Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

As I understand it UFC and Strikeforce fighters can't "switch" unless their contracts expire. The same parent company owns both but with sponsors and TV contracts in place they can't send fighters to the other promotion without endangering those contracts and possible being sued depending on the language. Especially if the perception is the best fighters from strikeforce are going to the UFC. Plus 129 is so friggin loaded with fighters I like I just don't care about Diaz or the fact that he beat Daley who hasn't proven to be terribly smart in MMA.

GSP is fighting in the most underrated super fight of all time. Jake shields hasn't lost in 15 fights or since 2004, which ever you prefer. His strength happens to be in the same area that GSP relies on to win fights.

Jose Aldo, who should be known as the Brazilian Bruce Lee for the way he uses kicks and the speed of his legs is fighting in the UFC for the first time.

Machida is fighting Couture which is the strangest match up I've seen in a long time. Fan of both fighters though so I'm intrigued.

Ben Henderson, who I liked in the WEC, has to rebound from the crazy kick that cost him his title.

Plus the lesser Diaz is fighting as well.

I can't remember a UFC that was stacked with so many fighters I like.

Yep. Sweet friggin' card in 3 weeks. I see GSP as being at a slight disadvantage in the wrestling dept. but having a huge edge in striking.

Couture is plain insane for demanding this fight with Machida but we'll see what he's got up his sleeve.

Edited by Chachie

As I understand it UFC and Strikeforce fighters can't "switch" unless their contracts expire. The same parent company owns both but with sponsors and TV contracts in place they can't send fighters to the other promotion without endangering those contracts and possible being sued depending on the language. Especially if the perception is the best fighters from strikeforce are going to the UFC. Plus 129 is so friggin loaded with fighters I like I just don't care about Diaz or the fact that he beat Daley who hasn't proven to be terribly smart in MMA.

GSP is fighting in the most underrated super fight of all time. Jake shields hasn't lost in 15 fights or since 2004, which ever you prefer. His strength happens to be in the same area that GSP relies on to win fights.

Jose Aldo, who should be known as the Brazilian Bruce Lee for the way he uses kicks and the speed of his legs is fighting in the UFC for the first time.

Machida is fighting Couture which is the strangest match up I've seen in a long time. Fan of both fighters though so I'm intrigued.

Ben Henderson, who I liked in the WEC, has to rebound from the crazy kick that cost him his title.

Plus the lesser Diaz is fighting as well.

How do you not care that Diaz just tkoed Daley and beat him at his own game. Speaks volumes of Diaz's skill.

Diaz didn't fight Mayhem, did he?

My bad. I knew he was 2-0 at 185. The other guys was Frank Shamrock. Assumed Sam was talking about past opponents and didn't think about it.

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

As I understand it UFC and Strikeforce fighters can't "switch" unless their contracts expire. The same parent company owns both but with sponsors and TV contracts in place they can't send fighters to the other promotion without endangering those contracts and possible being sued depending on the language.

Not sure where you're getting this idea. Strikeforce has always been known to have open contracts. Daley fought in the UK a couple months ago because he wanted to. They have a certain number of fights they probably owe Coker/Showtime/CBS...(depending on their deal), other than that they can fight elsewhere. The UFC has exclusive deals, but they are their deals. They can do whatever they want with them. If they want a fighter in strikeforce they just have to rip up or rework the deal.

How do you not care that Diaz just tkoed Daley and beat him at his own game. Speaks volumes of Diaz's skill.

Because I don't think Paul Daley is very good. That simple. The guy isn't even a gatekeeper.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 04:36 AM ----------

Not sure where you're getting this idea. Strikeforce has always been known to have open contracts. Daley fought in the UK a couple months ago because he wanted to. They have a certain number of fights they probably owe Coker/Showtime/CBS...(depending on their deal), other than that they can fight elsewhere. The UFC has exclusive deals, but they are their deals. They can do whatever they want with them. If they want a fighter in strikeforce they just have to rip up or rework the deal.
from Dana White. He said they would not be moving any fighters until contracts expired and that at that point both promotions would be free to openly bid on them. The intent is to keep strikeforce alive and well (and own there main competition in doing so). With the top two promotions in thief pocket they are even more insulated against competition than ever. I don't see them throwing that away for Diaz.

from Dana White. He said they would not be moving any fighters until contracts expired and that at that point both promotions would be free to openly bid on them. The intent is to keep strikeforce alive and well (and own there main competition in doing so). With the top two promotions in thief pocket they are even more insulated against competition than ever. I don't see them throwing that away for Diaz.

That is the PC thing to say. Doesn't mean they don't control everything they want to do, save maybe having to throw a bone to Showtime or CBS to make a fight work.

Because I don't think Paul Daley is very good. That simple. The guy isn't even a gatekeeper.

He's not close to Diaz' level. His best victories are over Dustin Hazlett and Martin Kampmann. I don't think he'd beat Kampmann again. The only reason I was worried Nick might not beat him was because of his power and Nick's reckless style.

This does make one question how close Diaz is to the top-tier UFC 170lb level. I think he's real close but I can't argue with anyone who says he hasn't proven it yet because he simply hasn't. I'd love love love to see him get a rematch with Diego "Baconface" Sanchez or even take on Kampmann, Condit, Hathaway, or Alves. These would be awesome matchups.

GSP and Fitch would probably beat Diaz right now.

He's not close to Diaz' level. His best victories are over Dustin Hazlett and Martin Kampmann. I don't think he'd beat Kampmann again. The only reason I was worried Nick might not beat him was because of his power and Nick's reckless style.

This does make one question how close Diaz is to the top-tier UFC 170lb level. I think he's real close but I can't argue with anyone who says he hasn't proven it yet because he simply hasn't. I'd love love love to see him get a rematch with Diego "Baconface" Sanchez or even take on Kampmann, Condit, Hathaway, or Alves. These would be awesome matchups.

GSP and Fitch would probably beat Diaz right now.

Diaz's weakness will probably be a strong wrestler which is what most of the UFCs 170 division is. There aren't many of them in Strikeforce so I'm hoping to see them match him against Woodley to see if Diaz is any better against wrestlers these days.

I think Daley would absolutely beat Kampmann again. Kampmann's striking is technical, but he lacks power. His wrestling is more defensive oriented. I think Daley beats him 7 out of 10 times if they fight

I think Daley would absolutely beat Kampmann again. Kampmann's striking is technical, but he lacks power. His wrestling is more defensive oriented. I think Daley beats him 7 out of 10 times if they fight

His BJJ has improved immensely since that fight. He beat Paulo Thiago at Paulo's own game. But whatever. I don't see them matching up again so probably a moot point.

Edited by Chachie

That is the PC thing to say. Doesn't mean they don't control everything they want to do, save maybe having to throw a bone to Showtime or CBS to make a fight work.

Maybe it's the PC thing to say but he went on record and said it. That matters because the companies you want to do business in the future will see what you did and not trust strikeforce in the future. Business is about trust and if Zuffa takes the best fighters from Strikeforce and puts them on the UFC promotion before their contracts are expired strikeforce is dead. I believe him when he says he wants strikeforce to exist there is always going to be a option B in MMA and Zuffa wants to control it. By having the two most active promotions that pretty much destroy the odds of a real competitor materializing to challenge the UFC.

Maybe it's the PC thing to say but he went on record and said it. That matters because the companies you want to do business in the future will see what you did and not trust strikeforce in the future. Business is about trust and if Zuffa takes the best fighters from Strikeforce and puts them on the UFC promotion before their contracts are expired strikeforce is dead. I believe him when he says he wants strikeforce to exist there is always going to be a option B in MMA and Zuffa wants to control it. By having the two most active promotions that pretty much destroy the odds of a real competitor materializing to challenge the UFC.

I don't see it as stealing a fighter from Strikeforce. They can let some UFC fighters fight in the Strikeforce cage too. They can go back and forth now if that is what Zuffa wants.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 02:27 PM ----------

Sonnen is just to funny to not like at least a little.

"They have not given me a date but I'm pretty sure it's going to be very soon. I think he wants to get me in there as soon as possible. The director has been very stern with me. He was stern with me face-to-face. But he's also been very fair with me. He leveled with me, I would love to play poker with director Kizer, I'd clean him out. He's got no poker face. He'll tell you it straight, he'll tell you exactly how it is. And he told me I could come before his body as soon as I got done with the federal thing and look forward for a second chance. I think it will happen right away. I think it could happen as soon as this Friday. ... I'm real confident that we'll be in there within the month of April and we'll have resolution ... I had contact with the UFC, I reached out to them. I said, 'Guys, give me the worst guy you've got under contract' and you've got to understand, my focus has been in a lot of different directions. Dealing with the federal government is a tough thing. Losing a title fight that you put everything into is a tough thing ... I called them up and I leveled with them, I said, 'Give me the worst guy you've got under contract.' They said, 'Chael, Wanderlei won't fight you.' I said, 'Alright, give me the second worst guy you've got under contract.' They said, 'Chael, how many times do we have to tell you -- Cro Cop's a heavyweight.' I said, 'Alright, is there anybody available? How about Bisping? Is his dance card open? And they said, 'That might be a possibility.' That's where we left off. That just isn't my focus. My focus is making things right with Director Kizer."

:ols::ols::ols:

Zuffa will do whatever makes sense business-wise. If Having crossover fights next month makes them the most money, they will do it. Believe that. Dana said the same exact "Gonna keep them separate" line about PRIDE as well, but it didn't work out, and I doubt it will work with Strikeforce.

It could be viable for a little while because not everyone follows the sport as closely and still actually thinks they are not the same company anymore. However as it starts to sink in, and more people become privy to it, and what the implications are, they will no longer be so accepting of the Elite fighters of Strikeforce, fighting mid-level fighters, instead of at least the gate-keepers of UFC, to test and progress their careers.

Just for the sake of nerding out for a minute :geek:

Imagine if the UFC did a Champ vs. Champ supercard to unify the belts:

Overeem vs. Cain

Hendo vs. Jones

Jacare vs. Anderson

Diaz vs. GSP

Melendez vs. Edgar

Cain vs. Overeem: not sure what would happen, depends on how Overeem reacts to being in with a great wrestler (when's the last time he fought one?)

Jones vs. Hendo: It would get ugly for Hendo. I could see Jones submitting him or possibly stopping him with ground n pound.

Jacare vs. Anderson: it wouldn't happen as they train together, but if it did, Anderson stops him late. Jacare has better takedowns than Maia and is more athletic, but he tends to tire as the fight is extended.

Diaz vs. GSP: 5 rounds of takedowns and modest ground n pound for GSP

Melendez vs. Edgar: I have no idea how this fight would turn out, but damn I hope to see it one day

This kid is retarded:

0:38 - 0:50 is pure gold :ols:

That was worth it just for the last shot. :ols:

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

Just for the sake of nerding out for a minute :geek:

Imagine if the UFC did a Champ vs. Champ supercard to unify the belts:

Overeem vs. Cain

Hendo vs. Jones

Jacare vs. Anderson

Diaz vs. Shields

Melendez vs. Edgar

Fixed. :box:

Yep. Sweet friggin' card in 3 weeks. I see GSP as being at a slight disadvantage in the wrestling dept. but having a huge edge in striking.

Couture is plain insane for demanding this fight with Machida but we'll see what he's got up his sleeve.

I don't see striking playing a huge role in the fight. Dan Henderson is a far better striker than GSP and a more than competent wrestler and he lost to Jake Shields. The thing about Henderson is that he's not very fast he's more of a brute than a ninja in his fighting style. He imposes his presence in front of an opponent and waits to launch that brick he has for a right hand (like Hellboy). GSP is the opposite of that, he darts around the octagon seeking to keep his opponents off balance with strikes and movement which eventually sets up the takedown. He doesn't have Henderson's hips so he relies on that same speed to sprawl as his primary take down defense. Jakes Shields will have a decided strength advantage and he certainly has the stronger chin. I don't think he'll be able to strike against GSP because he's way too slow but if he gets dominant position on the ground GSP will be in serious trouble.

As for Couture that match up intrigues me. Machida is a back peddle defensive fighter that seems to have lost his edge that doesn't display tremendous strength in the cage for a man his size. Couture is to try to grab machida and push him up against the cage, but grabbing that guy isn't easy. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 04:50 PM ----------

This kid is retarded:

0:38 - 0:50 is pure gold :ols:

So that kid is training by letting his sister and grandma punch him? Great plan. lol