Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's the best DT the Redskins ever had?

michael_33

I've only been watching since the late 70's till now...

Although I really like our current situation with Cornelius Griffin,I don't quite think he's the best yet!

Although,I think we can all agree what happens to our defense when he's not in the lineup?

So who's the best DT we ever had...?

But if we were somehow running a 3-4...And I could only have 1....It would be none other than my man.........

DAVE BUTZ! :cheers:

Do you guys agree?or no?

He's gotta be the most underated DT ever....Gotta be!

You also have to give Daryl Gardner some credit as well, even though he was only here one season. He absolutely tore it up in the middle for the one season he was here.

Other than that, I'll say Griffin and Butz are pretty close. The thing that sets Dave apart was his tenacity and mean-streak.

I'll throw another vote on to the Dave Butz pile too. Daryl Grant also was nice, but I think he's remembered mostly for his classic INT return in the '82 Championship game. Not that there is anything wrong with that! :)

Griffin is headed towards the same class as Butz too though, he's a monster in the middle of our DL.

I'd go along with this order. Although neither was with the team for long, I also always likes Jumpy Geathers and Tim Johnson.

I agree with the order, You beat me to Johnson and Jumpy. Johnson was not flashy just solid and consistent.

When Geathers was here he was almost unstoppable. I have never seen anyone crush a pocket like he did. It was men against boys.

Dave Butz, Coy Bacon, Tony McGee, Diron Talbert, Cornelius Griffin, & Big Joe

Coy Bacon and Tony McGee were both pass-rushing DEs, not DTs. In the last thirty years or so I would say Butz, Talbert, Griffin, Darryl Grant, and Jumpy Geathers for the forklift move/collapsing the pocket as a situational rusher. Tim Johnson and Eric Williams were solid players. Gardener had one good year.

On the disappointing side, Dan Wilkinson, Sean Gilbert, and Dana Stubblefield all were a waste of a lot of talent.

On the disappointing side, Dan Wilkinson, Sean Gilbert, and Dana Stubblefield all were a waste of a lot of talent.

That sure is a lot wasted money and draft picks sitting on that list!

A little help, what was Jumpy's signature bull rush called?

It's kinda sad to say that there aren't a whole lot of guys to choose from who were with the team for any length of time. Of all the guys that have been mentioned I'd say only Talbert, Butz, Wilkerson and Grant were here long enough (or actually played DT or played it full-time) to be considered the best ever.

I loved Talbert but Butz was the man.

It should be, "AFTER Dave Butz, who was the best Redskins DT ever?"

For me, it would be Talbert, then Grant, then Johnson.

Butz' here career was better than any other two, combined.

Archived