Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best use of a Song in a Movie

Cannon2

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings, Op. 11" in "Platoon" when Sgt. Elias is killed. Barber's music fit that scene perfectly.

I've seen "Platoon" a dozen times...that music combined with Elias running for his life ALWAYS gave me chills. Makes you feel as if you are watching history on screen, as if that scene had probably played itself out hundreds of times in real life during the Vietnam War.

That piece makes me depressed-and that's how you know it's a powerful piece of music. Outstanding.

Chopin Ballade No. 1 from The Pianist freakin' awesome scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odZnuqZhkS8

Can't Find My Way Home - Fandango

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Blow

Layla - Goodfellas

Yea, those were great ones. . . It's funny, although the original one was a few years ago, the same few popped into my head when reading this thread. . .

Innagaddadavida- Manhunter (that song and scene made the movie)

Ride of the Valkyries- Apocalypse Now Beach storming

Carmina Burina- Excalibur fight scene

Some others worth mentioning. . .

Layla- Goodfellas

Don't Fear the Reaper- The Stand

Carmen- Breaking away

Nadia's Theme- Bless the Beasts and the Children (I saw this when I was like 7 years old, and it still sticks with me)

In Your Eyes- Say Anything

One of the most powerful, ironic uses of music was in "Good Morning, Vietnam" when Louis Armstrong croons "What a Wonderful World" juxtaposed over a montage of war bombings and violence.

On a lighter note, how about Otis Day and the Knights singing "Shout" in "Animal House"?

"That Thing You Do" was a good-hearted, unappreciated movie about a one-hit rock and roll band in the 1960's. Their one hit "That Thing You Do" was written just for this movie. It had to be believable as a pop hit of the day, and it succeeded. In fact it actually became a minor Billboard music hit in its own right.

One of the most powerful, ironic uses of music was in "Good Morning, Vietnam" when Louis Armstrong croons "What a Wonderful World" juxtaposed over a montage of war bombings and violence.

Another good call! :cheers: X already mentioned this movie, but some of the other great songs in that movie were Nowhere to Run, Sugar & Spice, and I Get Around. Great, great movie.

I might have to turn in my man card for this one, but:

Bittersweet Symphony (The Verve Pipe) - Cruel Intentions

As a big fan of the Verve, I can't let this by. The Verve Pipe were a one hit (if you can call it that) college band.

The Verve did Bittersweet Symphony.

And they're an excellent band.

as to the topic, I always liked The Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now

~Bang

As a big fan of the Verve, I can't let this by. The Verve Pipe were a one hit (if you can call it that) college band.

The Verve did Bittersweet Symphony.

And they're an excellent band.

Ah yeah - The Verve Pipe did Freshmen, and The Verve did Bittersweet Symphony. I always get those confused. :laugh:

Archived