Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Cain vs. Overeem: not sure what would happen, depends on how Overeem reacts to being in with a great wrestler (when's the last time he fought one?)

Jones vs. Hendo: It would get ugly for Hendo. I could see Jones submitting him or possibly stopping him with ground n pound.

Jacare vs. Anderson: it wouldn't happen as they train together, but if it did, Anderson stops him late. Jacare has better takedowns than Maia and is more athletic, but he tends to tire as the fight is extended.

Diaz vs. GSP: 5 rounds of takedowns and modest ground n pound for GSP

Melendez vs. Edgar: I have no idea how this fight would turn out, but damn I hope to see it one day

Overeem vs. Cain: would be an awesome matchup, hard for me to pick a winner, I don't think we've ever seen Ubereem vs. a really dominant wrestler.

Jones vs. Hendo: I think Hendo would get subbed w/ a choke from top position (unless he can land an H-bomb to Jones' chin first)

Jacare vs. Anderson: sucks that we will never see this one. Jacare would be a good matchup, but I think Anderson would KO him eventually, plus I would rather see Paul Harris' grappling style against Anderson than Jacare's, I think it's a better matchup.

Diaz vs. GSP: takedowns + GnP city for sure, terrible matchup for Diaz.

Melendez vs. Edgar: would be an awesome fight, but I think Edgar would outbox and outwrestle Melendez to a UD

That was worth it just for the last shot. :ols:

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

Fixed. :box:

Lol, we'll see about that.

I have GSP winning at this point, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Shields pulled it off. I think he's being overhyped a little by the UFC hype train but what do you expect.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 12:57 PM ----------

I don't see striking playing a huge role in the fight. Dan Henderson is a far better striker than GSP and a more than competent wrestler and he lost to Jake Shields.

GSP is a more technical striker than Henderson. Hendo is just very good at defending his chin and has awesome KO power in his right hand. He was close as **** to finishing Jake Shields in the first round of that fight. I actually don't know how he didn't. GSP should have a big advantage standing.

Edited by #98QBKiller

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/royce-gracies-ufc-return?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bjpenndotcom+%28BJPENN.COM+NEWS+BLOGS%29

MMA pioneer Royce Gracie has long been rumored to be fighting on the UFC's card in Rio this summer, but it looks like rumors may in fact be turning to reality. In an interview given to UOL Esportes, Royce addressed the possibility of returning to Brazil this summer to fight in the UFC.

"It would be the perfect place to do my last fight. I never fought in Rio de Janeiro and I couldn't be more psyched. We are negotiating [the fight deal], but we should have it finalized in two weeks. We only had an initial contact and I don't even have an opponent yet, but we should have that finalized soon" said the 44 year old Gracie.

Gracie's last appearance in the octagon was at UFC 60 when he was defeated by Matt Hughes via first round TKO, although Gracie did go on to defeat Kazushi Sakuraba at the K-1 Dynamite USA show one year later. Following the fight, Royce's urine sample given to the CSAC was found to have high levels of the steroid Nandralone, although he denied ever taking any banned substance. Since then, Gracie has been inactive from MMA competition, but maintains that he's in just as good of shape as he ever was.

"My weight is the same as it was twenty years ago [80kg], I am still training, keeping the blade sharp. I follow a very strict diet. I never drank, never party, Carnaval, none of that... I'm ready to fight"

The UFC's return to Brazil is expected to take place August 27th from the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro and is rumored to feature a middleweight title fight between Anderson Silva and Yushin Okami.

Still a little bit away, but I think GSP finishes Shields here. GSP is athletically peaking, I don't see Shields shutting GSP's unflappable game down, he's just always on offense and always in control. Especially with GSP's perceived standup advantage. He loves to attack his opponents where they are their weakest. I see superman punches landing, followed up by leg kicks and jabs Shields can't react to. A kickboxing match, early on, more or less.

And I'd say Unanimous Decision, but Jake will be feeling that weight cut again, especially when GSP starts to sense it and goes all Sean Taylor on him. I just see Jake constantly being on defense other than, duh, looking for a takedown the entire fight. Subber's chance? Man, even that I'd be shocked at, but crazier things have happened I guess. I just think GSP is in a league of his own.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Still a little bit away, but I think GSP finishes Shields here. GSP is athletically peaking, I don't see Shields shutting GSP's unflappable game down, he's just always on offense and always in control. Especially with GSP's perceived standup advantage. He loves to attack his opponents where they are their weakest. I see superman punches landing, followed up by leg kicks and jabs Shields can't react to. A kickboxing match, early on, more or less.

And I'd say Unanimous Decision, but Jake will be feeling that weight cut again, especially when GSP starts to sense it and goes all Sean Taylor on him. I just see Jake constantly being on defense other than, duh, looking for a takedown the entire fight. Subber's chance? Man, even that I'd be shocked at, but crazier things have happened I guess. I just think GSP is in a league of his own.

I agree.

If GSP boxes like he did against Koscheck I think he'll finish Shields standing.

I love the Sean Taylor reference. And after reading this, I see the fight going the same way. Jake is prepping for GSP, but GSP is prepping for Jake, and for Jake's prep.

Also, technically Okami is the last person Anderson Silva lost against, and I'm pretty sure Jake Shields has a longer win streak than Anderson.

Edited by styx491

For all those holding your breathe for a GSP Silva super fight, STOP.

GSP Vs. Silva On Hold; Anderson Silva To Face Yushin Okami At 'UFC: Rio'

UFC President Dana White confirmed to USA Today that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will be making his ninth title defense against top contender Yushin Okami this summer at UFC: Rio.

Silva and Okami have fought once before, at Rumble on the Rock 8 in 2006 with Okami being granted the win via disqualification after The Spider knocked him out with an upkick while his knees were still on the mat, an illegal move. The bout with Okami was the last time that Silva had tasted defeat.

click link for rest of article.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2011/0414/538612/anderson-silva/

I love this fight and the fact that it is in Rio. And in other UFC Rio news the return of the King......

Could We See Royce Gracie vs. Art Jimmerson At “UFC: Rio?”

link to article: http://cagepages.com/2011/04/13/could-we-see-royce-gracie-vs-art-jimmerson-at-ufc-rio/

Royce has been talking to the media in Brazil and says he will fight at UFC Rio in August, the only thing not sure is who he will face.

Everyone is talking about the Toronto card being big, but I think Rio is going to blow 129 in Toronto out of the water. Even if they do not add any other fighters, sign me up to pay $50 for a PPV of Silva & Royce, and I have a feeling Dana is waiting to see what happens in the Aldo-Hominick fight before announcing that Aldo will be fighting at Rio as well, but I think that a Aldo fight on that card is pretty much a sure thing.

Could We See Royce Gracie vs. Art Jimmerson At “UFC: Rio?”

link to article: http://cagepages.com/2011/04/13/could-we-see-royce-gracie-vs-art-jimmerson-at-ufc-rio/

Royce has been talking to the media in Brazil and says he will fight at UFC Rio in August, the only thing not sure is who he will face.

Everyone is talking about the Toronto card being big, but I think Rio is going to blow 129 in Toronto out of the water. Even if they do not add any other fighters, sign me up to pay $50 for a PPV of Silva & Royce, and I have a feeling Dana is waiting to see what happens in the Aldo-Hominick fight before announcing that Aldo will be fighting at Rio as well, but I think that a Aldo fight on that card is pretty much a sure thing.

Royce vs. Art Jimmerson would be a hilarious fight to put on the Rio card. They should try to bring in Sakuraba for a rubber match (especially since Royce pissed hot after their 2nd match).

they're also putting Edson Barboza vs. Takanori Gomi on the Rio card

Hot ****!!

Edited by #98QBKiller

Yeah, seemingly conscienceless courage to wade in to the craziest challenge he can find, that's Nick. All that BJJ talent and he not only rarely uses it anymore, but goes to a combat sport where he can't use it.

Have to admire the brass ballage going on here, but I can help but be a little concerned for his MMA career. There's an obvious bitterness towards the state of the sport from him right now, and it's pretty clear it has to do with the merger. That interview with Helwani where he started talking about lay and pray and Pride was the first hint. He got quite heated up about that out of nowhere. Now he's complaining about money and got pissed at Strikeforce in the post fight interview.

Coker's cheeks get red and he gets all jiggly when people bring up Diaz complaining about money. He always real quick with the response, "Trust me, Nick is doing fine, he can buy any car or house in the 209 area code."

There's an obvious rift there, and on the UFC side of the ball, Dana White simply cannot trust him to abide by a certain code of conduct. Even if that is semi-hypocritical. Nick, for all the hoopla surrounding him right now, is in a tight spot with his MMA career. I just hope he doesn't ditch town and head towards Japan; I can see that happening.

To me, this boxing thing is perhaps mostly the thirst for a challenge, but there is a posturing complex towards MMA there, as well.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I also don't think he has any interest in fighting wrestlers. Woodley would be next in line for the SF belt, and although the general public does not know him, he is a pretty darn good fighter. But he is a wrestler. I am not saying that Nick is dodging him, and I know that Nick wants bigger challenges at this point in his career. Nick does not have a lot to gain from a Woodley fight, but I think it is a lot more dangerous than most think because of the wrestling aspect. Nick is a hell of a fighter, but when was the last time he fought someone with a wrestling base? Sherk?

Whether he likes it or not, wrestling is a facet of MMA. And until he fights and beats a top wrestler or two, its hard for me to have him as high as he probably deserves to be in my world renowned (:)) pound for pound rankings.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Rio-Draws-Shogun-Griffin-Rematch-31643

A light heavyweight rematch between former champions Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (Pictured) and Forrest Griffin is reportedly being targeted for the UFC’s return to Brazil.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the rumored matchup with MMAFighting.com on Friday. While not officially announced by the promotion, UFC “Rio” is scheduled to go down Aug. 27 from the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The event marks the UFC’s first trip to Brazil since 1998 and will likely be headlined by a middleweight title confrontation between dominant champion Anderson Silva and No. 1 contender Yushin Okami.

Shogun and Griffin first met in 2007 at UFC 76. Entering the UFC after a superior run in Pride Fighting Championships, Rua was heavily favored against Griffin. The original winner of “The Ultimate Fighter” proved the bookmakers wrong, however, as Griffin dominated the bout with his wrestling and cardio. Griffin took his foe’s back in the third frame and cinched a fight-ending rear-naked choke with only 15 seconds remaining in the contest.

Since that bout, both men have won and lost the UFC’s light heavyweight title. Griffin won it in his very next bout, outpointing Quinton “Rampage” Jackson to lift the coveted strap. However, he surrendered the belt in his first defense, succumbing to Rashad Evans at UFC 92. Evans then lost the title to Lyoto Machida, who in turn dropped it to Shogun. Like Griffin, the Brazilian was then defeated in his first defense of the title, as current divisional ruler Jon Jones dominated Rua to snatch the strap away at UFC 128 in March.

Yeah, I figured that rematch would be coming in the near future. I hope Shogun avenges his loss, but the size difference worries me a little. Either way, that is going to be a tremendous card. Except for the Gracie thing. I respect the man immensely, but I don't really have a desire to see him in the octagon again at this point. Maybe his fight will stream on Facebook? :)

Yeah, I figured that rematch would be coming in the near future. I hope Shogun avenges his loss, but the size difference worries me a little. Either way, that is going to be a tremendous card. Except for the Gracie thing. I respect the man immensely, but I don't really have a desire to see him in the octagon again at this point. Maybe his fight will stream on Facebook? :)

Well, the way I look at it Royce is on the card not for the PPV people, but for the Brazilian fans. Think about how many Brazilians have had great success in the UFC & MMA in general, and the last time they got a top notch wold class event was when Royce was still relevant. Kinda like the Toronto card that has some questionable Canadian fighters on the card (thank God UFC lost Carlos Newton's number), those fights aren't for the PPV crowd but the fans in attendance.

I can see them putting Royce on the PPV, just because that in itself is a story, but I think he will be on the under card and if the fight is good they will tack it onto the end of the PPV. I don't see Dana taking a risk like giving Gracie a headline fight in case the fight is really bad, but I can see him using it to get more press if the Gracie fight ends up being any good.

Forrest Griffin makes entirely no sense to me. Some fights he looks legit like after beating Shogun and Rampage back to back. In those fights he proves to have a strong chin and his game plan makes sense. Then he gets absolutely annihilated by Evans and Silva. Perhaps he just can't handle fighters with tremendous speed? That wouldn't explain him getting KOd by Jardine though. It just seems that with Griffin you never really know what you're going to get.

Well, the way I look at it Royce is on the card not for the PPV people, but for the Brazilian fans. Think about how many Brazilians have had great success in the UFC & MMA in general, and the last time they got a top notch wold class event was when Royce was still relevant. Kinda like the Toronto card that has some questionable Canadian fighters on the card (thank God UFC lost Carlos Newton's number), those fights aren't for the PPV crowd but the fans in attendance.

I can see them putting Royce on the PPV, just because that in itself is a story, but I think he will be on the under card and if the fight is good they will tack it onto the end of the PPV. I don't see Dana taking a risk like giving Gracie a headline fight in case the fight is really bad, but I can see him using it to get more press if the Gracie fight ends up being any good.

Oh, absolutely, I am fine with that. But I have a feeling that Gracie will not be on the undercard. It is a tough situation. He really is one of the fathers of the sport and the crowd will go crazy for him. But he will not have a competitive opponent and Gracie himself has not been competitive in years. But I don't think they would be doing this to put him on the undercard. I don't think Gracie would do it to be on the undercard.

Oh well, it can't be a worse fight that Hughes and Renzo Gracie.

UFC Rio is going to be awesome. Shogun should be much more competitive than he was the first time around, he usually takes a fight or two to recover from these knee surgeries. I also think they'll find a can for Royce and put him on the main card. He's too much of an icon to delegate to the undercard. Personally, I'd like to see Rickson come out of retirement and armbar someone.