Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I don't get..."

Spaceman Spiff

GrapeApe... I agree for the most part. The only time I can recall being WOWED at movies:

(1) The Matrix

(2) LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings.

And comedian Richard Lewis... he's SO not funny... it angers me to near death when I see his face on TV.

The fact that he's a celebrity makes me want to kill myself.

Originally posted by jrockster77

He was definitely great; I'm sure you know more about guitar history than I do. I haven't studied it at all, just what I know from casual reading and such. And some opinion thrown in as well. ;)

No biggie... I've learned a ton of Hendrix and EVH songs over the years, bottom line is that both of them are/were amazing players that inspired millions to be like them.

Originally posted by sith lord

Come on, you know you can't judge "true" talent by the amount of popularity an artist achieve or the amount of albums he/she has sold. Is Modonna a revolutionary artist? What about Eminem or 50 cent? I would say no. but are they very popular? Yes. Do they sell a lot of albums? Yes.

1st off, spell Madonna correctly if you are going to reference her.

Secondly, You are right, its not necessarily about the amount of records you sell. Its about your influence on your society, the mastery of your craft, and your influence on those who follow in your footsteps.

Originally posted by Die Hard

GrapeApe... I agree for the most part. The only time I can recall being WOWED at movies:

(1) The Matrix

(2) LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings.

And comedian Richard Lewis... he's SO not funny... it angers me to near death when I see his face on TV.

Both amazing movies. The Matrix blew me away!

I haven't really seen enough of Richard Lewis to form an opinion on him.

Lewis Black is hilarious.

i don't get Oprah. maybe it's cuz i'm a guy, but damn. i don't need her telling me what to read, how to lose weight (that's easy-- hire a personal trainer and a chef, and do what they tell you), or anything else...

i don't get Celine Dion. do i need a reason?

i don't get Cher for the same non-reason.

i don't get Christmas Carols. almost all of them suck ( i like "o holy night" and "little drummer boy" bowie version, "x-mas in hollis"). if i hear the "12 days of christmas" i might freak out. why do we have to listen to carols around the holiday. we don't listen to songs about bunnies and eggs around easter? is it just because someone hasn't written it yet? potential gold-mine! we don't listen to the Monster Mash every Holloween... why do people have to hear crappy music to get them in the mood for a holiday?

and this isn't some form of pop-culture, but...

i don't get people that don't use their blinkers when they drive. it's right there! just figure out what direction you intend to go and turn on the blinker. it's not often you have to make a quick decision which lane to get into and don't have time to notify everybody around you! it just really irks me.

Reality TV I don't understand the utter fascination with this at all.

New Rap music, I like the older stuff by Tu Pac, Eazy E and Biggie but the new stuff just blows.

Napoleon Dynamite, don't get I turned that one off half an hour into it I couldn't stand it.

Originally posted by codeorama

This is not a Hendrix bash, but because he didn't stay in tune and his recordings were very lo fi and his tone often sucked.

Those can all be spun as positives as well, but I appreciate Hendrix, but I honestly only enjoy a few of his songs. That doesn't mean I don't respect how he changed guitar playing, I just can't get past how bad it sounds.

no offense to you code... but that is an absurd statement.

It was the tones that Hendrix got from his guitar that brought him recognition among the greats such as BB King and Howlin Wolf... i.e. the 'belly' tone that they referred to in Castles Made of Sand...

that tone has yet to be duplicated.

And he did it with anolog equipment on an upside down fender.

And you say that his tone often sucked? :doh:

Do a google on BB King quotes about Hendrix... I'll pull the quote when I get home if I remember... Hendrix INVENTED tone. :doh:

I dont get the new boxy Scion van from Toyota. Who finds that attractive in any way? Probably the same peope who liked the Plymouth Aztec. I dont get people who think that Terrorists at Gtmo need their rights protected. I will never get chitlins.

Originally posted by Die Hard

:notworthy

That guy is TERRIBLE. I cringe every time I hear him. Who are these people that find him funny? Honestly, it makes me wonder about the human race sometimes....

Originally posted by zoony

no offense to you code... but that is an absurd statement.

It was the tones that Hendrix got from his guitar that brought him recognition among the greats such as BB King and Howlin Wolf... i.e. the 'belly' tone that they referred to in Castles Made of Sand...

that tone has yet to be duplicated.

And he did it with anolog equipment on an upside down fender.

And you say that his tone often sucked? :doh:

Do a google on BB King quotes about Hendrix... I'll pull the quote when I get home if I remember... Hendrix INVENTED tone. :doh:

Tone is subjective. I can't stand his tone for the most part, a few songs it's ok, but each person is different.

The question was why more people don't "get" Hendrix, I was trying to give an honest answer, his "tone" was thin.

I would say the same about Cream era Clapton as well. I"ve tried to get into him but can't get past the sound.

However, you take someone from the past, that didn't have modern comparisons, and yes, maybe his (and Eric's) tone rocked big time.

Originally posted by GoSkinsGo

Napoleon Dynamite, don't get I turned that one off half an hour into it I couldn't stand it.

This is definitely one of those movies that is more enjoyable to talk about than it is to actually watch it.

Archived