Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Poker Craze

Spaceman Spiff

I'm tired of it. I'm sorry, I really am. I'm tired of ESPN showing it all the time and trying to pass off these card players like they're "athletes." Please.

I've played before and it's easy to see why people like it. I just don't have the patience to learn it. Rounders actually is one of my favorite movies, but it seems like everyone wants to be Mike McDermott because espn now gives the world series of poker more airtime and advertising. I'm sorry, I don't think I could get as excited for a hand of poker as I could for game 7 of the world series of baseball or the superbowl.

What do you guys think? Is the craze here to stay or will it die out?

It'll die off soon. I've been playing poker for years and I even like to watch it on TV occasionally, but it has 'fad' written all over it. I think poker shows have already over-saturated the market. SWOP, WPT, Celebrity Poker Showdown ... I think I saw a show where NASCAR drivers were playing (badly I might add.)

I don't think it will ever totally go away, but things will settle down eventually.

I agree that this fad will die down eventually. I don't know what ESPN's #'s are on the WSOP, but dragging it out until November is just crazy.

I know plenty of people who watch poker all the time, it's usually a last resort for me. Right after ESPNews & the Game Show network.

The only upside is so many people are playing, a scrub like me could get lucky in one of these tournaments & make some decent money. Like the WPT event at the borgata next weekend. I'm gonna turn 65 bucks into 2 million!

And it's suckers like me who keep this fad going.......

I don't get it. Never been into it and find it about as exciting as watching grass grow. The people who love it defend it like they're defending the Alamo. I just can't relate to it. They think it's the biggest thing since the NFL and I just don't understand.

It's called the "Chris Moneymaker" effect. This dude turned $40 bucks into two million now every Joe Schmoe thinks he can do the same. I don't remember poker being this big before 2003 when he won it. I started playing a few years before it blew up and I love it, but even I kinda cringe at how big it's gotten.

It definitely is way overblown. I wouldn't mind it if they showed one new episode on Tues nights, and then repeat it late at night a couple times, or something like that. But this WSOP marathon on Tuesdays is absurd. They repeat nealry every past episode before the new one, so pretty soon, the new episode will be shown on Wed mornings. This is the first year I was a little interested in watching it, but I'm already sick of it and the main event is still a month away. :doh: There's no way it stays like this for more than another year or two. It is a complete joke that it is on ESPN, much less that it takes up about a quarter of their weekly broadcasting. These guys are literally the complete opposite of athletes. I don't mind some of the some of the poker on other networks, like WPT, or the Celebrity Poker events, because they are held to one showing a week. I like to watch the Celebrity Poker events, they can be funny if they get good celebs. But ESPN is running the WSOP into the ground, and taking their respectability as a sports network with it.

Actually, I like watching the WPT stuff on the Travel channel. Usually some pretty good poker being played, and it is educational to see how the pros play.

I agree that it is a fad and will go away eventually.

Just curious, but how do online sites like pokerstars.com make money on free online poker? I always wondered about that...

Jason

Actually, I like watching the WPT stuff on the Travel channel. Usually some pretty good poker being played, and it is educational to see how the pros play.

I agree that it is a fad and will go away eventually.

Just curious, but how do online sites like pokerstars.com make money on free online poker? I always wondered about that...

Jason

Sponsor ads

you do have the option on pokerstars to play for money so im guessing the rake from that makes them enough, just a guess

Yeah, but being a free site, I assume that to mean they don't take any fees to enter betting tables. I have read though that some of these sites may send coolers in, so maybe they bring in some money off of them too.

Archived