Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Former super middleweight world champion Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy read with interest last Friday’s edition of the USA Today newspaper in which Strikeforce Champions’ Nick Diaz challenged him to a boxing match.

"Honestly, I was a little stunned. Nick has accomplished a great deal in mixed martial arts and is certainly one of the best in the sport. But getting in the ring with me for a boxing match is a path he needs to be very wary of taking. I’m willing to put it all on the line anytime, anywhere!" said the St. Petersburg resident.

"For the right price, I’m more than interested in heading to his turf and put my fist in his mouth and silencing him."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/4/18/2118656/jeff-lacys-manager-50-50-purse-split-with-nick-diaz-fair

I'll believe it when I see it, but if he somehow pulled out a win against Machida, that would be a great time to quit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6385203

Randy Couture eyeing final fight

Win, lose or draw, UFC legend Randy "The Natural" Couture expects his fight versus Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 on April 30 to be the final time he steps into the Octagon.

"I believe this is my last fight," Couture told ESPN.com on Monday. "I know the UFC is probably going to have other ideas, especially with acquiring Strikeforce and all that. They're probably going to try to draw me into another fight but I don't think that's going to happen. I want to stick to my guns and this is the last one."

The light heavyweight tilt, Couture's 30th professional mixed martial arts contest, is scheduled to take place in front of over 55,000 fans in Toronto's Rogers Centre. Couture's career began in May 1997 at UFC 13. Four bouts later he defeated Maurice Smith to become the UFC heavyweight champion. Couture (19-10) won the heavyweight title three times, and also added two light heavyweight championships.

Couture, who turns 48 in June, holds UFC records for most title reigns (six) and most championship fights (15). With his win versus Tim Sylvia in March 2007 -- his comeback fight after retiring for 13 months -- Couture, at the age of 43, became the oldest fighter to win a UFC title.

"I will miss the competition immensely but I want to go out on my terms," Couture said. "I want to go out when I think it's time to go out and not because I lost this fight or lost that fight or because I had an injury that precludes me from training the way I want to train.

"I want to make the decision on my own."

Couture said he will remain active in mixed martial arts as a trainer and personality, and lend his voice to issues surrounding fighters' rights as the need arises. In recent years, Couture has focused on acting. He is scheduled to shoot the sequel to last summer's Sylvester Stallone-led vehicle "The Expendables 2" this August.

Josh Gross covers mixed martial arts for ESPN.com.

I'll believe it when I see it, but if he somehow pulled out a win against Machida, that would be a great time to quit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6385203

I had heard a lot of rumors about this in the last few weeks. I know he really wanted to fight Machida and that he wanted to fight on this card since it is arguably the biggest ever (at least attendance-wise) in a sport that he has been such a big part of for so long. But I think he is done after this fight, win or lose.

:rotflmao:

Click link to view hilarious pics

http://thegarv.com/Fedor-s-Sweater-The-Return.html

Fedor's favorite sweater is back! The striped beauty was spotted last Sunday as Fedor attended church, and the photographed above appeared on a Russian website. This sweater is famous in MMA circles. The colors are timeless (this year's white in fact), and in the following pics you will see Fedor, along with other MMA stars, wearing what is arguably the greatest sweater of all time! Enjoy.

fedor_emelianenko_sweater_2-610x457.jpg

sweaterufcmag.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Should be a good fight but I think Barboza's going to run through him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/671397-ufc-134-ross-pearson-vs-edson-barboza-set-for-rio

UFC 134: Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza Set for Rio

The card for UFC in Rio at UFC 134 is starting to take shape.

Now a lightweight bout between British fighter, Ross Pearson (12-4), and Brazilian-born, Edson Barboza (8-0), is set for UFC 134 as confirmed by UFC.com.

"Undefeated 8-0 Brazilian sensation Edson Barboza takes on Ultimate Fighter 9 winner Ross 'The Real Deal' Pearson," said UFC president, Dana White.

Pearson is coming off of a unanimous decision victory over Spencer Fisher at UFC 127 in Australia.

Barboza though is coming off of a "Fight of the Night" performance against Anthony Njokuani at UFC 128. Barboza won by unanimous decision.

The card for UFC in Rio now appears as follows:

UFC 134, UFC in Rio

Middleweight Championship Bout—Anderson Silva (C, 28-4) vs. Yushin Okami (26-5)

Light Heavyweight Bout—Forrest Griffin (18-6) vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-5)

Light Heavyweight Bout—Luiz Cane (11-3) vs. Stanislav Nedkov (11-0)

Lightweight Bout—Thiago Tavares (15-4-1) vs. Spencer Fisher (24-7)

Lightweight Bout—Ross Pearson (12-4) vs. Edson Barboza (8-0)

Belfort to fight Akiyama at UFC 133

UFC 133 will feature an explosive middleweight encounter between Yoshihiro Akiyama and Vitor Belfort, ESPN can exclusively reveal.

Speculation has mounted over the timing and identity of Belfort's next opponent, with UFC Rio widely touted for his return following defeat to Anderson Silva. The names of Michael Bisping and Wanderlei Silva have been linked in recent times, although Silva is now slated to fight Chris Leben at UFC 132, and the UFC has officially confirmed The Phenom's next challenge for August 6.

"Verbal agreements are in for a battle between two of the most exciting fighters in the middleweight division," UFC president Dana White told ESPN.

"Coming off three straight Fight of the Night performances, Yoshihiro Akiyama will take on former UFC light-heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort in Philadelphia."

Like Belfort, Akiyama is coming off a loss - to Bisping - but his last three wars have all gone to a third round. By contrast, Belfort's last three encounters have all ended inside the opening stanza via knockout. Something has to give.

The middleweight showdown bolsters a card already boasting a middleweight collision between Jorge Rivera and Alessio Sakara and the next outing of exciting 20-year-old bantamweight Michael McDonald against Nick Pace.

Forrest Griffin makes entirely no sense to me. Some fights he looks legit like after beating Shogun and Rampage back to back. In those fights he proves to have a strong chin and his game plan makes sense. Then he gets absolutely annihilated by Evans and Silva. Perhaps he just can't handle fighters with tremendous speed? That wouldn't explain him getting KOd by Jardine though. It just seems that with Griffin you never really know what you're going to get.

He's like a box of chocolates. ;)

Mayhem's back

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/22/jason-mayhem-miller-signs-with-ufc/

Jason "Mayhem" Miller is going back to the UFC.

The popular middleweight has signed a new multi-fight agreement with the organization, Miller's manager Ryan Parsons confirmed with MMA Fighting.

The 30-year-old Miller (24-7, 1 NC) was able to sign with the UFC due to the fact that his contract with Strikeforce had expired. No word just yet on when his first fight back inside the Octagon will take place.

"Mayhem" had not competed for Strikeforce since last April when he defeated Tim Stout on the undercard of Strikeforce: Nashville. He went on to defeat one of his MMA idols, Kazushi Sakuraba, at DREAM.16 in September, which stands as his last fight to date.

He was close to returning to action against the likes of Nick Diaz and Tim Kennedy, but for various reasons, some even still unknown, those fights never materialized.

The star of MTV's Bully Beatdown last fought for the UFC in 2005 when he dropped a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre. Two years later, Miller returned to Zuffa, defeating Hiromitsu Miura via unanimous decision at WEC 27.

Miller was a guest on a recent episode of The MMA Hour, and he appeared excited at the prospect of facing some of the UFC's best middleweights.

"I will beat the brakes off most of the guys in the middleweight divisions in the UFC," he said. "I guaran-damn-tee it."

Mayhem doesn't deserve either fighter.

General thoughts on 185

I think Bisping-Sonnen makes the most sense of the contenders.

Wand-Belfort rematch in Brazil would have been so awesome. I'm pissed Dana let Wandy have the Leben fight instead.

I agree with SU on Akiyama. He must have pictures of Joe Silva cross-dressing.

Too bad Marquartd couldn't get it done and is running down to 170. I thought he had a chance to make at 185. That is going to be a tough cut for him. I remember him manhandling Kampmann at 185 and sending Kampmann down to 170. I don't know how Nate is going to make 170.

I say give Mayhem Alan Belcher.

What's Maia up to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLr6De5IsOo&feature=related

2:34 anyone know who/what/how etc happened to do the dude that was kissing his belly button

That was Dan Miller's famous guillotine choke. The guy just got choked out, he was okay afterward. He fought one more fight after that and lost. I think he's retired from MMA now. The victim's name is Dave Philips.

Booooo

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23365/jon-jones-injured-phil-davis-vs-rashad-evans-now-targeted-for-ufc-133.mma

Jon Jones injured, Phil Davis vs. Rashad Evans now targeted for UFC 133

With UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) injured, UFC officials now are targeting a bout between the champ's original opponent, Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC), and replacement Phil Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

Sources today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the new matchup, which is expected to take place at UFC 133. The Canadian Press' Neil Davidson first reported the opponent switch.

A source told MMAjunkie.com that Jones is facing a lengthy recovery from a torn right-hand ligament suffered in his title win. A timetable for his return wasn't immediately available.

Jones' manager, Malki Kawa, declined to comment on the report.

Although not officially announced, UFC 133 is expected to take place Aug. 6 in Philadelphia. The main card is expected to air on pay-per-view.

The change of plans means another speed bump in Evans' request to reclaim the UFC's light-heavyweight title.

Evans had been in line to fight then-champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128 before a knee injury forced Evans off the card. As Rua healed from his own knee injury, Evans sat out nearly a year waiting for the title shot rather than taking a non-championship bout and risking his shot at the belt. But when he lost the slot due to injury, UFC officials gave it to Jones following his early-February victory over fellow top prospect Ryan Bader at UFC 126.

Jones won the title from Rua in dominant fashion at UFC 128, which set up a meeting with Evans, a former training partner with whom he's now had a very public fallout.

But rather than Jones, Evans next will fight Davis, a former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion. Davis is 9-0 in his pro career, and the past five fights have come in the UFC. With victories over Brian Stann, Alexander Gustafsson, Rodney Wallace and Tim Boetsch, he began drawing comparisons to Jones. In this past month's UFC Fight Night 24 headliner, Davis scored one of his biggest wins yet: a hard-fought unanimous-decision victory over notable Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

For the latest on UFC 133, stay to tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Phil Davis is raw and his cardio appears suspect for a wrestler. However he has been fighting professionally since 2008 like Jon Jones and he has fought 5 UFC fights including a win over gatekeeper little Nog. He earned a step up in competition that could lead to a title shot. You'd be hard pressed to pick a worse match-up stylistically for Davis who at times is too much of a lumbering wrestler (when his twitch muscle fails to get oxygen) but if you want to make a name in MMA you have to beat the big name fighter when you get the chance. This is his chance.

Edited by Destino

Phil Davis is raw and his cardio appears suspect for a wrestler. However he has been fighting professionally since 2008 like Jon Jones and he has fought 5 UFC fights including a win over gatekeeper little Nog. He earned a step up in competition that could lead to a title shot. You'd be hard pressed to pick a worse match-up stylistically for Davis who at times is too much of a lumbering wrestler (when his twitch muscle fails to get oxygen) but if you want to make a name in MMA you have to beat the big name fighter when you get the chance. This is his chance.

I like that lumbering description. Rashad has a big advantage with the hands here. Speed, power, elusiveness...Davis' hands are the rawest part of his game. On the other hand his kicking game looks pretty darn good to be honest, but I think Rashad can quite possibly take Davis out. Don't see it the other way around, easier to see a Davis decision if it goes his way.

The universal disrespect of Rashad is absolutely fascinating to me. Because of that zombie picture, of course from getting caught by Machida, he's seemingly been written off in MMA fan circles. The guy is especially quick, keeps constant head movement, has very good footwork... The dude generates strikes from that new-found power stance and can end anyone's night. A great wrestling base as well? Don't sleep on Rashad Evans.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll