Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mort Chat: Believes GW will stay...

Dirk Diggler

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10259

Patti (DC): Do you think that Greg Williams will leave Washington to take a head coaching job? If so, where do you see him going?

Chris Mortensen: (11:59 AM ET ) I don't think Greg Williams takes any job. He would probably jump for the Houston Texans job, but I think they'll hire an guy with a background on offense. I think Redskins owner Dan Snyder will do everything he can to keep Williams around. :applause:

Patti (DC): Do you think that Greg Williams will leave Washington to take a head coaching job? If so, where do you see him going?

Chris Mortensen: (11:59 AM ET ) I don't think Greg Williams takes any job. He would probably jump for the Houston Texans job, but I think they'll hire an guy with a background on offense. I think Redskins owner Dan Snyder will do everything he can to keep Williams around. :applause:

I sure hope so. I also think that a serious playoff push may also help keep him around.

Williams has said that he likes it here and that his family likes it here. I think he is settled in and would have to be offered a golden opportunity to leave. I also think he will take over when Gibbs leaves. I also get the impression that he does not like to simply get up and go at every opportunity.

Anthony (NY, NY): I have always maintained that Patrick Ramsey is a very good quarterback. Since the Redskins see to be trading him in the offseason what do you think they can get for him?

Chris Mortensen: Ramsey probably can fetch a third or second round pick. He made plays the other day and if he gets a chance this weekend and does well, it can't hurt his value.

Carey SC: The Panthers got Jake Delhomme from the Saints and the Seahawks got Hassleback from the Packers...any other backups you see as a future starter in the league?

Chris Mortensen: Off the top of my head, I'd say Matt Schaub (Atl), Billy Volek (tenn.), Patrick Ramsey (Wash) Phillip Rivers (SD), Tim Rattay (Tampa), .... maybe Tony Romo sits to pee (Dallas)...that was not in any particular order and I'm sure I'm leaving somebody out.

I sure hope Mort is right. I've maintained from the day GW was hired that there is some sort of unwritten understanding about him staying on after Gibbs' five years as head coach, assuming that is what he wants. Snyder is going to pay him, so money will not be an issue. The issue is whether he is happy here (which we all believe he is and he indicates he is) and whether he can wait to be a head coach until Gibbs leave. Knowing he'd be "inheriting" a good program, with a good solid foundation, I can't see him being that impatient and going somewhere else.

At least I can dream and pray that is how it all plays out.

People have mentioned that perhaps GW may not be the person to be head coach when Gibbs leaves. I think GW is learning from one of the best, if not the best as far as developing a program. And I think he would be an excellent fit when that time comes.

For my money, GW only leaves for a plum head coaching gig and Houston aint one of them.

My definition of plum gig = great front office/GM, great owner willing to spend on players/coaches/facilities etc, and great tradition. There's only about 6-8 of these jobs out there in the whole NFL.

GW knows he can grab the Skins reins in a year or 2 so he's only going to leave for an equal or better opportunity NOW. It aint about the money at all - we know Snyder is going to make him the highest paid coordinator in league history this offseason - I'm guessing 3 mill per year. That's mid-range head coach money and just as much as he could make being the top guy.

Do the math now that Baltimore has come out and backed Billick: Houston, Detroit, Minny, Oakland, St. Louis, New Orleans will need new coaches for sure. Kansas City, Green Bay, and Buffalo are maybes.

How many of these positions fit my definition as a plum gig? Only Kansas City. If Vermeil stays on for another year, I will have no worries about GW coming back. If Vermeil retires, there will be some sleepless nights. :(

Oh, well, hell, If MORT said it, then it must be .. um well, it might be,, .. no, well, maybe it is.. ..

Hell, if MORT said it then it just might...uh...

If MORT said it , he probably has sources that told him... umm..

Oh hell, if MORT said it, it's got about a 23% chance of being factual.

But hey! That's 23% more percent than he had when he said Spurrier was going to the Dolphins!

barneymort.gif

~Bang

stay here = stability for family, make a lot of money, learn from a veteran staff what he did wrong in his first stint, when Gibbs is ready he takes over a team he already knows. - Sounds logical.

I agree there will be an offensive-minded coach in Houston next year.

Archived