Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Gilbert Melendez isn't bad either. :)

Oh yes for sure, that fight was total domination by him.

My friend (who got me into mma) has always talked about Nick for years and how Nick is his favorite mma fighter, and tonight I saw why. His strategy completely caught Daley off guard and he took some massive punches and went down, but it was incredible seeing him stick with it and keep an aggressive stance, especially when Daley was backing up. That is some guts.... haha and I'm sure no one expected it.

Edited by styx491

The thing I love about Diaz is that he is always going to press the fight and look for ways to finish. I have yet to see him (win or lose) decide that he is winning on points and just kind of rest on his laurels and try to ride the wave to shore.

He is willing to put himself in harm's way as well. He knew damn well it was a risk to come forward and have to deal with Daley's left hand. He even got a taste of Daley's power a few times. Did that matter? Nope.

These performances by Nick Diaz tend to make me pay attention to the stuff he says more closely and give him respect for his opinions about fighting itself (I am eluding to the video posted a few pages back where he is explaining how the rules of UFC heavily favor wrestlers and the strategy to just take people down and hold them down while throwing lazy elbows) He did kind of ramble a bit in his explanation, but he made a bunch of good points.

Hell, seeing Nick Diaz's performance tonight, makes me think Shields has more of a chance vs. GSP, if only for the fact that Shields is facing Nick Diaz every day in training camp.

i'm done picking against Nick

x2, atleast until he gets hopefully back to the UFC but thats not a done deal with him and Dana's past.

I'd love to see Nick vs BJ at 170.. Even Alves would be a interesting matchup. I think his wrestling is what will keep him from winning the UFC belt.

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 04:19 AM ----------

The thing I love about Diaz is that he is always going to press the fight and look for ways to finish. I have yet to see him (win or lose) decide that he is winning on points and just kind of rest on his laurels and try to ride the wave to shore.

He is willing to put himself in harm's way as well. He knew damn well it was a risk to come forward and have to deal with Daley's left hand. He even got a taste of Daley's power a few times. Did that matter? Nope.

These performances by Nick Diaz tend to make me pay attention to the stuff he says more closely and give him respect for his opinions about fighting itself (I am eluding to the video posted a few pages back where he is explaining how the rules of UFC heavily favor wrestlers and the strategy to just take people down and hold them down while throwing lazy elbows) He did kind of ramble a bit in his explanation, but he made a bunch of good points.

Hell, seeing Nick Diaz's performance tonight, makes me think Shields has more of a chance vs. GSP, if only for the fact that Shields is facing Nick Diaz every day in training camp.

Shields is alot stronger and alot better wrestler then Diaz. Shields would beat Diaz if they ever fought because he would take him down at will. Thats why Nick has no chance of beating a GSP.

x2, atleast until he gets hopefully back to the UFC but thats not a done deal with him and Dana's past.

I'd love to see Nick vs BJ at 170.. Even Alves would be a interesting matchup. I think his wrestling is what will keep him from winning the UFC belt.

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 04:19 AM ----------

Shields is alot stronger and alot better wrestler then Diaz. Shields would beat Diaz if they ever fought because he would take him down at will. Thats why Nick has no chance of beating a GSP.

Take him down at will? His tdd is not that bad remember the Sherk vs Diaz fight? Sherk didn't get those takedowns at will. I still say Diaz won that fight. Plus Shields has a better chance at submitting GSP than submitting Diaz. Diaz is very dangerous off his back. Plus his cardio is off the charts, not saying he will beat GSP but he definitely has a chance. With his ground game and excellent striking that he just put on display and granite chin, Diaz can beat anyone.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

Also NIck will never fight Shields. He even said it if Shields is the number 1 welterweight he will be happy being number 2.

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big

Take him down at will? His tdd is not that bad remember the Sherk vs Diaz fight? Sherk didn't get those takedowns at will. I still say Diaz won that fight. Plus Shields has a better chance at submitting GSP than submitting Diaz. Diaz is very dangerous off his back. Plus his cardio is off the charts, not saying he will beat GSP but he definitely has a chance. With his ground game and excellent striking that he just put on display and granite chin, Diaz can beat anyone.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

Also NIck will never fight Shields. He even said it if Shields is the number 1 welterweight he will be happy being number 2.

We all know they will never fight. I don't think we will see Diaz or Shields getting submitted anytime soon. The difference is those guys GSP, Shields can take you down and hold you winning via lay-n-pray. If Shields can't take GSP down he will be ko'd because GSP is gonna keep this fight standing. Shields strikes like a girl and with the camp GSP is in they will fight to his weakness.

I don't think Nick has a chance againest GSP. I could also see him losing very easily to BJ, Alves, Kos and Fitch. Lets be real the competition level he has faced in strikeforce is nowhere near UFC top fighters.

Yeah. I think the main point I was trying to make is that Diaz is out there seemingly to put on a show first. He is in the fight game to fight, and by that I don't necessarily mean stand there and throw sloppy haymakers.

He also seems to still be in the "getting better every time he fights" stage of his career. Every new he fight he takes on, people have reasons why he just won't win. Even those most of their peers picked Diaz, buy a very lopsided amount, the press and a lot of viewers seemed to go with Daley, however no one really thought it would be a TKO, let alone a 1st round TKO in that fashion.

As a fan of Diaz, I will concede I think as the level of competition starts to heat up, his style of fighting is going to cost him a fight, and probably sooner than later, because it seems he tries to challenge his opponent specifically at THEIR STRENGTH, which is 9/10 times a suicide mission on the professional level. Once that strategy costs Diaz a fight, lets see how he reacts. Who he brings in to train and get better and evolve.

In 5 rounds I could see him beating all of those guys. The competition in Strikeforce has been lower but Diaz will not lose those fights easily if at all. No one has ever just walked through Diaz. His tough as hell, he did what no one else would do and thats strike with Daley. Daley went for a takedown for godsake. All of his losses have been competitive. Could he lose sure but I just disagree that he would lose those fights easily.