Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's the best DT the Redskins ever had?

michael_33

That's it right there!!!With the rules and refs they have today, players can't express that mean-streak without costing the team hugh yardage :(

Butz was always especially "harsh" against his first team, the Cardinals. He held a grudge that went deep. You'd almost feel sorry for their center and the guard lining up across from him!

Cool thread. It's always nice to hear from the older guys who know more about players I wasn't around yet to see. Anyway, Butz was the man, but I really like Griff. Can you imagine if Griff had Mann and Manley around him. That would be an awesome line. Why did the Giants let Griff go? I remember the media pundits blasting the skins when we picked him up. He's been nothing short of awesome.

Easily Butz, although I never understand how Darryl Grant gets no love around here. He played 139 games for us, had multiple 100+ tackle season and made one of the most important plays in recent team history

No doubt that Diron Talbert (72) and Dave Butz (65) top the list...

Talbert teamed with Bill Brundige (77) and Butz teamed with Daryl Grant (77) both should get a "high" honorable mention.

Tim Johnson (78)

Eric Williams (75)

were both very solid DT's who performed for our Skins'

A very respectable with a lot of "High Hopes" goes to Salvea (95) and Griffin (96) on today's DT lineup! I personally think a lot of the two of them! and feel that we're very solid in the middle with both of them in the lineup!

Talbert was the most complete DT in terms of run support and pass rush.

Dave Butz, though, did it for 16 years in the NFL and always seemed to save his best games for Dallas and those in the postseason when the Skins just shut down opposing rushers.

Butz was 6'7 and 310 in an era where defensive tackles were still playing in the 265 range :)

George Allen did a nice job of accumulating a core of then younger players the team used later to win the championship that eluded him. His problem was he wasn't interested in seeing these players on the field until they had been on the bench 'learning' for several years.

You simply don't see players like Butz in this league anymore. I guess they make anyone with that kind of sheer size into an Offensive Tackle these days, and that takes away a bit of the aggression factor that you see with DT's.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Butz on the Redskin's bench in RFK when I was about 8 or 9. My parents were acting as Chaperones for our high school band, who were playing the halftime show. Our seats were actualy on the terf, which sucked as we could not see over all of the cameramen etc on the sideline. We listened on walkmen and occasionally saw the ball fly over everyone on a pass or punt. My brother and I got to sit on the team bench to watch the band during the halftime show. As the show was about to end a few players started to trickle back out and the first guy out was Dave Butz. He walked right up to my brother(who was about 4) and I and started talking to us. I don't remember anything he said anymore, but I do remember that helmet. He put his helmet on my head and somebody took my picture, which I really wish I still had. I remember the helmet was like sticking my head into a trash can it was so big! LOL! Since that day Dave Butz was always my favorite.

No Dana Stubblefield or Big Daddy Wilkinson???

Stubby played ony 3 average seasons with the Skins. The first season he only played in 7 games. Wilkinson played for 5 unspectacular and sometimes inconsistant seasons. Butz 14 and Talbert 10 iseasons in the middle of the Skins D!

Dave Butz is easily the best Redskin DT of all time followed by "World" Grant. Griffin will move past Grant in my opinion if he puts up another good season this year. As far as the worst Redskin DT's of all time. Stubblefield, Wilkinson, Gilbert and Rocker have already been mentioned and I will throw in the name Romeo Bandison. I will never forget the penalty he had in a game against the Cardinals during the Norv Turner era that cost us that game. Typical undisciplined Norv Turner/Mike Nolan/Ron Lynn coached player.

Dave Butz by far. Grant was pretty good at taking up a couple of OLmen that allowed for others to have success which needs to be noted. After that everyone else was just here a couple of years or are currently only a couple years into their days as a Redskin. Otherwise you would have to say Stubblefield & Wilkerson (if you include the entire span of their careers).

Archived