Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Over Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia ? I don't think so.

Look at Boise's schedule. Take the best teams and then add in the SEC teams. If anything PAC-10 might work better for them.

You're missing the point... Kiper wants to put Boise St's CURRENT roster into the SEC... You know the SEC that is one of the greatest recruiting conferences... Yet fails to see that Boise St would get BETTER as well just by being in that conference, because they'd be a viable destination for some of the "blue chip" players...

It's like saying "Yeah, Alabama is good, but put them in the NFL and see how well they do" and assuming that they would not have the luxury of drafting college players EVER... Or signing free agents EVER...

Yeah I think that's a horrible excuse, Cowherd was saying the same thing the other day. Give Boise the tradition, money, and facilities of Florida, Alabama, LSU and then see what happenes.

So basically, give Boise all of the same resources as 3 of the top 10 football programs in the entire country.

You could say that about practically any football program.

The overall point about Boise's success relative to other programs is true though. They're a top heavy team with a few decent players, and they only have to play one or two real games a year while resting guys and rolling over their cakewalk schedule to a BCS bowl. Give them a Big East schedule and I would put money on them only winning 7 or 8 games, simply because of the attrition they'd face over the course of the season.

I bet Maryland could win 9 or 10 games with Boise's schedule.

You're missing the point... Kiper wants to put Boise St's CURRENT roster into the SEC... You know the SEC that is one of the greatest recruiting conferences... Yet fails to see that Boise St would get BETTER as well just by being in that conference, because they'd be a viable destination for some of the "blue chip" players...

It's like saying "Yeah, Alabama is good, but put them in the NFL and see how well they do" and assuming that they would not have the luxury of drafting college players EVER... Or signing free agents EVER...

Let's be realistic here.

I don't think too many 4 and 5 star black kids from the deep south would want to go play in Idaho on a blue field when they could just play at Tennessee, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, or Baton Rouge instead.

Dropping Boise into the SEC still wouldn't elevate them very much. You'd literally have to re-write their entire tradition, history, and alumni base for that to work.

And move them about 2,000 miles South East.

So basically, give Boise all of the same resources as 3 of the top 10 football programs in the entire country.

You could say that about practically any football program.

The overall point about Boise's success relative to other programs is true though. They're a top heavy team with a few decent players, and they only have to play one or two real games a year while resting guys and rolling over their cakewalk schedule to a BCS bowl. Give them a Big East schedule and I would put money on them only winning 7 or 8 games, simply because of the attrition they'd face over the course of the season.

I bet Maryland could win 9 or 10 games with Boise's schedule.

I dunno, Boise is good and they've show that by beating teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, etc. They'll really prove something if they can beat VT.

The schedule thing is tough, they can only beat the teams on THEIR schedule, not someone else's. Its not their fault they play in a bad conference and they've started to schedule better teams as of late. But they can't just not play their conference games because everyone else wants them to play a tougher schedule.

Let's be realistic here.

I don't think too many 4 and 5 star black kids from the deep south would want to go play in Idaho on a blue field when they could just play at Tennessee, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, or Baton Rouge instead.

Dropping Boise into the SEC still wouldn't elevate them very much. You'd literally have to re-write their entire tradition, history, and alumni base for that to work.

And move them about 2,000 miles South East.

And you can't have a team from the far North West in the South East conference... And of course you wouldn't have a bunch of kids from Southern California, South Florida, New York, or Texas go to a school in Northern Indiana.... (Edit... oh wait, where's Notre Dame again?)

But hey Kiper said it I'm just going on his scenario...

Again, have you looked at their schedule ?

Again, have you looked at their schedule ?

Alright 2 ranked opponents non conference...

Let's see who else is going OUT OF THEIR WAY to play tough teams...

Hmm..

Bama - Penn State, Duke, SDSU, and Georgia State

Ohio State - Marshall, Miami, Eastern Michigan, Ohio

Florida - Miami (OH), South Florida, and App State

Texas - Rice, Wyoming, UCLA, Florida Atlantic...

But obviously those teams have to play a bunch of ranked teams in the course of their season right?

Texas plays 2 all year

Florida plays 4

Ohio State plays 4

Bama plays 5

So, if you're going to say Boise St has a cupcake schedule, you have to include Texas into the mix...

Hmm..

But obviously those teams have to play a bunch of ranked teams in the course of their season right?

Texas plays 2 all year

Florida plays 4

Ohio State plays 4

Bama plays 5

So, if you're going to say Boise St has a cupcake schedule, you have to include Texas into the mix...

Noles don't **** around

Samford then Oklahoma, BYU, Florida

Noles don't **** around

Samford then Oklahoma, BYU, Florida

Yeah, I hate that scheduling though.

Playing OU and UF in the same year during the regular season makes no sense. I can't wait until they get away from that in a couple of years.

I dunno, Boise is good and they've show that by beating teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, TCU, etc. They'll really prove something if they can beat VT.

The schedule thing is tough, they can only beat the teams on THEIR schedule, not someone else's. Its not their fault they play in a bad conference and they've started to schedule better teams as of late. But they can't just not play their conference games because everyone else wants them to play a tougher schedule.

They won't really prove anything by beating VT.

It's the season opener. It's the game they've been planning for all off-season, and it's the only game they have to concern themselves with for the rest of their regular season. VT still has to play other BCS schools after Boise. They still have a real regular season to go through, win or lose.

If all you do is play one challenging opponent to start the year, play a bunch of teams who are homecoming opponents for everyone else for your regular season, rack up 10 wins, then play another challenging opponent for your bowl, how is that impressive? You had 2 games all season to get motivated for, the rest were cupcakes. You were playing mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers by the 4th quarter because you were blowing everyone else out, had wrapped up your conference, and were able to rest your starters.

And you can't have a team from the far North West in the South East conference... And of course you wouldn't have a bunch of kids from Southern California, South Florida, New York, or Texas go to a school in Northern Indiana.... (Edit... oh wait, where's Notre Dame again?)

But hey Kiper said it I'm just going on his scenario...

The same Notre Dame that's now almost irrelevant?

Compared to programs like LSU, UF, Alabama, and Texas who have racked up BCS Championships and appearances in this decade?

That's not a comparison you really want to make here.

Hmm..

Texas plays 2 all year

Florida plays 4

Ohio State plays 4

Bama plays 5

It's not just about playing "ranked teams."

If you're in the SEC and you have to play UGA, UT, Auburn, and LSU as part of your regular season, that alone is a harder schedule than what Boise will have all year.

It's about the cumulative effect of the season. BCS programs need tons of quality depth and have to prepare every week for level opponents. Boise can sleep walk through their schedule and get 10+ wins and can practically start making bowl plans by November.

Like I said before, give Maryland or UVA Boise's schedule and they'd probably rack up 8 or 9 wins.

The same Notre Dame that's now almost irrelevant?

Compared to programs like LSU, UF, Alabama, and Texas who have racked up BCS Championships and appearances in this decade?

Alright, but tell me now how is an "almost irrelevant" school still getting the big name players to come in? How do they have 99/105 players from OUTSIDE OF THEIR STATE? For some reason I think that means they are convincing kids to move away from home to go to Nowheresville, IN

Alright, but tell me now how is an "almost irrelevant" school still getting the big name players to come in? How do they have 99/105 players from OUTSIDE OF THEIR STATE? For some reason I think that means they are convincing kids to move away from home to go to Nowheresville, IN

They're not getting that many big name players anymore.

The majority of the big name players go to programs like Texas, OU, UF, LSU, Alabama, UGA, FSU, etc.

Notre Dame still lands kids based on their tradition and academic standards. They just landed a really good DE from South Florida named Aaron Lynch, but the kid's mom wanted him to go to Notre Dame for the school and that played a big part in his recruitment.

Tradition obviously plays a big factor in this too. Big 10 schools like Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan can pull in strong classes. Geography isn't everything. But it is important to a lot of kids who already come from the south.

But this original point that if you gave Boise State access to the SEC, and it would somehow elevate the program to a new level of competitiveness- it just doesn't translate. You'd literally have to re-write everything about Boise State.

Just being in the SEC doesn't mean programs like Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina are legit powerhouses.

Archived