Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The universal disrespect of Rashad is absolutely fascinating to me. Because of that zombie picture, of course from getting caught by Machida, he's seemingly been written off in MMA fan circles. The guy is especially quick, keeps constant head movement, has very good footwork... The dude generates strikes from that new-found power stance and can end anyone's night. A great wrestling base as well? Don't sleep on Rashad Evans.

probably didn't help that he essentially retired the eternal crowd favorite Chuck Liddell, and then he took the title from another very well liked fighter in Forrest :ols:

Not a huge follower of MMA and don't know if someone already posted this. It looks like a former Caps player is going to throw his hat into the MMA ring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6415196

Brashear? Wow. That will be cool as a spectacle, but is he doesn't have any training he is going to get Johnnie Morton'ed. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention any training or martial arts background.

Brashear? Wow. That will be cool as a spectacle, but is he doesn't have any training he is going to get Johnnie Morton'ed. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention any training or martial arts background.

This sounds more like a gimick to get people into the fight. Remember it is a semipro card in hockey-fight mad, french Canadian hillbilly country. Brashear might be the only guy in that entire arena who's first language is English, and I suspect some will come either to watch an old favourite enforcer(Habs 93-97) win a fight again or a hated rival (Flyers 01-06, Wash 06-09, NYR 10) get a beating of a lifetime.

His wikiepedia page says he had a 2-1 boxing record during the lockout, but then again it also says that he owns a home building company and that he show up on site to perform various jobs so who knows how seriously he is taking this. I doubt it is a new career path for him.

Edited by artmonkforHOF
clarify

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/The-secrets-behind-GSP-8217-s-weight-cutting-su?urn=mma-wp1628

After GSP steps on the scale on Friday afternoon and weighs in at 170 lbs., his team will give him a carbohydrate-laden recovery drink. Then, they will eat normally and drink water to rehydrate. He'll weigh around 192 lbs. by the time he steps in the Octagon with Shields on Saturday night for UFC 129.

Sounds like GSP has put on some muscle in the last year or so. I remember reading somewhere before the Dan Hardy fight that he was walking around at 180 - 185.

They recently measured his body fat percentage here:

And it's around 5%.

That means that he's put on a good 7-10 pounds of pure lean mass in the last year. That's pretty damn impressive considering how many calories he probably burns during regular training. I'd like to see what GSP's diet looks like the first month into his training camps. Probably would put Michael Phelps to shame.

That's a lot of videos! I'm glad I'm keeping up with Primetime and the Spike previews anyways but I'm excited for the blogs and the interview videos. Watching the preview I realized how much I hate Jake Shields' fighting style and how much I want GSP to beat the **** out of him. GSP training with Florian, Marquardt, and Gracie JJ is going to be too much for Jake. Plus I completely forgot how GSP did not even try to attack with a ground game in his last fight, it was all boxing.

Dana's blogs are great, paying for that girl's parking ticket with a 100 from his wad of 100's :ols:

Edited by styx491

:ols:, the gif in your sig is CRAZY, what the hell is that fight?

i'm not quite sure to be honest

the flamboyant ref is the best part of the gif IMO :ols:

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:39 AM ----------

just a reminder, tonight is the first time the PPV begins at 9pm(est) instead of 10pm

the Spike TV prelims are at 8 and the facebook streams of the rest of the undercard should start around 6

i'm not quite sure to be honest

the flamboyant ref is the best part of the gif IMO :ols:

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:39 AM ----------

just a reminder, tonight is the first time the PPV begins at 9pm(est) instead of 10pm

the Spike TV prelims are at 8 and the facebook streams of the rest of the undercard should start around 6

This card is stacked, can't wait....

What was the story behind your previous sig w/ the Judo throw? Were those guys Japanese politicians?

UFC 129: Take off, eh? Hoser.

Nate Diaz vs. Rory McDonald: Come on. You guys know me. It's a Diaz brother. This one will be on the ground for 3 rounds, btw.

Diaz by Split D.

Mark Hominick vs. Jose Aldo: This will be Aldo's toughest fight to date but there's just no betting against him yet. Mark is awesome but he's also aggressive enough to get caught by Jose's strikes.

Aldo by TKO, rd 2.

Randy "The Natural" Couture vs. Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida: Randy demanded this fight. WTH? He must see something he can exploit, like maybe getting Machida to the canvas right away and slowing him down by wearing him out. I'm aggressively rooting for him tonight.... but.... youth and speed will retire Captain America in dramatic form.

The Dragon by KTFO, rd 2. :(

Georges "Rush" St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields: Shields has the edge on the ground but that edge is nowhere near as big as GSP's advantage while standing. They both have great cardio. Awesome matchup. Shields will need a GSP mistake to win though. GSP doesn't make mistakes anymore.

GSP by TKO, rd 5.

(Edited to change the GSP stoppage from rd3 to rd 5. Jake's hard to finish.)

Edited by Chachie

UFC 129: Will We Be Impressed by GSP Pah-4-mantz?

Nate Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald: I think Macdonald may be slightly more well rounded. Very hard fight to call, literally no outcome of this fight would surprise me. Definitely more of a fan of MacDonald, as I think he can make some serious noise at 170 in a couple of years. I think both fighters will have their moments in this fight, but MacDonald will get a takedown or two that gives him the edge in winning rounds.

MacDonald by Split Decision

Ben Henderson vs. Mark Bocek: Bocek is enjoying a nice little run as of late.Should this fight hit the ground, Bocek will definitely challenge the notion that Henderson is unsubmittable. Benson's best shot is to use his wrestling in reverse to keep it standing, where he should have a nice edge on Bocek. I think Benson won't go to the ground unless he's already cracked Bocek with something hard.

Henderson by (T)KO, Round 2

Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz: Not quite sure how this made the main card

Brilz by Unanimous Decision

Lyoto Machida vs. Randy Couture: Nightmare matchup for the old man, not sure what he was thinking in asking for this fight. In order to execute his game, Randy will have to close the distance on a man who's twice as fast at the current stages of their careers. "Wall & Stall" is really Couture's only shot and he'll have to tread through dangerous waters to get there. Even if it gets to that point, I'm not sure I like Couture's ability to get it to the ground. Machida's defensive wrestling is highly underrated, in fact, I can't remember him being taken down with wrestling shot, or from the clinch.

Machida by (T)KO, Round 1

Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick: Hominick has the striking to make this interesting, but he's never beat an elite fighter. His abilities suggest he should be better than what he is, but its never quite come together for him against higher levels of opposition. Aldo has shown very little weakness in any area of his game, and is still getting better. The only concern for me is how he responds from the injury that sidelined him. If he's not hampered, by the injury, I don't see Hominick showing him anything he can't handle. He spent alot of time training with Andy Souwer for this fight, so I'm not certain how Hominick will be able to surprise him on the feet. Personally I would love it if Aldo displayed his ground game in this fight, but I think he'll look to prove a point by outstriking the striker.

Aldo by (T)KO, Round 3

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields: GSP is infinitely better striking than Shields, and honestly, I don't he's that far behind Shields on the ground. I don't like Shield's cardio at 170. I think he'll gas after repeated failed takedown attempts, and GSP will finally get his finish. Shields is a good fighter, but this is a bad matchup for him. With GSP not really having to worry about Shield's standing, it allows him to devote more time to figuring out how to shut down Shields' game. I see Shields tiring around late round 2, and being battered on the feet and stopped early in the 3rd.

GSP by (T)KO, Round 3

Edited by StillUnknown