Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Draft Day conversation: Talk about the whole draft here. (Merged)

Art

Why are ppl comparing the Cooley trade with the Mckintosh trade? Coming out of college Cooley was statistically the BEST TE in the whole draft. Mckintosh apparently wasn't even a full time starter. Cooley was a STEAL in the 3rd, Mckintosh is a REACH where we got him.

I'm not knocking Rocky because I'm hoping he turns out to be a good player. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Once again the skins' never cease to amaze me with their stupidity when it comes to the draft. Who's behind the "wheel" here?? How do you give a 2nd rounder this year and one next year for (1) one second rounder this year?? Not to mention a 6th rounder this year. I know the Jets and Broncos have us on speed dial with every one of their picks. We are too ready to give away draft picks without thinking of value. I said it ... The taboo word.. "VALUE". Rocky McIntosh?? PLEASE .... Jimmy Williams(All-ACC CB) was there and you could have got him with a 2nd and 5th rounder this year. A lock down corner..BUT instead we go with an unproven OLB?? I love Joe to death BUT he needs to be banned from the WAR ROOM. :helmet:

Once again the skins' never cease to amaze me with their stupidity when it comes to the draft. Who's behind the "wheel" here?? How do you give a 2nd rounder this year and one next year for (1) one second rounder this year?? Not to mention a 6th rounder this year. I know the Jets and Broncos have us on speed dial with every one of their picks. We are too ready to give away draft picks without thinking of value. I said it ... The taboo word.. "VALUE". Rocky McIntosh?? PLEASE .... Jimmy Williams(All-ACC CB) was there and you could have got him with a 2nd and 5th rounder this year. A lock down corner..BUT instead we go with an unproven OLB?? I love Joe to death BUT he needs to be banned from the WAR ROOM. :helmet:

yeah **** Gibbs, he's already messed up on Cooley, Rogers, & Taylor.....this guys has no EYE for talent at ALL :rolleyes:

this was written in April 2003 about Rocky

"Up-and-Comer...

Last season as a redshirt freshman, Rocky McIntosh was quick to earn a starting spot at strongside linebacker on the Hurricanes' roster. Coach Larry Coker explained that McIntosh was still learning the position as a starter in 2002 but, like Ray Lewis before him, he had the athletic ability to compensate for any mental errors he might commit.

"He has so much ability, man, he has so much ability," Vilma emphasized. "He's as athletic as any linebacker out there. He's fast, quick, he likes to hit and he's just what we need at 'Sam' (strong-side linebacker)."

Hargreaves noted that McIntosh's learning curve has accelerated since last season.

"He's coming along great," Hargreaves said. "He's made as much progress from last year to this year as D.J. made last year from the previous year. That's all you can ask for - that each year they get a little bit better, things come a little bit faster to them and they pick up the level."

McIntosh said that a great deal of his education has come from observing more experienced players and learning form them.

"All the older guys are good leaders and they're great role models for the younger guys," he said. "

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040903aaa.html

Python, Jimmy Williams isn't exactly a sure thing. He has been called a headcase who is uncoachable. Hasn't the Owens fiasco taught you anything? Character is an important factor in evaluating players. Drafting a headcase can cause a lot problems in the long run.

I agree with you buddy. That is what I said last year also when we passed on Chris Canty and when for White...WTF still I have nightmares over that move. Imagine if we had Canty now we would be set on DE for years to come. However this move with Rocky might just turn out ok because if you look at this kid he had some injury issues. He played HUGE in his first year and if anyone can turn a OLB into a beast is Gregg Williams. I mean look at Marshall two years ago at OLB. I dare say that Rocky is as physically talented as Marshall if not more so. We will see.

Good read slinky.Anyone who doubts Rocky's Talent is smoking crack.I thought we would draft J Williams but now that I think about it this is the right move.You can find 3 and 4 CB's tommorow. Rocky will be starter. When he compares to VIlma,DJ Williams, and Ray Lewis we have nothing to worry about.I wanted Deqwell and wish he didn't go right before we picked.It would of been interesting to see what we would of done.I think there about equal in talent.

Okay. I'm over it. Having looked at the remaining OLBs available (pretty much none) it's clear what the Skins were trying to do. I know it's been suggested to draft a MLB and move Lamar back outside, but this is clearly NOT what the Skins wanted to do.

I'm still not thrilled with the move because more than anything, I would have liked to have seen the Skins address depth and there are still quite a few intruiging guys left out there at MLB...

And those of you who think Gibbs has never made mistakes as far as personnel goes...well, you're mistaken.

But again, the Skins had a hole at OLB and drafted the best one available. You also need to consider that the Jets may not have been the only team we contacted about trading up. It's possible that Rocky would have been there a little later, but it's obvious that he wouldn't have been there after 38.

Archived