Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Show Yourselves III

Tarhog

Question: is this now referring to single images? The rule states huge blocks of texts or images and I know it's a pain to have someone quote a number of pictures over... but need this clarified

seems silly to worry about a single image

If someone really has a serious question on a rule, the thing we'd usually expect someone to do is PM a moderator, although asking the question in a thread does often net some good (and often funny) answers, as well as some wrong answers. :D

Sometimes, though it may seem rude, and also leaves the curious wondering and often assuming (which is on them) that something "doesn't make sense", questions in threads may often go unanswered by staff.

Not that the 2000th time you're asked to explain something isn't as stimulating as the first few times. :silly:

(keeping in mind there have been/are tens of thousands of members and the site has been here with the same rules for years).

But kidding aside, different people asking such questions in perpetually ongoing fashion is all understandable, of course.

Anyhoo, tryfuhl, I happened to have a couple answer-links handy from the "owned" thread.

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6055416&postcount=8927

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6055558&postcount=8935

You're that IT guy, aren't ya? I remember seeing your posts in the tech support forum last fall. I can't answer for Jumbo, but I will throw my opinion out there. Obviously the idea is not to put undue stress on the bandwidth.

IMO, if the pic is on the same 15-post page (since we can assume most members use the 15-post page as a default), then the pic should not be quoted. If the post involves quoting multiple pics, then quoting the mulitple pics should be avoided since all that's needed is to click on the little blue arrow to reference the pics. Then hit the browser's back button to come back. If a single pic is needed to be quoted to add clarity to an answered post, and that pic was on a previous 15-post page, then maybe quoting that single pic would be okay as a matter of convenience to readers.

Tryfuhl, you're the IT guy, what do you think, from a technical standpoint? Of course, Jumbo's opinion trumps all. Well, all except maybe TK, who is more technically savy, from what I hear.

And just to keep within the rules of this thread, I will add this pic of Jumbo and TK taken last summer as they consider which bundle of cable to run from the new upgraded extremeskins.com servers...

Now in this quote I edited MTH's pic out. But I wanted to tell MTH that as usual, he has a great grasp on the matter, although "clutter" re: the flow of the thread is also part of the deal with quoting long blocks of text or a pic (singular) or pics (plural). Seeing the same pic 5 to 20 times within 3 to 6 pages is pretty buzzkill for most semi-normals. :D

Re: the pic of me & TK, that really captured the intensity and committment we have for this forum. ;)

Since quoting pics is against the rules and all...I'm the dude in two of the four pics by Mondizzle last page.

Description is a great way to reference, as I menton in one of the links, and of course you can always use the post number. :)

Hope that's helpful, tryfuhl.

I won $110 at darts tonight, saw Gran Torino, and had excellent prawn & snow peas with one of my fave ladies, so I have a very benign outlook at the moment. :cool:

If someone really has a serious question on a rule, the thing we'd usually expect someone to do is PM a moderator, although asking the question in a thread does often net some good (and often funny) answers, as well as some wrong answers. :D

Sometimes, though it may seem rude, and also leaves the curious wondering and often assuming (which is on them) that something "doesn't make sense", questions in threads may often go unanswered by staff.

Not that the 2000th time you're asked to explain something isn't as stimulating as the first few times. :silly:

(keeping in mind there have been/are tens of thousands of members and the site has been here with the same rules for years).

But kidding aside, different people asking such questions in perpetually ongoing fashion is all understandandable, of course.

Anyhoo, tryfuhl, I happened to have a couple answer-links handy from the "owned" thread.

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6055416&postcount=8927

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6055558&postcount=8935

Now in this quote I edited the pic out. But I wanted to tell MTH that as usual, he has a great grasp on the matter, although "clutter" re: the flow of the thread is also part of the deal with quoting long blocks of text or a pic (singular) or pics (plural). Seeing the same pic 5 to 20 times within 3 to 6 pages is pretty buzzkill for most semi-normals. :D

Re: the pic of me & TK, that really captured the intensity and committment we have for this forum. ;)

Description is a great way to reference, as I menton in one of the links, and of course you can always use the post number. :)

Hope that's helpful, tryfuhl.

I won $110 at darts tonight, saw Gran Torino, and had excellent prawn & snow peas with one of my fave ladies, so I have a very benign outlook at the moment. :cool:

Man what's it take to just get a straight answer? hahaha.. I'm not sure I ever saw anything definitive. I can understand clutter to an extent, but say in these 170 pages, there may be pics that I didn't see because well, I haven't viewed all 170 pages. So I might not catch them in a quote.

So basically, don't quote the pic if it's been quoted many times.. and if it has but I didn't see it pages back, I could get screwed? lol

Kinda reminds me of the time we had the funny/sexy pic thread and wet t-shirts and camel toes were allowed but my image of the singing shark (saying to mouthify his wang, but in diff terms) got me a 2 week timeout.. i was explained that clarification had been posted earlier in the thread, yet it was into the 30some page mark. Thanks for digging up the links, but once again, clarifications are in the middle of a thread that somebody may not have read, guess I'll try to read more and clear it up myself.

This is another reason we don't always respond to such "wonderings." :D

There were several things you said there that indicate some comprehension difficulty---which is no prob, amigo. So since you're struggling I'll make it easy for you. Tryfuhl, you are never to quote pictures under any condition. :silly: :laugh:

:cheers:

You're that IT guy, aren't ya? I remember seeing your posts in the tech support forum last fall.

Somewhat, nothing overly in-depth, more of an enthusiast type thing. I have certifications but no career in the field, unless you count doing work for most of the major computer manufacturers on warranty work, but that doesn't really relate to this. I am more than familiar with vBulletin, php, mysql, etc though

I can't answer for Jumbo, but I will throw my opinion out there. Obviously the idea is not to put undue stress on the bandwidth.

bandwidth isn't an issue, the pics aren't hosted here.. well some attachments may be if that's how people have chosen to, but attached images do not carry over when quoted.. if it was a bandwidth or database issue I doubt that these large animated gifs would be allowed in signatures (but once again, these requests aren't hitting ES, only where the file is stored).. I'd also imagine that the administrators here have some pretty good caching systems setup to reduce server load (hey maybe they could take that savings and redistribute it to the memory allocation when searching.. or direct the search to the archive)

IMO, if the pic is on the same 15-post page (since we can assume most members use the 15-post page as a default), then the pic should not be quoted. If the post involves quoting multiple pics, then quoting the mulitple pics should be avoided since all that's needed is to click on the little blue arrow to reference the pics. Then hit the browser's back button to come back. If a single pic is needed to be quoted to add clarity to an answered post, and that pic was on a previous 15-post page, then maybe quoting that single pic would be okay as a matter of convenience to readers.

I agree with that.. if it's the same page I'll just usually leave the text, but on another page I'll probably leave the pic that I'm referencing to.. I know that there are plenty of people that keep up with every page of these type of threads, but I'm sure that there are plenty that don't as well

If necessary there could always be a simple fix to not allow the quoting of images.. or to reduce them to thumbnails when quoted (I personally love that feature at times)

Tryfuhl, you're the IT guy, what do you think, from a technical standpoint?

I think that it's up to the gentlemen that run this board, but I have put my opinion into the matter. I've also been a big fan of not restricting communities where no real issue lies. I don't see much complaining about the clutter of threads, I hate when someone quotes 23 pictures from one post as much as the next guy.. I also don't see why people need to post 23 images of themselves, but that's another topic haha

Of course, Jumbo's opinion trumps all. Well, all except maybe TK, who is more technically savy, from what I hear.

but of course!

And just to keep within the rules of this thread, I will add this pic of Jumbo and TK taken last summer as they consider which bundle of cable to run from the new upgraded extremeskins.com servers...

<and I will edit it...so that's one>:D

and I will quote it ;)

This is another reason we don't always respond to such "wonderings." :D

There were several things you said there that indicate some comprehension difficulty---which is no prob, amigo. So since you're struggling I'll make it easy for you. Tryfuhl, you are never to quote pictures under any condition. :silly: :laugh:

:cheers:

Oh snap, brb editing reply to Mark :laugh:

And, with absolutely nothing but good will intended on my end, it's a pic thread so let's cease debate--I have learned from this side that there are good reasons for the rules that become very clear over time when you're on this end. And the freedom/restriction ratio on ES seesm to work well for the vast majority of members. :)

Thanks. :cheers:

Stay close tryfuhl, we may need all the help we can get in the future and MTH is already on a secret draft list. ;):D

And, with absolutely nothing but good will intended on my end, it's a pic thread so let's cease debate--I have learned from this side that there are good reasons for the rules that become very clear over time when you're on this end. And the freedom/restriction ratio on ES seesm to work well for the vast majority of members. :)

Thanks. :cheers:

Stay close tryfuhl, we may need all the help we can get in the future and MTH is already on a secret draft list. ;):D

Indeed.. what's this secret draft list :cheers:

Cheesy huh? Can't argue that one. :silly:

And while I'm biased about Jess, she doesn't like that pic too much - it was a forced smile on a cold day. She loves the horses though and rides as much as possible.

Ladies and horses and the money it costs us :)

Now I have to go find a pic of my ex and her horses so I keep the intent of thread honored :laugh:

n1576145055_110428_3918.jpg

Me and my little brothers (twins if you believe it) back a few years ago, before they were both taller than me.:)

n1576145055_110273_3749.jpg

Slightly older photo of me and my brothers. Boy how things change...

n1576145055_110449_8977.jpg

At my high school graduation...

n1566780027_30006987_667.jpg

High school senior pictures...

And apparently I don't have any pictures of me that are more recent than 2 years ago... I'll try to get some and post em.:D

Archived