Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The lack of responsibility and other problems...

Spaceman Spiff

Which brings me the larger issue at hand...is it me or do people seem to be less and less responsible these days? Less responsible in their actions and less responsible for taking blame. This nailed it on the head. A large percent of people always have to have a "reason" for their personal shortcomings or failures. It is never their fault, Im overweight because McDonalds, I fail at work because so and so has it in for me, blah blah. I guess this is "easier" for a lot of people than to concede their own shortcomings and try to improve on those.

Good points. I read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation not too long ago and it gives you several different perspectives on the fast food industry. Besides the nutritional aspect of it (or lack thereof), it also points out a lot of unhealthy trends concerning the business itself, like how many private farmers have lost their livelihood because of corporate farms, and how the meat industry intentionally hires illegal immigrants because they can work them however many hours and place them in poor working conditions because they aren't supposed to be there in the first place, and they can't exactly turn to OSHA for help. You should check it out. It's an awesome book.

And about the responsibility thing...I'm going to shoot the next person who tries to sue McDonald's because they got fat from eating their food every day. Take some ****ing responsibility.

For the record, do you think someone who scarfs down a couple double quarter pounders a day should have a right to sue McDonalds?

I dunno who this was direct at, but I'm gonna answer it.

Hell ****ing no they shouldn't have the right to sue McDonalds. Take some responsibility for the crap you put into your body.

Oh, you smoked for 35 years and want to sue Phillip Morris because you have cancer? Too damn bad, get a patch and chew some gum. It's not like there isn't a surgeon generals warning on all their cartons and print ads.

Sorry to sound like a prick, but I just don't understand the viewpoint which people blame others for things they did to themselves and feel entitled to something.

excellent post spiff!

basically the only people who take responsibility anymore for consequences are the "Hate America First" crowd who blames the country for everything bad that happens on the planet.

other than that- it is always big oil, big business, "disease" that causes addiction, or television that is the root cause of all trouble. society today could not have survived the 1930s and 1940s.

we are soft and weak.

excellent post spiff!

basically the only people who take responsibility anymore for consequences are the "Hate America First" crowd who blames the country for everything bad that happens on the planet.

other than that- it is always big oil, big business, "disease" that causes addiction, or television that is the root cause of all trouble. society today could not have survived the 1930s and 1940s.

we are soft and weak.

:laugh:

1. Those who blame others are the problem

2. I blame all of them for the problem

spoiled parents spoil their spoiled kids- 20% of American kids age 18 are literally too fat to get into the military even if they had a desire to.

when I was a kid in the 1980s we spent all of our free time out on the lake, playing football, going hunting, playing war, basketball, riding bikes back and forth.

now kids sit on their fat @sses and play computer games all day long. there is a big time lack of responsibility in our entire society- start by getting rid of my fellow lawyers and things will get better :cool:

when I was a kid in the 1980s we spent all of our free time out on the lake, playing football, going hunting, playing war, basketball, riding bikes back and forth.

now kids sit on their fat @sses and play computer games all day long. there is a big time lack of responsibility in our entire society- start by getting rid of my fellow lawyers and things will get better :cool:

It's funny, my friend and I have talked about this. I was born in 81, so I can relate...but I feel like our generation was the last generation who'd get up on a saturday morning, watch a cartoon or two, then go ride bikes all around the neighborhood and our parents wouldn't have to worry about where we were or what we were doing. I don't see much of that today.

It's funny, my friend and I have talked about this. I was born in 81, so I can relate...but I feel like our generation was the last generation who'd get up on a saturday morning, watch a cartoon or two, then go ride bikes all around the neighborhood and our parents wouldn't have to worry about where we were or what we were doing. I don't see much of that today.

I can tell you right now, no child of mine is going to be sitting inside all day on a Saturday, unless there is a tornado watch.

I couldn't agree with the spirit of this thread more!

It seems like everyone now is looking to blame someone for everything. No one seems to want to stand up and be accountable for his/her choices anymore.

If I eat at McDonalds several times a week, I can't blame anyone but myself if I gain weight. If I slack off at work, I can't blame anyone but myself if I don't get a raise or get laid off. If I spend money all weekend getting wasted, I can't blame anyone but myself if I can't save money. The list goes on and on, but no one seems willing to blame themselves anymore.

When I was growing up, my parents made me aware that 99% of the things that happened to me were well within my control. There are the occassional things you cannot control, but more often than not, you can avoid bad things or make good thing happen for yourself.

Great thread SS.

This thread has several valid arguments. Let me address the main one.

There is an overwhelming lack of responsibility among people in our nation.

Whether it's dead-beat dad's or crimes such as rampant theft, drug use, or murder, people don't think about or want to face the consequences for their actions. Why is this? My opinion is that respect for higher authority is not taught anymore, and since I am a Christian, my personal opinion extends that respect to God who is the ultimate authority .

Think about the example we are setting for our kids when we do things such as cheat on our taxes or lie to people and say it's "alright" given the circumstances. We need to practice what we preach and lead by example.

Thank you Sigmund Freud!

http://aabss.org/journal2002/PRobinson.htm

"While Freud must be given credit, more than any other single person, for prompting the discipline of psychology to study the motivational dimension of personality, he also deserves some credit for initiating what could be described as the biggest hoax in the psychology of learning, a hoax that continues to this day. Based on anecdotal information, the writings of early philosophers such as Plato, and little empirical validation, early psychoanalysts identified parental punishment as a detrimental procedure prompted by religious encouragement to try to bring about behavior change in children. A close look at the large wave of research on delinquency and aggressive behavior in children published in the 1950's identified parental permissiveness rather than parental punishment to be the key family discipline related factor for causing delinquency and aggression."

I guess its true: "spare the rod, spoil the child"

He who spares the rod hates his son,

but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Proverbs 13:24

This thread has several valid arguments. Let me address the main one.

There is an overwhelming lack of responsibility among people in our nation.

Whether it's dead-beat dad's or crimes such as rampant theft, drug use, or murder, people don't think about or want to face the consequences for their actions. Why is this? My opinion is that respect for higher authority is not taught anymore, and since I am a Christian, my personal opinion extends that respect to God who is the ultimate authority .

Respect for each other would suffice!

Respect for each other would suffice!

That makes me laugh for the following reason. These actions by McDonalds are actually the epitome of disrespect. They are basically saying "we are going to put the info that our food is horrible for you RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!" and you are STILL going to eat it because you either A. dont have any self control, or B. are too dumb to care.

They have no respect, they are treating their client base like 8 year olds.

That makes me laugh for the following reason. These actions by McDonalds are actually the epitome of disrespect. They are basically saying "we are going to put the info that our food is horrible for you RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!" and you are STILL going to eat it because you either A. dont have any self control, or B. are too dumb to care.

revealing the truth is only offensive if done in an offensive or a judgemental way

Pretty much. It is disrespectful and clever at the same time. First they make a token gesture of posting the "nutritional value of their food" (that's an oxymoron!). But you have to buy it first so they still win big!:puke:

Everyone should see that "Supersize" movie.

It's not treating their clients like 8-year-olds. If it was for 8-year-olds, the outside of Happy Meals would read: "WARNING: Eating this turns you into a fatty."

Using nutritional labels is treating their clients like yuppie calorie-counting fad dieters ... people who are arguably taking too much responsibility for what they eat.

You know what I love about this thread? The number of people blaming parents, and blaming atheists, and pretty much blaming everyone but themselves for the moral decline of our nation in thread about lack of responsibility. You can't write this stuff!

And DjTj, you really think that being aware of the approximate number of calories you consume each day is a sign that you are paying too much attention to what you eat? It would seem to me like that's basic health information every one should know.

You know what I love about this thread? The number of people blaming parents, and blaming atheists, and pretty much blaming everyone but themselves for the moral decline of our nation in thread about lack of responsibility. You can't write this stuff!

And DjTj, you really think that being aware of the approximate number of calories you consume each day is a sign that you are paying too much attention to what you eat? It would seem to me like that's basic health information every one should know.

Pretty much what I was getting at earlier. People, particularly parents, need to start leading by example and being consistent in their lives.

I know for a fact that when you give a kid boundaries, they perform better. They may say the don't like it, and they will certainly test them, but structure is good.

Excuses excuses, man. Everybody knows fast food isn't healthy. I don't need a nutritional chart to tell me that, it's common sense. Don't eat fast food everyday, k? Get it, got it, good.

The sad thing is there are many people who make fast food the staple of their diet. It's their rice and beans, their bread and cheese, their milk and honey, their meat and potatoes. Their heart attack.

:laugh: I was trying to make a joke, but I suppose I've never been one to pay close attention to everything that I eat ...

There is some sort of economic efficiency argument here about whether the people who actually read the labels are simply driving up the cost of Big Macs for the rest of us, but I'm not really all that concerned about being priced out of McDonald's.

In any case, what's kind of amusing is that every point you try to make in this thread seems to go over everyone's head. Maybe we need more personal responsibility in reading comprehension.

Archived