Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Idol had a pretty strong run in Georgia on the early national TBS shows - and not a lot of Memphis folks translated in Georgia. The "four slashed tires" angle is pretty cool.

And the big thing that hurt Lawler and Dundee (especially Dundee) was their size. Dundee was barely this side of Sky Low Low. Idol was around 6'1, 240 and was pretty cut. I think he was actually bigger than Orndorff - though not as muscular.

(By the way, on his podcast yesterday, Cornette did some fantasy booking that I thought was decent. Basically, it involved teaming up Bryan and Reigns in a Rocky III scenario. Bryan helps the youngster get ready for Lesnar with the promise of the first title shot. Granted, he went back a month and never had Bryan in the Rumble in the first place, but I think it made some sense.

His usually annoying co-host made a rare good point in saying that all the babyfaces in the WWE are lone wolves. If a babyface is getting beat up, the locker room never empties. No one on either side seems to be friends or have alliances. And it may just not occur to them that pairing Bryan and Reigns might actually get some of Bryan's popularity to leak onto Reigns.

She actually has a good point. The classic wrestling angle is two babyfaces take on the baddies for a year. And then one babyface turns on the other, creating an instant blood feud that lasts six months. And at the end, you elevate one to the main event and send the other to the mid-card where you can actually have him team up with someone for a year before you split them creating a blood feud.....)

That's true, but Dundee was 5'7 and Ray Mysterio is only 5'6. I do realize styles and time periods play a huge part in the career differences but being short can work, but it has to be done right. With Dundee always sticking around to that area they protected him and themselves and really elevated him to bigger heights and used him right. He ventured out into the NWA and other regional areas but would never get over in an outdoor stadium type environment so it didn't work. I don't think that people fans always understand that some things would work in a big arena and somethings wouldn't. IF ECW was shot for TV from the Toyko Dome it would never have gotten over. 

The lone wolves point is accurate but its being done on purpose I think. Not sure if they mentioned it but the last time they joined together was at Survivor Series and three guys got fired on TV for that and missed a bunch of dates on TV. Its not realistic to that sub-story line to have the talent ignore that and band together like merry men again so soon after. That's why that story line...Your Fired!!!!!!......has never worked in this business. Sure immediately it's effective and there is a pop but wait a few weeks or a month and the fired person has his job back and life goes on like it never happened. That's stupid to me, it undermines the character who says it. I love hearing Vince say it...reminds of Donald Trump with the impact but anyone else doing it takes away from the character and I don't think its very effective writing.  

20 Big E....crowd ****s on him too. I would have too. Back in the day guys like Big E would be used as feeders to a champion and move on to the next league, guys like Big E could have a career for a long run but leave them in one territory for too long and they start to stink like rotting food, If he had an ounce of a personality he would get over but he doesn't. The heat he's drawing is not the right kind....

I completely disagree with this. Big E does have a personality. It's freaking Vince McMahon and his writers who still don't know how to book black wrestlers without doing something stereotypical. I can't believe they had him do the stupid black southern preacher gimmick. 

When he was in NXT, and had the five count gimmick, that joint was brilliant. I think it was KD who said they should have kept using that gimmick and start to have him lose matches because of it. They literally could have done anything besides make him sound like Jessie Jackson. Come on man. smh...

• Like 2

I agree, the WWE still has no clue how to use minorities. 

I look at TNA. Granted, it did look like MVP, Kenny King, and Bobby Lashley were in a gang or whatever, but at the same time, that angle would have, and has, worked for anybody. Now let's look at the new day... That is straight up 1990's urban type stuff right there man. lol I was so disappointed when I saw the trailers for them. I expected so much, I don't know why, from that stable. But it's just another shuck and jive type stunt from the WWE. At this point, I'll even take a remix of The Nation of Domination again. 

New Day is beyond stupid. I am trying to imagine the meeting where that is approved. It is nonsense.

They need better stables still. They need to get these guys on TV without them having live matches all the time. When DX was generation 2 you had good stuff. If the NAO's were out there, maybe you'd get X-Pac involved, or HHH. or all of them.

, I would imagine no one knows that or cares about it. Unless you were to go full on with Axel attacking Reigns squashing him with Reigns putting him over and then throw Reigns over the top rope and give him Mania then it doesn't make sense to do it.

Because they'd be doing it with an eye to the smarks. Triple H acknowledges controversy, Internet fans went nuts. "Wow, he acknowledged it!" Next thing you know they pull Axel out at them as if they're saying, "sorry. No one tells us what to do" (keep in mind, Trips said that very line Thursday night, too)

Rusev vs. John Cena - Why? Who goes over? Squashing Rusev to Cena makes no sense without the belt right now to me. Squashing Cena after the last few months he has had isn't going to help him either. I would rather see Cena in a match with Triple H with Sting in his corner for control over the company storyline then to see that match or the match with Sting vs Triple H.

They've already booked this match for Fast Lane. I'd book it to end by count out and Cena wins at FL. At Mania, Rusev goes over.

Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes - Not a fan of this one either, only because I don't want to see a program between brothers.

Goldust is, according to rumors, looking to hang them up sooner rather than later. This is a match many want to see before he does so.

Miz vs. Sandow - This is gold right now. Why split it up and who gains here?

Sandow gains. They're teasing it. They can't let the tease go on too long or it gets stale. They need to strike soon. Mania is perfect for it.

Sting vs. HHH - 10 years ago when Hogan was against Shawn Michaels is when this should have happened. I don't want it to happen now

Well, it's going to happen.

Bray Wyatt vs. The Undertaker - I thought the Undertaker was retired, is he contracted for Wrestlmania? If so whats his motivation for coming back? I could see it if he was to go against Lesner maybe to get revenge for ending the streak but not sure why he would come out of retirement for this match.

He never retired and never said he retired. Wyatt hinted at this in his promo on Smackdown very vaguely. And, Taker is featured on the production trucks that are advertising Mania.

Oh and I'm not a fan of the wild main event either. But it's certainly a way to book themselves out of a corner. Throw star power at the main event.

I completely disagree with this. Big E does have a personality. It's freaking Vince McMahon and his writers who still don't know how to book black wrestlers without doing something stereotypical. I can't believe they had him do the stupid black southern preacher gimmick.

When he was in NXT, and had the five count gimmick, that joint was brilliant. I think it was KD who said they should have kept using that gimmick and start to have him lose matches because of it. They literally could have done anything besides make him sound like Jessie Jackson. Come on man. smh...

I am color blind, him being black wasnt in my thoughts when I wrote that. I have never seen NXT and Big E has never interested me in the ring from what Ive seen. My best memory of him personally was when he went after Rusev and then he lost badly to him. He just doesnt seem very good, strong yes but good no and your right his characters have been sterotypical. If strong was all it took then Cezarro would be in a higher position then he is now, you have to have the personality too and neither guys seems to

So besides the 5 count gimmic what would you do with him? That seems like a short program to me but it could draw some pops but who would you work him with? It would be hard to line up opponants who would lay down for 5 secs on Raw week after week. NXT sure do that every week, but most wrestlers wouldnt go for it and you cant squash other guys on the way up unless you can capture the hearts and minds of the fans like Goldberg did and it make a buzz and draws money.

What I was saying with guys like that, big bad monster types if used right could come in a territory, draw money and take on the roster then after headling for a small peroid go somewhere else and start it over again. They would have a shelf life of 2 to 3 years then expire. Everywhere they went they drew money, it was a good thing for them but now that the games forever been changed can you see Big E being relevant 5 years from now when hes floundering in a tag team no one cares about like he is? Maybe but not how they are handling him now. Eventually they will run out of ideas and hes gone. He goes somewhere else he has to live that down knowing he didnt draw money in the WWE which means people are exactly crazy about him

Edited by hankersonfan
  • Like 1

Before I go on any further, I need to know exactly what do you both mean by personality?

Personality shines for me in many ways. Could be how the guy commands the room, could be how he talks, could be his swagger, could different things.

Unlike other forms of entertainment all of these guys essentially do the same thing. They can all wrestle, what sseparates them is there personalities. May not be the right word for it

Someone like Lugar looks like a million bucks but has the personality as interesting as a ddoorknob. Some one like Kevin Sullivan looks like a typical drunk you see propped up on a barstool in some hole in the wall ball but has the personality that even made him look good with a redic gimmic like the Varsity club.

• Like 1

I gotcha.

I seen Big E in interviews and stuff, and I can tell her has a personality. Does he have the charisma of Punk, Cena, Rock, HBK, HHH, Flair, etc... lol Heck no. But at the same time, I can see that he has something more than a stupid Southern Preacher accent. Personally, I think he is a goofball, but I still think they could do more with him. Maybe he'll have some sort of Mark Henry resurgence later in his career.

Speaking of Big E though, man did WWE drop the ball with the stable with him, Ziggler, and AJ. Sure, Dolph did get hurt, but they didn't even try to save that stable. It could have been something nice. Oh well...

I gotcha.

I seen Big E in interviews and stuff, and I can tell her has a personality. Does he have the charisma of Punk, Cena, Rock, HBK, HHH, Flair, etc... lol Heck no. But at the same time, I can see that he has something more than a stupid Southern Preacher accent. Personally, I think he is a goofball, but I still think they could do more with him. Maybe he'll have some sort of Mark Henry resurgence later in his career.

Speaking of Big E though, man did WWE drop the ball with the stable with him, Ziggler, and AJ. Sure, Dolph did get hurt, but they didn't even try to save that stable. It could have been something nice. Oh well...

Okay so hope you get this reference....What you liked was what I also liked, that stable was good. But if I were there and could have driven his career path I would have kept him off TV as a wrestler. Instead I would have had him show up on TV as a guest of Zigglers and then promoted his power lifting records as built him up as a bad ass to the viewer. No videos, no matches, just him in Zigglers corner. He wouldn't be on TV every week, only when Dolph brought him to ringside as his good buddy and friend in specific career enhancing matches.

I'd have him spot show up infrequently for a few months just in his corner teasing his involvement but never delivering...eventually building his character by the announce team while saying No to him wrestling. The fans would want to see him wrestle, I would deny then that. Also in order for this to work his name would not be Big E Langston...stupid name.

Then as Dolph was in a championship match we  would finally see him get involved in order for him to help Dolph but keeping the idea alive he is a real bad ass, where other competitors like Cena were afraid of him and built him up as a real life monster everyone was afraid of. In the interference he would use some punch that knocked the champion out cold. I would have used him like 911 was used in ECW and how Kevin Nash was introduced with Shawn Michaels.

Everyone should know his abilities, if he can't talk then he can't get over. They should have known the minute he competed he would lose steam I have to assume so I would have used him as the baddest man alive manager ever and keep him out of the ring for as long as they could have. Instead the minute he debuted he was attacking John Cena and they started his clock for expiration immediately.

Regardless of if he can wrestle, the point is that he would have been best served out of the ring. Once I put him in the ring it would have been in tag matches, and had him go way over on anyone that was in his cross hairs. They could have done that, and by saying No to matches would have gained him more interest then he ever got as an in the ring worker. Once you use him as a wrestler then it opens the door for stupid characters that you mentioned above.

Even turning him into a monster like Henry we should remember Henry was always a loveable teddy bear before he turned into a monster, no one thinks that Big E is a teddy bear now so even if they decided to get behind him and give him a push down the road it won't work as a bad ass monster because of how they've killed him thus far. Once you ruin a guy on TV it's nearly impossible to get him back over without a complete makeover like Bray Wyatt ex Husky Harris

Edited by hankersonfan
  • Like 1

I gotcha.

See you're talking about out of character interviews. Those don't really count. Roman Reigns is hilarious in regular interview

How you carry yourself in the ring and in promos is what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Spoilers below:

I can see this Fast Lane thing playing out either way, to be honest. In one instance, if Bryan wins, I can see Bryan taking on Brock and being the severe underdog. Rollins in his promo on RAW even talked about the fans perspective that Bryan beating Reigns just isn't believable. I could see a storyline where Bryan is getting beaten to a pulp by Lesnar and occasionally lands a big spot that takes a lot out of Brock. The Authority gets involved when the ref is knocked down (J&J, Kane, Show, whoever) when Bryan gets the slightest head of steam. They start the beat down on Bryan and clear the ring for Brock to hit the F5 and end it. Brock hits the F5 and Bryan is out... But Reigns pops out from the crowd and spears Brock as the ref begins to stir. Reigns throws Bryan's hand on Lesnar and Bryan wins 1-2-3. Reigns clears out before the Authority can react.

Bryan is still not really conscious, goes to get to his feet... Curb Stomp. Cash in. New WWE Champion.

If Reigns wins, I see a similar storyline where Reigns wins by the skin of his teeth. Exhausted and beaten. Curb Stomp. Cash in. New WWE Champion.

I think the only way that Rollins doesn't leave WrestleMania the WWE Champion is if Lesnar re-ups with the company and they want to keep him immediately on TV. But even if he does re-up, they could still have him disappear for awhile first and then shockingly re-appear down the line.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Is overexposure a problem with WWE nowadays?

I mean, take a look back in time. With the "jobbers" around and less shows and less time, you didn't see every big name at every big show. They had enough there for TV to make the crowd excited, but it wasn't a star studded event.

A TV may have:

Nailz vs. Jobber A

Big Bossman vs. Jobber B followed by a confrontation with Nailz.

Isaac Yankem vs. Skinner

Hulk Hogan vs. Jobber C

Crowds loved that. House shows were frankly even better, because even though they'd split the roster for them they had stars vs. stars in most of the matches, save a few jobber matches.

Now, fast forward to today. The WWE Champion is a part timer. And people love him. People yearn for Austin appearances (granted he's not wrestling) and Rock appearances. People are even more on board with Daniel Bryan than ever after he spent some time away. People are tired of John Cena as he's always there. People were tired of Orton, but now people are chomping at the bit to see him come back.

It's almost like WWE needs to expand the roster a bit and make Smackdown a viable show. Have guys not around for a little while. Don't force feed people into stories. If they're around for a year straight and organically have something to do, awesome. But I think the whole over exposure piece is hurting wrestling more than anything else.

I mean, Ring of Honor does all their taping at once, so the live crowd gets to see everyone. But the TV show may not have most of the guys every week. Jay Briscoe had matches on two episodes in a row, this week he had a 20 second promo spot and that was it. I think there's something to not having guys on TV all the time.

Is overexposure a problem with WWE nowadays?

I mean, take a look back in time. With the "jobbers" around and less shows and less time, you didn't see every big name at every big show. They had enough there for TV to make the crowd excited, but it wasn't a star studded event.

That's kind of what I was getting at when I asked about jobbers last week. I wonder if the WWE has hurt itself by having name wrestlers against each other each and every week. 

That's kind of what I was getting at when I asked about jobbers last week. I wonder if the WWE has hurt itself by having name wrestlers against each other each and every week. 

I think they could still get away with having name wrestlers against each other. But I don't think Daniel Bryan, John Cena, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Seth Rollins, Rusev, Ryback, Harper, Show, Kane all need to be on every show or RAW.

I could keep listing names but you get the point.

You may have half of them, or three quarters of them, but you don't need them all all the time. Let your undercard develop storylines. Real storylines. May make some of them more viable options for the big prize.

Kane and Show exhaust me. But if they weren't around as often I would be pleasantly surprised when their music hit.

Develop freakin' tag teams and let your Divas actually wrestle. That would eat some of the time that they think they have to fill with stars in every slot.