Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I'm having the biggest craving for buffalo wings.

Maybe this whole plan of going on a diet wasn't the best idea after all.

Depends on what your definition of a diet is.

You are young enough to where you don't have to eat leaves and acorns to lose weight. All you have to do is eat sensible portions, space them out throughout the day, and develop a good cardio/weight training plan, and you will lose weight easily. And drink mostly water.

Depends on what your definition of a diet is.

You are young enough to where you don't have to eat leaves and acorns to lose weight. All you have to do is eat sensible portions, space them out throughout the day, and develop a good cardio/weight training plan, and you will lose weight easily. And drink mostly water.

That's exactly what I'm doing. 

However, it's been weeks since I had soda (Thanksgiving) and I'm trying to avoid foods high in fat so I can see results quicker. All I do is about a few miles of cardio that burn 500 calories, 4 times a week. Other than that, I've been eating mostly lean meats in modest portions.

I appreciate your input.

That's exactly what I'm doing. 

However, it's been weeks since I had soda (Thanksgiving) and I'm trying to avoid foods high in fat so I can see results quicker. All I do is about a few miles of cardio that burn 500 calories, 4 times a week. Other than that, I've been eating mostly lean meats in modest portions.

I appreciate your input.

Maybe you should increase your cardio intensity, or increase the number of days you exercise. Many ways to attack this. If you aren't doing weights, do that too. It's a necessity if you really want to get the most out of weight loss. It also revs up your metabolism and gives your body more shape. Definitely a game changer.

Honestly, if you are getting 500 cals from cardio alone, if you incorporate a weight plan, I think you can afford to drink like a can of soda a day, or a glass of fruit punch or something. It's not always about what you eat (unless you want to eat more food by eating healthier,  eating certain foods to improve your digestion system, or boost your metabolism) it's about getting under your daily calorie allowance. As long as you are eating some fruits and vegetables and stuff, you can have your buffalo wings. Trust me. You may not be able to have like 12, but you can have enough to be satisfied, and not pine for them.

If it's something that you are dead set on doing for disciplinary reasons, then I understand... Just saying that there are ways to get the best of both worlds (good eating/steady weight loss).

I've always been the type that prefers to go hard with cardio and weights (exercising twice a day and burning up to 900-1000 cals) and eat what I want when losing weight. Honestly, I eat healthier when I am doing my maintain cardio/weight routine. I have to at least get like 2100 calories a day in me. Anything less and I'll lose my mind.

Some people said that, others said Tetris...

By the way, I too have stopped drinking sodas since about August. Best decision ever. Honestly don't know if I will ever drink soda again...

Congrats. My friend/roommate is getting ready to do the same thing. He posts on here from time to time (Ricky Tan). Been trying to get him to post in the workout thread. Dude had a body like Jax. He's getting ready to start his plan too. No soda, no juice.

Personally, I think that is insane (I gotta have some poison), going cold turkey like that, but you build some serious discipline that way.

Congrats. My friend/roommate is getting ready to do the same thing. He posts on here from time to time (Ricky Tan). Been trying to get him to post in the workout thread. Dude had a body like Jax. He's getting ready to start his plan too. No soda, no juice.

Personally, I think that is insane (I gotta have some poison), going cold turkey like that, but you build some serious discipline that way.

I still drank a little Gatorade and juice every now and then, but even the times between those are starting to get further and further. I'll probably drink a little juice or something for Christmas, but that's about it.

Some people said that, others said Tetris...

By the way, I too have stopped drinking sodas since about August. Best decision ever. Honestly don't know if I will ever drink soda again...

I laughed out loud to that one. How about "The Sacramento Acid Trips"  :D

Well, once in a while really can't hurt you too much. Honestly though, from a long term perspective, it's like drinking legalized poison. The affect soda has on your bones is detrimental. 

I know a guy that literally lives off salads and sodas. I warned him a few months back and he thinks his weight loss has been healthy; little does he know his body is getting more frail by the day.

You should calculate eating healthy more by the way it makes you feel than how many pounds you lose. Ever since I've cut out soda I've felt more alert, active, and lighter at the same time. 

There are benefits to eating healthy, not denying that. It helps your memory, your alertness, your metabolism, your heart, a lot of things. I'm just saying that in regards to younger people trying to lose weight, you have more freedom. I'm 25. When I'm 35, and my body starts to metabolize less, eating healthier becomes more important for weight loss, and for the long term, when your body stops operating at a certain level. At that point you have to rely on a more stringent diet to stay at the desired level of performance.

I don't do too much of anything. Moderation is key. The only thing I allow myself to crush is water. And doing anything unhealthy on a long term basis isn't good, I agree. But I'm young... So gimme my honeybuns, double whoppers, sun chips, CFA, sweet tea, etc. I gotta get it I got got to get  it.

And yeah, anybody that does mostly sodas and salads is probably not losing good weight, even with a cardio plain. Gotta get your protein and whole grains. Reminds me of a friend of mine who said he was gonna start losing weight by eating a banana for lunch. Lol.

There are benefits to eating healthy, not denying that. It helps your memory, your alertness, your metabolism, your heart, a lot of things. I'm just saying that in regards to younger people trying to lose weight, you have more freedom. I'm 25. When I'm 35, and my body starts to metabolize less, eating healthier becomes more important for weight loss, and for the long term, when your body stops operating at a certain level. At that point you have to rely on a more stringent diet to stay at the desired level of performance.

I don't do too much of anything. Moderation is key. The only thing I allow myself to crush is water. And doing anything unhealthy on a long term basis isn't good, I agree. But I'm young... So gimme my honeybuns, double whoppers, sun chips, CFA, sweet tea, etc. I gotta get it I got got to get  it.

And yeah, anybody that does mostly sodas and salads is probably not losing good weight, even with a cardio plain. Gotta get your protein and whole grains. Reminds me of a friend of mine who said he was gonna start losing weight by eating a banana for lunch. Lol.

I would never deny you a thing.

My hubby, however, can't have any of that. He's gotta get a completely new left shoulder, and has to lose 20 before it can happen. I will need the strength of my fellow ES to get me through this. He's gonna be a bear, not only figuratively.

You can have the Sunchips, for a snack or side item, better than most others.

Some newer publications of science mags are getting more into the science of health, and what he read the other day...

all of the good things we love,(we shop at farmer's market)lead to his inflammation of his feet. So are we supposed to eat bad stuff?

Even this morning brought new challenges, just based on something he read while sitting on the john.

Sorry, just makin' sure we can help each other.LOL

Can't really give a definitive answer to that. Does he work on his feet primarily? Does he actually have a foot issue that leads to the inflammation, or is it something else?

I know generally, keeping off your feet, wearing proper footwear (Dr. Scholls type stuff) and keeping your legs elevated could help.

From a fitness standpoint, I know that excess salt intake causes swelling in certain areas, due to water retention, and leads to phantom weight gain.. Maybe a combination of all of that can help? I'm no doctor or anything like that, but that would be my best guess. Try less salty foods, and get him to drink a lot of water, keep his feet elevated and get him some better shoes with insulation.. But definitely get in touch with a doc.

I'd be embarrassed to wear that uniform and the first time I've ever hoped somebody lost, based on what they were wearing since the king of kong (greatest documentary ever).

I don't even drink soda in my rum anymore. Usually just pop a coconut open. Soda is awful.

Christmas music in the Caribbean is amazingly better than back home. Soca island beats.

I am going to get heroically drunk tonight and make every bad decision I should.

OK, maybe I haven't clarified over the last few years.

He's a kind of systems control kind of person, and can sit for hours with out having to move.  And if he doesn't have to, he'll skip meals, which hurts digestion, inflammation, and everything he friggin' reads about.  He can touch his treadmill from where his desktop is.  He'll absolutely die in front of me if he won't fix it himself.  Somebody blast me with PMs about how sausage/bacon is bad...give me reference links, so I can prove it.

Please get me out of cooking breakfast. 

OK, maybe I haven't clarified over the last few years.

He's a kind of systems control kind of person, and can sit for hours with out having to move.  And if he doesn't have to, he'll skip meals, which hurts digestion, inflammation, and everything he friggin' reads about.  He can touch his treadmill from where his desktop is.  He'll absolutely die in front of me if he won't fix it himself.  Somebody blast me with PMs about how sausage/bacon is bad...give me reference links, so I can prove it.

Please get me out of cooking breakfast. 

So he is sedentary then. Hmmm. Honestly, he really really should see a doctor/dietitian. That way they can examine him properly, rule out anything serious, and give him (and you) a rundown on things that need to change so he can get better, along with medication (if necessary).

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/dangers-eating-salty-foods-2439.html

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Eating_just_one_sausage_a_day_raises_your_cancer_risk_by_20___t163034.html

I rarely eat sausage/bacon, and when I do, I am probably either at an Ihop, or at a relatives house. I typically eat stuff like cereal, fruit, crackers, pancakes/waffles, french toast, or muffins. I don't ever eat meat. I don't know if you serve him that on a daily basis or not, but if you do, that will surely be at least one of the reasons why he has the swelling issues. With stuff like that, it's usually a series of events that snowball. Just make sue he sees a doctor. If he is too stubborn to go himself, then go with him, or find a way to let him know that his stubborness doesn't just affect him, but you as well. Thats about all I got.

Oh trust me, I completely understand what you are saying. I am by no means one of those people who think just because they exercise and eat right they will live long and healthy lives. Hell, I know somebody who got diagnosed with lung cancer; and they had never touched a cigarette in their life. 

I'm just trying to challenge myself a little. I'm 22 and up until now I've ate and drank whatever I've wanted, whenever I've wanted to. I just think its about time I make a little bit of a lifestyle change and see how long I can maintain it. I am slim and slender too, just trying to lose the jelly belly and get my weight down to what would be considered athletic.

All of those things you listed sounded so good  :D

Tell your buddy Tarzan to not go that route!

Currently on episode 5 of The Walking Dead. I really really hate the gore/zombie theme, because its played out like hell at this point, but I love this show.

I've never watched it, but I have a couple of friends who do the lighting on it. (Mike and Levi, if they're mentioned in credits...)

Archived