; Schaub reached the 10th-season finals, where he was dealt the first defeat of his career in the form of a Roy Nelson knockout.

Since that December 2009 loss, Schaub has reeled off four straight wins, including three via knockout. The “Hybrid” took a unanimous decision over former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga in October, and most recently served up a knockout of former Pride Fighting Championships star Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 128 on March 19.

Another heavyweight from the fabled Pride ring, Nogueira, 34, possesses a career mark of 32-6-1 (one no-contest). The former UFC interim titleholder has not competed since his February 2010 knockout loss to current heavyweight ruler Cain Velasquez and has since undergone both knee and dual hip surgery.

Since entering the UFC in July 2007, “Minotauro” has posted a 3-2 record, suffering the first stoppage losses of his career to Velasquez and Frank Mir, while topping Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia and Heath Herring. The Brazilian’s lengthy ledger is bolstered by wins over “Cro Cop,” Josh Barnett and Fabricio Werdum.

I probably leave the room during this fight

i refuse to allow my eyes to witness the legend that is Minotauro lose to Brendan Schaub :(

Yeah I'm pretty sure that this is for a shot at Cain.

I'm still not even that excited about Silva/Okami because it probably won't be much of a challenge. Okami will probably get KO'd in the first round.

134 is too far away to rate the card, not even all fights have been announced, let alone injury replacements. By the looks of things 134 might be the next PPV I buy. 132 with Cruz v Faber looks alright (much better than 130, 131) to me but I will not buy a PPV with either Tito Ortiz or Chris Leben fighting. Here's hoping both get injured and never fight in the UFC again. 133 looks promising if you see the match ups listed on Wikipedia, but not much is official at this point.

Unless Dana pulls a few rabbits out of his hat, 134 will be the only PPV I order for the foreseeable future. Silva in Brazil is something worth seeing IMO.

134 is too far away to rate the card, not even all fights have been announced, let alone injury replacements. By the looks of things 134 might be the next PPV I buy. 132 with Cruz v Faber looks alright (much better than 130, 131) to me but I will not buy a PPV with either Tito Ortiz or Chris Leben fighting. Here's hoping both get injured and never fight in the UFC again. 133 looks promising if you see the match ups listed on Wikipedia, but not much is official at this point.

Unless Dana pulls a few rabbits out of his hat, 134 will be the only PPV I order for the foreseeable future. Silva in Brazil is something worth seeing IMO.

Ok I get the Ortiz hate (even though I am a fan), but why the hate for Leben that guy brings the fight everytime....I do not know how you can not like Leben.

Maybe he finds him arrogant? I use to but after he fought Silva I became a fan.

I mean I think Leben is a scumbag person, he took steroids, has gone to jail numerous times, but this isnt the personality, or good person championships....its the Ultimate Fighting Championships and the guy comes to fight every time and thats what I look for. I will always pay to watch a Chris Leben fight...cause you know he is gonna bring it on the feet and the ground.

I will not buy a PPV with either Tito Ortiz or Chris Leben fighting. Here's hoping both get injured and never fight in the UFC again.

Like others have said, what's up with the Leben hate? And why are you wishing that guys get injured so bad they have to retire?

Leben will always have a job with the UFC because he comes out and puts everything on the line for every fight. Not to mention he was game when the UFC asked him to fight twice in two weeks last summer. He came out, beat the **** out of Aaron Simpson then turned around and triangled Akiyama. Also, how can you not be excited about Leben vs. Wand?

Carwin's cardio is the X-factor against JDS. Carwin is the one who really exposed Brock's inability to deal with fighters who can touch his chin. Carwin's gassing out ended up being the big story of his fight with Brock, but something that shouldn't go un-noticed is how Carwin handled Brock's wrestling pedigree just fine in the first round before he got tired. Leading up to the fight I remember Brock talking all sorts of trash because Carwin was a D-II champ and not a D-1A champ like Brock, but Carwin stuffed Brock's take down and sort of threw him around at will in the opening round. Had he not gassed out and basically fell asleep due to exhaustion between rounds, he probably would have continued to beat on Brock and ended the fight.

With that said, I think Carwin has the ability to take JDS down, and exercising a high level of BJJ against a guy as massive as Carwin is going to be a tough task regardless of how good your sk ills are.

JDS is going to have to rely on his speed and agility, and actually look to be a polished striker and not just try to get in a slugging contest with Carwin.

I think the fight is really either fighter's to win, and it might just come down to who executes the better game plan.

Maybe he finds him arrogant? I use to but after he fought Silva I became a fan.

I do find him arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful. Not to mention not a very good fighter. I assume you mean the win vs Jay Silva not the beating he took vs Anderson. And his wins, those exciting fights are against weak opponents, when he fights a guy with any skill at all he gets his a** handed to him.

Na I mean the Anderson Silva fight, I enjoyed that beating.

that's funny. I just don't think Leben is that good of a fighter, more of a brawler and is over hyped by the UFC. he makes some "exciting" fights, but that's because he has to resort to going Tazamanian devil on his opponents. Go back and check the stats, he does not land many punches. I see Leben as the top notch of the lower tier fighters, guys who won't get a title shot but help fill out some cards. To me he is a poor mans Diego Sanchez, not a very good fighter but will give it his all. He is not a contender and never will be, he is just fodder, and that is why I will not pay to see him on PPV. I will watch a fight on Spike or whoever broadcasts a free fight but I will not pay to watch Leben.

In fact one fight I would like to see as it would expose both of those guys as frauds is Diego vs Leben. I can already see the stats after the first round, 897 total punches thrown from both fighters, 4 landed, 3 by Leben and 1 by Sanchez. There is no way Sanchez won his fight vs Martin Kampmann, but UFC rules and judging standards reward guys who get the crowd excited.

that's funny. I just don't think Leben is that good of a fighter, more of a brawler and is over hyped by the UFC. he makes some "exciting" fights, but that's because he has to resort to going Tazamanian devil on his opponents. Go back and check the stats, he does not land many punches. I see Leben as the top notch of the lower tier fighters, guys who won't get a title shot but help fill out some cards. To me he is a poor mans Diego Sanchez, not a very good fighter but will give it his all. He is not a contender and never will be, he is just fodder, and that is why I will not pay to see him on PPV. I will watch a fight on Spike or whoever broadcasts a free fight but I will not pay to watch Leben.

In fact one fight I would like to see as it would expose both of those guys as frauds is Diego vs Leben. I can already see the stats after the first round, 897 total punches thrown from both fighters, 4 landed, 3 by Leben and 1 by Sanchez. There is no way Sanchez won his fight vs Martin Kampmann, but UFC rules and judging standards reward guys who get the crowd excited.

I loled hard.

I liked the Silva fight because I remember in the prefight Leben was talking about how he was gonna walk through Silvas shots like they were nothing and look what happened.

That would actually be a very interesting matchup even though I think Sanchez would beat Leben on speed alone. Chris is the all-time slowest middleweight I've ever seen. Diego better not mix it up with the Crippler though. Those slow punches land like cement. Unlike you, I love the dude. He was the runt who got picked on in TUF so I kinda dug him as a lovable underdog right away. He went on to have a good career so far, giving his best despite his limitations. He also made big strides in his ground game along the way. He's a bit of a wildman in his private life but I don't think he means any ill-will or lacks humility. He's just matured slowly.

That would actually be a very interesting matchup even though I think Sanchez would beat Leben on speed alone. Chris is the all-time slowest middleweight I've ever seen. Diego better not mix it up with the Crippler though. Those slow punches land like cement. Unlike you, I love the dude. He was the runt who got picked on in TUF so I kinda dug him as a lovable underdog right away. He went on to have a good career so far, giving his best despite his limitations. He also made big strides in his ground game along the way. He's a bit of a wildman in his private life but I don't think he means any ill-will or lacks humility. He's just matured slowly.

don't get me wrong, I am not saying Leben is not entertaining, I just don't want to pay PPV prices for an under card fighter. I also would not pay to see a lot of other "fan favourites" on PPV. put them on the prelim or a fight night and I will watch no problem, but to me PPV is a premium event and I want premium fights and fighters.

Is **** about to get real?

Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz Could Be Announced As Early As Next Week

It appears the first major cross-promotional fight between the UFC and Strikeforce could be coming to a head within the next few days.

After beating Jake Shields at UFC 129 in Toronto, it looked like Georges St-Pierre had all but cleaned out the best of the best in the welterweight division… except for one person. That one person is on the verge of signing to face St-Pierre later this year in a 170-pound title bout.

http://mmaweekly.com/georges-st-pierre-vs-nick-diaz-could-be-announced-as-early-as-next-week

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

honestly, I can't get that excited for the fight

it will be 5 rounds of GSP taking Diaz down repeatedly

This is how I see it going too, but I'm still pretty excited about it. GSP might stand and trade with him before he starts shooting and Diaz probably has the most dangerous guard at 170 so there should be chances for submissions.