Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

hypothetical trade...

MissU28

Hahah, so true. Thats why pretty girls always have nice cars. Everyone wants to talk about white males having all the advantages. Not even a close, if you are a girl that people don't mind looking at, the world is yours.

Yeah, pretty girls have all the advantages and we guys keep:notworthy to them.

Hypothetical does not mean the same as wishful.

CP is very much a core member of this team.......and very much in the heart of it.

Since you asked the question, could this be a possiblity..the answer is no.

Blondie

1) I was not saying that hypothetical and wishful were synonyms... I was just adding on that it is my wishful thinking

2) portis has been here 2 years. Yes, he's stuck around longer than smoot or gardner or coles and a lot of others... but if he were traded I wouldn't feel like the team was going to be less "redskin-esque". He is no Darrell Green.

Since it's hypothetical, let's just assume for arguments sake that SD is willing to part with LT for Portis. We still couldn't do it because of the cap hit. This is what people on this board (sorry, I'm not singling you out - this happens constantly) don't understand. When you trade a player, his signing bonus is immediately accelerated into the salary cap for the current year. Say a player signs a 6 year contract with a $12m signing bonus. Each year his bonus costs $2m against the cap. Trade him after the first year, and the entire remaining $10m is counted on that year (remember the $9m hit we took for Coles). Portis' bonus I think was around $15m, so trading him would mean he'd cost over $10m, which would put us WAY over the cap. LT is NOT $10m better than Portis. In essence, you'd be forfeiting a WR, and a DE for the difference between LT and CP. Which would you rather have: Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, and an extra defensive lineman; or LT?

Since it's hypothetical, let's just assume for arguments sake that SD is willing to part with LT for Portis. We still couldn't do it because of the cap hit. This is what people on this board (sorry, I'm not singling you out - this happens constantly) don't understand. When you trade a player, his signing bonus is immediately accelerated into the salary cap for the current year. Say a player signs a 6 year contract with a $12m signing bonus. Each year his bonus costs $2m against the cap. Trade him after the first year, and the entire remaining $10m is counted on that year (remember the $9m hit we took for Coles). Portis' bonus I think was around $15m, so trading him would mean he'd cost over $10m, which would put us WAY over the cap. LT is NOT $10m better than Portis. In essence, you'd be forfeiting a WR, and a DE for the difference between LT and CP. Which would you rather have: Clinton Portis, Reggie Wayne, and an extra defensive lineman; or LT?

good argument. I suppose the possibility is slim to none. Oh, well.

by the numbers

RNK NAME ATT YDS AVG YPG LNG TD FUM LST

7 L. Tomlinson RB, SDG 306 1323 4.3 94.5 62 17 2 0

8 C. Portis RB, WAS 298 1296 4.3 92.6 47 8 3 2

only thing he shines in (over portis) is TDs...which is pretty much a offensive line thing not to mention offensive scheme thing...

so this trade makes baby jesus cry.

It was just something I was thinking about last week... I mentioned it to a couple friends and they thought it was silly, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Don't worry, I ain't raggin ya. I've just spent awhile debating Rivers/Campbell in another thread, so the timing was funny to me.

And for what its worth, I think LT is great. ...But, I think the same of Portis. And Portis does a bang up job in pass protection, and that is immeasurable. To me, he just seems like a great team player. Not that LT isn't, but I don't think its worth the price or damage to chemistry to bring LT in.

Clint is doin just fine.

1) I was not saying that hypothetical and wishful were synonyms... I was just adding on that it is my wishful thinking

2) portis has been here 2 years. Yes, he's stuck around longer than smoot or gardner or coles and a lot of others... but if he were traded I wouldn't feel like the team was going to be less "redskin-esque". He is no Darrell Green.

There are no other players in the league who have been with one team for 20 years. NONE of our players could be compared to DG........nor any other player in the league.

Smoot was here 4 years. He was drafted by the Skins.....so no, CP has not been here longer than Smoot. Gardner was also here 4 years......and he too was drafted by the Skins. CP has been here two years....and most can see he is making a difference in the backfield chemistry. And I can attest he is buying into this team and wants to win badly.

Blondie

only way it would happen is if for some reason, portis wants out of washington and LT wants out of san diego given the appropriate party would be willing to take a cut due to the Salary cap. it could get complicated but like i said, if both of them wants out of their team, im sure something could be done.

There are no other players in the league who have been with one team for 20 years. NONE of our players could be compared to DG........nor any other player in the league.

Smoot was here 4 years. He was drafted by the Skins.....so no, CP has not been here longer than Smoot. Gardner was also here 4 years......and he too was drafted by the Skins. CP has been here two years....and most can see he is making a difference in the backfield chemistry. And I can attest he is buying into this team and wants to win badly.

Blondie

well, like I said, I have no hatred or even dislike for Portis. I was just posing a question. Just thinking in the perspective of amount of touchdowns in comparison. Thank you for the correction in the numbers of years for the other guys...that was my blonde moment (we're all allowed to have them).

Portis may be the closest thing to Darrell Green on the Redskins right now. Not in terms of years with the team, but in terms of work ethic and putting the team before himself. The guy has done everything Gibbs has asked of him and thensome. He's run very hard, he's gives up his body every week to block for Brunell, he works very hard with the team in the offseason, and he even changed his style and sacrificed some numbers a bit to fit into Gibbs' offense. On top of all that, he dressed up like a clown to take the bright lights of the media off of Gibbs and the team when the team was struggling. I am a huge Portis fan, and I wouldn't trade him for any back in the league, and I'd bet good money Gibbs would agree with me. If you ask me, Portis IS the heart of the Redskins.

Okay. Clinton Portis has a MAJOR contract with the skins, making millions of dollars. LT is over in San Diego making the same amount (if not less), putting up better numbers and just being RIDICULOUS.

WHAT IF...

We could trade Portis for LT... We could afford to pay LT a little more, and since they're already paying so much for LT, the Chargers could afford to take Portis.

Now, I know this would of course be to OUR benefit, but could this be a possibility? I know they both signed 8-year contracts to their respective teams, but I think it would be fantastic. I mean, I'm no hater of Clinton or anything, but can you imagine our team with Ladainian Tomlinson on it? We would never have to worry about quarterback controversies anymore ;)

Sorry, There is NO WAY I would want this trade, Clinton is an Animal his team-mates LOVE him. He is all over the field helping on every play. LT has 17 TD's to Clintons but only 27 more rushing yards. LT has been with that team for 5 years now, this is only Clinton's 2nd year with us. LT is great , But Clinton is a REDSKIN!!! :cheers:

Also, I think he is playing up to his potential. I think the NFC especially the East have much better defense's than the AFC.

If I started the same topic, there would be five pages already of what an idiot I am, Portis is the beast, he is getting better, it would never happen, etc. The things girls can get away with.

:laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: We all know this to be true!!

even if this trade were to cme about i'm not even sure i would like it. CP is growing in the sytem and the LAST thing the redskins need is a change in our offense again. there needs to be stability in washington for this team to ever be as good on the field as it is on paper. also, CP is a hell of a blocker and a few years younger than LT. and i don't care what people say...those costumes he wears on thursdays are f'ing hilarious...HAIL!!!

Okay. Clinton Portis has a MAJOR contract with the skins, making millions of dollars. LT is over in San Diego making the same amount (if not less), putting up better numbers and just being RIDICULOUS.

WHAT IF...

We could trade Portis for LT... We could afford to pay LT a little more, and since they're already paying so much for LT, the Chargers could afford to take Portis.

Now, I know this would of course be to OUR benefit, but could this be a possibility? I know they both signed 8-year contracts to their respective teams, but I think it would be fantastic. I mean, I'm no hater of Clinton or anything, but can you imagine our team with Ladainian Tomlinson on it? We would never have to worry about quarterback controversies anymore ;)

Give me a break!

Archived