Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

I heard a rumor that this Revolution thing is about a new WWE video game. So help me... lol

---------- Post added May-27th-2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

Leaked video about the Revolution...

http://gamerant.com/wwe-13-trailer-riley-151046/

Wtf is up with the graphics? That looks like something I would have played on the Dreamcast back in the day. :ols:

And I am flat out puzzled as to how players have to go all script (promos, matches, etc). I thought that players were just told who was going to win, and had to work together on how the match was going to go, save for spots and stuff like that. That's as corny as it gets.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

And I am flat out puzzled as to how players have to go all script (promos, matches, etc). I thought that players were just told who was going to win, and had to work together on how the match was going to go, save for spots and stuff like that. That's as corny as it gets.

That's the way it used to work. You would get general direction from the booker and the finish. Basically, "You are going 15 minutes and the finish is a ____ hitting ___ with a chair after a ref bump to get a pin." The most important part of a match is the finish. There were bookers who were legendary for their finishes, and bookers who were terrible at it. Pat Patterson was never a booker but he was considered the go-to genius when it came to finishes in the WWF. He also used to map out the Royal Rumble. Today, my understanding is that Michael Hayes maps out the Rumble (I think Hayes has a good wrestling mind, but I think the Rumble is not what it used to be). I don't know who comes up with finishes. I know the agents like Arn Anderson have a big role in planning out the matches.

Now, the promos are almost entirely scripted and the matches are largely scripted ahead of time. I do think they give more flexibility to the vets like Taker and guys who can really go like Punk. But do guys still "call it in the ring?" I don't think so.

Kevin Nash tells a great story on a shoot about working with Bob Backlund in the 90s and agreeing to let Backlund lead the match (generally heels always led the match). Backlund actually called for Nash to do a sunset flip at one point.

On one of Cornette's shoots (and really, everyone should watch a Cornette shoot), he tells a story of Dennis Condrey taking an extremely young Rick Rude around the ring three times in a headlock before having Rude tag out because Rude could not understand the instructions.

Condrey said "Shoot the ropes, drop down, hit Bobby, back to the head." Rude said, "Wha?" Condrey said, "Shoot the ropes, drop down, hit Bobby, back to the head." Rude said, "Wha?" Condrey said, "I am going to throw you into the ropes, when you come back, I will fall to the mat, and you will jump over me. You will hit the other ropes where Bobby Eaton is waiting. You will punch Bobby, come back to me, and put me back in a headlock." Rude says, "I don't get it" and Condrey says, "Tag the F out."

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I have a question. I've been thinking about this for a while so I thought I'd bring the question here. Could old school style "pro wrestling" survive today? I'm talking about old NWA style of wrestling where the matches were much longer and more real looking.

I have a question. I've been thinking about this for a while so I thought I'd bring the question here. Could old school style "pro wrestling" survive today? I'm talking about old NWA style of wrestling where the matches were much longer and more real looking.

Not without the WWE buying it and killing it off as soon as it got somewhat popular.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/randy-orton-suspended-for-60-days

STAMFORD, Conn. – In accordance with its Talent Wellness Program, WWE has suspended Randy Orton for 60 days effective today for his second violation of the company's policy.

I guarantee you he won't be released.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Not without the WWE buying it and killing it off as soon as it got somewhat popular.

Do you think todays fans would sit through a 60 minute match?

Hell, I'd watch it. I think a lot of wrasslin fans over the age of 25 would watch. WWE is more hack 'n slash rather than wrestling. Give me Bret Hart over Cena any day.

Hell, I'd watch it. I think a lot of wrasslin fans over the age of 25 would watch. WWE is more hack 'n slash rather than wrestling. Give me Bret Hart over Cena any day.

If I were TNA, that's the route I would go. They would be a true alternative to the WWE.

Does anyone here get the Ring of Honor TV show? It's a decent alternative to WWE. Great workers galore, lots of action and logical storylines.

Nope. Speaking of ROH:

This is an excerpt from an interview with an old-school wrestler, Dutch Mantel

Jack asked Dutch if there had ever been a situation where as a heel he had been cheered by the fans. Dutch said that as the fans became more sophisticated that had happened, but said that he hates "smart fans" because they tend to take some of the enjoyment out of the business. He said that fans like that are the ones who gravitate toward a promotion like Ring of Honor, which he said was great but that there was too much wrestling and not enough story-telling to make it entertaining. Dutch talked about the key to a successful promotion was not only good wrestling but good storylines that will hook the viewer and bring him in.

Basically, this is how I see it

WWE: Entertainment with Wrestling

ROH: Wrestling for Entertainment

TNA: Lost

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 04:27 PM ----------

I guess this really makes Sheamus the top face now.

I guess you mean the top face on Smackdown. That won't last long, either somebody will come over from RAW to take that spot or they will accelerate a Daniel Bryan face turn. When Orton comes back, they should make him a heel. Dude can get so much heat either way, might as well just make him a heel.

Nope. Speaking of ROH:

This is an excerpt from an interview with an old-school wrestler, Dutch Mantel

Basically, this is how I see it

WWE: Entertainment with Wrestling

ROH: Wrestling with Entertainment

TNA: Lost

And that's a shame because TNA had some of Tue best workers in the business.

Speaking of TNA, they go live tonight at 8:00

ROH has gotten reasonably popular with that approach.

I think you can train the fans to like whatever you want to show them.

The WWE has no trouble getting the fans to buy into longer matches at Wrestlemania. I think if they gave Punk and Bryan 25 minutes on the next Raw, the fans would buy into it. HHH is apparently a huge fan of old-school territory style wrestling so it's possible that they eventually go in that direction.

Two thoughts:

1. You can't do it right away, and

2. You can't do it with everyone.

The NWA did not have the Road Warriors do 60 minute Broadways on a nightly basis, you know.

PS

Dutch Mantel is exactly right, which is not shocking. Dutch is kind of a wrestling savant. I want to like ROH but they sometimes seem to forget that they are in the entertainment business. My favorite wrestling promotion is still mid-80s Crockett which would give you real mat-based wrestling, would give you bloody brawls (Seriously...has anything ever touched the Magnum-Tully I Quit match), and would give you some really goofy but entertaining storylines (Jim Cornette versus Baby Doll actually headlined house shows for God's sake. That's fat manager versus a fatter woman).

The main problem in the WWE right now is simple: Why are these guys fighting?

I don't want to sound like a bad method actor, but what is the motivation of the wrestler's in these matches?

I will give them credit: They have done a good job in creating a reason for the Big Show-Cena match. And Big Show is just good enough on the mic to pull it off. The problem is, I don't give a damn about The Big Show any longer. He's just a guy who has switched from heel to face 65 times over the past decade, and he's a physical monster who seems to lose more than he wins.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

[/color]

I guess you mean the top face on Smackdown. That won't last long, either somebody will come over from RAW to take that spot or they will accelerate a Daniel Bryan face turn. When Orton comes back, they should make him a heel. Dude can get so much heat either way, might as well just make him a heel.

Er yeah, whoops Meant on SD,. I hope they have the sense to turn Daniel Bryan face, but Vince has been making weird decisions as of late, and it's like they can't book anybody outside of Cena, Brock and Lesnar into a huge storyline (and this is coming from somebody who likes Cena). Yeah Punk's champ, but he doesn't feel like it when he doesn't main event Raw, and especially PPVs.

For some reason I think they'd be content with keeping D-Bry heel. Despite the fact that he's been crazy over since Mania, he's still stayed a heel.

I don't really get what Vince is doing, but then again I'm not a multi billionaire.

Sting defeated Robert Roode in a lumberjack match to win a heavyweight title shot.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

TNA will annouce their first inductee to their hall of fame soon.

Edited by Gallen5862

The main issue is their lack of talent, and/or creative department. I don't think anyone knows what they're doing. At least they still make money though...

I don't think they have a lack of talent. I actually think they have a chance to have a roster that has great depth, their booking just needs to make more sense. They already have amazing potential World/WWE champs lying in Cody Rhodes, and Dolph Ziggler (IMO Ziggler should have already had the big title, but at least he'll always have a sporadic Rumble match for a title).

Kofi would make a great mid carder, but the WWE hasn't done anything with him ever since his Orton feud and he's stuck in tag team limbo.

Santino and Zack Ryder are great with crowds, and Ryback might have potential. They could be able to bring Brodus Clay into a big storyline now that he's gotten pretty over, but they haven't.

Big Johnny has risen to be an entertaining character, but they're trying to make him the new Vince when they could still build other top heels.

I think there's still a ton of guys they haven't booked properly, and that's what continues to frustrate me about the WWE. It's been a long time since I've watched an actual full episode of Raw. Moving to three hours is going to make me want to watch it less, with the way they've been handling things. Oh, and at this point Cole should have been made into a manager. He'd fit in far better with that role. His commentary was amusing enough when he had the new attitude, but now it's unbearable listening to him and King (and I think King is far worse on commentary) together.

Smackdown's alright. At least they keep things fresh with their new talent initiative.

I think Vince still has some beef with his Southern accent. JR hasn't been doing commentary on Raw, but he's been calling a few matches on FCW/NXT with Regal, and once the two "shows" merge (which I'm pretty excited about), I think he has a permanent role calling the action with Regal. I know there's some examples of some fantastic Antonio Cesaro FCW matches on youtube. I'd grab examples, but I'm pressed for time.

Dolph Ziggler (IMO Ziggler should have already had the big title, but at least he'll always have a sporadic Rumble match for a title).

Kofi would make a great mid carder, but the WWE hasn't done anything with him ever since his Orton feud and he's stuck in tag team limbo.

Well it looks like they are finally about to set Dolph free after what happened with him, Swagger, and Vickie Guerrero on Monday night. It has been long overdue.

As far as Kofi, I don't know why they haven't put him over. I hope it has nothing to do with this:

If it does than the WWE is dumber than we thought. :doh:

Why isn't JR doing the commentary anymore? Just curious.

Actually, I think the better question would be how long hasn't he been doing it.

I think he is sick or something. He comes around here and there though. I heard he was doing NXT though. I don't how but :whoknows: