Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I don't get..."

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Anyone have a band or a movie or a TV show that everyone else seems to hail as great but you just "don't get?"

For me its the Eagles (hotel california aside) and the Clash. Sorry, I just don't get it.

What about the rest of you, what bands, movies or shows do you not "get"?

I don't get blind loyalty to this administration. :D

Originally posted by sith lord

Typical. Just because I'm not Beatle crazy, I don't know what I'm talking about. Trust me, all the singers I mentioned would of sung circles around Paul, John, George and Ringo. And to me, the Wings were better than the Beatles.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm a fan of everyone you mentioned as well, but to me, the Beatles are an anomaly which we will never see again. They were without a doubt, the greatest songwriters in popular music, a hit machine. And they had damn-good voices, too! But this thread is about what you don't get, so it isn't my place to tell you what you 'should' get.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm a fan of everyone you mentioned as well, but to me, the Beatles are an anomaly which we will never see again. They were without a doubt, the greatest songwriters in popular music, a hit machine. And they had damn-good voices, too! But this thread is about what you don't get, so it isn't my place to tell you what you 'should' get.

I love Motown and I love the Beatles. But they didn't all have great voices; Ringo was pretty bad....even though Yellow Submarine is still a great song!

I personally think Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album are two of the greatest records of all time. Just my opinion, though...

Originally posted by jrockster77

I personally think Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album are two of the greatest records of all time. Just my opinion, though...

I don't know how many of you knew this, but on the Sgt peppers LP, the record wouldn't stop. IT would just be a never ending loop of the talking at the end of the album. They also incorporated sounds that only animals can hear in an attempt to make them howl during the silent spots on the record.

Originally posted by Clutch03

Pulp Fiction … it had good dialogue. But I just don’t get why everyone likes it so much. I saw it once and I was so upset that everyone had hyped this movie up. I don’t usually tell people this because it usually leads to an argument.

Yeah, them's fightin' words.

Pulp Fiction is probably the best dark comedy ever made! You're right about the dialouge...word for word probably the funniest script of all time.

When Jules and Vincent are arguing over the Wolf's manners while cleaning the car of brain and skull and blood, is probably my favorite scene in movie history. Classic.

Originally posted by China

I don't get...baseball (at least watching it on TV). Boring :snore:

I agree.

I could probably watch a MLB playoff game on TV... if one of my children was a starter for one of the teams playing (and I don't have children yet). Even then, I think I would be bored. Same with soccer. I went to a MLB game a few years ago. I was bored after the first inning.

Songwriting is hard. A talented artist or band has maybe 5 or 10 memorable, unique songs. You know, like Creedence or Green Day or Prince or the Ramones. Good bands have a handful of signature songs that you sing along with when they come on the radio.

A great artist or band with a long career, like the Who or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan or the Beach Boys can come up with a few more, maybe 15-20.

The Beatles have so many more memorable songs than anyone else it's not even funny. You may not like them all, they may not be your favorite band, but there are a ton of memorable songs there. And if you add the ones that Lennon wrote as a Beatle but held back until he went solo (and even the few by Wings that didn't suck), there are even more.

My favorite band is Talking Heads. But I don't even pretend that they were as important/talented as the Beatles.

Originally posted by Predicto

Songwriting is hard. A talented artist or band has maybe 5 or 10 memorable, unique songs. You know, like Creedence or Green Day or Prince or the Ramones. Good bands have a handful of signature songs that you sing along with when they come on the radio.

A great artist or band with a long career, like the Who or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan or the Beach Boys can come up with a few more, maybe 15-20.

The Beatles have so many more memorable songs than anyone else it's not even funny. You may not like them all, they may not be your favorite band, but there are a ton of memorable songs there. And if you add the ones that Lennon wrote as a Beatle but held back until he went solo (and even the few by Wings that didn't suck), there are even more.

My favorite band is Talking Heads. But I don't even pretend that they were as important/talented as the Beatles.

Good point. Take their admittedly least favorite album, the White Album. We have 10-15 of those memorable songs on that one album. Songs that were used in Nike commercials (Revolution). Became themes for movies (Helter Skelter). TV show title songs: Life Goes On (Ob-la-di, ob-la-da). Songs that became themselves, cultural icons (Birthday), and songs that became mega hits (Back in the USSR, Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps) covered countless numbers of times by other famous artists. That's just the tip of it. Notice how I'm avoiding 'Revolution 9'… that's one that I just don't get. :)

Bob Dylan. Can't sing, can't play guitar, can't play harmonica. The only explanation I can come up with for his success is that people fell in love with him in the 60's while in a drug induced stupor, and just stayed with him after that.

I was gonna totally mention "Pulp Fiction" but someone already did.

What I don't get is stupid people who trade in their huge SUVs for these little hybrids. People, you will never recoup what you lost on the trade ins. When I calculated it out, it will take you something like 5-7 years to recoup the savings. Ridiculous.

I read an article where a hybrid Accord would take a couple of years to beat the cost savings of a regular accord. Give it up. Your not saving any money. Gas is cheaper now(inflation) then it was during the 70's energy crises.

And don't give me that saving the environment bull****... until you bring your own freaking cups to Starbucks or bike to work, shut the hell up.

Bet on diesel!

Originally posted by zoony

code... you'll hate me for this.... but I don't get Anna Kournikova.

Don't get me wrong... she's o.k. But what is so special about her? Honestly I see tons of better looking women on a daily basis.

I know you don't get her, I do....

Originally posted by DC_Hokie

I was gonna totally mention "Pulp Fiction" but someone already did.

What I don't get is stupid people who trade in their huge SUVs for these little hybrids. People, you will never recoup what you lost on the trade ins. When I calculated it out, it will take you something like 5-7 years to recoup the savings. Ridiculous.

I read an article where a hybrid Accord would take a couple of years to beat the cost savings of a regular accord. Give it up. Your not saving any money. Gas is cheaper now(inflation) then it was during the 70's energy crises.

And don't give me that saving the environment bull****... until you bring your own freaking cups to Starbucks or bike to work, shut the hell up.

Bet on diesel!

It really sucks how this country seems to hate diesel fuel. They think it's filthy and full of pollutants. Diesel gets better gas milage and is a very clean burning fuel (for an oil product). If only they would develop diesel hybrids.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

Good point. Take their admittedly least favorite album, the White Album. We have 10-15 of those memorable songs on that one album. Songs that were used in Nike commercials (Revolution). Became themes for movies (Helter Skelter). TV show title songs: Life Goes On (Ob-la-di, ob-la-da). Songs that became themselves, cultural icons (Birthday), and songs that became mega hits (Back in the USSR, Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps) covered countless numbers of times by other famous artists. That's just the tip of it. Notice how I'm avoiding 'Revolution 9'… that's one that I just don't get. :)

You can look at any Beatles album and find at least 5 hits. They had so many number one hits it was ridiculous. And as you pointed out, there music has integrated into our culture; you hear Beatles songs everywhere; they are unavoidable!

Originally posted by BlueTalon

Bob Dylan. Can't sing, can't play guitar, can't play harmonica. The only explanation I can come up with for his success is that people fell in love with him in the 60's while in a drug induced stupor, and just stayed with him after that.

It was the songwriting. He wrote a lot of truly powerful songs, even if most of them sound better when someone else performs them.

Archived