Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's the best DT the Redskins ever had?

michael_33

In the 60's, we were all offense (and very good, I might add) but had no defense. Sam Huff was traded to us from the giants, around 1967 or 68. He was our only high caliber defenseman.

When Vince Lombardi came here, he shored up our defense, but nobody outstanding stood out along the line.

The Redskins defense started making a name for itself under George Allen (The Over The Hill Gang) with Diron Talbot as our primary DT. In George Allens last year, he aqquired Dave Butz in a trade with the St. Louis Cardinals. He didn't play much in his first year as George Allen liked to play his veterans and Butz was criticsized by Allen for his inconsistancy in games.

When Jack Pardee became the HC, Butz started playing full time. Although his game had improved, he wasn't considered to be an all pro tackle that demanded double teaming and such.

Dave Butz's play vastly improved under the Joe Gibbs (Part I) era, under the tutaledge of Richie Petibon. He became an every down player and started to command double teaming. The Redskins ranked in the top 5 against the run in thier defense for many years as Dave Butz was the primary force along the line.

The Redskins have had quite a few very good DT's but no one has ever dominated that position more so than Dave Butz.

Butz was a beast, there's no question about it but the Butz/Grant tandem was outrageous! They had that chemistry and communication thing going.

I always admired Butz for the guy he was too. He would be a monster on the field but you'd see him being such a dad to his boy walking off. Met him once, one of the nicer people to walk this planet.

This will surprise you but the best single year ever had by a Redskin DT (and possibly any DT) was had by Sean Gilbert. That is not saying he was the best or even top 50 DTs the Redskins have had, it was just lucky for the Redskins that he performed that well and thus garnered two #1 picks which ultimately gave us Arrington, Bailey and Samuels (and subsequently Portis).

Don't forget the Dancing Bear! I always liked Ron McDole.

McDole was actually a DE starting opposite Verlon Biggs. Talbert, Bill Brundige and Manny Sistrunk were DT's on that George Allen team.

A bit of trivia: All five started in a playoff game against the Packers in 1972 as Allen attempted to stop the potent running attack of John Brockington and McArthur Lane and force Packer QB Jerry Tagge to throw. It worked out pretty well as the Skins won 16-3.

Well,I know Turk Edwards is in the hall of fame and played both OT/DT in those days...As they would play both sides of the ball...

But I think it was his Presence on the Offensive side of the ball that got him Inducted in the HOF...(OT)That was in the Cliff Battles era (also HOF) and of course the MAN!...Slingin' Sammy Baugh....

Sammy's favorite target?Hugh "Bones" Taylor...

God I love football and the Skins...

Hurry up season!!!

That sure is a lot wasted money and draft picks sitting on that list!

A little help, what was Jumpy's signature bull rush called?

"the fork lift" it was a bull rush with the added touch of lifting the guard off his feet.....earlier post reference wasnt freddie stoke a DE opposite Mann? pretty sure he was and pretty sure he is the most under rated guy on the 91 team..seemed to always bring the heat

This will surprise you but the best single year ever had by a Redskin DT (and possibly any DT) was had by Sean Gilbert.

It did surprise me to hear someone make this claim, and although Gilbert was very good at his peak, I'm sure that I've seen better, such as the 1983 vintage Dave Butz.

So I decided to check some statistics at NFL.com --

Sean Gilbert, 1996:

69 Total tackles (56 solo), 3 sacks

Cornelius Griffin's best year, 2004:

70 total tackles (56 solo), 6 sacks

Dave Butz (from databasefootball.com). I couldn't find a listing for Dave Butz's number of tackles, and although it's been said that he was double-teamed on virtually every running play, I can only find sack totals:

Year Team Gms Sacks

1982 WASH 9 4.5

1983 WASH 16 11.5

1984 WASH 15 4.5

Now, as far as all-time great seasons, read this quote about Cortez Kennedy's numbers in '92, from NFL.com:

"Kennedy led the 1992 Seahawks with 14.0 sacks and four forced fumbles while finishing second on the team with a career-best 92 total tackles."

All this while he was double-and even triple-teamed. THAT was a great season.

Now, read this blurb on Darryl Grant from Redskins.com. While he may not have been a pass-rushing force, Darryl was a pretty fair run-stuffer:

"Grant arrived in Washington as a 9th-round draft pick...He would go on to become the first Redskins defensive lineman to record 100 tackles in a season."

Hope this helps.

Dave Butz.

He was also my favorite player during the 80's when he was playing.

Good ol' 65!

I am actually starting to think that Griffin will be one of our best DT's ever, if he isn't already, if he continues his high level of play.

"the fork lift" it was a bull rush with the added touch of lifting the guard off his feet.....earlier post reference wasnt freddie stoke a DE opposite Mann? pretty sure he was and pretty sure he is the most under rated guy on the 91 team..seemed to always bring the heat

Yessss the fork lift, thank you!!!!

You're correct also with whoever had Stokes down as DT. He was a DE.

Dave Butts. 742 tackles, 59 1/2 sacks, 7 recovered fumbles, and 15 1/2 forced fumbles. In 1982 he was voted to the All Pro Team, voted Defensive Lineman of the Year by the NFL Alumni Association, and won a Super Bowl ring. Not a bad career.

Uh, he won TWO SB rings. 82 and 87.

I agree with the order, You beat me to Johnson and Jumpy. Johnson was not flashy just solid and consistent.

When Geathers was here he was almost unstoppable. I have never seen anyone crush a pocket like he did. It was men against boys.

I thought Jumpy Geathers was a DE. I could be wrong, but in 91' we had Tim Johnson, Eric Williams, Mann and Geathers.

Well,I know Turk Edwards is in the hall of fame and played both OT/DT in those days...As they would play both sides of the ball...

But I think it was his Presence on the Offensive side of the ball that got him Inducted in the HOF...(OT)That was in the Cliff Battles era (also HOF) and of course the MAN!...Slingin' Sammy Baugh....

Sammy's favorite target?Hugh "Bones" Taylor...

God I love football and the Skins...

Hurry up season!!!

Hugh "Bones" Mckinney? Are they the same player?

Archived