Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Diaz looked like that against Gray. Take a pounding and catch a sub. I always predicted that Manny would win if it goes to decision.

Also like I said, Penn by any way he want. Pulver was at the end of his career and moving down a weight class. Compared to BJ coming down from 170 and still in the game.

Diaz also looked like that against Corey Hill, who was easily winning the fight standing, then got a little too confident and went for a takedown and got choked out.

i think Diaz is a good fighter, but if manny doesn't dislocate his shoulder i believe Manny wins that fight

Greg Maynard arguing with Rogan was pure comedy :laugh:

i hope BJ stays @ 155, i think him and Sherk would be a good match.

Jens fighting at 145 in the WEC will be good.

*spoilers*

I called the Cole vs Wang and Penn vs Pulver fights on the money. Cole Round 1 by KO and Penn round 2 by submission.

Grey trying to convince Joe he wasn't knocked out was pretty sad. And yeah, that comment by BJ at the end of the fight was pretty lame. As for Manny vs Diaz, personally, I think Manny would of gassed. He was already looking worn out at the start of the 2nd.

In any case, I'm sure there will be a rematch.

Not a bad night for a free event.

For anyone who cares Frank Mir and Babalu Sobral fought in a submission wrestling match for some promotion called Tuff N Uff on Friday. It was only a 6 minute match and Sobral won on points. Its sad that Mir's career has come to this.

BTW, **** Nate for acting like he won anything. He lucked out.

I watched that fight and I have to disagree. Manny wasn't doing **** to Nate. He did the same lame ass crap he did a few times during TUF, be heavy on top and stay there. He beat Joe by basically by playing the clock. He'd put his face in Joe's gut and throw some wild punches every now and then to avoid the ref standing them up.

He wasn't hurting Nate at all and Nate looked perfectly comfortable with Manny in his guard. If you watched TUF you'd know Nate never looks dominating, he sits back and throws submission after submission until one sinks in.

Manny wasn't dominating that fight unless you think being on top automatically means winning. I don't. Looking at the two Nate looked like it was just another day at the office the whole first round. He almost got Manny in two different submissions between peppering his head with punches from his back.

As for the Penn fight.. I noticed Penn didn't let go of the choke for a while. I don't like that kind of crap.

I watched that fight and I have to disagree. Manny wasn't doing **** to Nate. He did the same lame ass crap he did a few times during TUF, be heavy on top and stay there. He beat Joe by basically by playing the clock. He'd put his face in Joe's gut and throw some wild punches every now and then to avoid the ref standing them up.

He wasn't hurting Nate at all and Nate looked perfectly comfortable with Manny in his guard. If you watched TUF you'd know Nate never looks dominating, he sits back and throws submission after submission until one sinks in.

Manny wasn't dominating that fight unless you think being on top automatically means winning. I don't. Looking at the two Nate looked like it was just another day at the office the whole first round. He almost got Manny in two different submissions between peppering his head with punches from his back.

As for the Penn fight.. I noticed Penn didn't let go of the choke for a while. I don't like that kind of crap.

Well, I must in turn disagree with you. Manny certainly won the first. The reason I think that Manny had a good chance of winning was because Nate was having issues with his short and strong arms. I doubt he was going to be able to pull a kimura or americana unless Manny completely gassed, which he had yet to do. And, as far as being comfortable in his guard; that's great and all, but judges don't award points for being in your guard. Had that fight continued free of injury, I think Manny would have won by decision.

As for Penn holding the choke too long; yes, he definitely did. These two did hate each other though, and all the **** talking culminated into very bad blood, at least on BJ's part.

And, as far as being comfortable in his guard; that's great and all, but judges don't award points for being in your guard. Had that fight continued free of injury, I think Manny would have won by decision.

That is why I dislike Manny as a fighter. He doesn't finish or really even try to finish. He is heavy on top and goes for decision. It looked to me that Nate would have eventually sunk in a triangle.

That is why I dislike Manny as a fighter. He doesn't finish or really even try to finish. He is heavy on top and goes for decision. It looked to me that Nate would have eventually sunk in a triangle.

Well, I don't think it's Manny's fault though. His competition is always bigger than him. I think he tries to knock his opponents out, but he just can't. He's supposed to be a judo badass like his cousin Karo (not quite at Karo's level, of course), but I didn't see him utilize it very much which surprised me. Watching good judo is always exciting in my book.

Nate Diaz loses the first round in every fight. He also wins every fight. I can't predict how he'll do as a UFC fighter with top-notch talent but he would have submitted Manny Gamblahblahblah.

I already stated why I think Nate wouldn't have gotten the sub. Manny's arms are too short and strong. The triangle, as Destino suggested, might've been there, but I'm sure that Karo helped Manny train for this fight, and I'm sure they were well aware of what Nate would try to do after watching all the tape from TUF. I have difficulty believing that he didn't train very, very hard at sub defense.

I already stated why I think Nate wouldn't have gotten the sub. Manny's arms are too short and strong. The triangle, as Destino suggested, might've been there, but I'm sure that Karo helped Manny train for this fight, and I'm sure they were well aware of what Nate would try to do after watching all the tape from TUF. I have difficulty believing that he didn't train very, very hard at sub defense.

Very valid points. I am a Diaz Bros. fan so I probably speak with some allegiance. I just felt like this fight looked like every other Nate Diaz bout. He's tall but he's so light that he gets thrown around and taken down. All of a sudden he wins by sub. He's simply a slow starter and a fast finisher. We'll never know until they do it again.

Anyone here ever heard of Doug "Rhino" Marshall the Light Heavyweight Champ from WEC?

This dude is fun as **** to watch. I saw him defend his title last night against some 6'6" lanky dude and Marshall went to town on this guy.

His fighting style is straight-up brawling. He throw a lot of flurries and seems to have good knock-out power.

Predictions for UFC 73: Stacked...?

I'm going out on a limb to say that Rashad beats Tito by decision.

mmaweekly.com (their rankings in parenthesis)

Main Card Bouts:

-Anderson Silva (#2 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Nathan Marquardt (#7 Middleweight in the World)* -Marquardt will try to get this to the ground quickly. Silva is very underrated on the ground. SIlva will be able to get it back to the feet if it goes to the mat and he will eventually knock Nathan out.

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Heath Herring -same as other two times they've fought. Nog by submission. I really don't understand why this fight was made. We've seen it twice. Nothing to gain here. Would have much rather seen both these guys against other fighters.

-Tito Ortiz (#9 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rashad Evans -I think Rashad is a better wrestker and a better striker. Rashad by knockout. I just read tnat this is Tito's last fight on his contract, and I can very easily see him leaving the UFC after this. It would be great to see him vs. Frank Shamrock again. You know that Tito would love to have that.

-Sean Sherk (#10 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Hermes Franca -I love Franca. I hope he can catch one of Shrek's stubby limbs and submit him. I think he will. Hermes by submission.

-Kenny Florian vs. Alvin Robinson - I don;t know Robinson, so Kenny by submission.

my predicitons for UFC 73:

Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans: i'm callin Rashad to win this by a clear decision. i don't think he'll knock out Ortiz but i hope he does. i think Rashad's striking and explosiveness will create problems for Ortiz

Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt: i see Silva winnin this via KO in the 2nd round. Marquardt has great technical skills and could very well win a lay 'n pray decision, but i think Silva will be able to keep this fight standing long enough to KO him.

Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca: i don't particularly like Sherk, but i don't see him losing this fight. i see him grinding out a decision. Sherk is a good enough and disciplined striker to nullify Francas wild style of punches, and is very hard to submit on the ground. i see a 5rd decision here.

Big Nog vs. Heath Herring: Herring has less than a punchers chance in this fight, i won't say 0% only because of the recent string of upsets in MMA, but Nog should have no problems in this fight. Nog will win by submission mid 1st round or early 2nd.

Florian vs. Robinson: both are great submission artists, so somebody's gettin submitted. i give the nod to florian in round 2, but i won't be surprised if Robinson wins this fight.

my predicitons for UFC 73:

Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans: i'm callin Rashad to win this by a clear decision. i don't think he'll knock out Ortiz but i hope he does. i think Rashad's striking and explosiveness will create problems for Ortiz

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you. I think Tito is a bit more talented than we give him credit for. Rashad hasn't even had a real fight yet. Wasn't his last opponent Sean Salmon? Not to mention, Tito is going nuts over this one. This might be his last chance to truly get at Dana by beating his TUF golden boy. I look for a very close decision.

Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt: i see Silva winning this via KO in the 2nd round. Marquardt has great technical skills and could very well win a lay 'n pray decision, but i think Silva will be able to keep this fight standing long enough to KO him.

I believe that Silva's ground skills are VERY underrated. I too see a KO/TKO, but I predict either a flash knockout in the first, or a destruction of Marquardt through two rounds, and a mercy stoppage by the ref in the 3rd.

Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca: i don't particularly like Sherk, but i don't see him losing this fight. i see him grinding out a decision. Sherk is a good enough and disciplined striker to nullify Francas wild style of punches, and is very hard to submit on the ground. i see a 5rd decision here.

I see a referee stoppage. Franca is wild with his punches, and I see him opening himself up A LOT for Sherk to shoot and possibly slam him. If it makes it past the 3rd, it is going to turn very boring, very fast. But, I believe Sherk will GnP Franca once Franca gasses from being on his back for the first 2 rounds. They'll both gas though if it goes past the third, so I'm hoping either Franca catches Sherk, or Sherk slams Franca on his head early.

Big Nog vs. Heath Herring: Herring has less than a punchers chance in this fight, i won't say 0% only because of the recent string of upsets in MMA, but Nog should have no problems in this fight. Nog will win by submission mid 1st round or early 2nd.

Agree 100%.

Florian vs. Robinson: both are great submission artists, so somebody's gettin submitted. i give the nod to florian in round 2, but i won't be surprised if Robinson wins this fight.

Won't lie. Don't know much about Robinson. While his record is 8-1, with ALL 8 of his wins coming by sub, I don't see a necessarily impressive victory. That of course doesn't mean he can't beat Kenflo (man, I hate that nickname), so I'm going to go with..........a draw. :paranoid:

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you. I think Tito is a bit more talented than we give him credit for. Rashad hasn't even had a real fight yet. Wasn't his last opponent Sean Salmon? Not to mention, Tito is going nuts over this one. This might be his last chance to truly get at Dana by beating his TUF golden boy. I look for a very close decision.

its hard to guage tito because in recent memory we've only seen him dominate an over the hill shamrock 3 times and lose to chuck twice.

and i would disagree abut rashad not fighting anyone, he did completely dominate and finish Jason Lambert who a top 10-15 light heavyweight.

i give tito credit for his skills, but everybody knows he doesn't like to be hit. i'm thinkin that Rashad will catch him with a shot that will make tito a little tentative. obviously tito's best chance is to take the fight to the ground, and if he does i would expect him to get the decision and possible finish the fight. i just don't see rashad being on his back for long if at all in this fight, as he is very good at getting back to his feet when put on the ground.

to recap, i won't be shocked at all if tito wins, i just don't think he will

I believe that Silva's ground skills are VERY underrated. I too see a KO/TKO, but I predict either a flash knockout in the first, or a destruction of Marquardt through two rounds, and a mercy stoppage by the ref in the 3rd.

Silva's ground game is underrated but it won't be any good against Marquardt. Marquardt was able to avoid every submission Dean Lister (one the best submission artists in the world, not just mma) threw at him. Silva would be better served usin his bjj to get back to his feet and not spend time trying to catch Marquardt in a submission that won't happen.:2cents:

and i would disagree abut rashad not fighting anyone, he did completely dominate and finish Jason Lambert who a top 10-15 light heavyweight.

IMO, maybe top 15, but that could be said about a decent number of fighters.

Silva's ground game is underrated but it won't be any good against Marquardt. Marquardt was able to avoid every submission Dean Lister (one the best submission artists in the world, not just mma) threw at him. Silva would be better served usin his bjj to get back to his feet and not spend time trying to catch Marquardt in a submission that won't happen.:2cents:

I'm not suggesting Silva will "beat" Marquardt on the mat. My point was that the only way people see Silva losing is by submission, pretty much. I'm saying that his ground skills are good enough to keep him out of trouble and get up where he will most likely destroy Marquardt....I have some very knowledgeable MMA friends that genuinely believe Silva is going to lose this fight and that Marquardt is VERY underrated. I just don't see this being a competitive fight, but I've been wrong many times before. :laugh:

IMO, maybe top 15, but that could be said about a decent number of fighters.

I'm not suggesting Silva will "beat" Marquardt on the mat. My point was that the only way people see Silva losing is by submission, pretty much. I'm saying that his ground skills are good enough to keep him out of trouble and get up where he will most likely destroy Marquardt....I have some very knowledgeable MMA friends that genuinely believe Silva is going to lose this fight and that Marquardt is VERY underrated. I just don't see this being a competitive fight, but I've been wrong many times before. :laugh:

Marquardt is extremely talented and well rounded. he is a tough fight for anyone because his game is well-rounded. the problem is that he can be a bit boring at times (this is the reason he only has 1 televised fight in the UFC so far). truth be told, i think ufc management are hopin Silva wins this fight simply because silva is the more exciting fighter of the two.

and if Silva has not improved his takedown D (which was horrendous against Lutter) i could see Marquardt doin a bit of lay 'n pray and getting the a boring decision victory

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! BJ Penn vs Diego "Dirty" Sanchez in August. As if the card wasn't stacked enough. Source: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8155

I guess Diego doesn't mind two losses in a row.

i thought Sanchez was fighting Sakurai on that card, either way he loses tho. :laugh:

to be honest, i'm surprised, yet impressed, that the ufc didn't feed him a can to get his confidence back.

he doesn't have much of a shot against BJ tho, everything Sanchez does, BJ is better. Sanchez's only hope is that BJ gasses, which is entirely possible.:2cents: